Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Organized, cooperative, hard worker, friendly
Booking Clerk (Former Employee), Foothills HospitalMarch 29, 2016
Pros: patient feedback
Cons: workload
A typical day at work is non stop, very busy workload and non stop communication both verbal and written. Constant communication with patients, doctors by phone, computer and several computer programs. I have learned how to prioritize my workload and be more flexible to handle unexpected changes to best suit patients and certain circumstances. Workload was the hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the patient satisfaction.
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Opportunity for Advancement
Cons: Parking is costly at some locations
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons: Under-resourced at the leadership level
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Pros: company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons: reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
Cons: overcapacity
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Positive, encouraging environment to work in which has provided me with personal and professional growth throughout the years.
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee), PLC, ACH, SHC, SAFPCJanuary 20, 2016
Cons: Shift work, switch between days and nights.
Assist families during crisis, work hand in hand with Mental Health Staff, respond to any disturbances/suspicious activity, ensure patients under treatment are being safe and not causing harm to self or others, work hand in hand with CPS,EMS,Fire and STARS.
Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Work/Life balance
Cons: Decision making by management was an extensive process
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
Amazing experience in ED
Emergency Department Volunteer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Volunteering in ED has been an amazing experience. Have learned how to handle many different situations as well as help save lives every shift. While shifts are short and only 3 hours each, I prefer to take 2 shifts in a row. The people, staff volunteers and patients, are amazing and super understanding.
Supportive workplace
Registered Nurse/Addictions Counselor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 1, 2016
Working in a fast paced environment with supportive colleagues & leadership team allows for a continued positive learning experience. I have learned to facilitate workshops & groups to a wide range of clientele while also managing a case load & providing individual or family counselling.
Easy and Fun to work
Food Service 1 (Current Employee), Red deer Hospital NFS departmentMarch 8, 2016
This is nice company to work in but few hours because of many employees. The staff are very friendly and very dependable. I work as a food preparer on hot line and Cold line. After the serving of food we wait for the dishes to come down and wash it all. My work only starts at 4:15pm and ends at 7:15pm (3 hours).
Managment is horrible and hateful.
Clerk II (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 13, 2016
Pros: Managment
Cons: Coworkers
DO NOT stand up for yourself, because the management of HIM will bully you, haul you into countless meetings, & play head games. The worst management I have ever worked for, they have no training as managers, nor do they have natural skills to manage. Good luck!!
Corporate culture of fear and blame
Registration Specialist, Admin (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 1, 2016
HR allows/encourages bullying and human rights violations. Management is supported but front line workers are not. Empire-builders and the politically savvy succeed while honest, hard workers languish. Who you know and who you toady to determines success rather than hard work and honesty.
I have over 25 yrs experience and still enjoy my job.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, AB U of ANovember 26, 2015
• Flexible, organized, and detail orientated
• Mature and professional with high regard for confidentiality
• Tactful and resourceful when dealing with difficult situations
• Effectively handles work in a fast paced environment
• Can work independently and function well in a team environment

I enjoy working as a health care aide for alberta health services.
Unionized
SYSTEMS ANALYST 3 (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
If you work in Information Systems, you will definitely have to be a member of AUPE since AHS turned into a Provincial Employer in 2008 that means that the opportunities are very slim to get in the door and seniority is more important than productivity and performance.
Advancement
Registration Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Determined eligibility and registered Albertans Healthcare
Consistently met supervisors' deadlines, goals and measures for productivity and quality
Established eligibility for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan and made adjustments to records.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Pros: great benefits and wages
Fun and supportive colleagues. Fast paced, challenging and very exciting. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work and interact with so many people; always meeting new patients, family members and staff. Everyday I learned something new. Management is always helpful and supportive.
Helping the sick and injiured
EMT in a HCA position (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Whether it's working on ambulance or working in the hospital, I do enjoy my line of work. On the ambulance I respond to all different types of 911 calls, and if the emergency calls for it, we transport to hospital.
In the hospital I an in a nurse aide position so I provide all the patient care, from toileting to helping them in and out of bed for meals. Sitting with them and having a conversation to sending them on their way home!
Rather not review
IT Lead (Former Employee), AlbertaJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: benefits
Cons: limited career advancement
I would rather not review Alberta Health Services, One thing I can say is that the people I have worked with in the past are very passionate about healthcare and take improving the healthcare in Alberta very seriously.
A great place to work with.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Valleyview, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: Benefits
Working with AHS helped me grow as a employee. Everyday, you get to learn new things.It's a fulfillment for me to work in the hospital, providing care to patients and being there for them in good or bad times.
Headquarters