Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Turn on the ovens, steamers.
Cook/Prep-Nutrition Food Services (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 February 2017
Turn on the oven, steamers, start breakfast for patients, breakfast for costumer at the cafeteria, lunch.
I learn empathy for other people who work in service industry jobs.
I work with many people from different countries.
The hardest part they don't have many hours to work.
I like every thing about my job I love cooking.
Good benefits
Human Resources Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 February 2017
The position was a good opportunity. I liked the co-workers I shared an office with. Very team oriented and always helping each other. The benefits were the best. My brother in law was in a severe accident and AHS was very supportive with time off and sick leave.
Pros
co workers and benefits
Cons
no flexible hours and basement office
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 February 2017
Not my dream career position, would rather be working directly with clients.
I have grown as a person since I started there and enhanced and utilized my skills.
I really enjoying working with the people who are in the same office as I am.
Ahs
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 February 2017
This has been an amazing experience for me. The people I work with and for are amazing. They are always friendly and have a smile on their faces. This is the career i have always wanted.
Very toxic place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 February 2017
The management in the dept. where I worked were horrible, rude & spiteful people. Not allowed to speak your own mind & if you did you were hauled into the office & given a talking to!
I do NOT recommend working for this company ever! They kill your spirit & wear you down. Almost suffered a nervous breakdown working there:(
Pros
Great benefits & wages
Cons
Horrible management!
A well organized company
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB11 February 2017
Offers competitive wages and a well organized place of work. Allows many areas of opportunity for learning and advancement.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Huge Company = Less recognition
Horrible management and work conditions
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2017
There is very poor management in my department... cannot sit idle for two minutes even after our work is done... have to keep moving continuously. We are made feel guilty about calling in sick. There is too much work pressure on us. We are short staffed on most days without management coming to us and asking if we need any help. Scheduling is horrible. Have to work too many weekends. Work/life balance is not good. There is a lot of favouritism in our department. We are never appreciated for our hard work. We are constantly reminded of any mistakes that we have made. The work conditions are extremely poor.... bad lighting, zero ventilation (working with extremely hazardous substances) some areas of the department are too hot while some are too cold. There is no separation between hazardous and toxic substances and other non toxic substances. The work environment is full of stress.
Good work/life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB9 February 2017
Well taken care of and promoted to ensure family and personal life are tended to. Enjoy the ability to focus of family when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Northern location
Lots of opportunity to learn useful knowledge in thr future.
Health Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 February 2017
This is one of my favorite company in my life. I have learned a lot in this company. They are making people really knowledgeable and responsible.
Productive and fun!
Logistics Coordinator, Accreditation (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
This job was the highlight of my career thus far. Employees are well taken care of. The work life balance is excellent. I was allowed to learn and grow here. I also felt rewarded and appreciated for my hard work. I would love to work for AHS again!
Pros
flexible schedule
Health care aide
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I worked for them for 2 years management is horrible and bully you but great resources to keep your knowledge up always Drama no matter how much you avoid it try resolving it threw management they leave you feeling stupid and more upset then when u walked in
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Drama BAD management
Challenging but fun environment to work
Environmental II (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2017
Since i step my feet on the unit where i work in its getting busy and busier.

Learning is on the process every day you learn new things how to improve your daily routine and give good judgemental to your job

Management are helpful and they do what they can to help our job easier

The hardest part is when im just new some certain thing that must be in proper places but its to many to remember at first but when i used to it easy!

Most Enjoyable is to meet people and even helping to train/orient a new member..
Pros
good benifets
Cons
days of work
Meaningful work and consistent work activities
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 February 2017
Low stress environment with fun people and a good management team. You get to see all of the patients and talk with them. Hardest part is seeing patients who are struggling.
Good place to work to raise a family.
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Good place to work to raise a family. The company respects all the holidays and allow for very flexible work time.

Excellent job security but forget about career advancement and training.
Pros
life balance
Cons
no advancementw
Ok if you get in to the right department
Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 January 2017
I did not have coverage for vacation or sick days so worked from home on those days. Toxic work environment in this particular department and seemed to be encouraged by management.
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Support IV (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 January 2017
Excellent work environment. Fast paced and challenging work setting with great management team. Great opportunities and experience in the health care industry. Professional and well mannered setting.
Pros
Great pay, living allowance and benefits.
Cons
Far from family.
Fast past environment
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Alberta21 January 2017
older building with lots of old equipment. typical day involves 1 to 2 hours of permitting in the morning and the remaining 10 hours deals with responding to certain complaints of heating/cooling.
Excellent Team environment
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB13 January 2017
Collaborative team work, excellent work/family balance,
Supports education advancement
Prides themselves on patient care
High standard of service and care for patients
Great people to work with/for. Good pay
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB12 January 2017
Workplace safety was very important, there was always opportunity to voice any concerns within the workplace. There was always hands on learning experiences. If there were any problems, it was easy to voice them to managers. And i always found it enjoyable to work with the other employees. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect of it, but that was also the best part becasue it kept me moving and active.
Loved being a Community Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - varied day to day as there was many things that were included in the job description. I taught Pulmonary Rehab courses, did Asthma Education, performed breathing tests as required, made home visits to palliative patients, performed certain blood tests, taught caregivers about respiratory medications, their use, how they work, and the care of the different delivery devices. Also helped with Baby Wellness days in the region.

What I learned - time management, taking a leading role for teaching purposes, talking in an educational setting

Co-workers - I had the BEST co-workers at whichever site I was at.

Hardest part - leaving. I was only covering a maternity leave and there was a hiring freeze so they couldn't hire me on permanently

Most enjoyable - co-workers, clients, patients, being able to do what I was trained to do and doing it well.
Pros
Doing what I was trained to do, clients, co-workers
Cons
Leaving when my temporary position was over