Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, ABJuly 2, 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 23, 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Alberta Health Services
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Three Hills, ABMay 23, 2016
A typical day was well organized and thought out in order to get all work required done. Work was physical and demanding. I learned how to deal with elderly people with respect and caring. Management was good but it was a difficult job. The hardest part of the job was when we lost our Seniors. The most enjoyable part was that we were able to have wonderful communication with the Seniors.
Pros
Very happy place to work
Cons
very physically demanding
Each depart must do their own hiring
Trying to get hired there (Former Employee) –  n/aJuly 3, 2016
That's right NO CENTRAL HR. Due to shortage of staff department managers must do their own advertising and hiring. So get this the employees are encourage to find new people to hire (of course this would mostly apply to work in other departments) but when they recommend someone, those individuals are not put into a 'recommended by employee' pool.
Family like work environment with access to mall
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Very Enjoyable job helping clients. Learned alot about our healthcare system and immigration. Management was a little all over the map and sometimes unreachable when needed. The co-workers are like a family very kind and caring and great to see everyday. The hardest part of the job was coordinating/communication with other departments within the healthcare umbrella.
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions
Organized, cooperative, hard worker, friendly
Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Foothills HospitalMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work is non stop, very busy workload and non stop communication both verbal and written. Constant communication with patients, doctors by phone, computer and several computer programs. I have learned how to prioritize my workload and be more flexible to handle unexpected changes to best suit patients and certain circumstances. Workload was the hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the patient satisfaction.
Pros
patient feedback
Cons
workload
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Pros
Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons
Under-resourced at the leadership level
Amazing experience in ED
Emergency Department Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Volunteering in ED has been an amazing experience. Have learned how to handle many different situations as well as help save lives every shift. While shifts are short and only 3 hours each, I prefer to take 2 shifts in a row. The people, staff volunteers and patients, are amazing and super understanding.
Nice place to work. Too much favoritism
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABAugust 2, 2016
Miss the old manger. Where shifts where given to everyone not just a certain few.
Few years ago the hospital looked cleaner and seemed happier back then.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
When everyone isn't doing their jobs things happen
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
Pros
company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons
reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
Highly knowledgable place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Smoky Lake, ABJuly 8, 2016
Starting off as a casual worker i found it difficult to progress. Having had learned different skills and practice them i am thankful for my experience from this company.
Pros
Very Informative
Cons
Shift work, can be a difficult atmosphere
Supportive workplace
Registered Nurse/Addictions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 1, 2016
Working in a fast paced environment with supportive colleagues & leadership team allows for a continued positive learning experience. I have learned to facilitate workshops & groups to a wide range of clientele while also managing a case load & providing individual or family counselling.
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Cons
overcapacity
Unionized
SYSTEMS ANALYST 3 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
If you work in Information Systems, you will definitely have to be a member of AUPE since AHS turned into a Provincial Employer in 2008 that means that the opportunities are very slim to get in the door and seniority is more important than productivity and performance.
Good Place to Work
Training and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2016
My particular position was quite good, it involved a great deal of instruction and working with people. Management provided good support and the co-workers were great.
Pros
paid training