Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB2 July 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
In general I find working at Alberta Health Services very rewarding.
HEALTH PROMOTION FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2016
Working with Seniors of all abilities and cultures I found it very rewarding both, with the people to work with and as a learning experience. The other fitness leaders were always helpful and willing to assist when required.
I don't think I can honestly say that I've met a grumpy older adult in any of my fitness classes, they were an amazing group of people to work with and generally very grateful as a number of my sites were lower income sites
The time I was in Allied Health Dept. there was quite a change over in management, there were 6 new managers for my specific Department in less than a year so a lot of change as each implemented their own policys. This time had some difficult moments when we as employee's were left out of any planning to the times we were asked for input which were better.
I worked half days on my own traveling from site to site to deliver fitness classes to seniors and ultimately handicapped individuals. The most difficult part of the job was the travel especially in the winter months
Pros
training and upgradeing supplied
Cons
In the PC&CDM Dept, working evenings is required
Good job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB17 July 2016
Very large company and organization so difficult to feel connected.
Benefits are not the greatest. Good job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Just a number
Good Place to Work
Training and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2016
My particular position was quite good, it involved a great deal of instruction and working with people. Management provided good support and the co-workers were great.
Pros
paid training
Cons
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 June 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
okay place to work that department would like another department
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2016
I like job because it was very physical and had good benefits and the time line. Monday to Friday 6-2 good hour to work worked with my life. Not the best environment to work in no air condition in the summer and working with fecal matter.
Great advancement job and great staff
Control centre coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
Really enjoy my work and feel appreciated the benifits are great and I am able to show my true purpose. I love problem solving and understand all sides of project
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
Working
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB7 November 2016
Enjoyed the work the residents...loved to learn more about the job and about the residents...every day was different and exciting...l miss working there do not miss the management and their favoritism
Pros
Loved long term care
Cons
Hated the management
Alberta Health Services
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Three Hills, AB23 May 2016
A typical day was well organized and thought out in order to get all work required done. Work was physical and demanding. I learned how to deal with elderly people with respect and caring. Management was good but it was a difficult job. The hardest part of the job was when we lost our Seniors. The most enjoyable part was that we were able to have wonderful communication with the Seniors.
Pros
Very happy place to work
Cons
very physically demanding
Dispatcher/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2016
Great place to work. Managers are great. sadly work life balance as it is a shift work job is not there. Friendly staff and you have the chance to use their online education system
good work enviroment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
- never had any issues, good co-workers
- good place to meet new people
- good managers
- good benefits
- great place to learn new skills and maintain skills

Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB2 January 2016
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Decision making by management was an extensive process
Family like work environment with access to mall
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
Very Enjoyable job helping clients. Learned alot about our healthcare system and immigration. Management was a little all over the map and sometimes unreachable when needed. The co-workers are like a family very kind and caring and great to see everyday. The hardest part of the job was coordinating/communication with other departments within the healthcare umbrella.
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.