Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Great people to work with/for. Good pay
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB12 January 2017
Workplace safety was very important, there was always opportunity to voice any concerns within the workplace. There was always hands on learning experiences. If there were any problems, it was easy to voice them to managers. And i always found it enjoyable to work with the other employees. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect of it, but that was also the best part becasue it kept me moving and active.
Government
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
There are two types of positions: In-Scope and Out of Scope. In-Scope positions are unionized. If you enjoy working in a unionized environment, then AHS is a great place to work.

For Out-of-Scope positions, you are dealing directly with the manager. AHS is very bureaucratic and things are slow to change, but there is opportunity to improve processes and directly affect patient care.
Pros
Pension and generous vacation time
Cons
Bureaucratic and slow to change
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
Overall a great place to work.
Certified Health Information Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
My position had a very heavy work load and the day just flew by.
I had great assistance. Every day was different, because every day different requests would come in that had to be dealt with. There was always something to learn, which is a good thing.
Pros
Could sometimes combine morning & afternoon breaks into one break and make it an exercise break.
Cons
very busy hours
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
Great Place to Work
Clerk II - Data Conversion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alberta Health Services is a great place to work if you can get a good position. I like my job but it is casual and all of a sudden shifts already scheduled were being cancelled. I would definitely continue to work here if hours were guaranteed,
Pros
Good hours, Good pay
Cons
as a casual employee, shifts are not regular and canceled short notice
I truly enjoy my job
Part time license practical nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 November 2016
It's all about building relationships with clients with staff with other facilities improving communication and getting things done in a timely manner to address issues for clients provide the supports required for their future success
Pros
Client relationships ... Great staff / coworkers
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.
Love my job
Data Management, Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
A typical day would entailed, allot of data entry.
One of the things that I've learned is that people learn and pick up new skills in different ways. You must be patient with them.
My managers have been amazing and same with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job if when info on a child comes across my desk.
I enjoy coming to work.
okay place to work that department would like another department
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2016
I like job because it was very physical and had good benefits and the time line. Monday to Friday 6-2 good hour to work worked with my life. Not the best environment to work in no air condition in the summer and working with fecal matter.
Good
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
Unit clerks perform a variety of reception, clerical and administrative tasks at nursing stations on the units or wards of hospitals, continuing care centres, physician's offices and other medical facilities. A typical day at work was good, my management and co-workers were awesome.
lots of staff that are nice to work with
Food Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2016
flexible shifts
interact with hospital patients
management are nice
good working place
nice staff to work with
can be a challenge to work here when you encounter difficult customers.
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
do not give out points for casual
great place to work
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB12 December 2016
Extremely hard to get a job with alberta health services. I have worked as a HCA for them for two years in long term care, recently moved to Edmonton and can not get another job with them.
Pros
Amazing benefits and salary
Cons
diffacult to get a job, and to advance
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Loved being a Community Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - varied day to day as there was many things that were included in the job description. I taught Pulmonary Rehab courses, did Asthma Education, performed breathing tests as required, made home visits to palliative patients, performed certain blood tests, taught caregivers about respiratory medications, their use, how they work, and the care of the different delivery devices. Also helped with Baby Wellness days in the region.

What I learned - time management, taking a leading role for teaching purposes, talking in an educational setting

Co-workers - I had the BEST co-workers at whichever site I was at.

Hardest part - leaving. I was only covering a maternity leave and there was a hiring freeze so they couldn't hire me on permanently

Most enjoyable - co-workers, clients, patients, being able to do what I was trained to do and doing it well.
Pros
Doing what I was trained to do, clients, co-workers
Cons
Leaving when my temporary position was over
Mayerthorpe Environmental Services HORRIBLE
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB5 January 2017
The Managment for Environmental Services at the Mayerthorpe Health care center are horrible people. Manipulators and very condescending. I don't suggest working there
Pros
Pay
Cons
Horrible Management
Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
organized and well managed
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2016
i like working here because they train you well, do follow ups on progress. cross train you. the site is well managed. you get to meet different types of coworkers from all ages. very diverse environment. i do not find it stressful. every workload is in sync and with time table.
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB2 July 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Working
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB7 November 2016
Enjoyed the work the residents...loved to learn more about the job and about the residents...every day was different and exciting...l miss working there do not miss the management and their favoritism
Pros
Loved long term care
Cons
Hated the management