Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 23, 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
Alberta Health Services
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Three Hills, ABMay 23, 2016
A typical day was well organized and thought out in order to get all work required done. Work was physical and demanding. I learned how to deal with elderly people with respect and caring. Management was good but it was a difficult job. The hardest part of the job was when we lost our Seniors. The most enjoyable part was that we were able to have wonderful communication with the Seniors.
Pros
Very happy place to work
Cons
very physically demanding
Family like work environment with access to mall
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Very Enjoyable job helping clients. Learned alot about our healthcare system and immigration. Management was a little all over the map and sometimes unreachable when needed. The co-workers are like a family very kind and caring and great to see everyday. The hardest part of the job was coordinating/communication with other departments within the healthcare umbrella.
Organized, cooperative, hard worker, friendly
Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Foothills HospitalMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work is non stop, very busy workload and non stop communication both verbal and written. Constant communication with patients, doctors by phone, computer and several computer programs. I have learned how to prioritize my workload and be more flexible to handle unexpected changes to best suit patients and certain circumstances. Workload was the hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the patient satisfaction.
Pros
patient feedback
Cons
workload
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Pros
Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons
Under-resourced at the leadership level
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
Pros
company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons
reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions
Amazing experience in ED
Emergency Department Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Volunteering in ED has been an amazing experience. Have learned how to handle many different situations as well as help save lives every shift. While shifts are short and only 3 hours each, I prefer to take 2 shifts in a row. The people, staff volunteers and patients, are amazing and super understanding.
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Cons
overcapacity
Supportive workplace
Registered Nurse/Addictions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 1, 2016
Working in a fast paced environment with supportive colleagues & leadership team allows for a continued positive learning experience. I have learned to facilitate workshops & groups to a wide range of clientele while also managing a case load & providing individual or family counselling.
Positive, encouraging environment to work in which has provided me with personal and professional growth throughout the years.
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee) –  PLC, ACH, SHC, SAFPCJanuary 20, 2016
Assist families during crisis, work hand in hand with Mental Health Staff, respond to any disturbances/suspicious activity, ensure patients under treatment are being safe and not causing harm to self or others, work hand in hand with CPS,EMS,Fire and STARS.
Cons
Shift work, switch between days and nights.
Easy and Fun to work
Food Service 1 (Current Employee) –  Red deer Hospital NFS departmentMarch 8, 2016
This is nice company to work in but few hours because of many employees. The staff are very friendly and very dependable. I work as a food preparer on hot line and Cold line. After the serving of food we wait for the dishes to come down and wash it all. My work only starts at 4:15pm and ends at 7:15pm (3 hours).
Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Decision making by management was an extensive process
Unionized
SYSTEMS ANALYST 3 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
If you work in Information Systems, you will definitely have to be a member of AUPE since AHS turned into a Provincial Employer in 2008 that means that the opportunities are very slim to get in the door and seniority is more important than productivity and performance.
Managment is horrible and hateful.
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 13, 2016
DO NOT stand up for yourself, because the management of HIM will bully you, haul you into countless meetings, & play head games. The worst management I have ever worked for, they have no training as managers, nor do they have natural skills to manage. Good luck!!
Pros
Managment
Cons
Coworkers
Good Place to Work
Training and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2016
My particular position was quite good, it involved a great deal of instruction and working with people. Management provided good support and the co-workers were great.
Pros
paid training
Cons
Corporate culture of fear and blame
Registration Specialist, Admin (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 1, 2016
HR allows/encourages bullying and human rights violations. Management is supported but front line workers are not. Empire-builders and the politically savvy succeed while honest, hard workers languish. Who you know and who you toady to determines success rather than hard work and honesty.