Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere
Housekeeper Casual (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB23 March 2017
Typical work day is getting prepared to start organizing our cart and making sure everything that is touchable is disinfected. I learned to work as a team player and help out as much as I can.

The work place culture is working in a stable environment with great staff. Hardest part about the job is using the floor machine. Most times it will not work so we mop the floors with the broom on the rough cement floor.

Most enjoyable about the job would have to be working with partners sometimes you get the job done faster and easier.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
nothing.
Great experience
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Typical day at work, answer phones, make up charts for patients, hardest part of the job was losing patients when the battle they were fighting had won.
Great Place to work!
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Very interesting job. Co workers are task oriented and management are helpful as well. Everyday is learning as you meet people from all walks of life. Amazing!
Poor management
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2017
Unsupportive management and physicians. Overbooked clinic and OR. Educator only support person. Hostile and toxic work environment. At times very unsafe and unsupported in the procedure room. As well as in the clinic
Pros
Potential to be a great place with the proper support and management
Cons
Overbooked and hostile coworkers
Great pay, adequate holiday and sick time, management mostly supportive
Forensic Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
Good paying jobs, shift work can be stressful and mess with your sleep habits, good holiday/sick/benefits. Atmosphere mostly positive. Patients are the best part of the job.
It is an excellent place to work.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB8 March 2017
Very busy place. You need to be flexible, Always need to be professional, polite and curious. Compassionate and kind. One day is never the same as the next it is always different you never know what to except from patients and staff. In my position we work with minimal supervision, one needs to know how to prioritize in order to get the job done. Management gets back to us in a timely fashion as their office is at another location therefore we use e-mail often to communicate. The most difficult about the job is that patients have to wait and sometimes the wait time is very long and they become impatient. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am able to serve the public, I love being able to help individuals.
Well Managed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2017
The management is strong and supportive.
I was always well informed, professionally addressed, and felt comfortable at work.
It is easy to transfer within Alberta Health Services from one position to another and you are well supported throughout the process. It will be hard to leave Alberta Health Services. I felt respected and that the job was well paid.
Great people to work with
DATA ENTRY - Influenza (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2017
Training was great from a very knowledgeable person. Hours were flexible. Learned two in-house programs with no difficulty. Pay was a little above average.

Sitting all day was not a bonus; chairs were not that comfortable. Group meetings were fun and everyone had a chance to speak.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Chairs very uncomfortable for sitting long hours.
Wonder full Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB2 March 2017
Ambulatory Care in MHRH is an amazing unit to work, great staff, great manager, great support systems. The Clients are fantastic and I for one liked the fact that we were open on weekends but closed on all holidays.
Pros
Great Staff and clients
Cons
Sometimes coffee breaks are missed
It is an experience going to work here. One never knows what will happen during a shift.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB1 March 2017
The hardest part of this job is getting attached to the senior patients. Most enjoyable part of my job is making my patients feel better about themselves and making them laugh. Everyday at work is a learning experience. Always something new. I have never had any problems dealing with the managers. They are a good crew to work for.
Pros
Working casual you can pretty much make up your own schedule
Cons
LPN's cannot work night shifts because they cannot be in charge. This limits your shifts.
Excellent customer service
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2017
We assist clients in vaccination. The team helps each other in performing duties. I enjoy my job because I get to serve the public and work in a respectful environment. Our management team are superb, making sure we are fully staffed in order to provide excellent customer service.
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grimshaw, AB23 February 2017
Very fast paced and rewarding. Good management. Long hours on your feet. Small nursing home so you know a lot of the clients from outside of work. Small town.
Pros
one place position
Cons
not much time for each client
Turn on the ovens, steamers.
Cook/Prep-Nutrition Food Services (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 February 2017
Turn on the oven, steamers, start breakfast for patients, breakfast for costumer at the cafeteria, lunch.
I learn empathy for other people who work in service industry jobs.
I work with many people from different countries.
The hardest part they don't have many hours to work.
I like every thing about my job I love cooking.
Good benefits
Human Resources Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 February 2017
The position was a good opportunity. I liked the co-workers I shared an office with. Very team oriented and always helping each other. The benefits were the best. My brother in law was in a severe accident and AHS was very supportive with time off and sick leave.
Pros
co workers and benefits
Cons
no flexible hours and basement office
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 February 2017
Not my dream career position, would rather be working directly with clients.
I have grown as a person since I started there and enhanced and utilized my skills.
I really enjoying working with the people who are in the same office as I am.
Ahs
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 February 2017
This has been an amazing experience for me. The people I work with and for are amazing. They are always friendly and have a smile on their faces. This is the career i have always wanted.
Very toxic place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 February 2017
The management in the dept. where I worked were horrible, rude & spiteful people. Not allowed to speak your own mind & if you did you were hauled into the office & given a talking to!
I do NOT recommend working for this company ever! They kill your spirit & wear you down. Almost suffered a nervous breakdown working there:(
Pros
Great benefits & wages
Cons
Horrible management!
A well organized company
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB11 February 2017
Offers competitive wages and a well organized place of work. Allows many areas of opportunity for learning and advancement.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Huge Company = Less recognition
Horrible management and work conditions
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2017
There is very poor management in my department... cannot sit idle for two minutes even after our work is done... have to keep moving continuously. We are made feel guilty about calling in sick. There is too much work pressure on us. We are short staffed on most days without management coming to us and asking if we need any help. Scheduling is horrible. Have to work too many weekends. Work/life balance is not good. There is a lot of favouritism in our department. We are never appreciated for our hard work. We are constantly reminded of any mistakes that we have made. The work conditions are extremely poor.... bad lighting, zero ventilation (working with extremely hazardous substances) some areas of the department are too hot while some are too cold. There is no separation between hazardous and toxic substances and other non toxic substances. The work environment is full of stress.
Good work/life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB9 February 2017
Well taken care of and promoted to ensure family and personal life are tended to. Enjoy the ability to focus of family when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Northern location

78%