Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Family like work environment with access to mall
Information Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Very Enjoyable job helping clients. Learned alot about our healthcare system and immigration. Management was a little all over the map and sometimes unreachable when needed. The co-workers are like a family very kind and caring and great to see everyday. The hardest part of the job was coordinating/communication with other departments within the healthcare umbrella.
very professional work place
LPN (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
very organized work area, co-workers work really hard to get things and daily tasks done. most enjoyable part of the job was seen client in their own environment there personal homes and assisting them.
Unionized
SYSTEMS ANALYST 3 (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
If you work in Information Systems, you will definitely have to be a member of AUPE since AHS turned into a Provincial Employer in 2008 that means that the opportunities are very slim to get in the door and seniority is more important than productivity and performance.
Amazing experience in ED
Emergency Department Volunteer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Volunteering in ED has been an amazing experience. Have learned how to handle many different situations as well as help save lives every shift. While shifts are short and only 3 hours each, I prefer to take 2 shifts in a row. The people, staff volunteers and patients, are amazing and super understanding.
good employer
Housekeeping ( Casual) (Current Employee), Claresholm, ABApril 11, 2016
good work environment, very good pay and people are nice to work with because we all observe the values and the culture in the hospital .
Great job for those that work well in teams
Laundry Worker, Red Deer Regional Hosptial (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 2, 2016
Pros: No customers, job security, teamwork, minimal supervision
Cons: tedious and monotonous work, loud work environment (need hearing protection), labour intensive
This job is great for teamwork building because it requires 9 women to work in groups of three to each station in order to fulfill the tasks assigned. It's great because you can make friends and work well this way without having to worry about dealing with customers. There's simply a quota that needs to be met and that's it. This job also really teaches one to be efficient because there is always something to be done.
The hardest thing about this job is that it can get tedious and monotonous at times and can be difficult to get through the work day because of this. Also it's very labour intensive and requires you to do moderate to heavy lifting on a regular basis. But, if you have the radio playing and have a buddy to chat with while you work, it's much much better.
The best thing about this job is that you don't have to deal with customers. You see the same people every day and you all get along pretty well enough that the work day isn't grueling. Also the best thing is that you can just mind your own business or zone out and just set yourself to one task every few hours and get things done.
Supportive workplace
Registered Nurse/Addictions Counselor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 1, 2016
Working in a fast paced environment with supportive colleagues & leadership team allows for a continued positive learning experience. I have learned to facilitate workshops & groups to a wide range of clientele while also managing a case load & providing individual or family counselling.
Organized, cooperative, hard worker, friendly
Booking Clerk (Former Employee), Foothills HospitalMarch 29, 2016
Pros: patient feedback
Cons: workload
A typical day at work is non stop, very busy workload and non stop communication both verbal and written. Constant communication with patients, doctors by phone, computer and several computer programs. I have learned how to prioritize my workload and be more flexible to handle unexpected changes to best suit patients and certain circumstances. Workload was the hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the patient satisfaction.
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Opportunity for Advancement
Cons: Parking is costly at some locations
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Managment is horrible and hateful.
Clerk II (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 13, 2016
Pros: Managment
Cons: Coworkers
DO NOT stand up for yourself, because the management of HIM will bully you, haul you into countless meetings, & play head games. The worst management I have ever worked for, they have no training as managers, nor do they have natural skills to manage. Good luck!!
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons: Under-resourced at the leadership level
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Alberta Health Services
Executive Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
I was with Alberta Health Services since 1998. The sense of job security is no longer there as Healthcare seems to be very volatile when the economy has a down turn.
Easy and Fun to work
Food Service 1 (Current Employee), Red deer Hospital NFS departmentMarch 8, 2016
This is nice company to work in but few hours because of many employees. The staff are very friendly and very dependable. I work as a food preparer on hot line and Cold line. After the serving of food we wait for the dishes to come down and wash it all. My work only starts at 4:15pm and ends at 7:15pm (3 hours).
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Pros: company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons: reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
A great place to work with.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Valleyview, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: Benefits
Working with AHS helped me grow as a employee. Everyday, you get to learn new things.It's a fulfillment for me to work in the hospital, providing care to patients and being there for them in good or bad times.
Excellent team to work for
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The team was very small and they all worked together. There was good collaboration between the team. I will surely miss them when I leave on April 30th 2016.
Advancement
Registration Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Determined eligibility and registered Albertans Healthcare
Consistently met supervisors' deadlines, goals and measures for productivity and quality
Established eligibility for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan and made adjustments to records.
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
Cons: overcapacity
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Productive workplace
Senior QA Analyst/ Team Lead (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
Work environment is good. Lots of new stuff to learn.
Co-workers are wonderful. Always ready to help. Management is good.
Headquarters