Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Government
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
There are two types of positions: In-Scope and Out of Scope. In-Scope positions are unionized. If you enjoy working in a unionized environment, then AHS is a great place to work.

For Out-of-Scope positions, you are dealing directly with the manager. AHS is very bureaucratic and things are slow to change, but there is opportunity to improve processes and directly affect patient care.
Pros
Pension and generous vacation time
Cons
Bureaucratic and slow to change
I had am amazing time working for Alberta health services
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Amazing and a wonderful organization to work. I have learned how to deal with work pressure and i have an amazing team to support .the coworkers are friendly and cooperative .
I truly enjoy my job
Part time license practical nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 November 2016
It's all about building relationships with clients with staff with other facilities improving communication and getting things done in a timely manner to address issues for clients provide the supports required for their future success
Pros
Client relationships ... Great staff / coworkers
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
good work enviroment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
- never had any issues, good co-workers
- good place to meet new people
- good managers
- good benefits
- great place to learn new skills and maintain skills

okay place to work that department would like another department
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2016
I like job because it was very physical and had good benefits and the time line. Monday to Friday 6-2 good hour to work worked with my life. Not the best environment to work in no air condition in the summer and working with fecal matter.
Valued responsibities
Cardiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2016
Productive and service oriented workplace with sense of responsibilities. Love to be of service to others and performing tests as basis of treatment modalities.
Working
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB7 November 2016
Enjoyed the work the residents...loved to learn more about the job and about the residents...every day was different and exciting...l miss working there do not miss the management and their favoritism
Pros
Loved long term care
Cons
Hated the management
Overall a great place to work.
Certified Health Information Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
My position had a very heavy work load and the day just flew by.
I had great assistance. Every day was different, because every day different requests would come in that had to be dealt with. There was always something to learn, which is a good thing.
Pros
Could sometimes combine morning & afternoon breaks into one break and make it an exercise break.
Cons
very busy hours
Great Place to Work
Clerk II - Data Conversion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alberta Health Services is a great place to work if you can get a good position. I like my job but it is casual and all of a sudden shifts already scheduled were being cancelled. I would definitely continue to work here if hours were guaranteed,
Pros
Good hours, Good pay
Cons
as a casual employee, shifts are not regular and canceled short notice
Dispatcher/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2016
Great place to work. Managers are great. sadly work life balance as it is a shift work job is not there. Friendly staff and you have the chance to use their online education system
Great advancement job and great staff
Control centre coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
Really enjoy my work and feel appreciated the benifits are great and I am able to show my true purpose. I love problem solving and understand all sides of project
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
Depends on which department you work in.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2016
HR is a joke. The union does not stand up for employees.
Overtime is mandatory and not compensated very often.
Often doctors are a pleasure to work for.
Pros
Not many
Love my job
Data Management, Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
A typical day would entailed, allot of data entry.
One of the things that I've learned is that people learn and pick up new skills in different ways. You must be patient with them.
My managers have been amazing and same with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job if when info on a child comes across my desk.
I enjoy coming to work.
Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
organized and well managed
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2016
i like working here because they train you well, do follow ups on progress. cross train you. the site is well managed. you get to meet different types of coworkers from all ages. very diverse environment. i do not find it stressful. every workload is in sync and with time table.
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.
A great place to work.
Administrative Assistant, Capital Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2016
Working with AHS was enjoyable. A lot of training was provided which was applicable to my position, as well as other positions in the department.
Nice place to work. Too much favoritism
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 August 2016
Miss the old manger. Where shifts where given to everyone not just a certain few.
Few years ago the hospital looked cleaner and seemed happier back then.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
When everyone isn't doing their jobs things happen