Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Morinville, ABNovember 17, 2015
Shifts begin either at 0700 or at 1400, and the work is enjoyable. Both the tasks and the locations vary, which is pleasant for me because I am very flexible. Some days I am in the lodge administering medications and assisting clients with baths, and other days I am driving around the county to assist clients in the community, whether it be for bath assists or wound care. The hardest part of this job would have to be saying goodbye to my clients. In this line of work, you become almost like family, and when someone passes away, it can be difficult. The clients are the best part of my job. I love meeting new clients, visiting current clients, and getting to know their stories. I have always had home care in my home growing up as my mother was disabled. Being a part of a home care team comes second nature, and I very much love my job, which shows!
Pros
excellent pay, benefits
Cons
being casual, when there aren't any hours to work, can be discouraging
A great place to work with.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valleyview, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Working with AHS helped me grow as a employee. Everyday, you get to learn new things.It's a fulfillment for me to work in the hospital, providing care to patients and being there for them in good or bad times.
Benefits
Rather not review
IT Lead (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 13, 2016
I would rather not review Alberta Health Services, One thing I can say is that the people I have worked with in the past are very passionate about healthcare and take improving the healthcare in Alberta very seriously.
benefits
Cons
limited career advancement
Boring call centre job
Clerk IV for Alberta Health Link (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Management was ridiculous, she had no idea what she was doing. I felt chained to the desk with no freedom. I did not enjoy this job at all the only plus was the pay and benefits and pension.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Fun and supportive colleagues. Fast paced, challenging and very exciting. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work and interact with so many people; always meeting new patients, family members and staff. Everyday I learned something new. Management is always helpful and supportive.
Pros
great benefits and wages
Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, ABJuly 2, 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
A great place to be
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 16, 2015
I love working for AHS! They are so accommodating to all situations.They are an equal opportunity employer with great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great management
Cons
labour intensive
Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Decision making by management was an extensive process
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 26, 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 23, 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
Pros
company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons
reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
careful with political area
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 22, 2015
Wonderful place to work, but be careful of the political area of things, can lead to problems. Loved the staff and patients, allways a new and different day.
benefits
Cons
management
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Pros
Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons
Under-resourced at the leadership level
In general I find working at Alberta Health Services very rewarding.
HEALTH PROMOTION FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2016
Working with Seniors of all abilities and cultures I found it very rewarding both, with the people to work with and as a learning experience. The other fitness leaders were always helpful and willing to assist when required.
I don't think I can honestly say that I've met a grumpy older adult in any of my fitness classes, they were an amazing group of people to work with and generally very grateful as a number of my sites were lower income sites
The time I was in Allied Health Dept. there was quite a change over in management, there were 6 new managers for my specific Department in less than a year so a lot of change as each implemented their own policys. This time had some difficult moments when we as employee's were left out of any planning to the times we were asked for input which were better.
I worked half days on my own traveling from site to site to deliver fitness classes to seniors and ultimately handicapped individuals. The most difficult part of the job was the travel especially in the winter months
Pros
training and upgradeing supplied
Cons
In the PC&CDM Dept, working evenings is required
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Cons
overcapacity
A somewhat acceptable experience
IT Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2015
Organization was under a hiring freeze, no promotions, no salary increases for quite some time. While I had a very pleasant with my peers, management was absentee, unavailable, unresponsive, making it difficult to move forward with projects requiring approvals.
Pros
Trainer was very good