Alberta Health Services Employee Review

View all Alberta Health Services reviews

While Frontline staff are awesome and take great pride in their work, AHS is a hierarchical and generally dysfunctional organization
RN (Former Employee) –  Chinook Health Region13 October 2013
Management and Human Resources say they are about recruitment and retention when in fact they are the cause of attrition. I worked for AHS for 10 years, in several different environments, many were filled with harassment and bullying but little is done even though both AHS, and UNA have policies to deal with it. Managers are not trained in leadership and are often behind the dysfunction. The best manager with the happiest workplace I have worked in was let go because manager butted heads with middle management. They find something that will stick and then run with it, and are not afraid to ruin your reputation and your career.
I miss the people that I worked with and the patients but I do not miss the politics and the manipulation.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, coworkers
Cons
Lack of leadership, lack of integrity, lack of care towards staff.

Other Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Great people to work along side.
MAINTENANCE WORKER III (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2017
A typical day starts at 8:00 am and in a hospital work environment you day to day constantly changes E.g. One day you could be changing filters in air handling units and the next day you could be fixing and cleaning induction units in rooms.

I personally learned a number of things working within AHS such as;

Monitoring fire dampers to make sure when they were tested that they closed and opened properly.

How to troubleshoot and identify minor issues with AHU (air handling units)
Pros
The people I have had the pleasure of working with
Cons
Long wait for FTE (full time employment)
Perfect place to work
Registered Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 December 2017
Excellent work culture.
Motivating and helping colleagues.
Support for education and training.
Leaves on pre approval.
Best salary in the area.
Job stability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.