Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Opportunity for Advancement
Cons: Parking is costly at some locations
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Work/Life balance
Cons: Decision making by management was an extensive process
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
productive and a very good place to work.
environmental service aide (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
its a new hospital built in the south, very clean, good ambiance, very challenging too. it encourages you to work hard and it gives you the opportunity for personal growth, and for your career in the future.
im thankful i currently work here and will continue to work in Alberta Health Services as i myself is in health / medical field in the philippines as medical radiation worker...
A great opportunity to work in rural Alberta serving the needs of children
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Stettller, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Working with the children
Cons: Poor Management support and the politics
The position provided a variety of experiences working with a wide variety of children with many different speech-language needs . The position provided great support in the schools with the educators and I had a super experience working with the educators and educational assistants in providing for the Speech-Language needs of the children. I learned a lot about work environment politics and dealing with difficult people( Manager and Speech-Language Assistants) not willing to support the Speech-Language Pathologist in charge. The most enjoyable part of my job was working directly with the children , educational assistants and teachers in the rural schools.
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Pros: company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons: reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Pros: great benefits and wages
Fun and supportive colleagues. Fast paced, challenging and very exciting. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work and interact with so many people; always meeting new patients, family members and staff. Everyday I learned something new. Management is always helpful and supportive.
Rather not review
IT Lead (Former Employee), AlbertaJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: benefits
Cons: limited career advancement
I would rather not review Alberta Health Services, One thing I can say is that the people I have worked with in the past are very passionate about healthcare and take improving the healthcare in Alberta very seriously.
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
Cons: overcapacity
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Boring call centre job
Clerk IV for Alberta Health Link (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Management was ridiculous, she had no idea what she was doing. I felt chained to the desk with no freedom. I did not enjoy this job at all the only plus was the pay and benefits and pension.
A somewhat acceptable experience
IT Security Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Trainer was very good
Cons: long hours
Organization was under a hiring freeze, no promotions, no salary increases for quite some time. While I had a very pleasant with my peers, management was absentee, unavailable, unresponsive, making it difficult to move forward with projects requiring approvals.
Flexibility, work-life balance,
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Pros: work-life balance and flexibility
Cons: promotional avenues are restricted
During the course of six years at AHS working in the capacity of Workplace Health and safety Advisor, we got trained almost in every field of health and safety (Hygiene, IAQ, ergonomic, safety, full face and half mask fit testing, management of health and safety, establishing the safety culture.and also customer services.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), Morinville, ABNovember 17, 2015
Pros: excellent pay, benefits
Cons: being casual, when there aren't any hours to work, can be discouraging
Shifts begin either at 0700 or at 1400, and the work is enjoyable. Both the tasks and the locations vary, which is pleasant for me because I am very flexible. Some days I am in the lodge administering medications and assisting clients with baths, and other days I am driving around the county to assist clients in the community, whether it be for bath assists or wound care. The hardest part of this job would have to be saying goodbye to my clients. In this line of work, you become almost like family, and when someone passes away, it can be difficult. The clients are the best part of my job. I love meeting new clients, visiting current clients, and getting to know their stories. I have always had home care in my home growing up as my mother was disabled. Being a part of a home care team comes second nature, and I very much love my job, which shows!
It is very hard to find a work life balance
Rural Public Health Inspector (Current Employee), Olds, AlbertaDecember 11, 2015
As a Public Heath Inspector, it is very difficult to find a work life balance, however the management is typically very good.
It is very tough working for a union
Support Services (Former Employee), Strathmore, ABOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Superviseing ourselves and a great 6am - 2pm shift
Cons: Union Job
The women I worked with were fun, upbeat, and enjoyed each others company. The job was very repetitive & had the continuous routine from one day to the next. We worked under our own supervision and could expect to see management on a
bi or tri -monthly basis. We made our job enjoyable and worked as a tight group to always get the work done & help each other out.
Working in a hospital is what you make of it. You can chose to go with the negative aspect or know that it is a job and choose to enjoy yourself. There were many morale issues that were never dealt with properly, and often you would notice adults treating each other like bullies with management standing by with their hands tied by the union.
I truly believe under the proper management without a union, most of these situations could of been dealt with promptly & properly.
A great place to be
Housekeeping (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Great management
Cons: labour intensive
I love working for AHS! They are so accommodating to all situations.They are an equal opportunity employer with great pay and benefits.
Great job for those that work well in teams
Laundry Worker, Red Deer Regional Hosptial (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 2, 2016
Pros: No customers, job security, teamwork, minimal supervision
Cons: tedious and monotonous work, loud work environment (need hearing protection), labour intensive
This job is great for teamwork building because it requires 9 women to work in groups of three to each station in order to fulfill the tasks assigned. It's great because you can make friends and work well this way without having to worry about dealing with customers. There's simply a quota that needs to be met and that's it. This job also really teaches one to be efficient because there is always something to be done.
The hardest thing about this job is that it can get tedious and monotonous at times and can be difficult to get through the work day because of this. Also it's very labour intensive and requires you to do moderate to heavy lifting on a regular basis. But, if you have the radio playing and have a buddy to chat with while you work, it's much much better.
The best thing about this job is that you don't have to deal with customers. You see the same people every day and you all get along pretty well enough that the work day isn't grueling. Also the best thing is that you can just mind your own business or zone out and just set yourself to one task every few hours and get things done.
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons: Under-resourced at the leadership level
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
careful with political area
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 22, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
Wonderful place to work, but be careful of the political area of things, can lead to problems. Loved the staff and patients, allways a new and different day.
Always Changing
Secretary II (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Despite all the changes it is still a decent place to work. Management does their best to keep up with all the changes.
Co-workers are usually great to work with. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the changes and adjusting to them.
Managment is horrible and hateful.
Clerk II (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 13, 2016
Pros: Managment
Cons: Coworkers
DO NOT stand up for yourself, because the management of HIM will bully you, haul you into countless meetings, & play head games. The worst management I have ever worked for, they have no training as managers, nor do they have natural skills to manage. Good luck!!
Headquarters