Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Challenging but fun environment to work
Environmental II (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2017
Since i step my feet on the unit where i work in its getting busy and busier.

Learning is on the process every day you learn new things how to improve your daily routine and give good judgemental to your job

Management are helpful and they do what they can to help our job easier

The hardest part is when im just new some certain thing that must be in proper places but its to many to remember at first but when i used to it easy!

Most Enjoyable is to meet people and even helping to train/orient a new member..
Pros
good benifets
Cons
days of work
Great people to work with/for. Good pay
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB12 January 2017
Workplace safety was very important, there was always opportunity to voice any concerns within the workplace. There was always hands on learning experiences. If there were any problems, it was easy to voice them to managers. And i always found it enjoyable to work with the other employees. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect of it, but that was also the best part becasue it kept me moving and active.
Government
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
There are two types of positions: In-Scope and Out of Scope. In-Scope positions are unionized. If you enjoy working in a unionized environment, then AHS is a great place to work.

For Out-of-Scope positions, you are dealing directly with the manager. AHS is very bureaucratic and things are slow to change, but there is opportunity to improve processes and directly affect patient care.
Pros
Pension and generous vacation time
Cons
Bureaucratic and slow to change
Very toxic place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 February 2017
The management in the dept. where I worked were horrible, rude & spiteful people. Not allowed to speak your own mind & if you did you were hauled into the office & given a talking to!
I do NOT recommend working for this company ever! They kill your spirit & wear you down. Almost suffered a nervous breakdown working there:(
Pros
Great benefits & wages
Cons
Horrible management!
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
Good benefits
Human Resources Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 February 2017
The position was a good opportunity. I liked the co-workers I shared an office with. Very team oriented and always helping each other. The benefits were the best. My brother in law was in a severe accident and AHS was very supportive with time off and sick leave.
Pros
co workers and benefits
Cons
no flexible hours and basement office
Turn on the ovens, steamers.
Cook/Prep-Nutrition Food Services (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 February 2017
Turn on the oven, steamers, start breakfast for patients, breakfast for costumer at the cafeteria, lunch.
I learn empathy for other people who work in service industry jobs.
I work with many people from different countries.
The hardest part they don't have many hours to work.
I like every thing about my job I love cooking.
Overall a great place to work.
Certified Health Information Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
My position had a very heavy work load and the day just flew by.
I had great assistance. Every day was different, because every day different requests would come in that had to be dealt with. There was always something to learn, which is a good thing.
Pros
Could sometimes combine morning & afternoon breaks into one break and make it an exercise break.
Cons
very busy hours
Horrible management and work conditions
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2017
There is very poor management in my department... cannot sit idle for two minutes even after our work is done... have to keep moving continuously. We are made feel guilty about calling in sick. There is too much work pressure on us. We are short staffed on most days without management coming to us and asking if we need any help. Scheduling is horrible. Have to work too many weekends. Work/life balance is not good. There is a lot of favouritism in our department. We are never appreciated for our hard work. We are constantly reminded of any mistakes that we have made. The work conditions are extremely poor.... bad lighting, zero ventilation (working with extremely hazardous substances) some areas of the department are too hot while some are too cold. There is no separation between hazardous and toxic substances and other non toxic substances. The work environment is full of stress.
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
I truly enjoy my job
Part time license practical nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 November 2016
It's all about building relationships with clients with staff with other facilities improving communication and getting things done in a timely manner to address issues for clients provide the supports required for their future success
Pros
Client relationships ... Great staff / coworkers
Health care aide
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I worked for them for 2 years management is horrible and bully you but great resources to keep your knowledge up always Drama no matter how much you avoid it try resolving it threw management they leave you feeling stupid and more upset then when u walked in
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Drama BAD management
Productive and fun!
Logistics Coordinator, Accreditation (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
This job was the highlight of my career thus far. Employees are well taken care of. The work life balance is excellent. I was allowed to learn and grow here. I also felt rewarded and appreciated for my hard work. I would love to work for AHS again!
Pros
flexible schedule
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Support IV (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 January 2017
Excellent work environment. Fast paced and challenging work setting with great management team. Great opportunities and experience in the health care industry. Professional and well mannered setting.
Pros
Great pay, living allowance and benefits.
Cons
Far from family.
Great Place to Work
Clerk II - Data Conversion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alberta Health Services is a great place to work if you can get a good position. I like my job but it is casual and all of a sudden shifts already scheduled were being cancelled. I would definitely continue to work here if hours were guaranteed,
Pros
Good hours, Good pay
Cons
as a casual employee, shifts are not regular and canceled short notice
Good
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
Unit clerks perform a variety of reception, clerical and administrative tasks at nursing stations on the units or wards of hospitals, continuing care centres, physician's offices and other medical facilities. A typical day at work was good, my management and co-workers were awesome.
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 February 2017
Not my dream career position, would rather be working directly with clients.
I have grown as a person since I started there and enhanced and utilized my skills.
I really enjoying working with the people who are in the same office as I am.
okay place to work that department would like another department
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2016
I like job because it was very physical and had good benefits and the time line. Monday to Friday 6-2 good hour to work worked with my life. Not the best environment to work in no air condition in the summer and working with fecal matter.
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.
lots of staff that are nice to work with
Food Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2016
flexible shifts
interact with hospital patients
management are nice
good working place
nice staff to work with
can be a challenge to work here when you encounter difficult customers.
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
do not give out points for casual