Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unionized healthcare environment
Secretary/Admin/Clerk -Conjunct U of C (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 1, 2015
A key accountability of this role was the versatility to manage multiple conflicting priorities, which I enjoyed. The positions I held required a malleable mind, the ability to multitask, and a keen sense of humour to defuse the stress-inducing moments. I gained a number of transposable soft-skills from this employer.
Nursing Attendant - Neuro Trauma Unit
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2015
Assisted nurses with maintaining patient care.
Learned a lot about patience, organization as well as my compassion for helping others in need.
Hardest part of the job is detaching yourself emotionally from patients and their situations, while maintaining professionalism but remaining caring and compassionate.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are truly making an impact on patients lives, it is rewarding knowing that you are helping them to get back to their loved ones.
Favorite Employment
Clerk III, Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Camrose, ABMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Assisting people seeking services at work and throughout the community
Cons: Restructuring, Unionized and non-unionized environment
Always exciting at work, busy work environment. Great working with nursing and professional staff.
Hardest part of the job was leaving to pursue a new career in sales and advertising. I wanted to branch out and try something completely new. I miss it everyday.
EHO
Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great wage and benefits
Cons: Poor Management
Great Job, got to meet a number of unique individuals.
Salary is fantastic 9-5 job with weekends off.

Culture in EH needs vast improvement
Working as an Industrial Hygienist at AHS.
Occupational Hygiene Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
Excellent place to work. Interesting work. Great people to work with.Good life balance. Benefits and remuneration could be improved to be competitive.
Excellent job
Scheduler/ Clerk V (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2015
I loved this job but I had to leave due to relocating to another province. I learned this job very quickly and advanced within the company very quickly as well. My manager was excellent but my coworkers were very argumentative and made it hard for me to work. I handled it by doing the best job I could.
Total job satisfaction.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), AlbertaMarch 18, 2015
Satisfactory, it is day to day. Always available, resourceful and beneficially essential. No co-worker, except when on vacation. When there is an emergency outbreak otherwise job satisfaction.
A very fulfilling job with client centered care
Registerd Nurse/ Lactation Consultsnt (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: i am very confident and conscientious in my job
Cons: no breaks incorporated in the shift
I have been with Alberta Health Services for over 14 years in Postpartum in a hospital setting for 2 years and then in Public Health giving vaccinations for 2 years and then specializing in Postpartum Community Health Services ever since. I am also a Lactation Consultant. My typical day involves engaging in new moms and babies the day after they leave the hospital and following them up until the baby is 2 months of age if required. I provide resources, complete Postpartum Depression Screens to moms I feel are at risk. I also have follow up telephone calls based on prior visits to assess progress and arrange further follow up if necessary. I work independently, but am able to consult with NTT or SW if needed. I have learned so much, but I would place emphasis on not judging anyone, learning effective communication skills and I feel and have been told by management many times my assessment skills far exceed expectations in every area. I am able to develop a quick rapport with clients which is essential. My co-workers, for me, are another set of eyes on calculating serum bilirubin samples I have collected to ensure no mistakes are made. The hardest part of my job is that I feel I must complete a full assessment no matter how long it takes, even though management only assigns 1.25 hrs per client. At times, this can be done if the rest can be done over the phone. But if I am at a clients' home, I will not have them commute to the office to be seen for the rest of the assessment to be completed. In being a Lactation Consultant as well, I am well versed in breastfeeding challenges. – more... Therefore, I will address this issue every visit instead of having my client have to see a co-worker who is not a Lactation Consultant if they are having Breastfeeding difficulties, which the majority of woman do experience. So I do put in a lot of overtime, but do not claim as it is my choice to give the best care I can, however long it takes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients smile and voice relief and empowered by what I have taught or said to them. This is where I get my motivation to do better. Management, to my knowledge, does not know for the most part, the excellent client care I provide. – less
great interpersonal communication skills
Casual Clerk III (Current Employee), Lethbridge, AlbertaJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: long hours
-Excellent phone etiquette
-Great communications skills
-Excellent computer skills
-Knowledge of the Meditech
-NetCare training
i enjoyed my time at the hospitial
Nursing attendant (Current Employee), Lac La Biche, ABJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: i was always happy
Cons: cafiteria was always closed without warning
i enjoyed communicating with the residents at the hospitial. it would make my day everyday that i worked their. even if i had a bad day a few residents would make my day. i really loved my job enough to try and become a lpn or a registered nurse.
Professional and enjoyable
Clerk 2 (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2015
Typical day is entering influenza records (NCR's)

Learned speed and accuracy with typing.

Management and co-workers were good to work with.

I never had a hard part of the day.

Most enjoyable part was getting to work with good people.
Exciting, and changing daily
Technical Attendant (Community Health Rep) (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me was to go out to different outreach sites and engage at risk and/or marginalized populations for testing, treatment and follow-up of sexually transmitted infections and blood borne pathogens. working closely with registered nurses and building relationships with clients, it was both rewarding and exciting as there were never two days the same.
I learned a lot about infections of these types and how they do not discriminate to just the marginalized populations and can affect us all.
supported by a great manager we were able to accomplish our job in a variety of interesting ways to serve our clients.
The hardest part of the position was having to be involved in notifying clients about serious infections such as HIV.
the most enjoyable part was building relationships and educating people about different infections and how they may be prevented.
Good company to work with
Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 10, 2015
Good company to work with; good salary and benefits; good work/life balance
Good employer
Clerk IV (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2015
AHS offers very competitive wages and many job opportunities.
The co workers are amazing
Hospital Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: benefits, good pay
Cons: not enough staff for the work load
It has been a roller coaster at AHS. However I have made some really great friends and met some really dedicated medical staff.
Clerk III -Edmonton
Clerk III (Former Employee), Edmonton ClinicDecember 23, 2014
Cons: training not adequate, confusing at at times.
Upon commencement of duties, this HIV unit was backlogged with in put of patient charts, experienced a lot of stress trying to catch up on backlog and keeping up with new charts. When new manager took over, she was not very understanding. Co-workers were easy to get along with and friendly.
A great place to work, with good management support.
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2014
Opportunities for advancement, and a wide variety of people, skillsets and demographics.

Excellent location.
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2014
I learned how to handled diverse and difficult people with less stress and more understanding. I demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work co-operatively in the interest of better satisfaction. I developed strategies to resolve conflict for group collaboration and better relationship.
Productive work environment.
Occupational Therapist — Dementia Care Team (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 15, 2014
Enjoyable experience with an excellent team and management.
Great life lessons and learning
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2014
Pros: good pay, unionized, smart coworkers
Cons: patients can be stressful, hard to become an employee initially
I have nothing but good things to say about AHS: they are unionize, pay well, hours are fair.

Coworkers very friendly: most ppl worked great as a team.

1 2 3 4 5

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos