Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

High-strung atmosphere, terrible management, bad for your body
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Various Health Care FacilitiesMay 19, 2015
The day in the life of a medical transcriptionist is not one that I would recommend. Of course working in an office always has it's pros and cons, the negative effects of sitting in a chair, typing all day are ubiquitous and you can't get away from them, even if you work at home. Working from home would be better for doing stretches and getting up and walking around and going for a tea or coffee every now wand then, resetting your eyes and things like that.

At AHS, I mostly enjoyed the casual MT position, as it allowed me to work only when I wanted to because there were enough shifts to work full-time hours.

I learned that sitting behind a desk and typing all day wreaks havoc on your body. Your cardiovascular system suffers, you potentially get carpal tunnel, your joints and ligaments all stiffen and tighten up, your eyesight gets worse from staring at a screen all day. Your back muscles become knotted and tight, adversely affecting your posture and the overall structure of your body. You get fatigued from not moving all day.

Co-workers were mostly middle-aged or older women who did not exercise and only gossiped about other people.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in and not having to prepare anything, if I didn't want to get involved in the drama I would just continue working away, earphones droning out the judgemental comments, and then when I had put in my 8 hours I could just shut down my computer and leave. No preparing anything. No real time-sensitive reports.

The management at FMC, however, was awful as he/she was always talking about
  more... us being out of the job due to voice recognition and threatening job losses. I became interested and studied a different field in healthcare when I was working here, and took a few weeks off to study for my diploma examination (which, due to my casual shift, was totally within my rights and job description). Then upon finishing my diploma examination, it was agreed that I would return to taking shifts because it would take me an indeterminable amount of time to look for work in this area (it has been 3 years and I am not working in this field yet). Instead, my direct supervisor denied me shifts for 3 months, telling me that there were none, all the while giving the full-time staff overtime hours. This forced me to look for other work, and subsequently spiralled me into credit debt due to lack of income. It was very difficult to go to the union in this job position.

The management at another location was pretty bad too, as everyone was terrified of the woman. If you knew she was there, you basically wouldn't even look away from your computer or talk to anyone ever because she would yell at you from a different room, saying she couldn't hear you typing, if you stopped to say anything to anyone. It was more like slavery than an occupation.

I do not recommend working as an MT ever. Go for 2 years for something else, it will be WORTH IT. The pay was nice but, again, not worth it.

Working for AHS though, probably good. They are a union, so as long as you aren't in transcription you're probably good.
Pros
You come in, you do your work, you leave.
Cons
Had to pay for parking, sat in a chair all day, terrible management.
A very fulfilling job with client centered care
Registerd Nurse/ Lactation Consultsnt (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
I have been with Alberta Health Services for over 14 years in Postpartum in a hospital setting for 2 years and then in Public Health giving vaccinations for 2 years and then specializing in Postpartum Community Health Services ever since. I am also a Lactation Consultant. My typical day involves engaging in new moms and babies the day after they leave the hospital and following them up until the baby is 2 months of age if required. I provide resources, complete Postpartum Depression Screens to moms I feel are at risk. I also have follow up telephone calls based on prior visits to assess progress and arrange further follow up if necessary. I work independently, but am able to consult with NTT or SW if needed. I have learned so much, but I would place emphasis on not judging anyone, learning effective communication skills and I feel and have been told by management many times my assessment skills far exceed expectations in every area. I am able to develop a quick rapport with clients which is essential. My co-workers, for me, are another set of eyes on calculating serum bilirubin samples I have collected to ensure no mistakes are made. The hardest part of my job is that I feel I must complete a full assessment no matter how long it takes, even though management only assigns 1.25 hrs per client. At times, this can be done if the rest can be done over the phone. But if I am at a clients' home, I will not have them commute to the office to be seen for the rest of the assessment to be completed. In being a Lactation Consultant as well, I am well versed in breastfeeding challenges.  more... Therefore, I will address this issue every visit instead of having my client have to see a co-worker who is not a Lactation Consultant if they are having Breastfeeding difficulties, which the majority of woman do experience. So I do put in a lot of overtime, but do not claim as it is my choice to give the best care I can, however long it takes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients smile and voice relief and empowered by what I have taught or said to them. This is where I get my motivation to do better. Management, to my knowledge, does not know for the most part, the excellent client care I provide.
Pros
i am very confident and conscientious in my job
Cons
no breaks incorporated in the shift
I am extremely frustrated, disappointed and angry with AHS and how it is functioning and how administration has fostered a style of bullying and fear
Nurse Clinician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2013
I am so disappointed with the culture of AHS. The bullying that occurs by physicians to RN's RD' working in out patient clinics, staff so paranoid of loosing their jobs they are unwilling to give a few in/out catheters from an Urgent Center to assist an Evacuation Center, staff being laid off but administration continuing to get their bonuses, expenses and large salaries when we at the front line are giving out of out pocket and out own supplies to clients so that our clients are not going without. Wo cares for the people who AHS is suppose to be providing services for-the front line workers-but who gets the benefits and bonuses-upper management and administration-how does this work??? The amount of time and energy that is needed to complete what is necessary to work with our patients is exhausting those of us on the front line but if we don't do it -the physicians are not. This then sets precedent and management expects it continues and provides no support for back up or replacement. There is no balance and burn out is prevelent
No one is winning it appears except those who come in -create chaos-get the big severance pay and get out
I have been in health care since 1985 -I have never seen such a mess nor such frustration and back stabbing fear amongst the employees.
This has to be fixed, the bullying management and heirachy style that been adapted recently needs to stop

I am disappointed and absolutely embarrassed how AHS represented or rather had lack of representation during the Calgary flood. I was involved in the first 3 days at an evacuation centre and AHS representation
  more... and guidance was no where and had to be begged for -this should not be. There is so much to be learned from this experience and hope will not happen again. There is so much that can be done to ensure that AHS is right along side CEMA in any disaster withing Calgary  less
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
see above
It does not seem like work, rather like helping people.
Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2014
When I worked at South Calgary Health Centre, I was an Admitting Clerk. I was the second person you saw after being at the Triage Desk. I could take your information in 5 different languages, to best suit your comfort level.
At Sheldon Chumir, I take the messages off the phone and then call the clients back one-by-one. I give them special care because they are old, handicapped, or lonely individuals who have probably not spoken to anyone in days. I listen to their concerns and fill out the referral for equipment or supplies, so that they can have a better quality of life.
The hardest part of any job in the medical profession, is seeing these individuals in pain, knowing all you can do is listen to their concerns.
The most enjoyable part of my job, is when they express their sincerest thanks for my soft manner and proficiency.
I learn something every single day; a new illness, a new way to do my job, a new piece of equipment that I hadn't heard of before. It brings me closer to my co-workers and clients, in a way I can't explain.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
i don't think there is a downside to my job.
Good professional working relationship with co-workers, giving quality care to the patients, family, and to the community.
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2013
Read and get report about plan for patient care and do the best I could to render my responsibilities as a nursing attendant in providing
immediate and routine daily needs of the patients. I've learned a lot at work in dealing with the pt's, family, co-workers and those who are involved in the pt's care----- I've learned to be a good team player, flexible, having a positive attitude. My co-workers are doing their job well and I am getting along well with them but of course disagreement of ideas and arguments are unavoidable but we make sure that we come into a positive solutions at the end and deal with it. The hardest part of the job is having a patient who speaks in different language or who is a language barrier and when staff are not
working together as a team and when staff doesn't respect other staff.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when all the staff are working together as a team. having good working harmonious relationship and getting all the job done well. I also believe that respect for each other
should be present at work. I am happy being part of the team and enjoy my job because I have the heart longs for helping other people, I like and love my job
So much life experience, knowledge and work ethic gained
Clerk III / IV (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
I absolutely loved working in the region, it allowed me to use my personal skills as well as the skills I obtained in school. Very productive and energetic workplace. A typical day of work for me was in the Hospital, getting our small clinic started, opening doors, pulling charts and answering phones, patient questions, calling patients to recovery for blood work testing, sending patients to diagnostic testing, and booking patients for later dates, validating healthcare, Answering emails, scheduling meetings with management for upcoming days. The hardest part of the job was not being able to follow the patients through their appointments, wanting to provide further knowledge and support through their days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily knowledge gained, there were never two days exactly alike, there were always things to learn and things to do.
Pros
Small clinic setting allowed our team to become and stay really close like a family
Cons
Only being there on a casual basis
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Morinville, ABNovember 17, 2015
Shifts begin either at 0700 or at 1400, and the work is enjoyable. Both the tasks and the locations vary, which is pleasant for me because I am very flexible. Some days I am in the lodge administering medications and assisting clients with baths, and other days I am driving around the county to assist clients in the community, whether it be for bath assists or wound care. The hardest part of this job would have to be saying goodbye to my clients. In this line of work, you become almost like family, and when someone passes away, it can be difficult. The clients are the best part of my job. I love meeting new clients, visiting current clients, and getting to know their stories. I have always had home care in my home growing up as my mother was disabled. Being a part of a home care team comes second nature, and I very much love my job, which shows!
Pros
excellent pay, benefits
Cons
being casual, when there aren't any hours to work, can be discouraging
It is very tough working for a union
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABOctober 22, 2015
The women I worked with were fun, upbeat, and enjoyed each others company. The job was very repetitive & had the continuous routine from one day to the next. We worked under our own supervision and could expect to see management on a
bi or tri -monthly basis. We made our job enjoyable and worked as a tight group to always get the work done & help each other out.
Working in a hospital is what you make of it. You can chose to go with the negative aspect or know that it is a job and choose to enjoy yourself. There were many morale issues that were never dealt with properly, and often you would notice adults treating each other like bullies with management standing by with their hands tied by the union.
I truly believe under the proper management without a union, most of these situations could of been dealt with promptly & properly.
Pros
Superviseing ourselves and a great 6am - 2pm shift
Cons
Union Job
I loved the hospital and staff I worked with. Being a LPN, there was little or no room for advancement although job security was great.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2014
My typical day at work: I worked shift work; days, evenings and nights. My shifts varied from 8 -12 hours, occasionally 16 hour shifts if we were understaffed due to sick calls. This was my first and only job I've ever had as a LPN.
What I learned in school was cemented while working at the Royal Alexandra Hospital.
Management: I had a few different managers, they were all very understanding and kind to the staff.
The hardest part of the job was that nursing can be quite draining physically and mentally, even emotionally when there are deaths experienced first hand.
The most enjoyable part of the job: The people I met. Whether it was staff, patients or patient families. Its very much the people that make nursing enjoyable and rewarding.
My job is worthwhile for me. But its only a short hour work. I need another shorter partime job.
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 30, 2014
I've been working for 3 years in my regular job and I enjoyed it everyday.
The whole morning shift (6.5 hours) is systematically done according to feeding schedules of all assigned kids at school.
I learned to save time and efforts in finishing the daily task cheerfully without showing any hardship. I am happy doing my routines everyday.
The management are reasonable. My colleagues are approachable and understanding in my part. Teamwork is great.
Some days are hard when there are emergency medical problems, but the Licenced Practical Nurse is there to solve the problem. Better work communication and teamwork makes our problem solved easier.
I really enjoyed working with the special kids.
Pros
get together celebration on birthdays with co workers.
Cons
understaff but rare.
Exciting, and changing daily
Technical Attendant (Community Health Rep) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ABJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me was to go out to different outreach sites and engage at risk and/or marginalized populations for testing, treatment and follow-up of sexually transmitted infections and blood borne pathogens. working closely with registered nurses and building relationships with clients, it was both rewarding and exciting as there were never two days the same.
I learned a lot about infections of these types and how they do not discriminate to just the marginalized populations and can affect us all.
supported by a great manager we were able to accomplish our job in a variety of interesting ways to serve our clients.
The hardest part of the position was having to be involved in notifying clients about serious infections such as HIV.
the most enjoyable part was building relationships and educating people about different infections and how they may be prevented.
While Frontline staff are awesome and take great pride in their work, AHS is a hierarchical and generally dysfunctional organization
RN (Former Employee) –  Chinook Health RegionOctober 13, 2013
Management and Human Resources say they are about recruitment and retention when in fact they are the cause of attrition. I worked for AHS for 10 years, in several different environments, many were filled with harassment and bullying but little is done even though both AHS, and UNA have policies to deal with it. Managers are not trained in leadership and are often behind the dysfunction. The best manager with the happiest workplace I have worked in was let go because manager butted heads with middle management. They find something that will stick and then run with it, and are not afraid to ruin your reputation and your career.
I miss the people that I worked with and the patients but I do not miss the politics and the manipulation.
Pros
compensation, benefits, coworkers
Cons
lack of leadership, lack of integrity, lack of care towards staff.
talking to patients and walking them round
NURSING ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
What i enjoy most about my job is working as a team with my coworker, i also like charting with my patient, while doing this, i discovered that some of them have lots of worries and troubled mind and need to talk to someone at that particular time, they share their life experiences, i tell them about my culture and they feel a lot of relief, sometimes they want to go on a walk, but being new to the environment, they don't know if its right to do so or not, they need company, consolation and someone to tell them they will get better and not worry about the sickness as such., so its like making their day and giving them assurance some cares for them. i love to work as team. the hardest part of the job is when patients family don't appreciate your job and makes you feel you are not giving enough of your profession.
Pros
talking with patient (charting)
Fun and productive workplacewith a team environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 17, 2014
I go into work and check my e-mail to make sure that I don't miss any important messages from my manager and supervisors. From another office I will upload and scan invoices coming in through e-mail to mark view. Then Ill go to the mail room and pick up the A/P, A/R, and other financial department bins for internal mail. I will also grab the Edmonton and Red Deer courier boxes. I sort all the internal and courier invoices and count them separately. Ill distribute the mail to different people and teams in my department. There are 1000+ invoices sometimes. Ill enter all of this data into our excel spreadsheet. I enjoy having a team environment with cubicles being close together. My co-workers are patient and friendly. To be continued.....
On the go all day!
Food Service 1 (Current Employee) –  Tofield, ABJanuary 9, 2013
Busy all the time. I`m learning something new every day as there are so many different aspects of the job! Lots to remember. So far I have been learning the ware washing. And surprisingly enjoying it overall. My co-workers to date are a good group of people and are very willing to tell me or to show me what to do!! Very helpful! For me the hardest part of this job is taking out & bringing in the BIG garbage bin. But to this point, everyone has been willing to assist me! Of course the most enjoyable part of the job is getting out of my house and working with a wide scope of different people personalities
Pros
i get to meet more people and learn more things i never knew about the job.
Cons
lots to learn & remember all at once, but i`m willing!!
Job Security and a dynamic work environment .
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
A typical work day is coming in, greeting your team and getting to work on the tasks that need to be done for the day. The Team Lead will also delegate some tasks that my need to be a priority.
Any requested time off, is usually given with appropriate notice.
You can work independently and in a team environment. There is always the possibility to take courses if you are interested as well.
Co-workers are easy to get along with as well. The hardest part of the job is once you do know your job, the learning comes to a stand still, that can be frustrating. Best part of the job, is being able to get out for a lunch time walk, and be still have your lunch at your desk.
Pros
break and lunch time hours flexiable
Cons
your at you desk all day, would be more enjoyable if you could have a stand-up work station
Top heavy and political IT department
Informatics Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: Excellent pay and life balance. Non-management coworkers were fantastic to work with. There are some real amazing people working here.

Cons: You earn your wages by surviving the toxic work environment. Prepare yourself to endure perpetual sterile team building exercises and management circle jerks. Disorganized, lacks direction, laden with cronyism and the subsequent incompetent mid-level managers. Had a few managers that had no clue what an active directory was... not a good sign in an IT department.

This could be a fantastic place to work - but only after they remove half of the management.
Pros
great co-workers - excellent pay/benefits
Cons
too many managers - toxic work environment
Hard worker , fast learner and teamplayer
Clerical and reception duties for the nursing unit (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaMay 31, 2013
a typical day at work was busy with phones scheduling surgery. Dealing with 4 nurses and sometimes 8 drs. faxing and filing and updated data on the computer. I learned how to organize a clinic that was in great distress. Management was good for the most part and rewarding to learn from them. My coworkers were great i miss them actually there were fun helpful and mademe feel apart of their team.
The hardest part was trying to deal with angry hurt scared patients all the time.
The most enjoyable part was just being a part of a team and the people i got to wok with
Pros
great people, new experiences, raises
Cons
long hours, high stress all the time
Solid Team Work. Good Communication. Opportunities for learning
Psychiatric Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 10, 2013
Currently working night shift.
do rounds at least very 30 minutes. Help with admitting protocol of new patients. Keep unit and Nursing Station tidy. Advise Nurse in Charge of any change in patients status. Collect urine samples as ordered. Sit constant if ordered. Ensure safety of patients and staff. Report any workplace or patient dangers.

The hardest part of the job is travelling 4 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is giving a patient a reason to smile and seeing them get well.
Pros
always look forward to going to work. very satisfying
Cons
4 hour travelling time per day
During 2011-12, I was able to take many courses towards my continuing education.
Regional Supervisor, Data Collection (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2014
Multi-site coordination leading the workforce to stringent Turnaround Times (TATs) in data submissions. Approximately 660,000 visits per year were collected including inpatient, outpatient and some clinic information.
Human resources and administrative challenges with large workforce.
Project management skills for reporting new visits.
Leading audit process to improve quality of data and improve patient care.
Most enjoyable part is talking one-on-one with the coding specialists.
Engaging and promoting continuing education with staff
Pros
sense of humour to meet all the challenges