Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Flexibility, work-life balance,
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Pros: work-life balance and flexibility
Cons: promotional avenues are restricted
During the course of six years at AHS working in the capacity of Workplace Health and safety Advisor, we got trained almost in every field of health and safety (Hygiene, IAQ, ergonomic, safety, full face and half mask fit testing, management of health and safety, establishing the safety culture.and also customer services.
Home health aide
Heath Aide (Current Employee), Didsbury abJune 21, 2015
Pros: wages, benefits, patients/learning new skills-improving/education
Cons: Not enough travel between patients residence-safety issue, call constantly for more hours
Good wages & benefits, good cont. education, decent management
Inadequate or safe travel times in between patients, 15 minutes for travel 2-3 patients, health& safety! There was a near fatal accident with staff & they never have improved this.
Great learning & interactions with patients/families
Learned new skills
High-strung atmosphere, terrible management, bad for your body
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Various Health Care FacilitiesMay 19, 2015
Pros: You come in, you do your work, you leave.
Cons: Had to pay for parking, sat in a chair all day, terrible management.
The day in the life of a medical transcriptionist is not one that I would recommend. Of course working in an office always has it's pros and cons, the negative effects of sitting in a chair, typing all day are ubiquitous and you can't get away from them, even if you work at home. Working from home would be better for doing stretches and getting up and walking around and going for a tea or coffee every – more... now wand then, resetting your eyes and things like that.

At AHS, I mostly enjoyed the casual MT position, as it allowed me to work only when I wanted to because there were enough shifts to work full-time hours.

I learned that sitting behind a desk and typing all day wreaks havoc on your body. Your cardiovascular system suffers, you potentially get carpal tunnel, your joints and ligaments all stiffen and tighten up, your eyesight gets worse from staring at a screen all day. Your back muscles become knotted and tight, adversely affecting your posture and the overall structure of your body. You get fatigued from not moving all day.

Co-workers were mostly middle-aged or older women who did not exercise and only gossiped about other people.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in and not having to prepare anything, if I didn't want to get involved in the drama I would just continue working away, earphones droning out the judgemental comments, and then when I had put in my 8 hours I could just shut down my computer and leave. No preparing anything. No real time-sensitive reports.

The management at FMC, however, was awful as he/she was always talking about us being out of the job due to voice recognition and threatening job losses. I became interested and studied a different field in healthcare when I was working here, and took a few weeks off to study for my diploma examination (which, due to my casual shift, was totally within my rights and job description). Then upon finishing my diploma examination, it was agreed that I would return to taking shifts because it would take me an indeterminable amount of time to look for work in this area (it has been 3 years and I am not working in this field yet). Instead, my direct supervisor denied me shifts for 3 months, telling me that there were none, all the while giving the full-time staff overtime hours. This forced me to look for other work, and subsequently spiralled me into credit debt due to lack of income. It was very difficult to go to the union in this job position.

The management at another location was pretty bad too, as everyone was terrified of the woman. If you knew she was there, you basically wouldn't even look away from your computer or talk to anyone ever because she would yell at you from a different room, saying she couldn't hear you typing, if you stopped to say anything to anyone. It was more like slavery than an occupation.

I do not recommend working as an MT ever. Go for 2 years for something else, it will be WORTH IT. The pay was nice but, again, not worth it.

Working for AHS though, probably good. They are a union, so as long as you aren't in transcription you're probably good. – less
AHS was an okay place to work
Clerk IV (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
Alberta health services was an okay place to work, people who have already been employed with AHS are gaurenteed job security within the region.
So much life experience, knowledge and work ethic gained
Clerk III / IV (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
Pros: Small clinic setting allowed our team to become and stay really close like a family
Cons: Only being there on a casual basis
I absolutely loved working in the region, it allowed me to use my personal skills as well as the skills I obtained in school. Very productive and energetic workplace. A typical day of work for me was in the Hospital, getting our small clinic started, opening doors, pulling charts and answering phones, patient questions, calling patients to recovery for blood work testing, sending patients to diagnostic – more... testing, and booking patients for later dates, validating healthcare, Answering emails, scheduling meetings with management for upcoming days. The hardest part of the job was not being able to follow the patients through their appointments, wanting to provide further knowledge and support through their days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily knowledge gained, there were never two days exactly alike, there were always things to learn and things to do. – less
Loved the company
Nursing Attendant (casual) (Current Employee), Radway , St.Paul , EdmontonMay 5, 2015
I loved the staff at AHS , they are all so welcoming and kind. The best place i have ever been employed :) The staff work very well together and are very empathetic to the patients. The best part of working for AHS is the way they take such pride in the residents and patients care.
Very productive and fullfilling
Unit Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: worked with life schedule
Cons: managment changed a lot
Loved this job. Only left because we moved back to Texas. Very fast paced so the day went by fast. Loved my coworkers. Love the medical field and all I learnedat this job.
Health Information Management (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 6, 2015
Great Work Place very organised and focused on the health service and try to assist to make it easy for every one to work there
Unionized healthcare environment
Secretary/Admin/Clerk -Conjunct U of C (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 1, 2015
A key accountability of this role was the versatility to manage multiple conflicting priorities, which I enjoyed. The positions I held required a malleable mind, the ability to multitask, and a keen sense of humour to defuse the stress-inducing moments. I gained a number of transposable soft-skills from this employer.
Nursing Attendant - Neuro Trauma Unit
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2015
Assisted nurses with maintaining patient care.
Learned a lot about patience, organization as well as my compassion for helping others in need.
Hardest part of the job is detaching yourself emotionally from patients and their situations, while maintaining professionalism but remaining caring and compassionate.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are truly making an impact on patients lives, it is rewarding knowing that you are helping them to get back to their loved ones.
Favorite Employment
Clerk III, Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Camrose, ABMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Assisting people seeking services at work and throughout the community
Cons: Restructuring, Unionized and non-unionized environment
Always exciting at work, busy work environment. Great working with nursing and professional staff.
Hardest part of the job was leaving to pursue a new career in sales and advertising. I wanted to branch out and try something completely new. I miss it everyday.
EHO
Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee), Leduc, ABMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great wage and benefits
Cons: Poor Management
Great Job, got to meet a number of unique individuals.
Salary is fantastic 9-5 job with weekends off.

Culture in EH needs vast improvement
Working as an Industrial Hygienist at AHS.
Occupational Hygiene Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
Excellent place to work. Interesting work. Great people to work with.Good life balance. Benefits and remuneration could be improved to be competitive.
Excellent job
Scheduler/ Clerk V (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2015
I loved this job but I had to leave due to relocating to another province. I learned this job very quickly and advanced within the company very quickly as well. My manager was excellent but my coworkers were very argumentative and made it hard for me to work. I handled it by doing the best job I could.
Total job satisfaction.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), AlbertaMarch 18, 2015
Satisfactory, it is day to day. Always available, resourceful and beneficially essential. No co-worker, except when on vacation. When there is an emergency outbreak otherwise job satisfaction.
A very fulfilling job with client centered care
Registerd Nurse/ Lactation Consultsnt (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: i am very confident and conscientious in my job
Cons: no breaks incorporated in the shift
I have been with Alberta Health Services for over 14 years in Postpartum in a hospital setting for 2 years and then in Public Health giving vaccinations for 2 years and then specializing in Postpartum Community Health Services ever since. I am also a Lactation Consultant. My typical day involves engaging in new moms and babies the day after they leave the hospital and following them up until the baby – more... is 2 months of age if required. I provide resources, complete Postpartum Depression Screens to moms I feel are at risk. I also have follow up telephone calls based on prior visits to assess progress and arrange further follow up if necessary. I work independently, but am able to consult with NTT or SW if needed. I have learned so much, but I would place emphasis on not judging anyone, learning effective communication skills and I feel and have been told by management many times my assessment skills far exceed expectations in every area. I am able to develop a quick rapport with clients which is essential. My co-workers, for me, are another set of eyes on calculating serum bilirubin samples I have collected to ensure no mistakes are made. The hardest part of my job is that I feel I must complete a full assessment no matter how long it takes, even though management only assigns 1.25 hrs per client. At times, this can be done if the rest can be done over the phone. But if I am at a clients' home, I will not have them commute to the office to be seen for the rest of the assessment to be completed. In being a Lactation Consultant as well, I am well versed in breastfeeding challenges. Therefore, I will address this issue every visit instead of having my client have to see a co-worker who is not a Lactation Consultant if they are having Breastfeeding difficulties, which the majority of woman do experience. So I do put in a lot of overtime, but do not claim as it is my choice to give the best care I can, however long it takes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients smile and voice relief and empowered by what I have taught or said to them. This is where I get my motivation to do better. Management, to my knowledge, does not know for the most part, the excellent client care I provide. – less
great interpersonal communication skills
Casual Clerk III (Current Employee), Lethbridge, AlbertaJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: long hours
-Excellent phone etiquette
-Great communications skills
-Excellent computer skills
-Knowledge of the Meditech
-NetCare training
i enjoyed my time at the hospitial
Nursing attendant (Current Employee), Lac La Biche, ABJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: i was always happy
Cons: cafiteria was always closed without warning
i enjoyed communicating with the residents at the hospitial. it would make my day everyday that i worked their. even if i had a bad day a few residents would make my day. i really loved my job enough to try and become a lpn or a registered nurse.
Professional and enjoyable
Clerk 2 (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2015
Typical day is entering influenza records (NCR's)

Learned speed and accuracy with typing.

Management and co-workers were good to work with.

I never had a hard part of the day.

Most enjoyable part was getting to work with good people.
Exciting, and changing daily
Technical Attendant (Community Health Rep) (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me was to go out to different outreach sites and engage at risk and/or marginalized populations for testing, treatment and follow-up of sexually transmitted infections and blood borne pathogens. working closely with registered nurses and building relationships with clients, it was both rewarding and exciting as there were never two days the same.
I learned a lot about infections – more... of these types and how they do not discriminate to just the marginalized populations and can affect us all.
supported by a great manager we were able to accomplish our job in a variety of interesting ways to serve our clients.
The hardest part of the position was having to be involved in notifying clients about serious infections such as HIV.
the most enjoyable part was building relationships and educating people about different infections and how they may be prevented. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos