Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
Horrible management and work conditions
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2017
There is very poor management in my department... cannot sit idle for two minutes even after our work is done... have to keep moving continuously. We are made feel guilty about calling in sick. There is too much work pressure on us. We are short staffed on most days without management coming to us and asking if we need any help. Scheduling is horrible. Have to work too many weekends. Work/life balance is not good. There is a lot of favouritism in our department. We are never appreciated for our hard work. We are constantly reminded of any mistakes that we have made. The work conditions are extremely poor.... bad lighting, zero ventilation (working with extremely hazardous substances) some areas of the department are too hot while some are too cold. There is no separation between hazardous and toxic substances and other non toxic substances. The work environment is full of stress.
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
Very toxic place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 February 2017
The management in the dept. where I worked were horrible, rude & spiteful people. Not allowed to speak your own mind & if you did you were hauled into the office & given a talking to!
I do NOT recommend working for this company ever! They kill your spirit & wear you down. Almost suffered a nervous breakdown working there:(
Pros
Great benefits & wages
Cons
Horrible management!
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Good place to work to raise a family.
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Good place to work to raise a family. The company respects all the holidays and allow for very flexible work time.

Excellent job security but forget about career advancement and training.
Pros
life balance
Cons
no advancementw
Productive and fun!
Logistics Coordinator, Accreditation (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
This job was the highlight of my career thus far. Employees are well taken care of. The work life balance is excellent. I was allowed to learn and grow here. I also felt rewarded and appreciated for my hard work. I would love to work for AHS again!
Pros
flexible schedule
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Support IV (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 January 2017
Excellent work environment. Fast paced and challenging work setting with great management team. Great opportunities and experience in the health care industry. Professional and well mannered setting.
Pros
Great pay, living allowance and benefits.
Cons
Far from family.
Loved being a Community Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - varied day to day as there was many things that were included in the job description. I taught Pulmonary Rehab courses, did Asthma Education, performed breathing tests as required, made home visits to palliative patients, performed certain blood tests, taught caregivers about respiratory medications, their use, how they work, and the care of the different delivery devices. Also helped with Baby Wellness days in the region.

What I learned - time management, taking a leading role for teaching purposes, talking in an educational setting

Co-workers - I had the BEST co-workers at whichever site I was at.

Hardest part - leaving. I was only covering a maternity leave and there was a hiring freeze so they couldn't hire me on permanently

Most enjoyable - co-workers, clients, patients, being able to do what I was trained to do and doing it well.
Pros
Doing what I was trained to do, clients, co-workers
Cons
Leaving when my temporary position was over
A well organized company
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB11 February 2017
Offers competitive wages and a well organized place of work. Allows many areas of opportunity for learning and advancement.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Huge Company = Less recognition
Challenging but fun environment to work
Environmental II (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2017
Since i step my feet on the unit where i work in its getting busy and busier.

Learning is on the process every day you learn new things how to improve your daily routine and give good judgemental to your job

Management are helpful and they do what they can to help our job easier

The hardest part is when im just new some certain thing that must be in proper places but its to many to remember at first but when i used to it easy!

Most Enjoyable is to meet people and even helping to train/orient a new member..
Pros
good benifets
Cons
days of work
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB2 July 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
Good benefits
Human Resources Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 February 2017
The position was a good opportunity. I liked the co-workers I shared an office with. Very team oriented and always helping each other. The benefits were the best. My brother in law was in a severe accident and AHS was very supportive with time off and sick leave.
Pros
co workers and benefits
Cons
no flexible hours and basement office
In general I find working at Alberta Health Services very rewarding.
HEALTH PROMOTION FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2016
Working with Seniors of all abilities and cultures I found it very rewarding both, with the people to work with and as a learning experience. The other fitness leaders were always helpful and willing to assist when required.
I don't think I can honestly say that I've met a grumpy older adult in any of my fitness classes, they were an amazing group of people to work with and generally very grateful as a number of my sites were lower income sites
The time I was in Allied Health Dept. there was quite a change over in management, there were 6 new managers for my specific Department in less than a year so a lot of change as each implemented their own policys. This time had some difficult moments when we as employee's were left out of any planning to the times we were asked for input which were better.
I worked half days on my own traveling from site to site to deliver fitness classes to seniors and ultimately handicapped individuals. The most difficult part of the job was the travel especially in the winter months
Pros
training and upgradeing supplied
Cons
In the PC&CDM Dept, working evenings is required
Health care aide
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I worked for them for 2 years management is horrible and bully you but great resources to keep your knowledge up always Drama no matter how much you avoid it try resolving it threw management they leave you feeling stupid and more upset then when u walked in
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Drama BAD management
Good job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB17 July 2016
Very large company and organization so difficult to feel connected.
Benefits are not the greatest. Good job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Just a number
okay place to work that department would like another department
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2016
I like job because it was very physical and had good benefits and the time line. Monday to Friday 6-2 good hour to work worked with my life. Not the best environment to work in no air condition in the summer and working with fecal matter.
Ok if you get in to the right department
Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 January 2017
I did not have coverage for vacation or sick days so worked from home on those days. Toxic work environment in this particular department and seemed to be encouraged by management.