Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Great people to work along side.
MAINTENANCE WORKER III (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2017
A typical day starts at 8:00 am and in a hospital work environment you day to day constantly changes E.g. One day you could be changing filters in air handling units and the next day you could be fixing and cleaning induction units in rooms.

I personally learned a number of things working within AHS such as;

Monitoring fire dampers to make sure when they were tested that they closed and opened properly.

How to troubleshoot and identify minor issues with AHU (air handling units)
Pros
The people I have had the pleasure of working with
Cons
Long wait for FTE (full time employment)
Perfect place to work
Registered Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 December 2017
Excellent work culture.
Motivating and helping colleagues.
Support for education and training.
Leaves on pre approval.
Best salary in the area.
Job stability.
Okay
Data entry and filing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2017
I started after graduated from collage and the manager were very good, she treated me and other graduated students as equal as the other workers who were there for years. We were worked as data entry but it was more than just that. The hours where very flexible. the work environment was very friendly.
Good people, meaningful work.
Privacy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 December 2017
Good people to work with the work was public service and meaningful. There were substantial challenges due to the massive changes and expected growing pains of creating a province wide company with 120,000+ employees.
Managment was not able to assist with interpersonal issues when requested
RN (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB29 November 2017
I loved the job and working with nearly all of my coworkers. When I had exhausted my skills in resolving some issues with a colleague I requested the aid of Management. This was not as effective as I had hoped.
Pros
Health care benifits for family
Cons
Costic work environment on one unit only
To be a nurse can be hard but can also be very rewarding at the same time.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2017
A typical day at work can be busy. Lots of vital signs, medication administrations, dressing changes, bedside care, ceiling lifts, caring for orthopedic patients post op, caring for confused patient post op fracture, IV starts, Catheter inserts/removal, etc. In between the chaos, you really learn to work with your time management and organization skills (and sometimes called as "organized chaos")

Workplace culture is pretty good and is dependent on every unit to be honest. Healthcare staffs are fun to work with. Most staff I have worked with demonstrate teamwork and professional. Jobs can get stressful, but at the end of the day, I am grateful for having such a wonderful team--- my work family.

Hardest Part is being affected mentally and emotionally with patient you have gotten to know and patient having a negative outcome.

Most enjoyable part of the job is being a nurse, caring for patients, and working with your team
Pros
Wage increase based on hours worked. Benefits, Sick hours assigned to you, Supportive Management, Teamwork and Professionalism
Cons
Long Hours, Short Staffed most of the times, Challenging assignments, Can affect you emotionally and mentally.
Not Bad
IT Customer Support II (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB28 November 2017
Enjoyed AHS, recommend it to anyone looking to get involved. Salary is unionized so non negotiable but is fair. 8 hour days, 2x anything over that, which is nice.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Structured
Great
Medi Tech, Oracle, and Microsoft Word (Current Employee) –  Provost, AB22 November 2017
Love working within Alberta Health Services, being surrounded with great people, the work environment is good. So much is always going on, fast paste.
Benefits and Pay - Good, but lack of culture more so with management
Coding Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2017
Worked here for almost 5 years now, compensation is great The overall corporate culture I feel is lacking, working environment could be better. I feel management holds a "hiearchy" over employees which at times can distance working relationships.

Lots of gossiping and politics.

We expect our staff to be quiet and unquestioning.

The company is great, but the people not so.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Long hours, gossiping, politics, higher and middle management
Stressful but worthwhile
Addictions Counsellor III (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 November 2017
Stressful but fulfilling on a daily basis. A lot of independence and autonomy given however not much professional supervision provided either (especially as it relates to the psychology profession).
dog walking
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2017
i love walking dogs/taking care of them when i was younger i used to have a lot of puppies,dogs i always took really good care of them also well trained them.
Pros
free
Cons
5 hour
Very good hours
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
It was very good job for being a single parent. The pay was great and they were always very understanding when one of my kids was sick and I had to call in.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Lots of women in the office and drama.
ahs
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2017
My experience working with AHS over-all has been great. I have had the pleasure of working on unit 47 at the RGH facility. I have had two opportunities for specialized work / experience advancement as a casual emplyee, I feel this is extraordinary. The manager Karen Kristjansen allowed me to conduct a project on the unit which has significantly changed the way we care for dementia patients, and am now involved in a COPD specialized education project on the unit. I love that through AHS there are so many perks, education opportunities, and chances for changes in career path.
Pros
great opportunities
Cons
hard to get known starting out
great people to work with, continuous learning
Emergency Communication Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2017
casual Monday to Friday
I learn how to deal with difficult clients and Type A personalities
I experienced both great and bad managers
work place culture is good each individual has there own skills and qualities.
The worst part of the job was not being able to help the people to my fullest extent
learning new skills, working with the great people.
It is a great place to work
Forensic Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta6 November 2017
I don't like the city I am working at and hence the relocation for a more challenging job.busy day at work with occasional client unpredictability. Good team and good manager. good culture at workplace. Hardest part of my job is not having a office of our own, and working at a stakeholders office.
Pros
flexible hours, good manager, ability to work remotely when required
Cons
do not have a building of their own
Standard Job
Neonatal ICU LPN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2017
Depending on which unit you get, you can have the time if your life or have a difficult time. Management seems to be so-so throughout but they’re constantly pulled in many directions and squeezed from up top.
All in all they train you well for your position and do let you move units quite easily too.
EMS is Disorganized, overworked and poorly supported
PRIMARY CARE PARAMEDIC (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2017
Great team, poor middle management and terrible upper management. teams on the street are holding everything together. No ressources added since forever.
good work enviroment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2017
Alberta health services was a good government run organization to work for. they offer competitive wages and benefits to truly help out there employees.
great team work and approach to holistic care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2017
I love my job and the people that I work with. I do wish that there was more time for patient care and not the forms needed for accreditation of the hospitals.
Pros
staff support and training
Cons
unpaid training and overtime
Physically Demanding
Environmentalist II (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB17 October 2017
Alberta Health Services was a very hard and demanding role but proved to be worthwhile. It was satisfying working with and helping the sick, the seniors and other co-workers. It offers a great support team with team work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.