Airport Terminal Services

Airport Terminal Services Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
worst entry level airline job
CSA (Former Employee), YVRApril 6, 2016
Pros: you work at the airport, if travel is your thing
Cons: poorly managed.
in the interview, can you work early mornings? Yes, please.
can you work more than 40, possibly 50 hours a week or more? yes, I can. You get flight benefits. All lies. Worked 16 hours a week. Worked mostly night shifts. There is NO flight benefits!
One cannot survive on 16 hours a week at minimum wage. I would like to know where they find these managers with no working knowledge of people skills? Just awful. Lots of favoritism, and entitlement. Job showed so much promise, but in the end, it was a horrible experience.
A company that needs improvement within managing its employees and able to achieve professionalism in relation with employees. Securement of employee.
Special Service Agent (Former Employee), Richmond AirportOctober 16, 2015
Typical day at work would be proving excellent customer service for guests of the airport.
I've learned to seek proper help when in need.
Management is poor there was lack of professionalism by having better communication of its employees.
Always get called in early to show up for work with little of notice.
Laid off within that 1 month of employment.
Failed to secure workers.

Co workers there was no proper introduction with co workers.
Some co workers dont do the job as it was expected.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping seniors, passengers, guests while working at the airport environment.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that we were going to get laid off while we still have to do our part at an expected date. Knowing that my service would no longer be needed.
fun,
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee), gtaSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: long hours
It is a fun place to work with great management team, who are flexible on giving you more hours as when you need them. Also, the colleagues are very friendly and they are willing to help when help is needed. You get to meet different kinds of passengers everyday. you get to learn new things everyday.
Start @ ATS, transfer to airline when you get security clearance.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2015
This was an O.K place to work for the most part. I've had worse jobs. Like most menial jobs, this one became boring fairly quickly. There was a lot of time off between flights. Some of us would refuel vehicles and get ready for upcoming flights, others would vanish until their flight showed up. Mostly they would go to the green lot ( the parking lot ) and smoke pot from a vaporiser so they wouldn't smell of marihuana. Then work and drive around the planes as high as kites. some crew chiefs too. Every body knew who they were, but they were never confronted.
It was a very transient workforce. After 8 months, I was more than half way up the seniority list. Management was transient too. Several different senior managers came and went in the almost 2 years I was there. We rarely saw or heard from them. I stopped caring about who was in charge.
Training was hit and miss. There were opportunities to advance, but you had to bug them for training and it seemed that the " favored few" got preference.
The company emphasized safety, but it was mostly a paper trail kind of safety. If the paperwork was signed, then the " safety " proceedures were assumed to be in place. There was a policy that stated that any employee could " lock out " a piece of equipment if it was deemed to be unsafe. A tag was attached warning that it was not to be used until repaired. These tags were always ignored and torn off and the equipment was back in service without repair.
Our company's had a contract with an airline to repair their ground service equipment. Our mechanics would ignore its own – more... companys equipment because the company made money repairing the airlines equipment. Therefore, our own equipment was always backlogged at the shop, or just put back into service with only a quick fix.
There is a union, but it is mostly a fake union. Dues are collected, but there are no benefits. The senior union officials on site, or " shop stewards " are just like a branch of management. If you get in trouble with management for any reason, then they will just side with management, or sit by silently and not even attempt to pick up for their union " brother ", unless it's one of the favored few.
Now, all this being said, it was a pretty good place to work. The wages were fairly competitive, and the work was only hard in short spurts of lifting heavy luggage. The rest became a comfortable routine. The crews were friendly and mostly helpful to the new hires, and the field supervisors were fair. There are a lot of good jobs at the airport that pay better. My advice would be to work for A.T.S until you get your security clearance, then apply to work directly for one of the airlines. They have flight benefits and are better organised. – less
interesting not boring job, huge pressure but time going fast
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 12, 2015
Good job, very interesting environment airport, management overall ok but sometimes they are lost with there job..
Salary need to be much better because of job huge responsibility.
Co-workers are very good.
horrible management
Passenger Service (Former Employee), edmonton, abJuly 21, 2015
Pros: great front line staff
Cons: management, long hours, lack of recognition
Some great front-line workers. Upper management does not care about employees and never acknowledges anyone. Poorly run. Great CSM though but awful station manager snd HR not that great. No work/life balance. Actually no life at all with 3:30am shift starts and always staying late for a delay or a cancellation. I would never ever recommend working here to anyone.
Hypocritical Management Staff
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Your Coworkers
Cons: Never knowing when you REALLY finish your shift even after being set a schedule
At this place of employment, your personal health and health of your dependents don't matter. You can receive job write ups for issues your were: a) not trained for, b) not aware of, and/or c) not feeling comfortable in that environment. This is the type of job position were angry passengers is an understatement, but how management handles these situations is pretty much nonexistent.
Good place to work.
Crew Chief (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 3, 2016
Pros: Fun job
Cons: Sore back
Fun environment with people watching you closely while doing your work. The weather could get extreme on the ramp but that just make you tough.
bad place to work
Ramp Agent (Current Employee), 2000 WellingtonJanuary 6, 2016
Dont apply here. everything about it sucks. The bosses are bad, the work is long. the hours suck unless they like you and nobody cares about the job
Could be much better.
Crew Chief (Former Employee), EdmontonSeptember 13, 2015
Pros: The occasional supplied lunch.
Cons: Management doesn't listen to employee problems, staff doesn't always work together.
Management could be better, and the safety of the staff should be a higher priority to them. Some employees refuse to help out and do their jobs, and management rarely do anything about it when informed.
A great experience
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: experience. working with pilots.
Cons: long hours
It was a great experience for me. It was a change of environment from retail stores to a high standards of airline customer service. The only thing that did not meet my liking is that it doesn't have any benefits and has a conflict with my school schedule. Passengers that always has a story or a positive attitude even when the flight is 4-hour delay always make me reevaluate my over all patience.

There was a time when I pulled off a 15-hour shift for two flights in one day because one got a 8-hour delay. Passengers were frustrated and angry.
interesting place to work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2012
Pros: flight benifits
Cons: working with kids and uncaring people.
Always meeting new people.You have yto get a long with people and know who your friends are. There is always some one looking to get you fired so a friend can be hired.
Hardest part of the job is the weather, noise, some co workers.. Rank has no meaning with the compoany.They do look after thier freinds. An average day is like any day your always loading luggae to start.. Some clinmb the ladder in weeks.
My typical work day
OPERATIONS COORDINATOR MANAGEMENT (Current Employee), Pearson International AirportApril 2, 2015
When I first sit down at my desk, I open all applications needed to do my job correctly (about 10 applications).
I am always involved with management to rectify any issues that arise during the day.
I answer phones, communicate over the radio and speak on the air to ground .
There's a lot of clerical work and stats that need to be done daily.
It is a very fast paced, high stress, quick thinking environment that I enjoy.
Like any job, co-workers are hit and miss but I've learned to adapt to different personalities so I am able to get along with most. This also applies to working with the public.
The hardest part is coming up with solutions to better the company and management doesn't acknowledge it. "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." I'd like to think that I will always try and be part of the solution.
Terrible Management
Lead (Former Employee), YULJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: medical
Cons: everything else
Terrible Management, poor wadges and they find all kinds of reasons not to give you your full raise. They put you in situations where you take responsibility for everything, even things out of your hands. Also terrible equipment due to a budget limit, over all unsafe and poor working environment.
Horrible employer PERIOD, stay away, you've been warned (YYZ)
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, Ontario (YYZ)November 14, 2013
Pros: sleep at work, do anytthing, as many hours
Cons: no pay, little pay, payroll issues, management, hr and practically everything else
After being trained for 7 days, we were thrown onto the ramp. Left alone without escorts at all times and not knowing the proper rules. The HR sucks and Management is even worse. The company did not care whether we got out security clearance or not. They don't even have a punch clock that works, which means the hours go based on whatever the manager says. Even signing in on the designated 'sign-in' sheet doesn't matter. They will not pay you for work you do, even if you stay overtime, they pay you regular. 150 bucks deducted for uniform 40 for parking. No uniform received and no PPE. You are paid 10.51 and if you are new, they abuse you. You are made to work harder than everyone else and YOU WILL NOT GET PAID properly.

HR is slack and the payroll guy is a complete waste. Neither can do their jobs, they cry about how tough their job is.

Stay clear of ATS, they don't have benefits and will not have them in the near future. People have been seen signing in, not working and signing out. Everyone sleeps on the job and if you need a hand, only a few people are willing to help out.

NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT! They say you can, but really, you cannot. The next step up is 11 bucks, which you become a lead. At Air Canada, the same position gets you more than double (26 bucks as a lead). More responsibility for minimal raise.
OK NOT BAD COMPANY
Title Active Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2015
CAN WORK AND BALANCE LIFE, WOULD RECOMEND PERSON FOR THIS JOB IF I WOULD BE ASK ABOUT WORKING HERE. THANKS YOU ATS GOOD TEAM PLAYERS GREAT WORK ENVIROMENT AND OVERALL STAFFS ARE EVERY HELPFUL
Worst company to work for
Ramp (Former Employee), Winnipeg, YwgFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Poor wages, poor benefits, management useless, first 3 years there and didnt even see the station manager nor even sure what he does,corporate micromanaged, equipment sucks, uniform only for some that fit or you get used.
Entry level ramp agent
Ramp agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: lots of breaks
Cons: everything else
If you become an entry level ramp agent at YYZ 249/250 you will experience the following:

A union that is weak and lacks Influence unless you personally know the district chair and he likes you. Otherwise you will need to play office politics until you can win him over. Emails to union officials go unanswered unless you press the issue more than you should have to. Like other ramp agent positions in the industry you will be expected to work holidays and will be paid minimum wage. Additionally, you will be working in an environment that it dangerous and will not be given the proper training. The upper and lower management is a joke and favoritism runs rampant through the company. At YYZ they made someone a ramp manger who is unqualified and rude, and does not know how to push back an aircraft. Pathetic company when it comes to HR and being properly paid. Write down all your hours and be diligent because they will underpay you if they can get away with it.
Great work
Ramp Agent (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 14, 2015
Start early in the morning, unload and load planes with baggage, working in extreme conditions. I've learned how airplanes operate, the different types of planes and the process of aviation security.
Airport Life
Passenger Service Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2014
Pros: ability to work as much overtime as desired
Cons: lack of appreciation of employees from managment
Working with a handling company that must balance multiple contracts there is always job insecurity, airlines like a customer must always be satisfied with management and employee performance. Airline employees like myself deal with all types of people in various scenarios. Travel is such a stressful event for many especially those inexperienced travellers whom are often overwhelmed with the reality of it. Daily we encounter passengers who do not have sufficient documentation to travel, expired documents, overbooked flights, delays, cancellations, misconnections and security breaches. In a fast paced environment where every minute counts although stressful we are always guaranteed something new. Each day offers different learning experiences and challenges, it is never a dull moment. In a lead position I must not only oversee and assign the positions of my coworkers but I am the one who is consulted in case of system failures or passenger complaints. Our Toronto team is very enthusiastic and hard working always putting forward there best efforts and that helps to facilitate our entire operation.
Headquarters