Air Liquide Employee Reviews

Thought I would retire there, they had other plans
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
I really thought I had found the company that I would retire with. Pay and benefits were great. My specific position offered a lot of flexibility and opportunities to learn. All was well until I had an ethical disagreement with management. Rather than investigating or treating me with any dignity or respect, it was suggested that I resign before I was terminated. Management turns on you at the drop of a hat.
Pros
Pay and benefits, work/life balance, employee activities (christmas party, golf tournament etc)
Cons
No loyalty from Management
Enjoyed the work and pay was good
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
Worked 4 on/ 4 off throughout western Canada delivering cryogenic fluids with multiple trailer configurations (5,6,7,and 8axle)
Pros
Pay, benefits, performance of the job itself
Cons
Static rule making, highly stressful
Poorly Managed & Pay is Terrible
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON6 October 2016
The Corruna site is run by a Engineer whom does not know her butt from a hole in the ground. She continously flirts with the men to get them to do the work because she has no clue what is going on. The HR department seems to know what she is like, but does nothing in return! The pay is poor and is not worth the responsibility that entills the job.
Challenging
Filling Plant Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bramalea, ON27 September 2016
Constantly learning and growing with a good support system.
Most challenging would be working with many very different personalities.
Mostly enjoyed knowing that at the end of every day, we have done our very best work.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Opposite hours
Stay away from this company!
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Scotford, AB27 September 2016
Working almost 15 years I learned that Air liquide doesn't care about their employees. Very sad because they have really great people working here but in the end the mighty dollar always win. I seen amazing coworkers left in the streets just to make a little bit more money. Customer service and safety goes down but the company doesn't care. Please if you have a family you need to support stay away from this company!
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too many to mention
Was a friendly place to work.
Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2016
See pro's And con's below for mor info. Used to be a good. Place to work. Union shop. But no union support when things go sideways . The philosophy seems to be managment oriented , they do their best to screw over the driver team . which they have layed off (Permanently) to save money and hired a cartage company to take over the product delivery work. DO NOT APPLY TO THIS COMPANY..
Pros
4 and 4 shift. Good home time. Decent pay.
Cons
Management uses deceptive methods, to inspire staff, Recently layed off the complete driving staff, Oppted for hirring out side carrier to save money, 60 people put out of work, Edmonton div, Lead the country in profitts, Company showed 2.5 billion dollars in company profits for the first quarter.
Poorly Managed company, Low pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 September 2016
Poorly managed company. Drivers problems don't get resolved. Poor equipment. Salesman don't listen. Under paid for type of work.
Pros
Cons
under paid for the kind of work. terrible management
Good Learning experience
Lead HSES Advisor (Former Employee) –  CNRL Horizon6 September 2016
New ways of managing an international project and crew were developed, having many nationalities on site. Worked as HSES manager while cross shift was on days off.
Good place to work with lots of opportunity
Financial Analyst, Metal Fabrication (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2016
Days go fast because it's very fast paced. Paid training, friendly colleagues. Good HR practices. Overall, a very good experience.
great work environment
Co2 operator (Former Employee) –  Scotford, AB9 June 2016
The team of operators were very open and able to share their experiences and knowledge. they take you under their arm and show you what is required and done the Air liquide way.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
on call on weekends
Quality assurance
QA / Turn over coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2016
Module and Site Fabrication . Hydrogen and Gasifier plant, managing sub contractor work and Periodical Quality Audit. Advise the management issues.
Summary Overview
Subcontract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 February 2016
12 hours/day very fast paced which keeps you on your toes, Manager is very knowledgeable. I enjoy problem solving and reviewing change orders, change management procedures along with attesting invoices to insure Subcontractors followed the processes as per the agreements.
Empty promises, poor employee management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
Air Liquide claims to be an international company and that is true as far as them having offices in locations around the world. However, these offices don't work well together. In fact I have witness how employees badmouth other centres while officially praising their great collaboration, which in fact is not working at all. They prefer if employees relocate temporarily instead.
Relocating to Calgary with Air Liquide was a nightmare, it was so badly organized. Being sent on assignments is not pleasant, as the company does not make any efforts of making it easier for the employee. For example, expenses are reimbursed via cheque and in foreign countries there is no possibility of cashing them, so you pay out of pocket for everything until you return. Housing provided lacks the most basic things and broken items are not being fixed. It seems all very low-budget.
Frequent hire and fire is common in this location and intellectual property is squandered.
Employee management is poor due to the size of the office and everyone being managed from another location. Often jobs are given to employees in other centres instead because the manager finds it too much effort to manage his remote people.
On the other hand, benefits and salary are good and there are many nice people working there.
Pros
compensation, people
Cons
no "us-feeling", lots of talk behind people's backs, badly organized
Interesting Industry that has taught me a lot of specialized knowledge
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2016
There are many benefits to being an Air Liquide employee, excellent co workers, my immediate manager and upper management are all very down to earth. I receive vacation time, benefits, and a very fair wage.
Unfortunately, I don't feel a though my goals are in alignment with what Air Liquide can offer.
Pros
Ample vacation time and high wages
Cons
Very stressful
Productive and challenging
Area Superintendent (Former Employee) –  CNRL6 February 2016
The work with my last company was challenging day by day. They provided me opportunities to explore many areas such as cost versus production. With the management team we were very successful in working together even in peak production. The most difficult part of the project was to manage many activities in a very small area. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the freedom to manage my area.
Pros
Fly in Fly out
Cons
poor facilities
cafeteria, bon envirenoment
Technicien en informatique (Former Employee) –  Montreal-est, QC26 January 2016
It was great to make stage there don't no about salary was not pay when i do my stage but learn a lot of canadian compagny and the staff was great to make me learn new things.
Poor management
Superviseur Satellite (Former Employee) –  Rimouski, QC20 January 2016
Negative work environment from staff. Complaining, swearing and yelling at each other. Make yourself a gift, don't leave any other company to work there.
Great potential and technologies squandered
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2016
Working at Air Liquide Canada was a disaster from start to finish. The relocation process was so badly organized that upon departure the flight hadn't been booked and the movers broke and "misplaced" a lot of our stuff. The person who organized the relocation was later fired.
Due to the structure of the company there are "centres of excellence", which deal with certain technologies exclusively and also get first pick on projects, no matter where they are located. The other centres only get assignments if the first is drowning in work, which means tons of downtime, made up assignments to keep employees busy, or demeaning assignments one does not need an engineer for. Even having personal connections in other centres don't matter once you're off their radar and you're being treated like they never knew you.
The only way to get real work is to be really lucky, relocate (what's the point of starting there in the first place?) or move to another centre's location for the project duration. When one agrees to the latter, they are put in accommodations lacking the most basic things, while being expected to live on a small per-diem and prepare their own meals. Complaints are ignored or only partially addressed.
Expenses have to be paid out of pocket and there is no way to have them reimbursed as direct deposit, while payroll works like that without issues. Instead, a cheque is issued and the employee has no way to deposit it in the country he currently is in, so more out-of-pocketing is needed. Empty promises are made that the system will be improved soon. Adding to that, you have
  more... to deal with people who don't know the expense regulations and you end up fighting for every cent. The person in this position was fired.
Payroll is unable to issue correct payments and overpaid me. When they noticed their mistake I had to reimburse them asap, but when it came to them reimbursing the moving expenses, it took a whooping three months! The person in this position was fired.
Even when small projects happen, they are managed from another centre. Every centre lives in its own bubble and has no regard or respect for the others, they badmouth one another while openly bragging about their great collaboration efforts.

Reminding people in other centres of your existence results only in empty promises that your skills will be put to good use. Project hours have to be painfully requested and approved, which often fails and causes trouble that falls back onto the person doing the actual project work, who is eventually at risk of getting fired because it looks like they had nothing to do all this time.
Direct managers are not located in Calgary either and therefore have little interest in anything not on their office floor. They prefer giving work to people in the same building rather than picking up the phone and emailing instructions and work documents to people in the Calgary location.
IT is lousy and only recently a local guy was hired. Before that the Calgary centre relied on service from Houston and was treated as a low priority. I waited five weeks for all programs and network access when I started working there. Not even Outlook had been configured on my computer and due the lack of access rights nobody who is not IT can install programs themselves, no matter their background.
Important software like the engineering simulation suite are not installed locally, but on a remote server that frequently fails and remains offline for days. When that happens, IT is usually not available or does not resolve issues fast enough. Requests to install the software locally to solve those issues have been frequently denied with the excuse that it would create too much overhead for the IT department. Nobody seems to mind that the engineering department is unable to work at all.
People are getting hired and fired here on a regular basis, the company has gone through a number of centre managers already.
On the good side: there are lots of nice people working there, the pay was good, so were the benefits. The location features access to the gym of the sun life building, which is small, but affordable for $35 a month.
Pros
Benefits, pay, nice people.
Cons
Company organization, workload, incompetence.
busy warehouse
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2016
most days started early and ended on time. busy warehouse.
Building skids, picking packing and shipping orders were a typical day.
I've been hired on september 2015, fired 11 weeks later...
Superviseur satellite (Former Employee) –  Quebec18 December 2015
This company has an enormous turnover rate and this is mainly related to poor senior management and HR. Overall incapacity to settle and confirm their vision throughout the employees.

Tremendous lack of leadership from top to bottom of the management teams. Co-workers just don't like people coming from other fields of expertise; It is to bad to see this happening within such a big company. People a treated like consumables, not humans. Exactly like the welding product they sell; Burn and throw out to garbage... Do go there, biggest mistake ever!
Pros
Clean and safe work environment