Air Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Entry level underpaid position
Bilingual Customer Sales and Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 15, 2014
Unfortunately the company pays less than scale for this job. As the schedule is unknown until 2 weeks in advance the job work/life balance is nil. Job security is unclear as the expectations do not meet customer service expectations that I have been taught and chose to adhere to.

The co-workers I came into the company with have a strong work ethic however what we have noticed is that other coworkers (not all but some) have none and do not come close to meeting the customer service the company states it expects to provide to it's clients.

The hardest part of the job is the schedule, as we are open 24hours and the schedules you have to chose from are first come first serve we were left with either overnight schedules or relief schedules, the relief schedules are not confirmed until two weeks before the date which leads to no planning of any kind more than 2 weeks ahead.

The most enjoyable part is dealing with the clients; I enjoy providing the best service I am able to and love the challenge of the system used. A good portion of my co-workers are hardworking and great to learn from.
Pros
the clients
Cons
salary/benefits and job work/life balance
great company to work for
Customer Service Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 27, 2015
great company to work for with excellent benefits. interaction with coworkers and the public allows satisfaction in customer service and helpfulness. Variety of work schedules also gives flexibility
support staff
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 6, 2015
Great place to work, very helpful to get job done. Safety practices, by the book jobs done. Good benefits with the Company.
Pros
Free meals, work ethics and after work get together
Cons
Need more travel
Great Benefits, terrible scheduling.
CSM Manager (Former Employee) –  Pearson, ONSeptember 11, 2012
The work life at Air Canada has its ups and downs which are understandable, especially with the great fluctuations in operational demand. The management is good, but there are flaws that are completely ignored and unattended. The only big negative in regards to the work itself would be the constantly disruptive work hours. There is often no steady work shift, regardless of position within the company.
benefits
Cons
irregular hours.
Friendly working environment
Customer Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Colleagues are pretty friendly. Training is helpful. Holiday season is pretty busy and sometimes you have to get up pretty early.
No extra curricular activities
Senior Manpower Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 24, 2012
Very busy day. Stress management. Prioritize. Problem solve. Management communication is limited. Co-workers are very unionized. Work longer than usual hours with no compensation. Hardest part of the job is problem solving pay queries and certain union issues. Most enjoyable part is getting a resolution to problems.
Pros
flight benefits and flexible work hours.
Cons
working long hours with no compensation.
very nice and energetic call centre
Instructeur (Current Employee) –  montreal quebecJanuary 5, 2013
I learned to work different departements , there is no typical day at work when working for a commuter airline .
I learned to train others, responsabilities for managerial tasks like evaluations and many more other tasks , received a certificat after taking a trainers coarse on creating and giving lesson plans .
The hardest part of the job was trying to give a coarse and the training environment works at only a percentage therefor it made it very difficult to give the corse when the material is not working .
Working with agents assisting them to find ways to hlp passengers stuck in cities due to cancelled flights and unable to find a way out. It is very gratifying to help people get where they need to be
Pros
insurance benefits health and travel
Cons
salary very low and even though i got hired as an instructor no pay raise
a good place to work overall. Most of co workers and passengers are great.
Flight Attendant/Service Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2012
A lot of safety related duties with great customer service.
I learned that it's not that hard to listen to peoples needs and meet those needs, or come close with a win win attitude and resolution.
Management is on the other side of the pole, but with 3700 flight attendants in Toronto alone, it's hard not to be just another number.
Co-workers are what makes the job fun.
Hardest part of the job, is being away so long. Sometimes 14-16 hour days. Getting proper rest while on the road.
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and working with new people and getting a chance to explore new cities and cultures while on layovers.
Pros
travel. free coffee, tea, juice and water :)
Cons
long days, and not very mentally stimulating.
Friendly hard working corporation
Operation Security Center (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 21, 2012
A typical day at work is a call center and we have other tasks to complete

I learned a lot from these place, mostly about security for our passengers traveling with us. I learned to multitask. I experienced to manage stressful situations and to be a leader by helping others because I'm the oldest in the sonority for the team of full time and night shifts.

Our management take care of us very well. Each of them give us respect and sign of appreciation of our work like every work environment should be.

My co-workers are like family, I treat them with respect and equality. We all share the same space and work that's why we all work hard to provide good service and complete ever task of the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the team,
having a team is one of the most important because we all work for the same company, we must have all the same goals, to complete our work in a good atmosphere helps.

The hardest part of job is the night shifts from 23-9.
Lazy, unproductive coworkers
Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  VancouverAugust 20, 2015
This job just wasn't for me, I need more human interaction. The job just really didn't have a future for me to continue with in the way I wanted my life to go.
Pros
lots of breaks, flight benefits
Cons
lack of work
High quality and profesionalism
Service Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 31, 2015
Great place to work. I had the best years of my life there. We were all a family, and at work we trusted each other because our lives depended of our team effort. The hardest part of the job were the long hours, sometimes 16 hours on flights to Japan, sometimes 20 hours waiting on turmags when there were winter storm or extreme weather conditions that forced the shut down of airports. An amazing experience that will stay in my heart for the rest of my life.
Pros
travelling around the world, choice and flexibility of shifts
about the role
Employee Communication Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2014
• Developing and executing communication initiatives to engage employees in the operations divisions.
• Providing communications counsel to management colleagues.
• Overseeing development, layout and maintenance of intranet content.
• Evaluating communication failures and developing/implementing solutions. Conducting quality assurance and surveys to measure effectiveness.
• Launching Air Canada’s enterprise social media network and driving community engagement.
• Benchmarking industry trends.
Pros
start up opportunity
Cons
no personal career growth
Poor workplace
Merchandising clerk (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCApril 28, 2015
Boring and repetitive work. No real opportunity in terms of advancement. The management disregards your concerns without providing for needs and avoids any further contact. A huge lack of empathy in regards to needs of employee.
Big and traditional company
Customer Service and Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 11, 2015
I love to have the experience of working at such a traditional Canadian company for summer time. It's been only good experiences so far.
Pros
flight benefits when effective employee
Cons
angry passengers and work on weekends and holidays
Not a great place to work if you are new to the industry
Airports Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
There is a lot of inherited knowledge at Jazz and if you haven't been in the industry before and you are new, from the bottom up, you are treated badly. The expectation of an employee is too much to handle for the rate of pay. Those who become managers after they have put in 25 years, are totally incapable of providing solid mentorship as they appear to have the mentality of a unionized employee. They have forgotten from where they came from.
Pros
always put safety first.
Cons
hire from within for management positions which limits the company culture to change.
Stable company
Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2015
Excellent working environment especially in Montreal, Stable Company and job Culture.
The salary is not high, but the company has very good benefits
A very... Interesting place to work
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2015
The people I met and had contact with while working at air canada were all very special people.. the work was tedious and annoying as welll as the management didnt seem to know what they were doing..
mis-managed
Lead Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2014
This is a job that is based solely on how long you have been there...Management is completely out to lunch (half of them are not even trained for the job they are trying to manage)..

Flight benefits? Don't even try to fly in the summer or during the holiday peak period unless you have a ton of seniority..Union and management do not get along, don't even know why there is a union, they really don't help with anything.

Pay is low for the work, and the pension is on the brink of collapse..
Fun place to work
CONCESSION ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
Arrive for shift and set up stand. Verify cash float and some food prep. Serve food and beverages to fans attending NHL and NBA games as well as some concerts.
Amazing group of co-workers and lots of opportunities to move around within the company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Late nights
Great Team and Work Environment
Cruise Support Agent (Current Employee) –  MontrealNovember 7, 2013
A typical day at work would include an 8 hour shift from 9am to 5pm. Every week my colleagues and myself in the cruise support department are on rotation with the tasks we must complete. Our tasks include (Quality Check on existing reservations, schedule changes & cruiseline modifications, handling internal and external emails, ticketing & creating online bookings. Every day I learn something new wether big or small. I have learned to perfect my customer services and how to surpass my clients expectations. At Air Canada Vacations higher management makes the effort to know each and every individual working for the company and always lets us know our value. My co-workers are exceptionnal individuals and we work very well together. The hardest part of the job is often having to relay negative news to a passengers including (flight cancellations or cruise line modifications) but we always management to make the end result positive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with incredible individuals and also seeing my clients happy.
Pros
great colleagues & vacation benefits
Cons
low salary