Air Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

mis-managed
Lead Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2014
This is a job that is based solely on how long you have been there...Management is completely out to lunch (half of them are not even trained for the job they are trying to manage)..

Flight benefits? Don't even try to fly in the summer or during the holiday peak period unless you have a ton of seniority..Union and management do not get along, don't even know why there is a union, they really don't help with anything.

Pay is low for the work, and the pension is on the brink of collapse..
Entry level underpaid position
Bilingual Customer Sales and Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 15, 2014
Unfortunately the company pays less than scale for this job. As the schedule is unknown until 2 weeks in advance the job work/life balance is nil. Job security is unclear as the expectations do not meet customer service expectations that I have been taught and chose to adhere to.

The co-workers I came into the company with have a strong work ethic however what we have noticed is that other coworkers (not all but some) have none and do not come close to meeting the customer service the company states it expects to provide to it's clients.

The hardest part of the job is the schedule, as we are open 24hours and the schedules you have to chose from are first come first serve we were left with either overnight schedules or relief schedules, the relief schedules are not confirmed until two weeks before the date which leads to no planning of any kind more than 2 weeks ahead.

The most enjoyable part is dealing with the clients; I enjoy providing the best service I am able to and love the challenge of the system used. A good portion of my co-workers are hardworking and great to learn from.
Pros
the clients
Cons
salary/benefits and job work/life balance
Stable company
Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2015
Excellent working environment especially in Montreal, Stable Company and job Culture.
The salary is not high, but the company has very good benefits
Challenges
CSSA / LEAD (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 23, 2014
I began there just before the Ice Storm of 99. Pilot's Strike ... Possible bankruptcy, Taking on another Airline ... change of CEO etc ... and I still loved my job from the first call to the last ... due to circumstances beyond my control I had to leave, but would go back in a heartbeat. I miss my co-workers, the customers and overall atmosphere.
Pros
co-workerks, health benefits, and ravel priveleges
Friendly working environment
Customer Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Colleagues are pretty friendly. Training is helpful. Holiday season is pretty busy and sometimes you have to get up pretty early.
Great Benefits, terrible scheduling.
CSM Manager (Former Employee) –  Pearson, ONSeptember 11, 2012
The work life at Air Canada has its ups and downs which are understandable, especially with the great fluctuations in operational demand. The management is good, but there are flaws that are completely ignored and unattended. The only big negative in regards to the work itself would be the constantly disruptive work hours. There is often no steady work shift, regardless of position within the company.
benefits
Cons
irregular hours.
Great Team and Work Environment
Cruise Support Agent (Current Employee) –  MontrealNovember 7, 2013
A typical day at work would include an 8 hour shift from 9am to 5pm. Every week my colleagues and myself in the cruise support department are on rotation with the tasks we must complete. Our tasks include (Quality Check on existing reservations, schedule changes & cruiseline modifications, handling internal and external emails, ticketing & creating online bookings. Every day I learn something new wether big or small. I have learned to perfect my customer services and how to surpass my clients expectations. At Air Canada Vacations higher management makes the effort to know each and every individual working for the company and always lets us know our value. My co-workers are exceptionnal individuals and we work very well together. The hardest part of the job is often having to relay negative news to a passengers including (flight cancellations or cruise line modifications) but we always management to make the end result positive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with incredible individuals and also seeing my clients happy.
Pros
great colleagues & vacation benefits
Cons
low salary
Great life style, lots of time off.... But no recognition
SERVICE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2014
As most of big companies, the benefits are great, medical, pension,etc... Beside that, this is a customer service job like any other, meaning customers are rarely greatful, management is useless and incentives non-existent. I worked with great employees, and the overall experience is good (not great); but the maturity stops at age 25.
The future for employees is not looking so good, Rouge is taking on more flying away from Air Canada (the so-called main line); which means less work for Air Canada employees. Some bases are seeing 20 years sitting on reserve (on call), and it will just get worth.
Do not believe what the news are saying, Air Canada is one of the best company to work for (2013); this is clearly based on the performance of the stock only. Also do not feel compassionate for managers or executive managers. Their goal is to squeeze as much as possible from the employees so they get bigger bonus.
Top Executives have seen unjustified increases in compensation in the last years, while employees are barely seeing pay increase at inflation rate.
This airline would be profitable if less management and smaller payouts. But this is not going to happen.
No extra curricular activities
Senior Manpower Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 24, 2012
Very busy day. Stress management. Prioritize. Problem solve. Management communication is limited. Co-workers are very unionized. Work longer than usual hours with no compensation. Hardest part of the job is problem solving pay queries and certain union issues. Most enjoyable part is getting a resolution to problems.
Pros
flight benefits and flexible work hours.
Cons
working long hours with no compensation.
Station Attendant position
Station Attendant-Ramp/Baggage (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2014
alot of chimerical control happened at air canada by that i mean that Air Canada kept a close watch on their employees. When i was working for air canada there was this issue where they fired a number of employees because they were fouling the name of the air canada brand on facebook.
Pros
travel benefits, health insurance for part-time after 6 months of probabtion
Cons
low wages
Fun place to work
CONCESSION ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
Arrive for shift and set up stand. Verify cash float and some food prep. Serve food and beverages to fans attending NHL and NBA games as well as some concerts.
Amazing group of co-workers and lots of opportunities to move around within the company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Late nights
Great experience
Flight attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2015
The job was amazing, great pay/ benefits, great coworkers, and just lots of fun.
The training to be a flight attendant is the hardest part, after that it gets easier.
Pros
travelling
Cons
never home
Don't waste your time here
Ramp (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 14, 2012
I worke for ac for 5 years. Corporate greed, favourtism, horrible management, employee abuse, salary below industry standard, working conditions destroy your body, hard workers get rewarded with more work while lazy workers are protected my management, and the union is bought out by ac. Unsafe vehicles and equipment,
Corporation filled with double standards, lies, and deceit.
Cons
you will find out once you work there

Comment – February 1, 2013

Team Lead after only 6 mths ready to leave...after my day is done,I get to take after hour calls 24/7 and no pay. Company is clicky and run like the mafia. After years of aviation work,this company is the bottom of the barrel. Labour Canada do your job!

Fun Workplace
BILINGUAL CUSTOMER SALES & SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLSeptember 6, 2015
With the shift i have from 3AM - 7AM its a pretty busy shift considering that we have 4 flights going out that time. I love my co-workers because they sweet and amazing. The hardest part of my job is when we have irregular operation such as cancellation of flights that leads to passengers who are freaking out and trying to get a flight as soon as possible. The job is not that so stressful and i enjoyed seeing different people with different nationalities.
Productive and inteteresting place to work
Aircraft Record Specialist - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Misissisauga, OnDecember 3, 2013
Air Georgian gave me the first Canadian working experience.
My work involves checking the paperwork for the daily mainetence done on aircrafts. Fixing any mistakes on system on day to day basis for smooth functioning. People around here are very good, helpful and freindly. I have learned more about the in and out of the planes. The most hard part of the job is getting the mechanics to do the paperwork correctly.
Pros
flight benefits
Good company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 4, 2015
Solid company with growth available. Long days and lots of travel with certain roles. Good perks with cheap travel although tough without proper seniority.
High quality and profesionalism
Service Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 31, 2015
Great place to work. I had the best years of my life there. We were all a family, and at work we trusted each other because our lives depended of our team effort. The hardest part of the job were the long hours, sometimes 16 hours on flights to Japan, sometimes 20 hours waiting on turmags when there were winter storm or extreme weather conditions that forced the shut down of airports. An amazing experience that will stay in my heart for the rest of my life.
Pros
travelling around the world, choice and flexibility of shifts
Cons
good
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2015
long hours availble if needed
far commute
good managment
can work independently if required
not boring
good co-workers
not stressful
Pros
avaible hours
Cons
commute
Iv'e worked in the airline business for almost 27 yrs, & would like to re-locate to YYZ
Crew Scheduling Superviser (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 2, 2013
A day @ JAZZ is a very fast pace, with over 800 FLTS/DAY
Dealing with crew/weather/mtc daily, makes it the day go by very fast. Shifts are 11hrs. Staff working here are very dedicated.
The hardest part is not having ample crew on reserve, & calling people on days off to come out to work..

The most enjoyable part, is working with the staff here.
Pros
travel benefits
Cons
no lunch breaks, you eat @ your desk.
Air Canada
B2B Customer Service and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 12, 2015
Air Canada was a great company, not celebrating #1 airline in North America for the five consecutive years. Extremely fun and friendly working environment where everyone treats you like a family. However, because it is an unionized environment with very high retention and years of service rate, not everyone is open to new innovation and challenges. Also, due to consistently changing working hours, it was really hard to have work and life balance. Being an individual who enjoys continues self- improvement and innovation, I decided to leave the company. However, overall it was an amazing working environment with such a big family.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
changing hours, and unionized environment, Low pay