Air Canada Employee Reviews

Call center reservation agent
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  montreal, quebec13 September 2015
- Provide information on places of destination, hotels, foreign exchange, schedules of flights, modes of transport, accommodation and costs of packages.
- Advising clients on the choice of trips, packages, products and services offered make transportation and accommodation reservations
- Confirm reservations promote packages and other services offered by the Agency
- Participate in the selection of products or travel services adapted to the needs of the customer
- Knowledge products Canada, United States and Caribbean zones.
Pros
perks and travel benefits
Cons
not flexible
Average employment
Crew Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 December 2016
Average employers, no complaints or positive feedback. Managers are average and treats employees with respect. Pay is average and work condition is acceptable.
great place to work
Aircraft Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC13 October 2016
Always had good days at work,learned alot about airline business
always eargered to learn new programs and job work. Always got work done on timely business day and guided costumers to its right direction
Pros
good enivorment to be
Cons
long hrs
Overall poor
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto2 April 2014
Pro: Gained worked experience, met some great people, some good deals if able to utilize them

Cons: Little to no growth opportunities, no recognition, no encouragement, company does not adapt, does not nurture talent or inspire loyalty, low salary, lots of office politics (backstabbing, lies, bias etc), overworked and worked additional hours without any recognition or pay, human resources slow to respond and are unhelpful - you need to followup at least three to four times before someone brushes you off even further, management often do not know the systems they are using, many managers are clearly not qualified for their positions, many policies lack thought and action, etc
Pros
Discounts on travel
Cons
Low salary
very nice and energetic call centre
Instructeur (Current Employee) –  montreal quebec5 January 2013
I learned to work different departements , there is no typical day at work when working for a commuter airline .
I learned to train others, responsabilities for managerial tasks like evaluations and many more other tasks , received a certificat after taking a trainers coarse on creating and giving lesson plans .
The hardest part of the job was trying to give a coarse and the training environment works at only a percentage therefor it made it very difficult to give the corse when the material is not working .
Working with agents assisting them to find ways to hlp passengers stuck in cities due to cancelled flights and unable to find a way out. It is very gratifying to help people get where they need to be
Pros
insurance benefits health and travel
Cons
salary very low and even though i got hired as an instructor no pay raise
Safety and performance
Lead, Operations (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 September 2016
Pros- Solid efforts by company to promote employees who want to grow. Training and resources were by far best I have seen in any work place. A lot of very caring staff and willing to spend the money on fleet improvements and safety.. the most impressive follow through on Aviation safety in NA imho.

Cons- some unresolved union items in my time, including a short funded pension.
Line maintenance
ame (Former Employee) –  vancouver, b.c.26 December 2014
Fun bunch of people to work with but the company seems to want to get rid of all high time high experience people and hire cheaper labor with little or no experience and have the maint control in Halifax tell them what and how to fix snags that will occur. most of these people have never seen the airplane and are managers with bottom lines and bonuses in mind and not AME`s or mechanics, which has soured the work environment to the point where the employees no longer care\
Pros
flight benefits
Cons
night shift, long hours, miserable employees, managers routinely lie to get themselves ahead, union will take your dues but will not stick up for anyone.p for
Great company to work for
Flight Attendant / Service Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON28 July 2016
The work as a flight attendant is very dynamic. The job can change on a dime and with that it can present challenges and opportunities. No day at work is the same as the previous day. One has to be very adaptable to cope with an ever changing environment.

It comes with many responsibilities, from safety of customers and peers to customer service. It is a fun and exciting job
Pros
Dynamic work environment
Cons
exposure to radiation and lack of oxygen at high altitudes
Miss managed and Corporate Greed with a powerless union
Stockkeeper (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC24 July 2012
Great family atmosphere with much comrade. Great benefits with great pension plan. Flight privileges was a fantastic perk. Great workman skills and pride to maintain high degree of standard towrds flight safety. But too much Greed at the top and abuse from disgruntled employees and powerless union. Too Bad I would love to be still working for the airline that represents this country however and somehow be part of it seeing better days.
Pros
people of diverse cultures getting along while getting the job done.
Cons
corporate greed, mismanagement, abuse of company priveleges
good work schedule
Crew Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 October 2016
work with pilots and flight attendents to make sure they were following their contract agreements. Handle any irregular operations that arise
Pros
cheap flights
Cons
very hectic place and unorganized
A company that does not value its employees
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia18 April 2015
At a time when an employee experiences a work-related issue that victimizes him/her, management provides little if any support. Such a situation is traumatic enough to an employee, but with hardly any display of fairness or impartiality provided by any level of management leaves the employee feeling alone and threatened and with a much lowered work ethic and dedication to the company. The company is rife with "the old boys network" syndrome.
Pros
good flight benefits, problem solving, dynamic
Cons
a threatening, harassing and bullying environment
Work to Rule
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2014
Air Canada Is a Union Based company, if you don't have thick skin it is definitely not for you. The pay structure is completely wrong. you will have people doing the exact same work beside each other and one will be getting payed 45 an Hr and the other 10 an Hr, they cannot keep the part time employees because it is to dangerous, I saw many part time people hurt and the workers compensation claims are out of this world. 30 to 40 people a day call in sick. So if you want help cause someone called in sick, forget it you can just work your but off. Benefits are like a con game they will dangle them in front of you to entice you to sign on, but you will never get to use them as you have to phone India as that is where the call center is if you want to use them, Take a number get in line.

Yes I think you get the Message, hopefully.
Pros
Pain, agony
Cons
its a rip off.
Crew Chief
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 September 2016
Managed 40+ employees in international baggage operations. Coordinated and distributed all international baggage worldwide destinations departing out of Vancouver international. Supervised and managed transboarder US destinations baggage systems.
Best time of my life
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2013
I joined just before the US Sept 11 attacks and even survived the scare of SARS and a salary cut due to being under bankruptcy protection as an airline. And still, I am proud and thankful to fly 12 yrs, have the chance to serve and meet people from all over the world was the best learning experience ever.
My co-workers were team members and fun. Working with ladies with over 40 yrs experience was a pleasure and a joy!
There is something about a flight attendant, I guess it's the itchy feet;)
I think my years as an In-charge were those of the most learning, and interpersonal growth. Where I got to lead a team and also learn to follow suit with the captain. I learned a lot working with different individuals all the time, I am very adaptable to different environments.
Pros
Great crews, representing canada
Cons
Overnights
Air Canada was a good company to work for and I'm grateful I was employed by them.
Customer Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 May 2013
I really enjoyed working at Air Canada. My goal was to service the passengers and meet their needs. I found the job very educational interacting with the public and to learn to communicate with people and to understand their needs. I had a good relationship with my co-workers and I enjoyed working along side them. We had fun at work, which helped when things got rough. The toughest part of the job was when the weather was bad and we had to rebook passengers on the next available flights. Sometimes this made the passengers upset and even demanding at times. Best part of the job was when we were able to meet a passenger needs and they were satisfied with the outcome.
Pros
Overtime pay. Great health benefits.
Cons
Shift work which included early morning start times.
Great job lots of career advancements avaible union job
Aircraft Maintenance M2 engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 March 2015
Great job but lots and lots of lay offs not permanent job
but great company to work for great benefits lots of travelling
I worked as aviation tech apprentice working on dash 8 aircrafts converting 100 series in to 300 series all of sudden one day while working we got laid off atleast 30 engineers plus apprentices if your there for longer then 6 months you have very minimum to worry about I wasn't so lucky!
Cons
management and maintenance team does not get along
Entry level underpaid position
Bilingual Customer Sales and Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 April 2014
Unfortunately the company pays less than scale for this job. As the schedule is unknown until 2 weeks in advance the job work/life balance is nil. Job security is unclear as the expectations do not meet customer service expectations that I have been taught and chose to adhere to.

The co-workers I came into the company with have a strong work ethic however what we have noticed is that other coworkers (not all but some) have none and do not come close to meeting the customer service the company states it expects to provide to it's clients.

The hardest part of the job is the schedule, as we are open 24hours and the schedules you have to chose from are first come first serve we were left with either overnight schedules or relief schedules, the relief schedules are not confirmed until two weeks before the date which leads to no planning of any kind more than 2 weeks ahead.

The most enjoyable part is dealing with the clients; I enjoy providing the best service I am able to and love the challenge of the system used. A good portion of my co-workers are hardworking and great to learn from.
Pros
The clients
Cons
salary/benefits and job work/life balance
Great Benefits, terrible scheduling.
CSM Manager (Former Employee) –  Pearson, ON11 September 2012
The work life at Air Canada has its ups and downs which are understandable, especially with the great fluctuations in operational demand. The management is good, but there are flaws that are completely ignored and unattended. The only big negative in regards to the work itself would be the constantly disruptive work hours. There is often no steady work shift, regardless of position within the company.
benefits
Cons
irregular hours.
Interesting
Bilingual Customer Sales and Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Paradise, NL27 May 2016
First job, enjoyed it very much. Opportunities to advance, base level entry career. Enjoyed management position immensely.
Great Team and Work Environment
Cruise Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Montreal7 November 2013
A typical day at work would include an 8 hour shift from 9am to 5pm. Every week my colleagues and myself in the cruise support department are on rotation with the tasks we must complete. Our tasks include (Quality Check on existing reservations, schedule changes & cruiseline modifications, handling internal and external emails, ticketing & creating online bookings. Every day I learn something new wether big or small. I have learned to perfect my customer services and how to surpass my clients expectations. At Air Canada Vacations higher management makes the effort to know each and every individual working for the company and always lets us know our value. My co-workers are exceptionnal individuals and we work very well together. The hardest part of the job is often having to relay negative news to a passengers including (flight cancellations or cruise line modifications) but we always management to make the end result positive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with incredible individuals and also seeing my clients happy.
Pros
great colleagues & vacation benefits
Cons
low salary