Air Canada

Air Canada Employee Reviews

Friendly hard working corporation
Operation Security Center (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 21, 2012
A typical day at work is to always put ourselves on ready for the next call to be pick-up for our agents at the airport to not wait for us, between calls and dead periods we have tasks to complete in Excel. We have special projects and other preparations depending what our we are doing.

I learned a lot from these place, mostly about security for our passengers traveling with us. I learned to multitask. I experienced to manage stressful situations and to be a leader by helping others because I'm the oldest in the sonority for the team of full time and night shifts.

Our management take care of us very well, we have 4 ladies working the Passenger Assessment team, which they provide us help when calls are waiting, we have 7 on-calls to manage decision during after hours, and we have 3 managers for our security. Each of them give us respect and sign of appreciation of our work like every work environment should be.

My co-workers are like family, I treat them with respect and equality. We all share the same space and work that's why we all work hard to provide good service and complete ever task of the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the team,
having a team is one of the most important because we all work for the same company, we must have all the same goals, to complete our work in a good atmosphere helps.

The hardest part of job is the night shifts from 23-9.
Excellent
Bilingual Customer Sales & Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Assisting passengers Check in at Kiosk with printing of Boarding Pass and Baggage tags. Standby for flights. Upgrade to preferred seating. Up-sell to Business Class. Paying excess Baggage Fees at Kiosk and upgrades.
Assisting Wheelchair passengers with Check in assistance and signing up for Wheelchair at SPAT Lobby.
Lobby assistance at Priority Check in Aisle One and Aisle 7.
Directing passengers arriving form Domestic or International to Transborder flights/gates.
Baggage Drop Check in and issuing tags for infant/Baby stroller and Gated or Standby Passengers.
Directing passengers to Ticket desk for miss-connections or who could have missed their flights for re-booking.to next available flights.
Informing passengers of Boarding times and Zonal Boarding at the gate.
Informing Lead or Managers when shortfall arises and need for extra staff.
Overall Experience - Very Good and looking forward to become a Full Time employee soon.
Check in Led, Managers on Duty and Manager Operations were very supportive during work or off work. Have full confidence and did get wonderful support from Check in staff or any AC staff whilst on duty..
Pros
work schedule met personal times
Cons
break hours were excellent.
Great life style, lots of time off.... But no recognition
SERVICE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2014
As most of big companies, the benefits are great, medical, pension,etc... Beside that, this is a customer service job like any other, meaning customers are rarely greatful, management is useless and incentives non-existent. I worked with great employees, and the overall experience is good (not great); but the maturity stops at age 25.
The future for employees is not looking so good, Rouge is taking on more flying away from Air Canada (the so-called main line); which means less work for Air Canada employees. Some bases are seeing 20 years sitting on reserve (on call), and it will just get worth.
Do not believe what the news are saying, Air Canada is one of the best company to work for (2013); this is clearly based on the performance of the stock only. Also do not feel compassionate for managers or executive managers. Their goal is to squeeze as much as possible from the employees so they get bigger bonus.
Top Executives have seen unjustified increases in compensation in the last years, while employees are barely seeing pay increase at inflation rate.
This airline would be profitable if less management and smaller payouts. But this is not going to happen.
Entry level underpaid position
Bilingual Customer Sales and Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 15, 2014
Unfortunately the company pays less than scale for this job. As the schedule is unknown until 2 weeks in advance the job work/life balance is nil. Job security is unclear as the expectations do not meet customer service expectations that I have been taught and chose to adhere to.

The co-workers I came into the company with have a strong work ethic however what we have noticed is that other coworkers (not all but some) have none and do not come close to meeting the customer service the company states it expects to provide to it's clients.

The hardest part of the job is the schedule, as we are open 24hours and the schedules you have to chose from are first come first serve we were left with either overnight schedules or relief schedules, the relief schedules are not confirmed until two weeks before the date which leads to no planning of any kind more than 2 weeks ahead.

The most enjoyable part is dealing with the clients; I enjoy providing the best service I am able to and love the challenge of the system used. A good portion of my co-workers are hardworking and great to learn from.
Pros
the clients
Cons
salary/benefits and job work/life balance
Great Team and Work Environment
Cruise Support Agent (Current Employee) –  MontrealNovember 7, 2013
A typical day at work would include an 8 hour shift from 9am to 5pm. Every week my colleagues and myself in the cruise support department are on rotation with the tasks we must complete. Our tasks include (Quality Check on existing reservations, schedule changes & cruiseline modifications, handling internal and external emails, ticketing & creating online bookings. Every day I learn something new wether big or small. I have learned to perfect my customer services and how to surpass my clients expectations. At Air Canada Vacations higher management makes the effort to know each and every individual working for the company and always lets us know our value. My co-workers are exceptionnal individuals and we work very well together. The hardest part of the job is often having to relay negative news to a passengers including (flight cancellations or cruise line modifications) but we always management to make the end result positive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with incredible individuals and also seeing my clients happy.
Pros
great colleagues & vacation benefits
Cons
low salary
A very vibrant work atmosphere, included on site banking, gym, and cafeteria.
Logistics support agent / storeman (Former Employee) –  Dorval Qc,November 13, 2013
A typical day at work would start by arriving early in order to have a chance to talk with the lead and coworkers in order to catch up on the latest developments from the previous shift. We learned that by helping each other and using the strengths specific to each person the tasks were completed quickly, efficiently and on time. The management relied on us to get the job done and were always there when we needed them. Each of us has their own personality but we can contribute something so that life is never boring. The hardest part of the job is to find out that even though we did our best and did the job right the client was not happy. ( A landing gear was damaged in transit back to the client. A team of mechanics was sent to correct the damage. Yet we lost the client. ) However the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you've done your best and the job is done right.
Pros
company bbq's, thanksgiving, christmas parties and job recognition get together's.
Cons
only one road in and out of the base road - a bit of a traffic jam.
Friendly hard working corporation
Operation Security Center (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 21, 2012
A typical day at work is a call center and we have other tasks to complete

Our management take care of us very well. Each of them give us respect and sign of appreciation of our work like every work environment should be.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the team,

The hardest part of job is the night shifts from 23-9.
Professional, safety oriented, reliable
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 23, 2013
I have held several positions within Air Canada and across the board, this is a company staffed by professionals who know the true meaning of teamwork...all that is required to bring an airplane full of people and products into a major station; park, offload, fuel, clean, cater, service, staff, sign off on cabin and flight deck logbooks, reload and dispatch. This is a group that goes the extra mile and more importantly knows when to pass the ball to the next key player.

I've learned that no matter where in the world you are, people want to be treated with respect. A little tolerance goes a very long way. Equally, humour (when and where appropriate) makes a long and sometimes difficult day much easier to deal with.

Air Canada afforded me a lifestyle as well as giving me a job.
Pros
reduced rate travel; ability to see the world one layover at a time
Cons
initially, extended periods of time away from home; however this greatly improved over time.
very nice and energetic call centre
Instructeur (Current Employee) –  montreal quebecJanuary 5, 2013
I learned to work different departements , there is no typical day at work when working for a commuter airline .
I learned to train others, responsabilities for managerial tasks like evaluations and many more other tasks , received a certificat after taking a trainers coarse on creating and giving lesson plans .
The hardest part of the job was trying to give a coarse and the training environment works at only a percentage therefor it made it very difficult to give the corse when the material is not working .
Working with agents assisting them to find ways to hlp passengers stuck in cities due to cancelled flights and unable to find a way out. It is very gratifying to help people get where they need to be
Pros
insurance benefits health and travel
Cons
salary very low and even though i got hired as an instructor no pay raise
Air Canada was a good company to work for and I'm grateful I was employed by them.
Customer Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 15, 2013
I really enjoyed working at Air Canada. My goal was to service the passengers and meet their needs. I found the job very educational interacting with the public and to learn to communicate with people and to understand their needs. I had a good relationship with my co-workers and I enjoyed working along side them. We had fun at work, which helped when things got rough. The toughest part of the job was when the weather was bad and we had to rebook passengers on the next available flights. Sometimes this made the passengers upset and even demanding at times. Best part of the job was when we were able to meet a passenger needs and they were satisfied with the outcome.
Pros
overtime pay. great health benefits.
Cons
shift work which included early morning start times.
great bunch of people to work with ..fantastic job
Customer Service Agent Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 13, 2013
Air Canada was great to work for..benefits were obvioulsy travel. i ended up my career with Air Canada in Calgary reservations where i had been for 7 years..a day at work was solving passengers flight details, booking new reservations, answer calls. i learned how to listen to people to see what they were asking you. i was not in management i preferred to be on the line. got along super with my co workers...one f my references was my manager. the hardest part of my job was not to be bale to solve my customers problem. the most enjoyable part of my job was the knowing i had done my best with every single customer. no tall were solved, but the ones i solved i knew they appreciated what i had done for them.
Pros
flying at a discount shift work
Cons
some days were long flight delays poor weather
Work to Rule
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 2, 2014
Air Canada Is a Union Based company, if you don't have thick skin it is definitely not for you. The pay structure is completely wrong. you will have people doing the exact same work beside each other and one will be getting payed 45 an Hr and the other 10 an Hr, they cannot keep the part time employees because it is to dangerous, I saw many part time people hurt and the workers compensation claims are out of this world. 30 to 40 people a day call in sick. So if you want help cause someone called in sick, forget it you can just work your but off. Benefits are like a con game they will dangle them in front of you to entice you to sign on, but you will never get to use them as you have to phone India as that is where the call center is if you want to use them, Take a number get in line.

Yes I think you get the Message, hopefully.
Pros
pain, agony
Cons
its a rip off.
Best time of my life
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 12, 2013
I joined just before the US Sept 11 attacks and even survived the scare of SARS and a salary cut due to being under bankruptcy protection as an airline. And still, I am proud and thankful to fly 12 yrs, have the chance to serve and meet people from all over the world was the best learning experience ever.
My co-workers were team members and fun. Working with ladies with over 40 yrs experience was a pleasure and a joy!
There is something about a flight attendant, I guess it's the itchy feet;)
I think my years as an In-charge were those of the most learning, and interpersonal growth. Where I got to lead a team and also learn to follow suit with the captain. I learned a lot working with different individuals all the time, I am very adaptable to different environments.
Pros
great crews, representing canada
Cons
overnights
a good place to work overall. Most of co workers and passengers are great.
Flight Attendant/Service Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2012
A lot of safety related duties with great customer service.
I learned that it's not that hard to listen to peoples needs and meet those needs, or come close with a win win attitude and resolution.
Management is on the other side of the pole, but with 3700 flight attendants in Toronto alone, it's hard not to be just another number.
Co-workers are what makes the job fun.
Hardest part of the job, is being away so long. Sometimes 14-16 hour days. Getting proper rest while on the road.
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and working with new people and getting a chance to explore new cities and cultures while on layovers.
Pros
travel. free coffee, tea, juice and water :)
Cons
long days, and not very mentally stimulating.
Air Canada
B2B Customer Service and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 12, 2015
Air Canada was a great company, not celebrating #1 airline in North America for the five consecutive years. Extremely fun and friendly working environment where everyone treats you like a family. However, because it is an unionized environment with very high retention and years of service rate, not everyone is open to new innovation and challenges. Also, due to consistently changing working hours, it was really hard to have work and life balance. Being an individual who enjoys continues self- improvement and innovation, I decided to leave the company. However, overall it was an amazing working environment with such a big family.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
changing hours, and unionized environment, Low pay
Great work enviroment,good salary and benifits,great co workers
Customer Sales Lead Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Stanfield Int,l AirportMarch 3, 2013
I would start my day at 2:10 in a.m., at work at 3;15 open the office at 3;30 and commence duties at 3:30. Greet staff and arrange their duties for the day. Deal with approximately 3,000 passengers per day. At 9;30a.m. I would attend the morning operational meeting to discuss the days events, staffing requirements and any other irregular operations.
Throughout the day, I would oversee the operations and primarily handle any disgruntle passengers and staff.
The day would end 12 hours or so later, pending on operational requirements.
Pros
having the opportunity to meet and work with alot of great people.
Cons
sometimes having to make unpopular decision with regard to staff and passengers.
Great Place to Work
Station Attendant/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 1, 2014
My responsibilities were:
 Supervision of 10-15 warehouse staff
 Operation of electrical, gas and diesel forklift and pallet jacks
 Operation of other related equipment for loading/unloading of trucks and aircraft
 Adherence to strict safety procedures and practices; conducting frequent checks in internal and external areas
 Reporting and correcting deficiencies to ensure the protection, security, ease, and
expediency of staff and customers
 Maintaining records of service stoppage, reporting a range of incidents and tool
failures
 Creating bills of lading
 Daily use of scanners to process cargo
 Responsible for processing and auditing shipping and receiving of cargo
Overall poor
Marketing (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 2, 2014
Pro: Gained worked experience, met some great people, some good deals if able to utilize them

Cons: Little to no growth opportunities, no recognition, no encouragement, company does not adapt, does not nurture talent or inspire loyalty, low salary, lots of office politics (backstabbing, lies, bias etc), overworked and worked additional hours without any recognition or pay, human resources slow to respond and are unhelpful - you need to followup at least three to four times before someone brushes you off even further, management often do not know the systems they are using, many managers are clearly not qualified for their positions, many policies lack thought and action, etc
Pros
discounts on travel
Cons
low salary
Delays can cause stress. Working the holidays is not always nice.
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 1, 2012
-Unpradictable.(wich is expected in this business).

-How to work under pressure and operate machinery in a timley manner, to insure the saftey of passangers and crews. And the people who you could depend on.

-Most managers were self serving. The good managers were let go by upper management, who where even more self indulgent.

-I worked with a lot of hard working, loyal, dedicated people. Unfortunatly there where alot of oppurtunists.

-Enduring the elements. We get used to it, but we never get used to dangers involved, especially when you a loose a co worker.

-Being able to travel..When you can..
Pros
discount fares
Cons
flying stand-by
Work was very enjoyable and senior management was not employee oriented.
Station Attendant - Air Side (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 16, 2015
The work that I did with AC was exciting, satisfying and very interesting. The unfortunate downside was that senior management at AC considered the employees to be more of a liability than an asset and was constantly finding fault with even the most minor things and rarely gave credit for a job well done. My immediate supervisors (I worked on a number of different ramp teams due to the shift work) were just the opposite. They were helpful, encouraging, informative and extremely supportive.The dichotomy was unfortunate.
Pros
Free flights
Cons
Long hours and harsh working conditions in the winter