AIL Canada Employee Reviews

Not the best place to work
Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2017
Lack of direction, leadership or mentorship. Also no job security and little to no training. Everyone is accepted to the positions which indiciates a lot of turnover is expected.
Great place to start your sales career
Life Insurance Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 September 2017
A great place to begin your life insurance sales career. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Make friends and long lasting relationships. A great employer for new sales people.
Pros
Great pay
Work with Unlimited Potential
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Meyerside Drive, mississauga28 July 2017
So if you want to manage your own time and have a work life balance this is the best place to do that. You gets hands on training never left on your own always with a manger to help you with every step of the way. Yes it is a performance based salary but any place where you have Unlimited income is always based on what you put into it is the income you will get out of it. Anyone who is looking to make Unlimited money and likes to spend time with family whenever they want and is looking to advance their career into a management capacity based on performance should work here.
Pros
Work my own schedule
Cons
Selected for hire but declined the offer
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
AIL is a daughter company of TorchMark. They were attempting to hire people of any educational background to become insurance salesman "consultants". They sat you in a 30 minute sales pitch during a group interview and then tried to hype up the amount of money you could make.

First of all, the HR Manager Yasmin was completely incompetent and would tell you that you would need your LLQP license but the company would cover 50% of the costs. The cost of the LLQP course and exam is $950 and she stated you would have to pay $350. That is not half. Once asked if she knew what LLQP stood for she had no idea.

Secondly, AIL did not inform the potential incumbents that there are also other costs such as the Exam itself which would cost you another $108 out of your pocket. On top of that YOU would have to pay for your own course to learn and study for the LLQP which is another several hundred if not thousand dollars out of your pocket.

Thirdly, when asked about these particular issues she promptly stated "Were you not here for the interview?" in the rudest tone and condescension. In the group interview the Director of Recruitment was providing the sales pitch and only stated you will become a union member. For those who are unfamiliar with how most unions work - they just assumed all incumbents would know that you would be covered with "benefits". But little do they know it will most likely be the bare minimum of benefits.

Overall, the experience was unprofessional, the staff were incompetent and rude. The fact that they treat potential employees like trash automatically
  more... points to a mistreatment of staff upon hiring. Don't work for this company.  less
Pros
n/a
Cons
Rude and incompetent hiring staff, withholding pertinent information about costs for the potential incumbent
Applied but didn't get the job, interesting culture and office
Entry Level Managemement (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 May 2017
I applied to a job post for entry level management. I specifically applied because I do not have too much management experience so I wanted to get my foot in the door at entry level. Most places didn't respond to my resume so I was actully pretty glad I got a call back.

First, a phone interview, then second was a personal interview. The second interview was a bit more laid back than the first phone interview. I passed the personal interview, and actually made it through the group. Initially I didn't know too much about the role, but I applied anyways because the job post stated they provided benefits and I didn't have to work weekends.

The group interview was very interesting. I had come in thinking it was a just an office position where I assisted in paperwork or some admin stuff but it turns out it was something different that I had never gotten into before or even had a clue about.

They told me after the group interview that they would let me know if I got the job or not. Unfortunately I didn't receive a call or email.
Pros
Benefits, No weekends, Good location
Cons
Didn't get the job
not for everyone
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver12 April 2017
The job was advertised as sales management executive. You have to have or obtain an insurance license.

You receive warm leads from various unions. You call them and set up a meeting to do a presentation with the intention for them to buy permanent insurance.
Pros
income potential is good
Cons
The leads are not great. The people that really need it, can't really always afford it. High pressure to make sales targets
Challenge
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2017
did not receive proper training from management. management is more interested in $ than employees. work is stricly on commission. you receive charge backs on your sales.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Charge backs
wait long time to make money
life agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 December 2016
calling customers for appointments and meet them to sell them insurance
learn to expect anything
managers are not professional
co-workers are nice
hardest part of the job to take appointment with people
most enjoyable when you sell a policy
Worst place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
Easy to get hired they tell you a lot of lies to make you attracted to the job it's a complete waste of time and you don't get a dime they make you sit long hours making phone calls to people to try to book appointments and completely commissioned based which means no money when you don't make a sale.I would advice anyone not to take the job no matter how desperate you are
Pros
Cons
Lie a lot and unrealistic
Not good place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 November 2016
I would not recommend this as a good place to work. Training does not give realistic expectations of what working in the field will truly be like.
Only concern the management has is money
Cons
Pressures old people to give money they dont have
Misleading
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
They sell a good game to get you in the door but turnover is extremely high because of little training and false information. Huge claw backs on commissions. Would never recommend this job to anyone no matter how desperate you are to work. You'll spend more than you make
Pros
Easy to be hired
Cons
Misleading
na
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2016
I am still new to the company and am yet to see its potential. It is hard to sell insurance because it is not a tangible product.
Life Insurance
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 March 2016
It was an interesting experience, I learned a lot, but do to financial instability I was unable to continue in their employment.
Fun but management could use some improvments
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
I loved working here. Excellent work environment. I enjoyed being able to travel a bit for my job and be responsible for my own work schedule.
Highly motivated work place
Financial Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 October 2015
They give you 25 leads per week and you build your own prospects through the presentation they teach you. The management are good. However it is 100% commissioned work. It's hard to balance work life and personal life in the beginning. They will soon be incorporating a call centre to handle booking your appointments. After which the job will be much easier as that can take up a fair bit of time.
Pros
If you're a really good sales person, you will get huge paychecks.
Cons
100% commissioned work, you never know when you are going to get paid
Enjoyable Environment, Paid Weekly
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 July 2015
Typical day involves handling customer insurance claims
Reporting and submission of claims to Head Office
Computer Troubleshooting and Office maintenance
Learned about the insurance industry
Co-workers were fun and easy to get along with
Hardest part of the job was having to explain to customers/clients why their claim was denied
Best part of the job was the ability to maintain the entire office personally and giving customers/clients good news regarding their insurance claims
Pros
Free reign of the office, time off when needed
Cons
Having to explain insurance claims denials
Best job I've ever had!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 July 2015
With AIL, I have the freedom to make my own schedule and control my income on a weekly basis. We have full unionized benefits, the option to take vacation whenever we want, the opportunity to travel for work if we want, the opportunity to choose who we work with; total freedom!
I've never before been part of such a supportive environment with so much freedom involved; to work when and how I want to has never been an option for me in the past.
The opportunity for advancement here is incredible as well; promotions are all based on results rather than seniority or who likes you.
I was skeptical at first of the opportunity; it sounded too good to be true. The income potential I was told of sounded crazy, but now I'm seeing it first-hand for myself. Everyone at the Ottawa office is so happy and upbeat; we go out together often and go on fun road trips together to see clients from out of town. They're more than just coworkers; they're my family.
I've read a lot of terrible reviews from those who didn't find success in this business. I guess not everyone is capable of managing their time accordingly and being productive while unsupervised, however, I don't find it's an issue for me. I love what I do and it doesn't even feel like work. It feels like helping people and essentially saving them from the hardship the future can bring.
I'll never go back to punching a clock again. It's a waste of my potential and there's no freedom in that sort of job. I'm going to keep on getting paid for the worth I bring to my hour, and not just for the hour itself.
Pros
Financial stability, freedom to create own schedule, freedom to bring friends to the team
Cons
Helping clients through tough times can be emotionally exhausting, but definitely worth it
It sounds cliche but it really is a life changing opportunity!
Entry Level Management (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 June 2015
I am so glad that I took the chance and went to my interview with AIL Canada in Ottawa. I was a recent University grad looking for a real career and AIL Canada changed my life!
If I can give you any advice it would be to atleast go to the interview. You have nothing to lose by coming in to see what it's all about, so why miss out on a potentially amazing opportunity?
You should love what you do and working with AIL Canada has been the best job I've ever had!
There is no door to door or cold calling ever required for this job and the Benefits are AMAZING!
Pros
Advancement From Within, Great Management, Professional Environment
Cons
n/a
Hard Work, Great Money
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Ottaw, ON13 February 2015
Worked at AIL Canada for a couple years now. My average earnings, each month, is more than I would have expected at my age. I'm in my early 20s and feel comfortable buying a house and starting my family. I work equally as hard as to my earning, but it simply my work ethic.
could be better
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  May, ON11 December 2014
Very petite fogging work place, everything say in the interviews and when you are hire is not what happens while your on the job. Lack of communication by everyone