AIL Canada Employee Reviews

not too bad at all
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
So once you get the course and get your license,you are given scripts to read and learn then you go out with one of the senior staff and they get you "coded"so you can start making phone calls and get out there and making business.The only problem is some of their leads are 10 years old and when you speak to clients,they inform you that the person is dead
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Proceed at your own risk
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2018
In a nut shell this is a numbers game, leads are generated by a marketing company owned by the same person who heads the agency,Who in turn gets paid by AIL insurance.Regardless of results.Newbies are given recycled leads.
Candidates are hired indiscriminately regardless of their potential or experience ,once they become licensed and are trained they are sent out in the field under the wings of inexperienced pathetic managers who sadly are clutching at straws, or have been with the company long enough to have a portfolio of clients of which generates steady sales so you are left to your own demise.
You will get awesome motivational talks by the Agency leader.
I kid you not AWSOME!! motivation, as far as support well that is another matter.
Incredible opportunity
Insurance Sales Representative, Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 December 2017
AIL is a life insurance company, and it's sales. Of course you get charge backs if you sell bad business, but that's because they pay you up front as if the client had already payed a year. That's how it works in any sales company, but what sets AIL apart is the opportunity for growth and the training. They also provide you with people to see meaning you don't have to go sell your friends and family.
You get one on one time with managers throughout the training process, they show you how to work and help you stay accountable to yourself. At the end of the day, the managers here do not need their trainees to make money because they make enough to support themselves. That means that it's on you to take this seriously and show them you're worth investing in. If you give them the time and a positive attitude, they will take you from 0 experience in sales to an effective agent in a matter of months.
You can also train and recruit people under yourself, meaning that you can work with your friends and not just sell them. There is nobody above you stopping you from getting promoted, promotion is based on defined results. The top guy in our company started off in the same place we all did.
The best part about working here is the renewals, which means that you can make money for the rest of your life off of work you did previously. Every year you stay, your base line income increases exponentially as you get better at your job and renewals accumulate.
If you can work, stay positive, and want to learn then this job offers the most exciting opportunity for financial gain.
Pros
Leads given, Training provided, Performance based, Make your own hours, Build your own team
Cons
Sales Job, Simple but not easy, Not for everyone
Not the best place to work
Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2017
Lack of direction, leadership or mentorship. Also no job security and little to no training. Everyone is accepted to the positions which indiciates a lot of turnover is expected.
Great place to start your sales career
Life Insurance Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 September 2017
A great place to begin your life insurance sales career. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Make friends and long lasting relationships. A great employer for new sales people.
Pros
Great pay
Work with Unlimited Potential
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Meyerside Drive, mississauga28 July 2017
So if you want to manage your own time and have a work life balance this is the best place to do that. You gets hands on training never left on your own always with a manger to help you with every step of the way. Yes it is a performance based salary but any place where you have Unlimited income is always based on what you put into it is the income you will get out of it. Anyone who is looking to make Unlimited money and likes to spend time with family whenever they want and is looking to advance their career into a management capacity based on performance should work here.
Pros
Work my own schedule
Cons
Selected for hire but declined the offer
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
AIL is a daughter company of TorchMark. They were attempting to hire people of any educational background to become insurance salesman "consultants". They sat you in a 30 minute sales pitch during a group interview and then tried to hype up the amount of money you could make.

First of all, the HR Manager Yasmin was completely incompetent and would tell you that you would need your LLQP license but the company would cover 50% of the costs. The cost of the LLQP course and exam is $950 and she stated you would have to pay $350. That is not half. Once asked if she knew what LLQP stood for she had no idea.

Secondly, AIL did not inform the potential incumbents that there are also other costs such as the Exam itself which would cost you another $108 out of your pocket. On top of that YOU would have to pay for your own course to learn and study for the LLQP which is another several hundred if not thousand dollars out of your pocket.

Thirdly, when asked about these particular issues she promptly stated "Were you not here for the interview?" in the rudest tone and condescension. In the group interview the Director of Recruitment was providing the sales pitch and only stated you will become a union member. For those who are unfamiliar with how most unions work - they just assumed all incumbents would know that you would be covered with "benefits". But little do they know it will most likely be the bare minimum of benefits.

Overall, the experience was unprofessional, the staff were incompetent and rude. The fact that they treat potential employees like trash automatically
  more... points to a mistreatment of staff upon hiring. Don't work for this company.  less
Pros
n/a
Cons
Rude and incompetent hiring staff, withholding pertinent information about costs for the potential incumbent
good place to work
Career Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
no timings, only commission. u can schedule your work. good potential to earn money. leads will be given we have to follow up the leads for conversion
Applied but didn't get the job, interesting culture and office
Entry Level Managemement (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 May 2017
I applied to a job post for entry level management. I specifically applied because I do not have too much management experience so I wanted to get my foot in the door at entry level. Most places didn't respond to my resume so I was actully pretty glad I got a call back.

First, a phone interview, then second was a personal interview. The second interview was a bit more laid back than the first phone interview. I passed the personal interview, and actually made it through the group. Initially I didn't know too much about the role, but I applied anyways because the job post stated they provided benefits and I didn't have to work weekends.

The group interview was very interesting. I had come in thinking it was a just an office position where I assisted in paperwork or some admin stuff but it turns out it was something different that I had never gotten into before or even had a clue about.

They told me after the group interview that they would let me know if I got the job or not. Unfortunately I didn't receive a call or email.
Pros
Benefits, No weekends, Good location
Cons
Didn't get the job
not for everyone
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver12 April 2017
The job was advertised as sales management executive. You have to have or obtain an insurance license.

You receive warm leads from various unions. You call them and set up a meeting to do a presentation with the intention for them to buy permanent insurance.
Pros
income potential is good
Cons
The leads are not great. The people that really need it, can't really always afford it. High pressure to make sales targets
Challenge
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2017
did not receive proper training from management. management is more interested in $ than employees. work is stricly on commission. you receive charge backs on your sales.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Charge backs
wait long time to make money
life agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 December 2016
calling customers for appointments and meet them to sell them insurance
learn to expect anything
managers are not professional
co-workers are nice
hardest part of the job to take appointment with people
most enjoyable when you sell a policy
Worst place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
Easy to get hired they tell you a lot of lies to make you attracted to the job it's a complete waste of time and you don't get a dime they make you sit long hours making phone calls to people to try to book appointments and completely commissioned based which means no money when you don't make a sale.I would advice anyone not to take the job no matter how desperate you are
Pros
Cons
Lie a lot and unrealistic
Not good place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 November 2016
I would not recommend this as a good place to work. Training does not give realistic expectations of what working in the field will truly be like.
Only concern the management has is money
Cons
Pressures old people to give money they dont have
Misleading
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
They sell a good game to get you in the door but turnover is extremely high because of little training and false information. Huge claw backs on commissions. Would never recommend this job to anyone no matter how desperate you are to work. You'll spend more than you make
Pros
Easy to be hired
Cons
Misleading
na
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2016
I am still new to the company and am yet to see its potential. It is hard to sell insurance because it is not a tangible product.
Life Insurance
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 March 2016
It was an interesting experience, I learned a lot, but do to financial instability I was unable to continue in their employment.
Fun but management could use some improvments
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
I loved working here. Excellent work environment. I enjoyed being able to travel a bit for my job and be responsible for my own work schedule.
Highly motivated work place
Financial Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 October 2015
They give you 25 leads per week and you build your own prospects through the presentation they teach you. The management are good. However it is 100% commissioned work. It's hard to balance work life and personal life in the beginning. They will soon be incorporating a call centre to handle booking your appointments. After which the job will be much easier as that can take up a fair bit of time.
Pros
If you're a really good sales person, you will get huge paychecks.
Cons
100% commissioned work, you never know when you are going to get paid
Enjoyable Environment, Paid Weekly
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 July 2015
Typical day involves handling customer insurance claims
Reporting and submission of claims to Head Office
Computer Troubleshooting and Office maintenance
Learned about the insurance industry
Co-workers were fun and easy to get along with
Hardest part of the job was having to explain to customers/clients why their claim was denied
Best part of the job was the ability to maintain the entire office personally and giving customers/clients good news regarding their insurance claims
Pros
Free reign of the office, time off when needed
Cons
Having to explain insurance claims denials