Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great environment
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2016
I enjoy my job very much!
The people are great the work is fast paced. Its a very driven role where you must learn to multi task and work under pressure at times.
Great Place to Gain Experience
Travel Arranger/Admin (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 7, 2015
Pros: stable, set schedule, good pay
Cons: location, lack of public postings
I have worked off and on here for numerous years. It has always been an amazing learning experience, and although I haven't gotten a permanent job as it is difficult to obtain it is always a great place to gain skills.
productive place
mail clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 27, 2015
Pros: work inside
Cons: really mondain job
good job security
Monday to Friday
good pension plan
good place for advancement
up to 6 weeks holiday
there is a lot to learn in a days work
Productive and relax working environment
Research Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 24, 2015
The big plan was assigned at the beginning of each fiscal year, so everybody knows what to do in the coming year.
I learned how to communicate with other person better due to my job requires a lot of cooperation。
The co-workers here are kind, so the working environment is quite comfrotable.
I reported directly to the Chairman. I had control of all operational, budget and database issues.
Acting Registrar (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: Very busy. Learnt new acts and regulations, dealt with customers across Canada.
Very interesting work. Learnt a lot.
Made travel arrangements, schedule.
Updated database as needed.
Wrote operational procedures.
Participated in HR interviews for Agriculture Canada.
Hired personnel.
Interpreted acts and regulations.
Prepared decisions and typed up reasons.
Created a dictionnary of terms for the tribunal.
Fast paced and challenging
User Support Analyst / Systems Tester (Current Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaSeptember 29, 2015
Enjoyable for the most part, challenging, constantly changing priorities so flexibility, adaptability, tact and judgement is key.
Good
Administrative Assistant (AS-1) (Former Employee), Ottawa ONJune 11, 2014
Scheduled appointments/meetings for Assistant Deputy Minister
Developed, implemented, maintained effective hard copy and electronic tracking/filing system
Proofread and formatted letters and memoranda addressed to senior management
Scheduled domestic and/or international travel and hotel arrangements
Created travel itineraries, travel claims and related information for Assistant Deputy Minister
Ordered and maintained office supplies
Sent faxes using secure and/or regular fax machine
Sent packages via courier and/or diplomatic mail
Enjoyable friendly atmosphere
Assist producers (Former Employee), Regina, saskMay 23, 2013
Pros: good friends
Cons: downtown parking
Typical day at work was providing customer service on national toll free telephone for federal agriculture programs.
Learned to provide accurate, consistent and up to date information
The hardest part of the job was dealing with sensitive and problem cases
Co-workers were always willing to answer questions and work as a team.
Meeting deadlines and socializing with co-workers
Management always provided informative weeklly meetings
Contract work
Java Web Application Developer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 3, 2015
• Performed web browser based application testing, bug fixes and development using Java EE, and the Spring and Hibernate web framework within the MyEclipse IDE.
• Organized project schedule using GANTT charts and discussed progress through frequent meetings
Wide array of tasks and potential careers paths available, but limited space on team
Geomatics Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 5, 2014
Performed a variety of tasks related to the annual Canadian crop inventory map; image rectification, cloud masking, image stacking. Field work also included the instillation of monitoring stations and verification of test sites for satellite images

The team serves as the primary G.I.S. and Remote sensing location for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada thus the employees work on a wide variety of tasks
Fun workplace and lots of resources to complete tasks
Finance Technician (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 28, 2014
Pros: easy to get into routine
Cons: difficult to complete a few of the tasks
My co-workers were very friendly people, willing to answer whatever questions I had while working there. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with all of the necessary workers in Finance to complete payment files. My bosses were always friendly to me and made sure I received good training before I started. I learned that it is never a bad thing to ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
Energetic people who really care about what they do
Coordinator, Rural and Cooperatives Secretariat (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioApril 22, 2013
May people at AAFC are "lifers" and over the span of a 21 year career I realized that for many, once they joined they never left.

I found that the vast majority of people cared deeply and personally about the issues they worked on. For them, it was a way of life and much more than just a job.
cheerful and productive work place
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2012
I learned a lot from my co-workers and supervisor sine they are very eager to help me learn the things I needed to learn. It's really quiet in the building because everyone is doing what they have to do but I love that we have free food or cheap lunches. My co-workers and supervisor are very kind, accommodating and respectable. They are always there to support me at any cost. The hardest part of the job is waking up early which is very typical to those who are not morning people. On the most part, I enjoy working in a laboratory setting.
Best. Job. Ever.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Summerland, BCOctober 16, 2013
Pros: great people, beautiful geographically, welcoming workplace
Cons: a small pool of conflicting resources influenced inter-departmental atmospheres
My work involved traversing the Okanagan Basin via government vehicle in order to collect samples, make measurements, take observations and download climate data. Work was performed largely outdoors which was beneficial as the valley truly is geographically breath taking. Other tasks involved research and data analysis using computers, and aiding in fruit harvest associated duties.
Very enjoyable work environment with great co-workers
FACILITIES MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT/GROUNDSKEEPER (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: monday to friday
A day at work could be very diverse from one day to the next. Co-workers were great and I learned a lot from them. Best part of the job was having a different task each day. The hardest part of the job was working in greenhouses in the hot Summer sun.
Awesome place to work
Research Affiliate (Former Employee), Swift Current, SKMay 12, 2012
Its was my privilege to work with this company....it is Canadian Federal Department of agriculture
A great place to work with professional and friendly staff.
Senior Communications Advisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Working for the AAFC was one of my best professional experiences. I felt accomplished, accepted and valued for my education and work habits.
Learned greenhouse IPM
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee), Harrow, ONJuly 22, 2014
It was great environment for learning and prove yourself. I enjoyed my work at research station.
a learning experience
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2014
I learned about agriculture insurance and its products. I did a forecasting project on potato yield.
Great
Greenhouse Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Harrow, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: work conditions
New and different experience from the various manual labour jobs I had in the past. This job required more than just labour required paper work and data entry and analysis.