Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Employee Reviews

Good job culture
Master's Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 September 2017
Good place to work, comes with the advantages and disadvantages of working for government. Good salary and benefits. Was an intern there doing research so my experience was very different then other full time employees.
Productive and friendly workplace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 August 2017
During my contract time period, I enjoy working in AAFC where I have met many excellent colleagues. The supervisors also provide valuable guidance and suggestions for my research project. That is the reason for me to be productive here.
Incredible Working and Learning experience
Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 August 2017
I have had the best experience here at AAFC. The learning experience is amazing and I would recommend anyone to get themselves to a point where they can experience what I have the privilege of being a part of here.
Cons
limited contract
Very interest
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB13 August 2017
The work at the research centre is very interesting and fun, though it can get repetitive I did learn a lot and everyone was very easy to get along with.
Great workplace environment, like to hire students after graduation
Laboratory Assistant - Bacteria Pathology (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS13 August 2017
I enjoyed my time there as a co-op student. I learned so much and the staff were really great and patient and provided a great work atmosphere there. I've also learned they like to hire co-op students after they graduate.
Productive and a great opportunity to further enhance skills
Market Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2017
Working for the federal government has been an incredible experience, as I have learned to use statistical methods to publish a report, and on a day to day routine, I would update data on prices of food commodities in the market on the system's database. The workplace culture was extremely diverse and accepting of everyone! The workplace always had something for me to do for them, which involved various tasks. I really enjoyed the various tasks they had given me, it allowed me to be more productive and get tasks done before the deadlines.
Pros
Amazing career advices
Cons
no cons at all.
Productive workplace and friendly employees
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 June 2017
I was a lab assistant for one of their research scientists. Everyone was friendly and professional. The work hours were not too long, making it a low stress environment.
Productive, active and fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 June 2017
It was a nice and fun workplace for people . It was a good chance to improve practical knowledge and experience. Working with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada extensively improved my communication, data management and statistical analysis skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with huge data that surprising results could be generated from them.
Good and friendly place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2017
I am very happy with the co-workers. They are friendly and everyone works hard. I have obtained great experiences and hope this would be a good beginning for having a permanent job in the field of Biotechnology in future. Food is important and having good and healthy food is our goal for future Canadian, when the natural resources may limit. I am looking forward to find a new position in this department.
Nice People, Interesting Work
GIS Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
The workplace is incredibly friendly, everyone is happy and willing to pass down years of knowledge and experience with new and student employees. I would be happy to return back to work with this group.
Government envitronment
GIS programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 April 2017
A very secure job if you have a per ornament position.
Self-paced working schedule and time management. Government workplace culture. Legacy technology.
Quality Experience with good pay, but some hiccups
Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 April 2017
The pay was very competitive. We had lots of free lunches. Very good experience. Pay centre was atrocious, didn't get paid sometimes. Admin staff rude
Pros
Competitive Pay. Great Experience. Lots of Free lunches
Cons
Bureaucracy was slow. Admin staff were rude
Federal Government
Exp Farm Intergrated Growth Facilities Tech (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2017
After working over 15 yrs for the federal government, I have been through so many ups and downs. Seen so many changes. Worked along side or under so many great and not so great people, and gained so much knowledge thus far.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no comment
Relaxed, and productive work environment
Laboratory Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Harrow, ON8 February 2017
It was easy to get into a workflow. The culture was very inclusive. It was in a very small town, a more populated area would have been nice. There were significant issues with compensation, but in the end they were resolved.
Typical day
Junior Sorghum and Pearl Millet Breeder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2017
Access to work is easy by bus, regular 37.5 hour work week unless there are matters needed to attend to during planting time and harvest time or if data collection needs to be taken on weekends. Reach work around 8-9 (flexible) and leave at 5 or 3:30. Enjoyed working in agriculture, it includes working in labs, greenhouses and in field plots. Everyone was very kind and respectful.
Extremely welcoming, fun, challenging, and relaxed workplace
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Agassiz, BC17 January 2017
All my review is based on the Agassiz research center.

Ag Canada is an extremely fun workplace (especially for student workers) and a challenging one depending on your passion/abilities and who you work for. I was fortunate enough to work under a researcher that helped me grow exponentially, but I have seen other students do mostly physical labour work. Work culture is relaxed and professional at the same time. The management encourages lots of communication between all of the employees, and a social committee holds lots of sports and social events. The most enjoyable and hardest part of the job is that it is challenging. Most scientists working there are world-class scientists in their respective fields, and thus expects the highest quality work at all times. This is no easy feat, but also comes with a rewarding feeling.

The only problem I found working at the Agassiz research center is that it is too remote.
To become stronger people and education oriented
Sustainability Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2016
Sharing personal ideas, to become stronger people and education oriented comes from own core values and experiences gained through my life journey.The purpose of existence is to achieve a good balance using advantage project life-cycle as one of tools within teamwork. Teamwork means sharing constraints about scope, time and budget and how to complete the project successfully. Never give up even the initial attempt fails to get there as teamwork, trust needs to be earned over time.Trust, dedication and self-confidence are key success factors that involve fundamental changes in the way of life accountability and how team proceeds together through entire value chain. Thus, it is only worth doing business if the benefits are shared.
Pros
good people
Is batter in canada
Agriculture (Former Employee) –  Algerine Shore, NS22 November 2016
A LOVE WORK IN CANADA A HAVE EXPERIONS This topic company produces a local production and inadequate for export but there are no possibilities, means and shortage of labor and the state's refusal to support for the company Astarvi this topic
Pros
Annual output
Cons
14 Hours
Enjoyable and rewarding workplace
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon SK20 May 2016
I met a lot of great people through this experience, working in research was challenging, but also a great way to build team skills and research techniques.
productive
Laboratory assistant and technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
A lot of chances to grow networking, more learning opportunities, will get hands on experience, as a casual if you take leave you will not get any payment.
Pros
hands on eperience
Cons
not good salary for casual workers but still good for experience