Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good voulenteer job
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee), sunderlandOctober 13, 2015
Pros: work experience
Cons: can get quite
Help out on shop floor by maintaining stock and other items in shop. stock rotate and finally help produce valid stock to bring down to shop floor
Productive Work Place
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee), ChesterfieldOctober 9, 2015
Pros: good atmosphere, kind co-workers
Cons: working in a busy shop
Productive work place with kind and supportive staff. I tend to make a few mistakes with the till but I'm always trying my best to improve. I learnt a variety of jobs; steaming clothes/textiles, till, stocking up, doing the price tags etc. My co-workers are a friendly bunch of people who are really supportive of me. I always ask my managers or co-workers if I don't know how to do something or what's my next job. The hardest job is when I get a crowd of customers at the till and that I had to try my best to get every customers shopping done. The most enjoyable part is learning new skills from staff and that each week I do different jobs around the shop.
great place to volunteer ,great co-workers the hardest part of the job is lifting furniture upstairs
Customer care (Current Employee), Millom, ENGOctober 9, 2015
Pros: great place to learn
Cons: voluntery hours
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
good work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Leigh, ENGSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: entaiment and get me out house
Cons: long days
Fun work place with one of the best management team. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent co workers sum in my sitution and sum volenteers, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and learning to build and organise from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew but thats just work
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Support Administrator (Current Employee), WarringtonSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: Bupa health care / perkz
Cons: No opportunity to progress
Long days are filled with fun and laughter with your co workers however we still remain professional at the same time.
You learn new things every day as every day is different.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get out of the office and can go and advertise that we are a donation station to make people aware that we have a drop off place where they can bring donated items to support people in later life.
Workplace and people
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Southampton, ENGSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: Nothing
Every day were good for the job, and I learned a lot. The management was perfect, always gave attention and support to its volunteers. I don't had any problem with my co-works while I've been working there. It was amazing.
Productive and Fun workplace
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee), Sittingbourne, ENGSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Age UK is a very productive and fun place to work in, as the company provides many creative activities for those retired elderly to spend their time in. The company also provide meals for the elders so that they do not have the needs to cook for themselves. Also the company provides regular health checks for the elders with the employed nurses that are stationed in the building.
Worthwhile workplace
Shop Assistant (Current Employee), SouthamptonSeptember 15, 2015
I worked here as a volunteer, hence the low star rating in salary and benefits. However, Age UK has served as a useful stepping stone in the road from finishing education to gaining a full time job; here I am learning a lot about retail and organisation in shop, along with more about how to work as an effective team member! I believe that this knowledge gained will be useful to me as I continue my jobsearch.
FUNPLACE
Long Term Volunteer admin (Former Employee), WIGANSeptember 7, 2015
AS AN ADMIN ASSISTANT I HAD A WIDE AND VARIED ROLL FROM DATA ENTRY, TELEPHONE WORK, FILING,AND OTHER ASSOCIATED OFFICE WORK. BUT THE PEOPLE WERE THE BEST I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH.
Confidence Booster
Retail assistant (Former Employee), Stockton HeathSeptember 6, 2015
Pros: Being in a team
Cons: Store can be empty sometimes
I personally have a lot of fond memories working for Age Uk, it helped me grow as a person and learn more about how businesses adapt towards their audience. In the role, I liked working and communicating as a team. Sometimes I'd be helping on the till downstairs and other times I'd be helping with the stock. Whatever role I chose I'd always find myself enjoying peoples company, having fun, talking and making everyones experience a good one.
relaxed but good experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), brackleySeptember 1, 2015
Pros: good experience
Cons: voluntary
very supportive management who will do anything to help you out. they are not focused on data due to them being a charity. very relaxed workplace
very helpfull
home carer (Former Employee), darlingtonAugust 25, 2015
Pros: helpfull
Cons: none.
they helped me to become an independent carer for my grandmother and offered help and guidance if needed, also gave support to my grandmother if needed.
Hard working and can be intense.
Administrator, voluntary worker (Current Employee), South Shields, ENGAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Brilliant people to work with.
Cons: If something is not resolved that day it can stay on your mind until you know it is settled.
Because its a charity, everything involved is to do with someone's well-being and quality of life. You need to be accurate with data, information and you have to be able to work as part of a team. Everyone working here are very supportive and always encouraging with regards enhancing skills with courses and further eduction.
productive and fun environment
volunteer (Former Employee), DunstableAugust 19, 2015
the management are fun and caring all co-volunteers are kind nice and fun to get along with i learned many skills like steaming clothing, tagging items, operating a cash register
fun place to work, good team spirit.
Voluntary Receptionist (Former Employee), NorwichAugust 17, 2015
This was a voluntary position, I did not work there long, as I was not learning much. they had no computers on reception, also no switchboard, just telephones, I needed to learn how to do Excel, Word processing, spreadsheet too.
I have been working as a cook for a while now, and as much as I love catering, I have been told by my doctor that I need to go back to office work, as I cannot stand for 8 to 10 hours a day since I have had my hip replacement.
All in all Age UK was a lovely place to work for.
volunteer
sales assistant (Current Employee), blackheathAugust 16, 2015
Pros: one on one with customers
i start work sorting donations, tagging and pricing up items i then go on shop floor as a cashier and sorting out all the clothes and taking off`s.
im currently doing my NVQ2 in customer service i love the people i work with they are down to earth and we can work and enjoy each others company aswell.
Volunteer
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Lincoln, ENGAugust 16, 2015
Not worked here long but good friendly place to work with chance to earn a little experience. Nice food and service and lots of pleasant staff to make you feel welcome and wanted. Volunteer worker.
Great
Volunteer (Current Employee), BostonAugust 11, 2015
a typical day was great, busy and always had something to do. i leaned a lot about working in a retail environment.management was brilliant, everybody new what they was doing.
the hardest part was learning to work the Till and greet people in the correct manor however it has been the most enjoyable part and so has getting on with other staff members as we all have a good connection.
Good experience to have, a def place for vlounteer work.
Store Assistant volunteer (Current Employee), Wisbech, ENGAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff and customers, lots to do and flexible times
Cons: Stock checks and steaming is long, can be a long quiet day on shop floor.
I have been a volunteer for AGE UK Wisbech since March 16th and I have not only used my previous retail experience to good use as part of their wonderful team. I have also gained new experience handling the older generation of customers and their concerns.

In a typical day as a Volunteer I was given tasks much as steaming donated cloths, sorting good and bad stock for the shop as well as pricing stock to put out for customers. These jobs at first do not sound all exciting but the management and co-workers do keep you in check and talk to you loads to keep you comfortable. They make sure you take the necessary breaks and do as you are asked from management.

If you are lucky and are put onto the short staff team on certain days or are asked to come in and do a few weekends you also are till trained and required to look after shop floor and the customers. Serving them at the till and answering any questions the have about items or problems.

The hardest job to do at the store is look after shop floor for a few hours on your own on a busy day. As Friday and Saturdays are when most customers come. However, the manager does keep check on you and keeps you happy at all times.

It is def a place to volunteer when struggling for a job.
Good Expierence
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Kings Heath, ENGAugust 3, 2015
I worked at Age UK for a year doing a level 2 NVQ in customer service.
It was first full time job, I loved working there with my co-workers. The management was good, but not overly friendly.
The hardest part was that I didn't have much knowledge of office work places, and trying to adjust to that on my own was difficult.
I loved working for a charity.
I spent most of my time on reception taking calls and uploading customer information to the data base.