Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
volunteer
sales assistant (Current Employee), blackheathAugust 16, 2015
Pros: one on one with customers
i start work sorting donations, tagging and pricing up items i then go on shop floor as a cashier and sorting out all the clothes and taking off`s.
im currently doing my NVQ2 in customer service i love the people i work with they are down to earth and we can work and enjoy each others company aswell.
Volunteer
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Lincoln, ENGAugust 16, 2015
Not worked here long but good friendly place to work with chance to earn a little experience. Nice food and service and lots of pleasant staff to make you feel welcome and wanted. Volunteer worker.
Great
Volunteer (Current Employee), BostonAugust 11, 2015
a typical day was great, busy and always had something to do. i leaned a lot about working in a retail environment.management was brilliant, everybody new what they was doing.
the hardest part was learning to work the Till and greet people in the correct manor however it has been the most enjoyable part and so has getting on with other staff members as we all have a good connection.
Good experience to have, a def place for vlounteer work.
Store Assistant volunteer (Current Employee), Wisbech, ENGAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff and customers, lots to do and flexible times
Cons: Stock checks and steaming is long, can be a long quiet day on shop floor.
I have been a volunteer for AGE UK Wisbech since March 16th and I have not only used my previous retail experience to good use as part of their wonderful team. I have also gained new experience handling the older generation of customers and their concerns.

In a typical day as a Volunteer I was given tasks much as steaming donated cloths, sorting good and bad stock for the shop as well as pricing stock to put out for customers. These jobs at first do not sound all exciting but the management and co-workers do keep you in check and talk to you loads to keep you comfortable. They make sure you take the necessary breaks and do as you are asked from management.

If you are lucky and are put onto the short staff team on certain days or are asked to come in and do a few weekends you also are till trained and required to look after shop floor and the customers. Serving them at the till and answering any questions the have about items or problems.

The hardest job to do at the store is look after shop floor for a few hours on your own on a busy day. As Friday and Saturdays are when most customers come. However, the manager does keep check on you and keeps you happy at all times.

It is def a place to volunteer when struggling for a job.
Good Expierence
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Kings Heath, ENGAugust 3, 2015
I worked at Age UK for a year doing a level 2 NVQ in customer service.
It was first full time job, I loved working there with my co-workers. The management was good, but not overly friendly.
The hardest part was that I didn't have much knowledge of office work places, and trying to adjust to that on my own was difficult.
I loved working for a charity.
I spent most of my time on reception taking calls and uploading customer information to the data base.
day at work
home assistant (Current Employee), Portsmouth, ENGAugust 2, 2015
Pros: can go home for lunch
Cons: travelling
have to travel from different home to home
i enjoy meeting people cleaning ..shopping talking to help them to live in there own homes
i don't like the travelling
every week can be different hours are up and down
Enjoyable
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee), Grimsby, ENGJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Friendliness and Self satisfactory.
Cons: Voulentary
I worked voluntarily for charity it was enjoyable, everyone is friendly, it is an easy slow pace job and very self satisfactory.
good place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Scarborough, ENGJuly 17, 2015
I really enjoy doing voluntary work at Age Uk. It is a good place in terms of people, and I feel I can develop my skills.I would reccomend anyone to volunteer here
Fun and productive workplace
Customer Assistance (Former Employee), South Shields, ENGJuly 16, 2015
It was busy but fun. It was great to help out and improve on old skills and gain new ones. You would be on your feet a lot but it was enjoyable. I volunteered with a great bunch of people.
Tense workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Winchester, ENGJuly 13, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Drafts and noise
Jealousy and friction in a noisy shop with limited space nd variable temperatures. The atmosphere was tense and the communications were poor.
lovely place to work
volunteer (Current Employee), shrewsburyJuly 13, 2015
Pros: knowing you are doing something for the community
Cons: none
i absolutly love it its so rewarding and i would love to persue this as a future job , you get to meet some really interesting people and i love to hear all their stories my work is voluntary and it nice to know that im giving my time to these lovely people , the hardest part of the job is when you see them struggling to work or when they get confused its so sad, but i help them as much as i can to make sure their visit is pleasant
Excellent fun place to work good career prospects
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Current Employee), Scarborough, ENGJuly 13, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: love working long hours to learn new skills
A typical day at work for me is opening the shop at the start of a new day setting up the cash float for till checking all the stock for shop floor working with colleagues which are very friendly and fun to work with achieving good sales at the end of the day for the charity I work for .the most enjoyable part of the day for me is achieving targets which are set and going past my goals I am constantly learning new skills on a daily basis.
productive and fun work place
sales assistant (Former Employee), Preston, ENGJuly 7, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: long hours
it was a good place to work gave me an idea on what working all the time would be like taught me allot about socializing with new people
my co-workers were really helpful if i didn't understand something they would show me how to do it properly until i got it right.
taught me people skills
employer (Former Employee), londonJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Good amount of breaks
Cons: Late finishes
Age UK, was a charity organisation that taught me the importance of customer satisfaction and as a result it helped the business gain positive recognition and an increased amount of customers whilst i was there.
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee), Preston, ENGJune 30, 2015
Pros: no free food
Cons: and yes long hours
talking to other co-workers a good day at work i have learned how to use the till and lot more i like the mangement team i really in enjoy it and i love helping other
Harding work, satisfying and fun.
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Polegate, ENGJune 29, 2015
Pros: No set break times. You could make a drink when you wanted one.
Cons: Long hours with never a full lunch break.
I enjoyed working at Age Uk and over the 5 years that I was employed I worked under 4 Managers. They all had different ideas how to run the shop and how to make money, but the most important factor about all of them was that they loved their job and had a great desire and dedication to make as much money as possible for the charity to help vulnerable people.

I learnt how to deal with all different sorts of people of all ages and backgrounds and how to work as part of a team and to delegate where possible. I also learnt how important a charity shop is for raising money and awareness of peoples plights and difficulties.

A typical day would be arriving at the shop and putting the float in the till ready to open up. I would then put the kettle on and wait for the other paid members of staff to arrive and the volunteers who were on duty that day. We would open the shop door to welcome in customers and then proceed to sort through donations bags. We would find suitable items for selling, then label and price them for the shop floor. Any things not suitable to sell would go for recycling.
I would then check the stock what was on display and order things in
which the Charity bought to make sure we had enough availability.

In the afternoon I would cash up the till and do all the relevant bank paperwork and then go to the bank and deposit the takings.

My co-workers were people who generally had a passion for the charity and raising money was just as important as being paid.

To me the hardest part was not being able to sell certain items because of regulations, which – more... meant they would have to be recycled or thrown away and very little profit was made.

The most enjoyable part was meeting the volunteers and customers and also trying to encourage people to sign up for 'Gift Aid' which I think is a marvellous idea. We would also have competitions to see who could make the most money on a Saturday and was given a certain free hand at reducing stock to encourage people to buy. – less
Very difficult to please
Temporary Administrator (Former Employee), Penkridge, ENGJune 24, 2015
Pros: Charity who look after the elderly.
Cons: Not really temporary-staff friendly.
A typical day was never set, and changes, despite you already planning your work week out because your colleague wasn't willing to communicate with you. Your boss was always changing her mind, and making your efforts seem futile. Your female colleagues didn't like having a male in their ranks, because they felt you lacked their compassionate natures. Enjoyable bit was leaving a hot office, and go and see potential volunteers.
Personal Assistant
Voluntary Receptionist and administrator support (Former Employee), Borough Station, ENGJune 17, 2015
Pros: outcome and friends
Cons: hours absorbed
The role was to provide administration support to a planning objection which the community as a whole communicated that they wanted to object the application planning permission. A large Scale project with detrimental impact to the community.
Communicating the wider views of the community to potential financial streams i.e the big lottery, waste management companies, council, MP's, peel holdings.
The hardest part of the role was the time spent on unravelling the interested parties, gathering information and disseminating it to the campaigners and the community.
Lifelong friends were created along with a more cohesive community as ownership was achieved to prevent a local impact and detriment to residents.
productive
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGJune 14, 2015
Pros: good staff
Cons: half hour dinner time
go in sort stock and start stocking shelves with items that were tag and priced serve customers when shop was open or stayed in back room when shop was open tagging clothes ready to be steamed,general day to day duties and operating a till and a steamer.friendly co workers easy to have a laugh the enjoyable part to job was being able to have a laugh with customers and staff.
great workplace to start out in retail enviourment
Shop Assistant/Volunteer (Current Employee), KidderminsterJune 12, 2015
Pros: Travel reinbursed and lunch time getting treated like part of the family
Cons: Long hours
A typical day at work would be like any other day when you have to serve customers and do other tasks at the same time.
I learned all about using the till and using a credit/debit card machine and also gained over three years of customer service, but the main thing I learnt from it was that a retail work enviourment was the place where I wanted too work the most as I felt comfortable and relaxed with everyone who worked/volunteered there and were like a family to me.
The management there was brilliant as they really treated you like one of the family and not like someone who just came to volunteer there for a while.
My co-workers were all very polite and well behaved and there was no discrimination towards anyone and they all respected of whatever type of background you had.
The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that it was long hours but I managed to get through it and come out on the positive side of it all and learn to deal with it.
The most enjoyable part of the job must of been when I was talking to customers and knowing the I had done my job for them personally and them also telling me that I was doing my job as a volunteer as well which was really nice of them.
I would recommend too anyone that is a great place to volunteer at if they maybe thought about doing some voluntary work at all.