Age UK Employee Reviews

Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  PortsmouthFebruary 9, 2016
A typical Saturday and Sunday are fun at work. However, I am looking for paid job, this is because I like to be independent, look after myself, be happy, save up and not rely on anyone for money.
none stop work.
manager retail (Current Employee) –  Leicester, ENGDecember 3, 2015
Greedy management poor support. Don't get days off due to lack of staff. They always want more. I've seen managers come and go they never stick it. Head office stinks. All they are interested in are figures.
Ageuk all round
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Folkestone!!March 28, 2013
The job was fun and easy to do, loved meeting new people.
Sorting goods and finding treasure to help raise money.
I was a volunteer for 7 years and loved my job And would still be there but found out that the higher ups are not what they seem?

Along came an awful Manager who decided to bring her friends and
Family in and bully and buy off the other volunteers already there..
things started happening that wasn't suppose to be, so
wrote to the higher ups. But nothing was done about it?
my daughter who was the Assistant Manger there also didn't like how the shop is being run. She also reported it.. Again nothing??
**So in the end of fighting...my daughter decided she couldn't work like that! So had no choice **but to leave**
Pros
meeting people, helping others, finding treasure.
Cons
management don't help. cover-up.
A very friendly place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  WiganFebruary 19, 2016
Age uk in Ashton is a great way to get experience for retail work. It is a very freindly shop. The Manager lynn is one ov the best people you can work for.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heavy lifting occasionaly
enjoyable workplace
Sunday Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letchworth, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work varied from shift to shift. I gained independence and confidence through working for Age UK. I mainly worked alongside volunteers who help you have a productive, fun day.
Relaxed and fun
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Driffield, ENGOctober 30, 2015
Fun place to gain work experience within a relaxed atmosphere. Customer interaction and management enabled me to learn things about myself, while also improving other aspects of myself that would be beneficial in the workplace.
didnt like it the age uk people who came to see me was telling tails
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  wybournJanuary 14, 2016
went to work 4 times a day all week and weekend for 2 months and it turned out that i wasnt expereniced enough to give out meds
Cons
long shifts
Rewarding and good fun
Befriender/Walk from home volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
I spend time with clients chatting and going walking, trying to build up their confidence. occasionally doing some cleaning around the home
age uk
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  England, ARNovember 27, 2015
busy shift i do 9- 5 love working and meeting new faces and welcoming people in the working bussinesses to try an help out or even try a day the hardest part of the job is doing alot of ordering things around and not having time to think if its okay or not but i enjoy and love my volentree work and look folward to everyday
Pros
Cons
only 10 mins
Excellent fun place to work good career prospects
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ENGJuly 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me is opening the shop at the start of a new day setting up the cash float for till checking all the stock for shop floor working with colleagues which are very friendly and fun to work with achieving good sales at the end of the day for the charity I work for .the most enjoyable part of the day for me is achieving targets which are set and going past my goals I am constantly learning new skills on a daily basis.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
love working long hours to learn new skills
Friendly and Productive
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Shepton MalletOctober 30, 2015
Management and are other staff were kind and helpful. I was only a volunteer so i wasn't there that long but the work atmosphere was a nice place to be in. I put out clothes and other items, assisted customers and helped keep it tidy.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  WarringtonSeptember 28, 2015
Long days are filled with fun and laughter with your co workers however we still remain professional at the same time.
You learn new things every day as every day is different.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get out of the office and can go and advertise that we are a donation station to make people aware that we have a drop off place where they can bring donated items to support people in later life.
Pros
Bupa health care / perkz
Cons
No opportunity to progress
Age UK volunteer
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  South Tyneside, ENGJanuary 7, 2016
Age UK volunteer staff, put me through training for support work and basic mental health work. Brilliant in supporting staff and co workers, great help with references etc too.
quite bad place to work
General assistant and till operator (Former Employee) –  ScunthorpeNovember 22, 2015
typical day at work was boring especially with no customers
i learned till operation
manager was nice ish
co workers were boring and didn't assist me
hardest part of the job was the amount of customers daily was very low
enjoyable part was using the till
Personal Assistant
Voluntary Receptionist and administrator support (Former Employee) –  Borough Station, ENGJune 17, 2015
The role was to provide administration support to a planning objection which the community as a whole communicated that they wanted to object the application planning permission. A large Scale project with detrimental impact to the community.
Communicating the wider views of the community to potential financial streams i.e the big lottery, waste management companies, council, MP's, peel holdings.
The hardest part of the role was the time spent on unravelling the interested parties, gathering information and disseminating it to the campaigners and the community.
Lifelong friends were created along with a more cohesive community as ownership was achieved to prevent a local impact and detriment to residents.
Pros
outcome and friends
Cons
hours absorbed
Charity work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  hullNovember 16, 2015
Was just productive working for this charity, working alongside the manager and gaining skills I carry on using today, i.e; people skills, confidence, presentational skills and customer service skills, as well as sales and using a register.
Pros
Productive on daily basis
Cons
can be too busy at times.
enjoyable job
driver/carer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, ENGDecember 22, 2013
I work looking after elderly people at a day care centre, entertaining, cooking and helping elderly people have a better quality of life, The company provides excellent training in the care industry. I have and do work as a relief manager when needed I have attended a management course provided by the company, I work alongside caring and able individuals as part of a team. The hardest part of my job is losing people you've cared for and the most enjoyable is when you do something for someone that makes them smile and makes a difference to their lives.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
low salary
Workplace and people
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Southampton, ENGSeptember 28, 2015
Every day were good for the job, and I learned a lot. The management was perfect, always gave attention and support to its volunteers. I don't had any problem with my co-works while I've been working there. It was amazing.
Confidence Booster
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton HeathSeptember 6, 2015
I personally have a lot of fond memories working for Age Uk, it helped me grow as a person and learn more about how businesses adapt towards their audience. In the role, I liked working and communicating as a team. Sometimes I'd be helping on the till downstairs and other times I'd be helping with the stock. Whatever role I chose I'd always find myself enjoying peoples company, having fun, talking and making everyones experience a good one.
Pros
Being in a team
Cons
Store can be empty sometimes
Good Expierence
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kings Heath, ENGAugust 3, 2015
I worked at Age UK for a year doing a level 2 NVQ in customer service.
It was first full time job, I loved working there with my co-workers. The management was good, but not overly friendly.
The hardest part was that I didn't have much knowledge of office work places, and trying to adjust to that on my own was difficult.
I loved working for a charity.
I spent most of my time on reception taking calls and uploading customer information to the data base.