Age UK

Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
nice and extremly nice atomsphere
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Poynton, ENGOctober 30, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: no cons
ti was better to volunteer at age UK because your helping the people of the age of 50 and you were giving back to the comuuinty
Enjoying Teaching and Learning together
Voluntary Software Teacher (Current Employee), Reading LibraryOctober 24, 2014
When teaching people the use of the web and various software I enjoy solving problems for people, answering question and coming up with ideas as to how to communicate with a wide variety of people. However teaching the older generation only provides me with terrific feedback and occasional design work. I need to go back to being a professional designer with my new skills.
Good Experience Gained
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), HillboroughOctober 18, 2014
Pros: the experience gained from working there
Cons: being asked to leaved because there were too many volunteers working at the store
I can't remember what my work hours were but I do remember that I worked during the weekends. My duties at the store mainly consisted of pricing items, shelf stacking, product organizing and handling bric a brac. The managers of the store at the time that I worked there was kind and considerate, however whenever she needed something doing that couldn't wait I made sure to get that job done. The co-workers that I worked along were a mixture in there personalities. Somewhere great to work with as there knew how to have a good time at work whilst doing what need to be done, whilst others were a little arrogant (Putting it nicely) and didn't believe in making friends with their co-workers. There were even some staff members who took the job so seriously that they only wanted to do one specific job whilst I was flexible and always willing to try new thing. The people that I got along with became really close that we are still friends to this day.
Fun Workplace
Till Operator (Former Employee), Cheltenham, ENGOctober 15, 2014
Great place to work and good atmosphere. good hours, very flexable.
productive workplace
Befriending support/ co-ordinator (Former Employee), London, ENGOctober 14, 2014
Working with Age UK was very beneficial for me it allowed me to gain the experience needed to progress further in my college course and in the health and social care working sector. I also found working with Age UK Westminster rewarding it gave me the opportunity to improve the clients lives and help to relieve their depression and loneliness.
shop assistant
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), sheffieldOctober 13, 2014
customer service,cash handling,using card machines,steaming clothes,tag and pricing clothes, sorting stock.

cleaning the shop and making sure the stock is in date and serving customers,the shop was run very organised and i was able to do any task that was asked of me and working with other workers was very enjoyable as i was able to ask for their help when needed.
Rewarding place to work.
Freedom In Movement Co-Ordinator (Former Employee), Ashton under lyneOctober 8, 2014
I found my work for a leading charity very rewarding work . Supporting the over fifties age group to help maintain health and well being programmes was just one of my aims . Working with an excellent supportive dedicated and very hard working team of volunteers and paid staff the Charity kept the finger on the pulse of the things that would impact most on older sector of or community.
Rewarding and fun work place
Relief Care Assistant/ Relief Cook (Current Employee), LowestoftOctober 8, 2014
My role as a relief care assistant / volunteer is to encourage inclusion and group interaction within in the elderly group who have diverse levels of need whilst also supporting independence autonomy and person centred care. I help to create activities and transfer skills that can encourage motivation and promote activities that can exercise the brain. I also form a professional bond with clients, which can have a beneficial effect on the well being of the person by being someone they can talk to and a point of contact should there be an issue that has developed
Age UK
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), RedcarOctober 2, 2014
Pros: set hours
Cons: paid job not a certainty
Age UK was a lovely place to work and the staff were friendly and efficient, i learned a lot in the time i was on placement there but there was no job at the end of it as they usually rely on volunteers.
Friendly workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee), Bretton CentreSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: being around lovely people and knowing that what i am doing will help someone.
The atmosphere is positive and everyone is very welcoming and friendly. From volunteering at AGE UK I have picked up many valuable skills such as how to approach costumers no matter their age, how to sort items out after they are delivered, how to tidy up the shop floor and back/store room to make it look appealing to costumers. Also how to work in a team, always helping each other to make the customer satisfied, always putting the customer first. I most enjoy getting to communicate and interact with the costumers it creates a friendly, positive atmosphere to be in.
think they are good employer and gives opporunities to people like me .
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Dartford, ENGSeptember 25, 2014
working part of a team and to able to work on your own and to get things done in a safe way . and to be careful people around you. and to work hard with people .
Productive, Fun to work for, Great to gain confidence
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Blackpool, ENGSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day at work is just basically getting as much stock out on the shop floor that is if you are working in the stock-room. The shop floor is keeping the store tidy and neat and attending to customers. Both parts of the store are a great way to gain self confidence.

Volunteering here will allow you to develop skills such as: Stock management, basic till skills, cash handling, simple maths and steaming. You will be organising the store and choosing what is suitable to go out on the shop floor or which isn't.

The management is great, mainly because they are fun to be around, lenient but yet strict. You will gain confidence being around them. Both Manager/ Assistant are good at there jobs and will get the most out of you by allowing you to learn everything from till work to cashing off. As long as you are trusted enough. Volunteering here is enjoyable which is why people tend to stay rather than leave.
VOLUNTEER
WAITRESS (Current Employee), LINCOLNSeptember 10, 2014
I CURRENTLY VOLUNTEER HERE HELPING OUT IN THE RESTARAUNT.

I DONT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!

VOLUNTEER FOR AGE UK HAS BEEN REALLY GOOD BECAUSE IT HAS HELPED ME MORE WITH MEETING NEW PEOPLE
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Bristol, ENGSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: lunch allowances
A typical day at work included working at the tills, the stockroom or organising the shop floor whilst interacting with customers. I learned to be vigilant, proactive and friendly towards people from different ages and cultures. The management was impressive and created a friendly environment for me and my colleagues to work in. My co-workers also participated in making Age UK a great place to work each week. They were friendly, welcoming and helpful if I had questions or support. The hardest part of my job included encountering upset customers and making sure their queries are dealt with so the store does not lose them as customers. I believe I did this exceptionally and most if not all customers left the stores with their problems sorted and their questions answered. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on the shop floor and creating conversation with customers as this encouraged them to ask about anything they might be unsure of such as what dates more stock should arrive or if we have a particular item in the stock room.
Productive and a work fun place
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee), CoventrySeptember 8, 2014
I really enjoy to work a busy environment. AgeUK is one of place which is a busy environment. Every day AgeUK has very busy environment because it's a place where the good are sold which are given as a donation. These goods are sold for a low price and customers would like to buy more good from AgeUK. I have learned many more things like steaming the clothes, hanging the clothes, tagging and pricing them, displaying the item in an attractive manner, maintaining the shop, handling the financial transactions, welcoming customers in a pleasent way and receiving the deliveries from the people.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail (Current Employee), Durham, ENGSeptember 8, 2014
A typical day at Age UK is steaming clothes and working on the till serving the customers while maintaining a happy and friendly environment for the customers.
I have learned how to be more approachable, I have improved my listening skills, I have learned to be more focused and that communication is crucial in the work environment.
The management are lovely and kind but push you to do your best and to learn from mistakes.
My co-workers are a mix of all people from young to old, anyone that wants to help the charity can apply.
The hardest part of working there for me is the on the spot maths and having to calculate with money, I have since working there improved a lot.
The most enjoyable part of the job is pricing up the stock.
A well worthy cause
Age UK Volunteer (Current Employee), Dorchester, ENGAugust 22, 2014
Delivery and collections between the retail outlets in Portland and Dorchester on a weekly basis. Pick up from remote locations as required
friendly and rewarding
Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGAugust 15, 2014
Pros: gaining expierence
Cons: not getting paid
everyone from customers to staff were lovely and friendly, it was a good way to socialize and you never knew what people would bring in for a donation next
Brilliant in every way
Floor Assistant (Former Employee), Runcorn, ENGJuly 30, 2014
I really enjoyed work on the shop floor as part of the team and working day to day with the public. It was also good because I had responsibilities of handling the money what the customers paid in. I also helped to stock the shelves and put the clothes on the rail and making sure that all clothes had the right tags and the right prices and when customers had tried them on I made sure they were put back palpably.
AGE UK
volunteer (Former Employee), lime streetJuly 29, 2014
Pros: keeping busy
Cons: long hours
My typical day at Age UK would be:
Processing payments, Preparing clothes for sale, Stock control and Customer service. I learnt how to interact with the customers and work in a team but also on my own initiative. the manager was very nice and always made sure everything was done correctly. My co-workers were ok I just found sometimes I was doing their work as well. The hardest part of my job was the steaming of the clothes. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the customers and being kept busy

Age UK Photos