Age UK

Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
volunteer worker (Former Employee), kentJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: set hours were not always stuck to
A typical day at Age UK consisted of manning the stall and working in the charity shop on-site in the morning, I would then take the clients order for lunch and deliver it to them. In the afternoon I would help with the activities. During my time at Age UK I have learned to work and socialise with many different types of people.
My co-workers were both friendly and helpful which made the work all the more enjoyable. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job was learning how things worked however I picked up new skills very quickly, the most enjoyable part was talking to the clients and helping them with activities and what they needed to do.
Enjoyable and rewarding
Home Care Support Worker (Former Employee), Burton on TrentDecember 23, 2014
it was great to interact with the public that needed assistance and is very rewarding to know when I left after a visit they were happy.
Great people to work for and with
Home helper (Current Employee), WatfordDecember 20, 2014
Pros: meeting interesting elderly citizens
I love the job.The most enjoyable part of the job is learning a lot of history from my clients. The hardest part of the job is seeing them when they are unwell and not being able to do anything about it.
Brilliant
Volunteer (Current Employee), Darwen, ENGDecember 19, 2014
Pros: able to pick hours
Cons: not paid
Absolutely loved my time there was sad to leave. I learnt loads about retail the people were nice typical day is serving customers and the most enjoyable time is when its busy
warehouse
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), birkenheadDecember 18, 2014
unloading the van, using the till

how to use the till

the management was good

using the till because there was different buttons for different stock

everything else
fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGDecember 11, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: not earning a wage
while working at Age uk,I meet new people who were my colleagues and who i am still in contact with today.the hardest part of the job was being rushed off my feet and the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk through my problems at work with the manager of the shop.
fun workplace
Temporary Assistant (Current Employee), Worcester, ENGDecember 7, 2014
A typical day at work consist of sorting donations and working on the till which the shop can get very busy, i learned how to tag garments, also how to price small ornaments.
Also the manger and assistant manager are very helpful and patient and i am very thankful.
very good place to work
Volunteer / retail assistant (Current Employee), Stockport, ENGNovember 29, 2014
team member steaming hanging ticketing ragging recycling banking
fun place to work
FULL TIME CARER (Former Employee), Brighton & HoveNovember 25, 2014
Good place to work ,kept you busy which is good.Machinist unfortunately now shut down
Productive and hard working
Senior Data Migration Executive (Current Employee), LondonNovember 20, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: lack of perks
There's always new information to learn about.
Documentation work and SQL Queries.
Slight divide between data management and project management.
Competitive environment to work in.
Trying to find answers to questions that there is a lack of knowledge on.
Being able to have flexible time and leave early if I start early.
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Thatcham, ENGNovember 13, 2014
Pros: fun co-workers, they don't push you too hard
My typical day at work was to turn up on a Sunday and help them with anything they needed doing. Sometimes this was getting things that were high up, or lifting heavy boxes to and from places. I learnt how to have fun with colleagues and I learnt how to work constructively in a workplace. The management was good as they didn't push me to hard and my co-workers were kind and welcomed me. The hardest part of the job was going through donations because we had lots to go through. But the most enjoyable part of the job was going there every Sunday and working with them because they were so kind and we got on really well.
Varied, rewarding workplace assisting the elderly to have a better quality of life
RECEPTIONIST/INSURANCE ARRANGER (Former Employee), Lincoln, ENGNovember 13, 2014
Pros: located central lincoln so easy to get to work
Cons: insurance which can be very monotonous
Originally employed on a part-time voluntary basis which led to achieving a salaried position. Answering telephone and face-to-face enquiries where necessary signposting service users to correct department or organisation. Handling and receipting cash also reconciling and banking Insurance payments. Promoting Activities, Trips, Information and Advice and Insurance services. Designing posters and flyers to promote the same. Entering data onto Insurance site to process quotes, also spreadsheets to record payments, customer details etc. Excellent knowledge of Data Protection Act.

Whilst here I updated my IT skills. I passed NVQs in Literacy, Numeracy, Customer Service, Clait Word and Excel XP and passed my exams to qualify as an Insurance Arranger

My co-workers were a wonderful, hardworking team who gave 110 pecent to our clients as did I.

The hardest part of the job was Insurance. It is a highly regulated industry and we therefore had to take exams approx every 3months to be compliant to trade.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you had made a difference to an elderly persons life.
Friendly staff and customers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Sunderland, ENGNovember 10, 2014
Pros: transport expenses covered, staff discount
Whilst there on a volunteering relationship, my co-workers were very friendly and would help whenever possible. I was able to gain a good rapport with both them, and the customers that came into store on a regular basis.
Whilst there I was able to develop my customer service skills and work alongside other people in a team effort. I was also able to get creative by regularly designing some of the stores windows and other areas.
I really enjoyed working for a company with a very good ethos as this made the job better, and made me work harder as I knew it was for a very good cause.
Enjoyed the experience, lovely work environment
Voluntary worker (Former Employee), Retford, ENGNovember 6, 2014
I used to (voluntary) go in every Monday from 4pm to 5pm to help out in the store and I really enjoyed the experience. It was a lovely relaxed work environment and the rest of the staff were very nice and we used to get on really well. The typical day would be sorting the shelves, removing items and placing them in the store rooms, I helped label and sort items, I did some house keeping e.g. hoovering and liaised with the customers. I also got shown how to use the till but I never got to do it on my own as I was under age.
Voluntary work place
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Garforth, ENGNovember 3, 2014
I enjoyed volunteering at Age uk as i felt i was doing something good with my time to help other people in need, i also got the customer service experience.
Steady Flow
Retail Volunteer (Former Employee), Heckmondwike, ENGNovember 1, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: could become very quiet
I enjoyed working here because i enjoy retail and meeting new people. The staff were friendly and welcoming. There were easy parts and difficult parts depending on how busy the shop got and the time of day. I learned how retail works, how to use a till and manage money and i developed on my social skills.
nice and extremly nice atomsphere
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Poynton, ENGOctober 30, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: no cons
ti was better to volunteer at age UK because your helping the people of the age of 50 and you were giving back to the comuuinty
Enjoying Teaching and Learning together
Voluntary Software Teacher (Current Employee), Reading LibraryOctober 24, 2014
When teaching people the use of the web and various software I enjoy solving problems for people, answering question and coming up with ideas as to how to communicate with a wide variety of people. However teaching the older generation only provides me with terrific feedback and occasional design work. I need to go back to being a professional designer with my new skills.
Good Experience Gained
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), HillboroughOctober 18, 2014
Pros: the experience gained from working there
Cons: being asked to leaved because there were too many volunteers working at the store
I can't remember what my work hours were but I do remember that I worked during the weekends. My duties at the store mainly consisted of pricing items, shelf stacking, product organizing and handling bric a brac. The managers of the store at the time that I worked there was kind and considerate, however whenever she needed something doing that couldn't wait I made sure to get that job done. The co-workers that I worked along were a mixture in there personalities. Somewhere great to work with as there knew how to have a good time at work whilst doing what need to be done, whilst others were a little arrogant (Putting it nicely) and didn't believe in making friends with their co-workers. There were even some staff members who took the job so seriously that they only wanted to do one specific job whilst I was flexible and always willing to try new thing. The people that I got along with became really close that we are still friends to this day.
Fun Workplace
Till Operator (Former Employee), Cheltenham, ENGOctober 15, 2014
Great place to work and good atmosphere. good hours, very flexable.

Age UK Photos

Would love to work with the elderly in  London