Age UK Employee Reviews

lovely people
I currently volunteer (Current Employee) –  BarnsleyMarch 23, 2016
I really like the volentry work would love a payed job with Ageuk,but I think they are hard to come by.staff are allways friendly good company to work for.
Pros
great to work for
Cons
nothing at all bad to say
productive and fun work place.
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  RoytonMarch 16, 2016
I found that age uk offered a high quality standard to meet staff and customers needs. the way age uk was expected to work alongside its customers was very effective and highly appropriate for the customers and members of staff that worked there.
Friendly team of Staff, Good Work ethic.
Part Time Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon HullMarch 15, 2016
A friendly team of staff, Staff discounts and a chance to be useful again after been unemployed for eight months.

Chance to learn new skills, Serve the community, and give something up for a worthy cause.
Pros
Staff Discount, Chance to learn new skills, Get back into a working environment.
Cons
No Pay .
Good working environment and team led
Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  BarnsleyMarch 9, 2016
A good learner led organisation, teaching and learning a variety of learners to excel within the workplace and for there self's.
Pros
Development of learners
Cons
Out of hours work
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  ShipleyMarch 2, 2016
Age UK is a productive and fun workplace, a typical day at work will involve steam cleaning unwanted clothes, being involved with customers and generally keeping the workplace neat and tidy.
I learned on my work experience how to use a till, it made me a lot more confident in myself because you have to talk to customers when they come in the shop. My co-workers were very great to work with as we all helped each other out when we needed it. The hardest part of my job was probably the steam cleaning as after a few hours your arms do ache quite a bit. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your gaining an experience but also your working for a charity.
Pros
Free Lunches (£2 towards your lunch)
Exellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  EnfieldMarch 1, 2016
I would meet and greet the client group. Some would be arriving, looking for advice. Others would have an appointment with the Footcare clinic. Others wold be asking for works to be done.
I would answer the telephone and monitor all calls/visitors to Age UK
I would liaise with senior staff in person/telephone/e.mail.
I enjoyed working on the frontline, it could be challenging, but that was ok
Enjoyabe and enourashing work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  GosportFebruary 28, 2016
Typical day is learning on the job new challenges to analyse and overcome, greeting and meeting customers, making sure their needs are met and are satisfied. I have learned, till work, company procedures, time management, merchandising and many other skills which pertain to retail. I have worked my way up the ladder to become Assistant Manager my previous work and have used my skills I have acquired and applied them in my Age UK position. My co-workers I get along with very well and have a great working relationship with staff at all levels. Hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customer but as a professional I have much experience in handling the situation. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the public, interacting with people and making sure they are happy.
Pros
Something new everyday
Cons
Feeling the need to do more to help vunerable customers
busy, interesting and productive workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  DunstableFebruary 26, 2016
working with Age UK for work experience was more vast and interesting than I expected. I carried out many tasks around the shop such as pricing, tagging and coling; clothes transportation; display and till work; helping both customers and colleagues and organising donations. the hours I worked was from 9am-5pm which suited me fine. I had a very positive and respectful relationships with the other staff and boss.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the clothes rearranging, display work and getting to know the customers. the hardest part was the clothes transportation (newly ironed and tagged clothes being put in shops) between the floors as there was a lot of them and they came in large amounts, which consumed a lot of time and energy and arranging the bric-a-brac as there were a lot of them in different shapes and sizes and little space they could be placed in.

working at Age UK opened my eyes and gave me a more solid insight of charity work and about Age UK itself and having more experience with older adults as they were the main target audience which benefits me greatly.
Pros
half price discounts, regular breaks
Cons
not all hours are as busy depending on the time of day and where people are
great
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  HalesowenFebruary 24, 2016
worked in the kitchen, and as it was my first job, and got the chance to learn working with elderly people, and what their needs were.

Management was understanding.

Staff was very helpful
A very friendly place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  WiganFebruary 19, 2016
Age uk in Ashton is a great way to get experience for retail work. It is a very freindly shop. The Manager lynn is one ov the best people you can work for.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heavy lifting occasionaly
Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  PortsmouthFebruary 9, 2016
A typical Saturday and Sunday are fun at work. However, I am looking for paid job, this is because I like to be independent, look after myself, be happy, save up and not rely on anyone for money.
Awesome
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  DarlingtonFebruary 8, 2016
Pure awsome place to work/volunteer at. Meeting new and different people every day. The part about this job was helping the charity with gaining more items from donations from the general public to sell.
Pros
great feeling
Cons
not enough time in the day
I enjoy meeting people and having a satifying day.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, Lincs.February 2, 2016
Operating the till at customer checkout, processing card and cash sales using a touch screen till and scanner. This involved providing the highest standard of customer care and service, assisting with enquiries, packing customer shopping and helping in any other area’s needed.
Rewarding and good fun
Befriender/Walk from home volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
I spend time with clients chatting and going walking, trying to build up their confidence. occasionally doing some cleaning around the home
enjoyable workplace
Sunday Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letchworth, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work varied from shift to shift. I gained independence and confidence through working for Age UK. I mainly worked alongside volunteers who help you have a productive, fun day.
Horrorific experience
training assistant (Former Employee) –  YorkshireJanuary 22, 2016
horrendous experience, although I learned alot. some staff were outrightly hostile. I was screamed at aggressively in my face by a so -called colleague. I heard another colleague use racist language (this individual delivered sessions on equality and diversity. There was a very toxic energy and fake positivity and a very gossipy culture, Some very devious snr colleagues would pile their work on to assistants, using the excuse they were behind, snowed under and stressed and then would sit in the manager's office for 5 hours (not kidding) laughing, meanwhile assistants getting behind with their own work. I enjoyed the work itself, but working there I realised something was seriously wrong in this particular centre. Oh yes and you were expected to go above and beyond without the relevant quals and experience, oh and staff would speak to each other cruelly and call it banter...just horrible and felt like i was going crazy working there. very cliquey if your face fits kind of place,
Pros
clients
Cons
non
Productive, engaging and a very descent workplace.
Voluntary General Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENGJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at the Age UK charity shop involved the organisation and replenishing of stock; communicating effectively and warmly with staff and customers; managing the tilt and ensuring that the shop itself was clean and presentable to customers.
A lovely place to work!
Facilities Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
I have learnt a lot and there is still more to learn. Training and learning on the job is a positive. But I feel some parts of the training needs to be separate rather then at the time of a deadline when mistakes can be made under pressure. Management as a whole need to be open minded and neutral. But I feel my Manager could have been more encouraging. Through my experience the feedback given was meant to be positive but came across as negative and dis-encouraging and confusing to me. I understand constructive feedback is essential and to me balance is key on how you address the information is important regardless. I still think the Company is a great place to work and the spirit was pleasant and yes I would love to go back I miss it the people. I am very blessed and grateful I worked there.
Good company to work for.
Age UK walk from Home and befriending volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
Age UK is a good company to work for but it isn't my dream job, I would like to look after the elderly and people suffering from Dementia in a nursing home environment, I do not regret volunteering for Age UK at all, it's one of the best things I have ever done, it has boosted my confidence so much.
Pros
Working hours that work round you, meeting new people, free events to attend
Cons
The journey to your clients house if you don't drive.
Love working in charity, but...
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  MerseysideJanuary 16, 2016
The work is great, but I've never encountered so much back stabbing and internal politics in my life from the bottom through to top management. You're not supported by management and suggestions aren't welcome. If you choose to work for them, it's vital that you keep your thoughts to yourself.
Pros
Variety of work. Boredom doesn't exist.
Cons
Internal politics