Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Job Satisfaction
Bank Support Worker (Former Employee), Knaresborough UKJune 1, 2015
Pros: work around family
Cons: Pay
Start in the morning with visiting my first client, each client was individual, and had individual needs. Check that they are ok and do as what their care plan states, administering medication, preparing meals, taking to day clubs,doctors etc. check food in fridge to see if all is ok, sign care plan to state that you have visited and that you had administered meds, before leaving have a chat and make sure all is ok. Set off via car to next client and follow their individual care plan. had to make sure that i left each client within time so as to get to my next. Working independently but communicating with the office if any issues or concerns had arisen. The hardest part of the job was getting to each client within the time scale, and the most enjoyable part of the job was making sure that the client was ok and seeing the smile on their faces when they had company.
diverse
Silver surfer (Former Employee), londonFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
being a silver surfer was particularly for the elderly. i had to go into peoples houses and teach them how to use a computer. this would be so that they could do online shopping, or online banking, or just so that they could research. i managed my own days at work i worked alone. their was no hard part of the job. i enjoyed every second of the job. i got to work with elderly people, i was able to communicate with a variety of people with different needs and from different backgrounds. i was patient with them and kind and considerate as i was in their home. its a big thing having a vulnerable adult invite me into their home. i was their to help them. most of the time i didn't see it as work. they all had an hour each week with me but quite a lot of the time i let it run into my own time which i didn't get paid for, but that didn't bother me as i was helping someone.
Full or variety and characters
Home helper (Current Employee), WalsalllJuly 26, 2012
Pros: variation, out and about, meeting new people
Cons: ad hoc hours, poor pay
My role in this position is to visit clients in their own home and provide practical help, and more importantly to ensure they feel comfortable and relaxed in you're company. My visits are mainly focussed in the Walsall area. Visit lengths are determined by the client or, Key worker if the visit involves someone with learning difficulties.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is meeting new people and over time developing a rapport with that person. The job is mainly built on trust and is very rewarding when a person who, to begin with, is unsure of you or the service and then in time builds a strong bond with you. The least enjoyable part of the job for me is that my hours are ad hoc, which leaves little in the way of planning financially or recreationally.
Flexible Fun Enjoyable
Volunteer (Current Employee), St. NeotsOctober 13, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, fairly easy tasks, training given when asked.
I usually help with steaming clothes so they are ready for the shop floor and keeping the process going so the other volunteers won't be held back from their tasks.
I've learned that being patient is key and good communication is always appreciated. I've learned how much work goes into volunteering at a charity shop and I have learned how to use equipment in the stock room. I have asked for some time on the cash register and I am currently waiting for a time slot.
My co-workers are easy going and enjoy using their spare time to help the charity.
The hardest part of the job is when we are low on certain items that help to keep things moving in the stock room.
What I enjoy most is meeting volunteers, using my spare time to help the shop and learning how to use equipment.
Age UK
Volunteer work, Age UK (Former Employee), Horsham, ENGMay 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: not great staffing
This experience opened up the opportunity to interact with so many new types of people.
In daily life, it is not often that I come into contact with elderly people, but volunteering at Age UK, Horsham honestly showed me that most older people are still young at heart and desire to have just as much fun as the rest of us, only in a slightly less excitable fashion.

The most fascinating person I met there was a lady with downs syndrome. As I have a brother with a more aggressive form of Autism called Asperger's Syndrome, I felt delighted to meet someone so kind and at ease with the world. I would have probably never spoken to an older downs syndrome sufferer had I not volunteered here. She was such a gentle, kind-hearted person, much alike other downs syndrome sufferers I have came into contact with!
productive and a fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), darlingtonDecember 19, 2013
I personally thought it was fun to work there, i also learned everything you need to know when your wanting to work in retail they don't leave any thing out and if you needed any thing all you need to do is ask. The staff were very helpful and considerate. They were not the type of managers that never got involved in the daily tasks ahead because they did. The other volunteers were kind and helpful they were always there if you needed their help or if your struggling to do the job on your own. my most enjoyable part was working on the till and everyday it got easier and easier. The hardest part of my day was when you were left on your own because there wasn't enough staff and you had to do everything including put the clothes out people keep coming down with and cleaning the shop floor as well as serve customers.
A lovely place to work!
Facilities Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee), London, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
I have learnt a lot and there is still more to learn. Training and learning on the job is a positive. But I feel some parts of the training needs to be separate rather then at the time of a deadline when mistakes can be made under pressure. Management as a whole need to be open minded and neutral. But I feel my Manager could have been more encouraging. Through my experience the feedback given was meant to be positive but came across as negative and dis-encouraging and confusing to me. I understand constructive feedback is essential and to me balance is key on how you address the information is important regardless. I still think the Company is a great place to work and the spirit was pleasant and yes I would love to go back I miss it the people. I am very blessed and grateful I worked there.
Personal Assistant
Voluntary Receptionist and administrator support (Former Employee), Borough Station, ENGJune 17, 2015
Pros: outcome and friends
Cons: hours absorbed
The role was to provide administration support to a planning objection which the community as a whole communicated that they wanted to object the application planning permission. A large Scale project with detrimental impact to the community.
Communicating the wider views of the community to potential financial streams i.e the big lottery, waste management companies, council, MP's, peel holdings.
The hardest part of the role was the time spent on unravelling the interested parties, gathering information and disseminating it to the campaigners and the community.
Lifelong friends were created along with a more cohesive community as ownership was achieved to prevent a local impact and detriment to residents.
An enjoyable and Intimate work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Leicester, ENGOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Met many new people
Cons: Sometimes became a little tedious
The shop was not the biggest but I found regulars coming into the shop and all were friendly and welcoming with me. A typical day at work consisted of me and the shop manager alternating between the till, and organising clothing into their sections. Aside from the regular routine, I strongly developed the skills needed to quickly satisfy customer demands efficiently and so was often called upon to take charge of the shop whilst the manager ran a few errands in other stores.
Due to the size of the shop there were no major difficulties, however the most enjoyable part of the job was by far, conversing with customers, listening to what they had to say and responding appropriately with an answer that satisfied their needs.
Great to meet new people, fun and rewarding.
Home Care Attendant (Current Employee), Morpeth, NorthumberlandApril 30, 2013
Pros: meeting friendly people
Cons: non reliable hours
I look forward to meeting the people I care for everyday, a typical day for me is morning calls getting service users washed and ready for the day and maybe make breakfast, meds given if needed and a friendly chat to start their day and mine.
We have just started a new mobile phone system which we log into when we arrive at each service users home and all work is received through the phone which I think is good idea.
The coordinators or other staff are on call when ever needed and if you have any problems they are there to help or leave a message and they will call back.
I think the hardest part of the job is losing a service user to illness, old age or if they have to go into hospital as you can get quite attached.
Friendly and flexible(hours)
Age UK, Furniture Store (Current Employee), Bridgnorth, ENGJune 8, 2013
Pros: lunch allowence, flexible hours
Cons: no pay
A typical day would begin by me checking with my co-workers and checking what needs to be done around the store, after I have done this me and other co-workers will do these jobs, whether it be working on the till, pricing up stock or putting stock onto the shop floor. There is only one person who manages the store, he does the accounting for the store as well as any other duties around the store, he is not always in, but me and the rest of the co-workers do what we need to do to keep the store running. The hardest part in the job would be writing down who has donated thing and if they want to "Gift Aid" them. I leave this to my co-workers, who know how to do this. I enjoy talking to customers and helping them out when they come to the store.
productive, happy and fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee), Yarm, ENGJuly 21, 2013
On a typical day at Age UK I would start by steaming the clothes that need to be put out onto the racks then put them out. I would also serve customers on the till whilst doing this. I also keep the shop presentable and assist customers if they need anything. I handle with donations and re-tag clothing, books, media and homeware.

From Age UK i have learnt how to work in retail and deal with customers.

The management at Age UK are very efficient and helpful. As are the co-workers, in general Age UK is a lovely place to work.

The hardest part of working at Age UK is keeping the donations neat in the storage room as we get many donations per day.

I enjoy working in Age UK as the co-workers are polite and fun and i enjoy cooperating with the customers.
Ageuk all round
Volunteer (Former Employee), Folkestone!!March 28, 2013
Pros: meeting people, helping others, finding treasure.
Cons: management don't help. cover-up.
The job was fun and easy to do, loved meeting new people.
Sorting goods and finding treasure to help raise money.
I was a volunteer for 7 years and loved my job And would still be there but found out that the higher ups are not what they seem?

Along came an awful Manager who decided to bring her friends and
Family in and bully and buy off the other volunteers already there..
things started happening that wasn't suppose to be, so
wrote to the higher ups. But nothing was done about it?
my daughter who was the Assistant Manger there also didn't like how the shop is being run. She also reported it.. Again nothing??
**So in the end of fighting...my daughter decided she couldn't work like that! So had no choice **but to leave**
The job was only temporary but was a great place to work calm office enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Temp) (Former Employee), Ashburton, ENGMay 1, 2014
Pros: free drinks all the time
the job entailed working in a busy contact centre taking inbound response call in relation to their Later Life TV campaign and Magazine . Also my role was to ask trigger questions which gave me an understanding of what the caller needed.
The Management were outstanding if l had a question they could answer it straight away.
Co Workers - some where new to the job but there were quite a few colleagues that had been there years.
The Hardest part of the job I would say handling callers who were confused and didn't really know what they required
The Most enjoyable part of the job would be knowing that the customer was happy with the service l provided .
A great job knowing you are helping others
Care assistant (Former Employee), NWKJune 15, 2014
Morning we would give the clients their breakfast make sure they were fine. Play board games or just chat with clients. serve dinner and afterwards a game of bingo. some days we would take them on outings. We also done fundraising e.g. tombola, raffles, bonus ball and had entertainment
I had to let management updated on daily duties.
My work colleagues were great to work with as they also kept the place buzzing for our clients making them happy.
The hardest part of my job was when I was concerned over the clients well being and having to contact the relevant people.
I just loved working with people and making a difference, perhaps I was the only person the client would see all week. Making people happy is the best feeling in the world.
i loved working in AGE UK
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee), moor lane liverpoolMay 22, 2014
Pros: i learnt more about interacting with the public, i learnt about having pride in my work, dealing with conflict and working as a team.
Cons: having different managers some days
I loved working for Age uk , this placement was very beneficial for me and i learnt alot from this placement, i was welcomed into the shop as a friend from the beginning and appreciated the time the staff spent with me when i learnt something new and took abit longer the first time.
I am also grateful for the trust they had in me, only a week into the placement i was helping with the banking and it meant alot to me that they trusted me with the banking tasks.
i enjoyed hearing peoples stories and working in a friendly atmosphere where i knew my work was appricated.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail (Current Employee), Durham, ENGSeptember 8, 2014
A typical day at Age UK is steaming clothes and working on the till serving the customers while maintaining a happy and friendly environment for the customers.
I have learned how to be more approachable, I have improved my listening skills, I have learned to be more focused and that communication is crucial in the work environment.
The management are lovely and kind but push you to do your best and to learn from mistakes.
My co-workers are a mix of all people from young to old, anyone that wants to help the charity can apply.
The hardest part of working there for me is the on the spot maths and having to calculate with money, I have since working there improved a lot.
The most enjoyable part of the job is pricing up the stock.
Really good staff and fun workplace
Customer Adviser (Current Employee), in the stock room as well as the shop floorSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: easy hours, discount half price, welcoming staff
Cons: the lifting sometimes
A typical day at work is quite calm and laid back, I have learned how a business works as well as how a shop floor works, including how to deal with donations as well as "Gift Aid" I have learnt team working skills as well as inpoved on my independence. The management is really good, and helpful within the work place. My co-workers are very friendly and good and helpful to work with, we all work together to get the job done. In my opinion there are not many hard parts of the job, sometimes the lifting is quite a struggle but it's nothing to complain about. finally, the most enjoyable part of the job is going to the work and working with everyone.
Iit was a good opportunity to be involved in the work behind the scenes.
delivery assistant (Former Employee), dorsetJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: able to enjoy the weather during posting
Cons: monotonous.
a typical day would usually consist of collecting and delivering charity bags from the local community, and then bi-weekly transferring stock around the Dorset area, with the aim to give all donations a chance of being sold.
I unfortunately managed only my own time, keeping a pace of 400 drops every 3 hours.
I did not find the job difficult or strenuous, I asked for something more but there was nothing to offer.
everybody i worked with or liaised with was professional and polite.
I enjoyed dropping bags through doors; although monotonous, it was good exercise and I still felt a sense of accomplishment.
Productive Work Place
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee), ChesterfieldOctober 9, 2015
Pros: good atmosphere, kind co-workers
Cons: working in a busy shop
Productive work place with kind and supportive staff. I tend to make a few mistakes with the till but I'm always trying my best to improve. I learnt a variety of jobs; steaming clothes/textiles, till, stocking up, doing the price tags etc. My co-workers are a friendly bunch of people who are really supportive of me. I always ask my managers or co-workers if I don't know how to do something or what's my next job. The hardest job is when I get a crowd of customers at the till and that I had to try my best to get every customers shopping done. The most enjoyable part is learning new skills from staff and that each week I do different jobs around the shop.