Age UK Employee Reviews

Enjoyabe and enourashing work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  GosportFebruary 28, 2016
Typical day is learning on the job new challenges to analyse and overcome, greeting and meeting customers, making sure their needs are met and are satisfied. I have learned, till work, company procedures, time management, merchandising and many other skills which pertain to retail. I have worked my way up the ladder to become Assistant Manager my previous work and have used my skills I have acquired and applied them in my Age UK position. My co-workers I get along with very well and have a great working relationship with staff at all levels. Hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customer but as a professional I have much experience in handling the situation. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the public, interacting with people and making sure they are happy.
Pros
Something new everyday
Cons
Feeling the need to do more to help vunerable customers
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  West KirbySeptember 9, 2016
A typical day would consist of,
>Serving Customers
>Unloading Stock
>Putting Stock On Display
>General Cleaning Duties

I learned how to use a till and also how to be more confident greeting and talking to people who come into the shop.
The management are very friendly and always make your day more enjoyable, and the co-workers are also very kind and welcoming, and I get along very well with them.
The hardest part of the job is always bringing the stock back in because sometimes it can be very difficult to do, but we always push through and get it done.
To me the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and serving the customers, because you get to put a smile on their face.
Pros
Meeting and Talking to new people.
Cons
Bringing heavy stock in.
Fantastic Employer, Positive and Compassionate
Contact Centre Insurance Arranger (Former Employee) –  AshburtonDecember 4, 2015
Couldn't recommend Age UK more. In the two years I was there I experience kindness and friends for life. Superb management from Supervisors, Line managers, Department managers, Area managers and Directors. Everyone gets to know each other on a first name basis.
Well informed of company updates regardless of what sector or department. Great communication for training opportunities. Positive atmosphere, fantastic benefits from parking and free coffee machines, to BUPA healthcare plans and great pension schemes.
I even had a period of poor health during this time needed a MONTH off sick. This was horrific for me and I was petrified about the possible reaction from my employer but there are not enough superlatives in the dictionary to give credit to how wonderful they were. As an employer they were supportive and listened to my care needs. They were non-judgemental and compassionate in ways I could never have expected. I have made some wonderful friends for life in my time at Age UK and if I had to sum them up as employers in one word it would be Respectful
Love working in charity, but...
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  MerseysideJanuary 16, 2016
The work is great, but I've never encountered so much back stabbing and internal politics in my life from the bottom through to top management. You're not supported by management and suggestions aren't welcome. If you choose to work for them, it's vital that you keep your thoughts to yourself.
Pros
Variety of work. Boredom doesn't exist.
Cons
Internal politics
A lovely place to work!
Facilities Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
I have learnt a lot and there is still more to learn. Training and learning on the job is a positive. But I feel some parts of the training needs to be separate rather then at the time of a deadline when mistakes can be made under pressure. Management as a whole need to be open minded and neutral. But I feel my Manager could have been more encouraging. Through my experience the feedback given was meant to be positive but came across as negative and dis-encouraging and confusing to me. I understand constructive feedback is essential and to me balance is key on how you address the information is important regardless. I still think the Company is a great place to work and the spirit was pleasant and yes I would love to go back I miss it the people. I am very blessed and grateful I worked there.
need to keep yourself busy
Retail assistant - Trainee Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  SunderlandAugust 31, 2016
when I worked at age uk, it was usually over staffed with too many volunteers, and the volunteers did not like the vew few paid members of floor staff, however they would generally take over and the management were fine with that. I did gain some experience although I did spend a lot of my time trying to keep myself busy by constantly going over the same stuff, for example: id be constantly checking the bric-a-brac. Making sure everything is where it needs to be, I would also clean the bathrooms upstairs a lot.
Pros
i learned how to use a till properly
Cons
constantly overstaffed by volunteers.
lovely place to work
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  PortsmouthAugust 22, 2016
A typical day at work for me would be going to clients houses doing any housework they needed doing making beds if needed and doing them some lunch or dinner if needed too and a nice friendly chat.
What I learnt at age uk was that elderly people can be vulnerable sometimes and lonley and is nice for them to have someone too talk too, the management and co-workers at age uk were lovely and was always understanding and there if needed. The hardest part of the job is everything every job is hard. the most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends
Pros
bank holidays off
Cons
can have jobs far away
Ex shop manager
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  North westJune 17, 2016
Unfortunately I don't feel ageuk is a good charity to work for. In comparison to 3 others I've managed for, ageuk is not good at looking after and retaining its paid staff. No incentives and no chances of progression. No praise is given for any good work you do. They really do like to put the pressure on you and be warned you can be thrown in at deep end. They don't support you. There are staff that are not abiding by rules and are taking advantage of discounts on stock which is actually for volunteers only. These staff are not disciplined as they have a clique with senior stuff.i think it's disheartening that ageuk is crumbling with its work ethics and poor senior management. It was once a lovely company to work for but not anymore. It's not about money bonus' etc it's just sometimes Thankyou and a bit of support can mean a lot to your paid staff. Not just to your volunteers. I'm a bit sorry that I'm leaving but also glad as my skills and hard work will be appreciated by another charity
Horrorific experience
training assistant (Former Employee) –  YorkshireJanuary 22, 2016
horrendous experience, although I learned alot. some staff were outrightly hostile. I was screamed at aggressively in my face by a so -called colleague. I heard another colleague use racist language (this individual delivered sessions on equality and diversity. There was a very toxic energy and fake positivity and a very gossipy culture, Some very devious snr colleagues would pile their work on to assistants, using the excuse they were behind, snowed under and stressed and then would sit in the manager's office for 5 hours (not kidding) laughing, meanwhile assistants getting behind with their own work. I enjoyed the work itself, but working there I realised something was seriously wrong in this particular centre. Oh yes and you were expected to go above and beyond without the relevant quals and experience, oh and staff would speak to each other cruelly and call it banter...just horrible and felt like i was going crazy working there. very cliquey if your face fits kind of place,
Pros
clients
Cons
non
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  HaverhillJuly 4, 2016
A typical day included helping many customers around the store, the job was hugely rewarding as i got to assist both members of staff as well as potential customers.
As a business student it was great first hand experience of seeing how a small business works. The manager was a great manager as she took a lot f control but she never forgot to be a friend. My co workers were so helpful especially when i had just started and i needed help with the systems. I enjoyed waking up early to attend work. and i firmly believe its the members of staff that make a potential customers shop special.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
n/a
productive
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  CanterburyMay 6, 2016
I find that this Job is a good way to meet with new people and to interact with the other generation and that I have to meet the requirement and needs of the clients in the centre.
This Job is relaxing and layedback because I understand what needs to be done throughout the day and how it needs to the done in a particular way according to the management as this makes it easier for the staff in the kitchen environment.
The centre also takes on community service so we are never short of a helping hand.
The hardest part of this Job would be Working in the summer and the heat as there is not a lot of ventiltaion other than windows.
The easiest part would be Making the food as I have qualifications in this as i know what im doing so I cant make a mistake. Its also encouring me to make new dishes to develop my skills and make an imput into the menu.
Productive workplace
Editorial Project Manager (Current Employee) –  LondonSeptember 1, 2016
I have a strong background in publishing, both within the publishing industry and the charitable sector. I am experienced in managing and providing a full range of in-house communications and marketing services, including editing, design, photography, exhibition materials and print buying. I am experienced in collaborating with different departments and stakeholder groups in order to ascertain their publishing and marketing requirements and advising them as to the best method of communication.
great place to volunteer ,great co-workers the hardest part of the job is lifting furniture upstairs
Customer care (Current Employee) –  Millom, ENGOctober 9, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
voluntery hours
busy, interesting and productive workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  DunstableFebruary 26, 2016
working with Age UK for work experience was more vast and interesting than I expected. I carried out many tasks around the shop such as pricing, tagging and coling; clothes transportation; display and till work; helping both customers and colleagues and organising donations. the hours I worked was from 9am-5pm which suited me fine. I had a very positive and respectful relationships with the other staff and boss.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the clothes rearranging, display work and getting to know the customers. the hardest part was the clothes transportation (newly ironed and tagged clothes being put in shops) between the floors as there was a lot of them and they came in large amounts, which consumed a lot of time and energy and arranging the bric-a-brac as there were a lot of them in different shapes and sizes and little space they could be placed in.

working at Age UK opened my eyes and gave me a more solid insight of charity work and about Age UK itself and having more experience with older adults as they were the main target audience which benefits me greatly.
Pros
half price discounts, regular breaks
Cons
not all hours are as busy depending on the time of day and where people are
enjoyable work
home support (Former Employee) –  Stanford le HopeMay 11, 2016
My job involved visiting the elderly's homes to clean, cook, shop and generally maintain their houses to a good quality.
I enjoyed this job as I find it great working with the older generation as they can teach us a lot, I enjoy listening to them, laughing, but most of all the look on their faces was worth a thousand words as they where greatful someone was taking the time to listen.
The management was ok easy to talk and approach.
The hardest part was walking away from the job which I had to do as the hours dropped really low.
Pros
making a difference to peoples lifes
Cons
loosing clients when they passed away
Age uk
Volunteer work at Age UK (Former Employee) –  HaslingdenApril 14, 2016
I think overall it was a great experience and I loved it. I met new people both young and elderly and I gained work experience at the same time. The people I was working with was very kind and polite and they're personalties shined bright. My family could see a difference in my confidence level I was able to become more confident within myself and help other gain confidence. I lacked knowledge of the work place and now I know what it is like to run the tills, clean the work space and do safety checks. The only thing I didn't get to experience was the wage at the end of it I would happily take on another role like this in a payed work placement. I feel like I have a mature outlook on things I have often been told I have a old head for my shoulders and it is because I want to work I don't want to stay at home or live with family and friends any longer I believe it is time to be independent and get my own place. I feel I am ready to get myself a job .
Pros
Meeting new people and learning new things
Friendly but stressful
Health and social care assessor (Former Employee) –  West YorkshireAugust 30, 2016
The best thing about working at Age UK was the support received from fellow colleagues and management however it was stressful when targets where not met. One thing that I was disappointed about working for Age UK was that there was no training provided despite staff been keen to progress.
Pros
Friendly and professional company
Cons
Finding a balance between work and home
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  ShipleyMarch 2, 2016
Age UK is a productive and fun workplace, a typical day at work will involve steam cleaning unwanted clothes, being involved with customers and generally keeping the workplace neat and tidy.
I learned on my work experience how to use a till, it made me a lot more confident in myself because you have to talk to customers when they come in the shop. My co-workers were very great to work with as we all helped each other out when we needed it. The hardest part of my job was probably the steam cleaning as after a few hours your arms do ache quite a bit. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your gaining an experience but also your working for a charity.
Pros
Free Lunches (£2 towards your lunch)
Lively and Multi cultural
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  HounslowSeptember 14, 2016
Bright and lively place with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Friendly and approachable co-workers. Attending and answering phone calls, talking to people face to face was very Interesting.Gained good customer service and strong admin skills from Age UK.
Pros
Flexibility of time
Great team to work for.
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Portslade-by-SeaSeptember 6, 2016
Typical day:- busy and varied.
Learned:- To be social with customers and team members alike.
Management:- Good to learn from.
Co-Workers:- Fun to be around.
Hardest Part:- Knowing the computer system.
Enjoyable Part:- just a fun enviroment.
Pros
Example:- Lunch and Travel paid for if working more than 6 hours.
Cons
No Cons

2.9