Age UK Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Charity Worker (Former Employee) –  KentMay 15, 2016
Our team was very communicative and fun. The job itself was productive. At the end of the day we all had a felling that we've done a good job. It was very tedious though.
Pros
My boss gave me a lift to work
Cons
Had to wake up very early
very productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  GravesendMay 14, 2016
I found working on the shop floor and on the till very fun and my colleagues were lovely. However due to falling ill I lost the job but overall it was a great workplace.
enjoyable work
home support (Former Employee) –  Stanford le HopeMay 11, 2016
My job involved visiting the elderly's homes to clean, cook, shop and generally maintain their houses to a good quality.
I enjoyed this job as I find it great working with the older generation as they can teach us a lot, I enjoy listening to them, laughing, but most of all the look on their faces was worth a thousand words as they where greatful someone was taking the time to listen.
The management was ok easy to talk and approach.
The hardest part was walking away from the job which I had to do as the hours dropped really low.
Pros
making a difference to peoples lifes
Cons
loosing clients when they passed away
Volunteer
Volunteer - Customer Services and Display (Current Employee) –  BrightonMay 8, 2016
Lovely experience to be a Volunteer in Age UK.
Learned how to management the stock form day to day.
Product display form different type of clothes or accessories.
Team work in a small shop and work with different volunteer.
productive
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  CanterburyMay 6, 2016
I find that this Job is a good way to meet with new people and to interact with the other generation and that I have to meet the requirement and needs of the clients in the centre.
This Job is relaxing and layedback because I understand what needs to be done throughout the day and how it needs to the done in a particular way according to the management as this makes it easier for the staff in the kitchen environment.
The centre also takes on community service so we are never short of a helping hand.
The hardest part of this Job would be Working in the summer and the heat as there is not a lot of ventiltaion other than windows.
The easiest part would be Making the food as I have qualifications in this as i know what im doing so I cant make a mistake. Its also encouring me to make new dishes to develop my skills and make an imput into the menu.
Long hours, no work-life balance
Telecare Sales (Former Employee) –  variousMay 5, 2016
Stressful long days at work
Lack of support from management
Most enjoyed meeting a variety of some very nice people
Found the work rewarding as I was helping people
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Long hours driving long distances on a daily basis
Productive and a nice place to volunteer
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  West BromwichApril 25, 2016
I have learnt a lot of stuff about Age UK such as organising Merchandise (DVDs, CDs, clothes and books and toys), cleaning, helping customers with enquires, making refreshments for other volunteers and shifting stock to one place to anther.
Pros
leave at any time you want
Cons
very busy
fun workplace
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster Gate StationApril 24, 2016
Voluntary only, Was a 6 month course involving the Duke of Edinburgh bronze award. was needed to be completed to pass.

Things I learnt was discounts and organizing.
Age uk
Volunteer work at Age UK (Former Employee) –  HaslingdenApril 14, 2016
I think overall it was a great experience and I loved it. I met new people both young and elderly and I gained work experience at the same time. The people I was working with was very kind and polite and they're personalties shined bright. My family could see a difference in my confidence level I was able to become more confident within myself and help other gain confidence. I lacked knowledge of the work place and now I know what it is like to run the tills, clean the work space and do safety checks. The only thing I didn't get to experience was the wage at the end of it I would happily take on another role like this in a payed work placement. I feel like I have a mature outlook on things I have often been told I have a old head for my shoulders and it is because I want to work I don't want to stay at home or live with family and friends any longer I believe it is time to be independent and get my own place. I feel I am ready to get myself a job .
Pros
Meeting new people and learning new things
lovely people
I currently volunteer (Current Employee) –  BarnsleyMarch 23, 2016
I really like the volentry work would love a payed job with Ageuk,but I think they are hard to come by.staff are allways friendly good company to work for.
Pros
great to work for
Cons
nothing at all bad to say
productive and fun work place.
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  RoytonMarch 16, 2016
I found that age uk offered a high quality standard to meet staff and customers needs. the way age uk was expected to work alongside its customers was very effective and highly appropriate for the customers and members of staff that worked there.
Friendly team of Staff, Good Work ethic.
Part Time Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon HullMarch 15, 2016
A friendly team of staff, Staff discounts and a chance to be useful again after been unemployed for eight months.

Chance to learn new skills, Serve the community, and give something up for a worthy cause.
Pros
Staff Discount, Chance to learn new skills, Get back into a working environment.
Cons
No Pay .
Good working environment and team led
Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  BarnsleyMarch 9, 2016
A good learner led organisation, teaching and learning a variety of learners to excel within the workplace and for there self's.
Pros
Development of learners
Cons
Out of hours work
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  ShipleyMarch 2, 2016
Age UK is a productive and fun workplace, a typical day at work will involve steam cleaning unwanted clothes, being involved with customers and generally keeping the workplace neat and tidy.
I learned on my work experience how to use a till, it made me a lot more confident in myself because you have to talk to customers when they come in the shop. My co-workers were very great to work with as we all helped each other out when we needed it. The hardest part of my job was probably the steam cleaning as after a few hours your arms do ache quite a bit. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your gaining an experience but also your working for a charity.
Pros
Free Lunches (£2 towards your lunch)
Exellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  EnfieldMarch 1, 2016
I would meet and greet the client group. Some would be arriving, looking for advice. Others would have an appointment with the Footcare clinic. Others wold be asking for works to be done.
I would answer the telephone and monitor all calls/visitors to Age UK
I would liaise with senior staff in person/telephone/e.mail.
I enjoyed working on the frontline, it could be challenging, but that was ok
Enjoyabe and enourashing work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  GosportFebruary 28, 2016
Typical day is learning on the job new challenges to analyse and overcome, greeting and meeting customers, making sure their needs are met and are satisfied. I have learned, till work, company procedures, time management, merchandising and many other skills which pertain to retail. I have worked my way up the ladder to become Assistant Manager my previous work and have used my skills I have acquired and applied them in my Age UK position. My co-workers I get along with very well and have a great working relationship with staff at all levels. Hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customer but as a professional I have much experience in handling the situation. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the public, interacting with people and making sure they are happy.
Pros
Something new everyday
Cons
Feeling the need to do more to help vunerable customers
busy, interesting and productive workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  DunstableFebruary 26, 2016
working with Age UK for work experience was more vast and interesting than I expected. I carried out many tasks around the shop such as pricing, tagging and coling; clothes transportation; display and till work; helping both customers and colleagues and organising donations. the hours I worked was from 9am-5pm which suited me fine. I had a very positive and respectful relationships with the other staff and boss.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the clothes rearranging, display work and getting to know the customers. the hardest part was the clothes transportation (newly ironed and tagged clothes being put in shops) between the floors as there was a lot of them and they came in large amounts, which consumed a lot of time and energy and arranging the bric-a-brac as there were a lot of them in different shapes and sizes and little space they could be placed in.

working at Age UK opened my eyes and gave me a more solid insight of charity work and about Age UK itself and having more experience with older adults as they were the main target audience which benefits me greatly.
Pros
half price discounts, regular breaks
Cons
not all hours are as busy depending on the time of day and where people are
great
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  HalesowenFebruary 24, 2016
worked in the kitchen, and as it was my first job, and got the chance to learn working with elderly people, and what their needs were.

Management was understanding.

Staff was very helpful
A very friendly place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  WiganFebruary 19, 2016
Age uk in Ashton is a great way to get experience for retail work. It is a very freindly shop. The Manager lynn is one ov the best people you can work for.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heavy lifting occasionaly
Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  PortsmouthFebruary 9, 2016
A typical Saturday and Sunday are fun at work. However, I am looking for paid job, this is because I like to be independent, look after myself, be happy, save up and not rely on anyone for money.