Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun workplace
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee), Lancaster Gate StationApril 24, 2016
Voluntary only, Was a 6 month course involving the Duke of Edinburgh bronze award. was needed to be completed to pass.

Things I learnt was discounts and organizing.
Age uk
Volunteer work at Age UK (Former Employee), HaslingdenApril 14, 2016
Pros: Meeting new people and learning new things
I think overall it was a great experience and I loved it. I met new people both young and elderly and I gained work experience at the same time. The people I was working with was very kind and polite and they're personalties shined bright. My family could see a difference in my confidence level I was able to become more confident within myself and help other gain confidence. I lacked knowledge of the work place and now I know what it is like to run the tills, clean the work space and do safety checks. The only thing I didn't get to experience was the wage at the end of it I would happily take on another role like this in a payed work placement. I feel like I have a mature outlook on things I have often been told I have a old head for my shoulders and it is because I want to work I don't want to stay at home or live with family and friends any longer I believe it is time to be independent and get my own place. I feel I am ready to get myself a job .
lovely people
I currently volunteer (Current Employee), BarnsleyMarch 23, 2016
Pros: great to work for
Cons: nothing at all bad to say
I really like the volentry work would love a payed job with Ageuk,but I think they are hard to come by.staff are allways friendly good company to work for.
productive and fun work place.
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee), RoytonMarch 16, 2016
I found that age uk offered a high quality standard to meet staff and customers needs. the way age uk was expected to work alongside its customers was very effective and highly appropriate for the customers and members of staff that worked there.
Friendly team of Staff, Good Work ethic.
Part Time Volunteer (Current Employee), Kingston upon HullMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Staff Discount, Chance to learn new skills, Get back into a working environment.
Cons: No Pay .
A friendly team of staff, Staff discounts and a chance to be useful again after been unemployed for eight months.

Chance to learn new skills, Serve the community, and give something up for a worthy cause.
Good working environment and team led
Training Instructor (Current Employee), BarnsleyMarch 9, 2016
Pros: Development of learners
Cons: Out of hours work
A good learner led organisation, teaching and learning a variety of learners to excel within the workplace and for there self's.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee), ShipleyMarch 2, 2016
Pros: Free Lunches (£2 towards your lunch)
Age UK is a productive and fun workplace, a typical day at work will involve steam cleaning unwanted clothes, being involved with customers and generally keeping the workplace neat and tidy.
I learned on my work experience how to use a till, it made me a lot more confident in myself because you have to talk to customers when they come in the shop. My co-workers were very great to work with as we all helped each other out when we needed it. The hardest part of my job was probably the steam cleaning as after a few hours your arms do ache quite a bit. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your gaining an experience but also your working for a charity.
Exellent
Receptionist (Former Employee), EnfieldMarch 1, 2016
I would meet and greet the client group. Some would be arriving, looking for advice. Others would have an appointment with the Footcare clinic. Others wold be asking for works to be done.
I would answer the telephone and monitor all calls/visitors to Age UK
I would liaise with senior staff in person/telephone/e.mail.
I enjoyed working on the frontline, it could be challenging, but that was ok
Enjoyabe and enourashing work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee), GosportFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Something new everyday
Cons: Feeling the need to do more to help vunerable customers
Typical day is learning on the job new challenges to analyse and overcome, greeting and meeting customers, making sure their needs are met and are satisfied. I have learned, till work, company procedures, time management, merchandising and many other skills which pertain to retail. I have worked my way up the ladder to become Assistant Manager my previous work and have used my skills I have acquired and applied them in my Age UK position. My co-workers I get along with very well and have a great working relationship with staff at all levels. Hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customer but as a professional I have much experience in handling the situation. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the public, interacting with people and making sure they are happy.
busy, interesting and productive workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), DunstableFebruary 26, 2016
Pros: half price discounts, regular breaks
Cons: not all hours are as busy depending on the time of day and where people are
working with Age UK for work experience was more vast and interesting than I expected. I carried out many tasks around the shop such as pricing, tagging and coling; clothes transportation; display and till work; helping both customers and colleagues and organising donations. the hours I worked was from 9am-5pm which suited me fine. I had a very positive and respectful relationships with the other staff and boss.

the most enjoyable part of the job was the clothes rearranging, display work and getting to know the customers. the hardest part was the clothes transportation (newly ironed and tagged clothes being put in shops) between the floors as there was a lot of them and they came in large amounts, which consumed a lot of time and energy and arranging the bric-a-brac as there were a lot of them in different shapes and sizes and little space they could be placed in.

working at Age UK opened my eyes and gave me a more solid insight of charity work and about Age UK itself and having more experience with older adults as they were the main target audience which benefits me greatly.
great
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee), HalesowenFebruary 24, 2016
worked in the kitchen, and as it was my first job, and got the chance to learn working with elderly people, and what their needs were.

Management was understanding.

Staff was very helpful
A very friendly place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee), WiganFebruary 19, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: heavy lifting occasionaly
Age uk in Ashton is a great way to get experience for retail work. It is a very freindly shop. The Manager lynn is one ov the best people you can work for.
Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), PortsmouthFebruary 9, 2016
A typical Saturday and Sunday are fun at work. However, I am looking for paid job, this is because I like to be independent, look after myself, be happy, save up and not rely on anyone for money.
Awesome
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), DarlingtonFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: great feeling
Cons: not enough time in the day
Pure awsome place to work/volunteer at. Meeting new and different people every day. The part about this job was helping the charity with gaining more items from donations from the general public to sell.
I enjoy meeting people and having a satifying day.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, Lincs.February 2, 2016
Operating the till at customer checkout, processing card and cash sales using a touch screen till and scanner. This involved providing the highest standard of customer care and service, assisting with enquiries, packing customer shopping and helping in any other area’s needed.
Rewarding and good fun
Befriender/Walk from home volunteer (Current Employee), Bradford, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
I spend time with clients chatting and going walking, trying to build up their confidence. occasionally doing some cleaning around the home
enjoyable workplace
Sunday Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Letchworth, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work varied from shift to shift. I gained independence and confidence through working for Age UK. I mainly worked alongside volunteers who help you have a productive, fun day.
Horrorific experience
training assistant (Former Employee), YorkshireJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: clients
Cons: non
horrendous experience, although I learned alot. some staff were outrightly hostile. I was screamed at aggressively in my face by a so -called colleague. I heard another colleague use racist language (this individual delivered sessions on equality and diversity. There was a very toxic energy and fake positivity and a very gossipy culture, Some very devious snr colleagues would pile their work on to assistants, using the excuse they were behind, snowed under and stressed and then would sit in the manager's office for 5 hours (not kidding) laughing, meanwhile assistants getting behind with their own work. I enjoyed the work itself, but working there I realised something was seriously wrong in this particular centre. Oh yes and you were expected to go above and beyond without the relevant quals and experience, oh and staff would speak to each other cruelly and call it banter...just horrible and felt like i was going crazy working there. very cliquey if your face fits kind of place,
Productive, engaging and a very descent workplace.
Voluntary General Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Leeds, ENGJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at the Age UK charity shop involved the organisation and replenishing of stock; communicating effectively and warmly with staff and customers; managing the tilt and ensuring that the shop itself was clean and presentable to customers.
A lovely place to work!
Facilities Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee), London, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
I have learnt a lot and there is still more to learn. Training and learning on the job is a positive. But I feel some parts of the training needs to be separate rather then at the time of a deadline when mistakes can be made under pressure. Management as a whole need to be open minded and neutral. But I feel my Manager could have been more encouraging. Through my experience the feedback given was meant to be positive but came across as negative and dis-encouraging and confusing to me. I understand constructive feedback is essential and to me balance is key on how you address the information is important regardless. I still think the Company is a great place to work and the spirit was pleasant and yes I would love to go back I miss it the people. I am very blessed and grateful I worked there.