Age UK Employee Reviews

enjoyable work
home support (Former Employee) –  Stanford le HopeMay 11, 2016
My job involved visiting the elderly's homes to clean, cook, shop and generally maintain their houses to a good quality.
I enjoyed this job as I find it great working with the older generation as they can teach us a lot, I enjoy listening to them, laughing, but most of all the look on their faces was worth a thousand words as they where greatful someone was taking the time to listen.
The management was ok easy to talk and approach.
The hardest part was walking away from the job which I had to do as the hours dropped really low.
Pros
making a difference to peoples lifes
Cons
loosing clients when they passed away
Fun Workplace
Retail (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-LyneMay 20, 2016
When I first Started to volunteer at Age UK I was taught how to use a till which was my first experience for retail I've also learned about re-stocking items and how the products we sell should look like. My Boss is very friendly and is always working hard to help us with any struggles we have. All of my co workers are very friendly and are helpful towards customers.
Pros
Customer interaction
Cons
Slow Days
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  North MoretonMay 27, 2016
Age UK ( July 2013 )

Duties included; managing stock, updating work logs, assisting customers, general housekeeping, handling money. I also worked alongside fellow employees to ensure that excellent customer service was maintained as well as working independently. At the end of my time, I was praised on my attitude towards work and commitment to tasks.
Pros
lovely staff
productive
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  CanterburyMay 6, 2016
I find that this Job is a good way to meet with new people and to interact with the other generation and that I have to meet the requirement and needs of the clients in the centre.
This Job is relaxing and layedback because I understand what needs to be done throughout the day and how it needs to the done in a particular way according to the management as this makes it easier for the staff in the kitchen environment.
The centre also takes on community service so we are never short of a helping hand.
The hardest part of this Job would be Working in the summer and the heat as there is not a lot of ventiltaion other than windows.
The easiest part would be Making the food as I have qualifications in this as i know what im doing so I cant make a mistake. Its also encouring me to make new dishes to develop my skills and make an imput into the menu.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  ShipleyMarch 2, 2016
Age UK is a productive and fun workplace, a typical day at work will involve steam cleaning unwanted clothes, being involved with customers and generally keeping the workplace neat and tidy.
I learned on my work experience how to use a till, it made me a lot more confident in myself because you have to talk to customers when they come in the shop. My co-workers were very great to work with as we all helped each other out when we needed it. The hardest part of my job was probably the steam cleaning as after a few hours your arms do ache quite a bit. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your gaining an experience but also your working for a charity.
Pros
Free Lunches (£2 towards your lunch)
Exellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  EnfieldMarch 1, 2016
I would meet and greet the client group. Some would be arriving, looking for advice. Others would have an appointment with the Footcare clinic. Others wold be asking for works to be done.
I would answer the telephone and monitor all calls/visitors to Age UK
I would liaise with senior staff in person/telephone/e.mail.
I enjoyed working on the frontline, it could be challenging, but that was ok
Productive and a nice place to volunteer
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  West BromwichApril 25, 2016
I have learnt a lot of stuff about Age UK such as organising Merchandise (DVDs, CDs, clothes and books and toys), cleaning, helping customers with enquires, making refreshments for other volunteers and shifting stock to one place to anther.
Pros
leave at any time you want
Cons
very busy
Mundane at times
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJune 24, 2016
It was relatively boring at times, this was mostly through the shop not always having customers to help so sometimes there was nothing really to do. Another problem was that they began to teach me how to use a till however halfway through training I was told I was too young to operate a till.
Friendly team of Staff, Good Work ethic.
Part Time Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon HullMarch 15, 2016
A friendly team of staff, Staff discounts and a chance to be useful again after been unemployed for eight months.

Chance to learn new skills, Serve the community, and give something up for a worthy cause.
Pros
Staff Discount, Chance to learn new skills, Get back into a working environment.
Cons
No Pay .
Good company to work for.
Age UK walk from Home and befriending volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
Age UK is a good company to work for but it isn't my dream job, I would like to look after the elderly and people suffering from Dementia in a nursing home environment, I do not regret volunteering for Age UK at all, it's one of the best things I have ever done, it has boosted my confidence so much.
Pros
Working hours that work round you, meeting new people, free events to attend
Cons
The journey to your clients house if you don't drive.
Enjoyabe and enourashing work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  GosportFebruary 28, 2016
Typical day is learning on the job new challenges to analyse and overcome, greeting and meeting customers, making sure their needs are met and are satisfied. I have learned, till work, company procedures, time management, merchandising and many other skills which pertain to retail. I have worked my way up the ladder to become Assistant Manager my previous work and have used my skills I have acquired and applied them in my Age UK position. My co-workers I get along with very well and have a great working relationship with staff at all levels. Hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customer but as a professional I have much experience in handling the situation. Most enjoyable part is dealing with the public, interacting with people and making sure they are happy.
Pros
Something new everyday
Cons
Feeling the need to do more to help vunerable customers
Ex shop manager
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  North westJune 17, 2016
Unfortunately I don't feel ageuk is a good charity to work for. In comparison to 3 others I've managed for, ageuk is not good at looking after and retaining its paid staff. No incentives and no chances of progression. No praise is given for any good work you do. They really do like to put the pressure on you and be warned you can be thrown in at deep end. They don't support you. There are staff that are not abiding by rules and are taking advantage of discounts on stock which is actually for volunteers only. These staff are not disciplined as they have a clique with senior stuff.i think it's disheartening that ageuk is crumbling with its work ethics and poor senior management. It was once a lovely company to work for but not anymore. It's not about money bonus' etc it's just sometimes Thankyou and a bit of support can mean a lot to your paid staff. Not just to your volunteers. I'm a bit sorry that I'm leaving but also glad as my skills and hard work will be appreciated by another charity
A lovely place to work!
Facilities Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
I have learnt a lot and there is still more to learn. Training and learning on the job is a positive. But I feel some parts of the training needs to be separate rather then at the time of a deadline when mistakes can be made under pressure. Management as a whole need to be open minded and neutral. But I feel my Manager could have been more encouraging. Through my experience the feedback given was meant to be positive but came across as negative and dis-encouraging and confusing to me. I understand constructive feedback is essential and to me balance is key on how you address the information is important regardless. I still think the Company is a great place to work and the spirit was pleasant and yes I would love to go back I miss it the people. I am very blessed and grateful I worked there.
Age uk Sunderland
Shop assistant placement (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, ENGJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day would be sorting the clothes out,tagging the clothes and putting on the shop floor. I learnt how to tag the clothes, I got on well with the manager and the co-workers the hardest part of th job was not doing much, The most enjoyable part was sorting the clothes out and tagging them.
Pros
the pros was learning how to tag the clothes
Cons
cons was not doing much
Age uk
Volunteer work at Age UK (Former Employee) –  HaslingdenApril 14, 2016
I think overall it was a great experience and I loved it. I met new people both young and elderly and I gained work experience at the same time. The people I was working with was very kind and polite and they're personalties shined bright. My family could see a difference in my confidence level I was able to become more confident within myself and help other gain confidence. I lacked knowledge of the work place and now I know what it is like to run the tills, clean the work space and do safety checks. The only thing I didn't get to experience was the wage at the end of it I would happily take on another role like this in a payed work placement. I feel like I have a mature outlook on things I have often been told I have a old head for my shoulders and it is because I want to work I don't want to stay at home or live with family and friends any longer I believe it is time to be independent and get my own place. I feel I am ready to get myself a job .
Pros
Meeting new people and learning new things
Long hours, no work-life balance
Telecare Sales (Former Employee) –  variousMay 5, 2016
Stressful long days at work
Lack of support from management
Most enjoyed meeting a variety of some very nice people
Found the work rewarding as I was helping people
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Long hours driving long distances on a daily basis
Love working in charity, but...
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  MerseysideJanuary 16, 2016
The work is great, but I've never encountered so much back stabbing and internal politics in my life from the bottom through to top management. You're not supported by management and suggestions aren't welcome. If you choose to work for them, it's vital that you keep your thoughts to yourself.
Pros
Variety of work. Boredom doesn't exist.
Cons
Internal politics
I enjoy meeting people and having a satifying day.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, Lincs.February 2, 2016
Operating the till at customer checkout, processing card and cash sales using a touch screen till and scanner. This involved providing the highest standard of customer care and service, assisting with enquiries, packing customer shopping and helping in any other area’s needed.
Volunteer
Volunteer - Customer Services and Display (Current Employee) –  BrightonMay 8, 2016
Lovely experience to be a Volunteer in Age UK.
Learned how to management the stock form day to day.
Product display form different type of clothes or accessories.
Team work in a small shop and work with different volunteer.
productive and fun work place.
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  RoytonMarch 16, 2016
I found that age uk offered a high quality standard to meet staff and customers needs. the way age uk was expected to work alongside its customers was very effective and highly appropriate for the customers and members of staff that worked there.