Age UK

Age UK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Harding work, satisfying and fun.
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Polegate, ENGJune 29, 2015
Pros: No set break times. You could make a drink when you wanted one.
Cons: Long hours with never a full lunch break.
I enjoyed working at Age Uk and over the 5 years that I was employed I worked under 4 Managers. They all had different ideas how to run the shop and how to make money, but the most important factor about all of them was that they loved their job and had a great desire and dedication to make as much money as possible for the charity to help vulnerable people.

I learnt how to deal with all different sorts of people of all ages and backgrounds and how to work as part of a team and to delegate where possible. I also learnt how important a charity shop is for raising money and awareness of peoples plights and difficulties.

A typical day would be arriving at the shop and putting the float in the till ready to open up. I would then put the kettle on and wait for the other paid members of staff to arrive and the volunteers who were on duty that day. We would open the shop door to welcome in customers and then proceed to sort through donations bags. We would find suitable items for selling, then label and price them for the shop floor. Any things not suitable to sell would go for recycling.
I would then check the stock what was on display and order things in
which the Charity bought to make sure we had enough availability.

In the afternoon I would cash up the till and do all the relevant bank paperwork and then go to the bank and deposit the takings.

My co-workers were people who generally had a passion for the charity and raising money was just as important as being paid.

To me the hardest part was not being able to sell certain items because of regulations, which – more... meant they would have to be recycled or thrown away and very little profit was made.

The most enjoyable part was meeting the volunteers and customers and also trying to encourage people to sign up for 'Gift Aid' which I think is a marvellous idea. We would also have competitions to see who could make the most money on a Saturday and was given a certain free hand at reducing stock to encourage people to buy. – less
Very difficult to please
Temporary Administrator (Former Employee), Penkridge, ENGJune 24, 2015
Pros: Charity who look after the elderly.
Cons: Not really temporary-staff friendly.
A typical day was never set, and changes, despite you already planning your work week out because your colleague wasn't willing to communicate with you. Your boss was always changing her mind, and making your efforts seem futile. Your female colleagues didn't like having a male in their ranks, because they felt you lacked their compassionate natures. Enjoyable bit was leaving a hot office, and go and see potential volunteers.
Personal Assistant
Voluntary Receptionist and administrator support (Former Employee), Borough Station, ENGJune 17, 2015
Pros: outcome and friends
Cons: hours absorbed
The role was to provide administration support to a planning objection which the community as a whole communicated that they wanted to object the application planning permission. A large Scale project with detrimental impact to the community.
Communicating the wider views of the community to potential financial streams i.e the big lottery, waste management companies, council, MP's, peel holdings.
The hardest part of the role was the time spent on unravelling the interested parties, gathering information and disseminating it to the campaigners and the community.
Lifelong friends were created along with a more cohesive community as ownership was achieved to prevent a local impact and detriment to residents.
productive
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGJune 14, 2015
Pros: good staff
Cons: half hour dinner time
go in sort stock and start stocking shelves with items that were tag and priced serve customers when shop was open or stayed in back room when shop was open tagging clothes ready to be steamed,general day to day duties and operating a till and a steamer.friendly co workers easy to have a laugh the enjoyable part to job was being able to have a laugh with customers and staff.
great workplace to start out in retail enviourment
Shop Assistant/Volunteer (Current Employee), KidderminsterJune 12, 2015
Pros: Travel reinbursed and lunch time getting treated like part of the family
Cons: Long hours
A typical day at work would be like any other day when you have to serve customers and do other tasks at the same time.
I learned all about using the till and using a credit/debit card machine and also gained over three years of customer service, but the main thing I learnt from it was that a retail work enviourment was the place where I wanted too work the most as I felt comfortable and relaxed with everyone who worked/volunteered there and were like a family to me.
The management there was brilliant as they really treated you like one of the family and not like someone who just came to volunteer there for a while.
My co-workers were all very polite and well behaved and there was no discrimination towards anyone and they all respected of whatever type of background you had.
The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that it was long hours but I managed to get through it and come out on the positive side of it all and learn to deal with it.
The most enjoyable part of the job must of been when I was talking to customers and knowing the I had done my job for them personally and them also telling me that I was doing my job as a volunteer as well which was really nice of them.
I would recommend too anyone that is a great place to volunteer at if they maybe thought about doing some voluntary work at all.
enjoyable rewarding
Retail Assistant (Current Employee), bradfrodJune 8, 2015
working for a charity as a volunteer for the next 20 weeks
very enjoyable and rewarding working for a charity and I have refreshed a lot of skills
good
Home careworker Parttime (Former Employee), newcastleJune 1, 2015
Cons: long hours
Lovely cmpany to work for, recieved travel time, good hours and extra hours needed, even though my contracts 0 hours i am guaranteed more hours
Job Satisfaction
Bank Support Worker (Former Employee), Knaresborough UKJune 1, 2015
Pros: work around family
Cons: Pay
Start in the morning with visiting my first client, each client was individual, and had individual needs. Check that they are ok and do as what their care plan states, administering medication, preparing meals, taking to day clubs,doctors etc. check food in fridge to see if all is ok, sign care plan to state that you have visited and that you had administered meds, before leaving have a chat and make sure all is ok. Set off via car to next client and follow their individual care plan. had to make sure that i left each client within time so as to get to my next. Working independently but communicating with the office if any issues or concerns had arisen. The hardest part of the job was getting to each client within the time scale, and the most enjoyable part of the job was making sure that the client was ok and seeing the smile on their faces when they had company.
really nice place to work
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee), Lincoln, ENGMay 29, 2015
Pros: half an hour to an hour for lunch
Cons: on your feet all day
lovely people there that you work with and the management is great too really easy to talk too. great hours i went in at 9:00 left at 5:00 for 4 days a week really enjoyed it
Very good workplace
Consultant (Former Employee), Fulham, ENGMay 21, 2015
The hardest part about the job is that everyday is something different in the workplace. I have learnt to be humble as I saw people that didn't have anything.
Productive and Fun Place
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGMay 19, 2015
Pros: I had a locker to place in all my belongings. I was able to have however long I wanted for my lunch, and I could go whenever.
Cons: It was really far from my home, and it was expensive getting there and back everyday.
My shift would usually start at 9:00am, so because I lived in Bradford I would have to usually set off around 7:30am, to get to the train station as the shop was in Saltaire, and my shift would end at 5:00pm.

My skills within the team work area increased. The staff was very friendly and I was able to get along with them straight away.

The hardest part of the job was that I was usually on the floor alone (which i didn't mind) but a member of staff would only come down if somebody was purchasing something as I was unable to use the till (I didn't know why)/

The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends, and talking to the public. People would come into the shop and greet me straight away which made me feel really happy.
A good fun place
Sales Assistant (Work placement) (Former Employee), Leicester, ENGMay 16, 2015
Cons: Very hard working enviroment
Management are brilliant to work with and other volunteers. I would not want to work there fulltime very demanding work place.
Caring and support for the elderly
Bus driver (Former Employee), FalmouthMay 9, 2015
Pros: job satisfaction
My role was typically driving a small coach to collect and return home older people to and from the day centre. Every client is an individual with their own needs. Some are considerable and some virtually none. To offer such a service to this section of the community is rewarding and enjoyable and left me with a "feel good" sense. The hardest part of the role was not doing more. The other members of staff work under considerable pressure but provide an excellent service
productive work place
Customer service (Former Employee), Beverley, ENGMay 5, 2015
Great place to work, lovely friendly people in the environment which makes it more friendly learnt lots a thing which was great
Flexible hours
Home help support worker (Current Employee), Blackpool, ENGApril 17, 2015
The hours are flexible, which is a benefit of the job because the hours fit around other commitments e.g. taking children to school.
warehouse work
Stock Assistant (Former Employee), Oxford, ENGApril 12, 2015
enjoyed the days and had a lot of fun meeting new people. picked up same new skills and advice. the work gave me new skills and the co worker was good to work with. there was no hard part to the job, meeting people.
good work place
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee), Newark-on-Trent, ENGMarch 20, 2015
Pros: helping people
Cons: not enough hours
A work day at Age UK is good and well pleasing, I have learnt a lot from working there such as: how to use a till, Stock take good customer service. Co-workers are easy to get along with which make the job easier. The hardest part of the job is stock taking as you must not make a mistake while doing it. The most enjoyable thing about doing the job i do is making the customers happy.
Worthwhile with terrific feedback
Voluntary Software Teacher (Current Employee), Reading LibraryMarch 10, 2015
The most worthwhile job that I have ever done where everybody says thank you more times each day than received in most jobs per year.
Enjoyable Environment
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), PurleyMarch 9, 2015
I was responsible for delivering a friendly and hospitable service within a busy retail environment. I fully participated to provide an active role towards a positive customer experience hence driving sales.
skills advancements
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Lowestoft, ENGMarch 4, 2015
Pros: skills gained
Cons: no pay
I go in and work on thing like steaming equipment and working on the till.
I do a lot of work out the back of the shop sorting out the stock,dateing stock,checking stock to see if ok to sell.

1 2 3 4 5

Age UK Photos

Would love to work with the elderly in  London