Age UK Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  PeterboroughAugust 26, 2016
At AGE UK the environment there helps you be more productive and cheerfuller, I especially liked helping customer in any way I could. working here was a great start to my customer service career.
Very enjoyable place to work
Retail/Stores assistant ( 6 week work experience ) (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-TeesAugust 23, 2016
A typical day would be to sort bags of clothing, put a price tag on them then put them on the right hanger ready to be taken down into the shop below ready for sale. The management team were all very helpful as well as all the rest of the volunteers.
Pros
the work was enjoyable
lovely place to work
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  PortsmouthAugust 22, 2016
A typical day at work for me would be going to clients houses doing any housework they needed doing making beds if needed and doing them some lunch or dinner if needed too and a nice friendly chat.
What I learnt at age uk was that elderly people can be vulnerable sometimes and lonley and is nice for them to have someone too talk too, the management and co-workers at age uk were lovely and was always understanding and there if needed. The hardest part of the job is everything every job is hard. the most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends
Pros
bank holidays off
Cons
can have jobs far away
Flexible and positive workplace
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  LiverpoolAugust 16, 2016
Flexible, good working environment and I always got on with customers and the staff in the shop. Definitely would have taken on a permanent paid role in the store.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lack of activity
good 2 weeks
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon HullAugust 4, 2016
for the 2 weeks i was there it was good i was helped in what i needed help with but also was able to be left to get on with the job in hand independently
Pros
good staff
Cons
it flooded
Fun Work Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  WirralAugust 1, 2016
They respect all employees and help meet not only what we want but what the customers want aswell. I enjoyed AGE UK. It was really good work.
Fun place to work.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJuly 22, 2016
It's a fun place to work, you get to meet lots of new and fun people. every day is different but that's a good thing. It can be quiet at times but there's always stuff for you to do.
Pros
Fun place to be
Cons
It can get very quiet sometimes.
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  HarlowJuly 11, 2016
I am glad I have the experience working in Age UK as I had great fun and was very enjoyable. I wish I could of has more experience and time working at Age UK, but I was more looking at paid employment rather than volunteering.
Poor Management
Independent Living Support Worker (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge WellsJuly 5, 2016
Zero hours contracts which do not allow for budgeting and which show a lack of commitment to staff. No supervision by management in a year. High staff turnover
Pros
Some flexibility
Cons
Zero hours contracts
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  HaverhillJuly 4, 2016
A typical day included helping many customers around the store, the job was hugely rewarding as i got to assist both members of staff as well as potential customers.
As a business student it was great first hand experience of seeing how a small business works. The manager was a great manager as she took a lot f control but she never forgot to be a friend. My co workers were so helpful especially when i had just started and i needed help with the systems. I enjoyed waking up early to attend work. and i firmly believe its the members of staff that make a potential customers shop special.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
n/a
Brilliant place to do work experience
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Chester Le StreetJune 29, 2016
Shifts are usually 9-4 or 10-5 3 to 4 days a week if you are doing work experience there which is what I was doing there before I started volunteering.

Your duties will include rotating stock, working on the till, Helping out customers, Steaming clothing, Hanging and stapling on the labels for the manager or assistant manager to write a price onto it.

The management team is amazing with Audrey as the Manager and Christine as the assistant manager they couldn't make a better team if they tried.

The most frustrating part of the job was rotating the stock because the moment you thought you were done with it more came across to be rotated. So although that part can get slightly annoying it doesn't mean they aren't worth volunteering for.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working on the till being able to greet and help the customers making sure they leave with a smile on there face.

I learnt while working there Till skills, Team building skills, Communication skills as well as them helping with my confident tremendously.

The co-workers you have there are amazing this includes some of the managements family/friends and others who volunteer there. You might get some people you don't like but if this happens and you feel like you might have an issue do not feel ashamed to talk to the manager/assistant manager as they will always be there to support you.
Pros
£3 Lunch, Travel expenses paid, Flexible hours, Caring staff
Cons
There is no cons about working here as far as I could see
Mundane at times
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJune 24, 2016
It was relatively boring at times, this was mostly through the shop not always having customers to help so sometimes there was nothing really to do. Another problem was that they began to teach me how to use a till however halfway through training I was told I was too young to operate a till.
Ex shop manager
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  North westJune 17, 2016
Unfortunately I don't feel ageuk is a good charity to work for. In comparison to 3 others I've managed for, ageuk is not good at looking after and retaining its paid staff. No incentives and no chances of progression. No praise is given for any good work you do. They really do like to put the pressure on you and be warned you can be thrown in at deep end. They don't support you. There are staff that are not abiding by rules and are taking advantage of discounts on stock which is actually for volunteers only. These staff are not disciplined as they have a clique with senior stuff.i think it's disheartening that ageuk is crumbling with its work ethics and poor senior management. It was once a lovely company to work for but not anymore. It's not about money bonus' etc it's just sometimes Thankyou and a bit of support can mean a lot to your paid staff. Not just to your volunteers. I'm a bit sorry that I'm leaving but also glad as my skills and hard work will be appreciated by another charity
Very friendly environment
Age UK Volunteer (Former Employee) –  ReadingJune 9, 2016
It was an extremely pleasant part-time experience and really helped me to develop as a person. The co-volunteers were very lovely and welcoming.
fun and always something to do
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  RothwellJune 8, 2016
it was fun to work in, the other employees were very helpful and kind.customers were easy to get on with, and never ran out of something to do
Good work place
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  SolihullJune 8, 2016
I was only here for a short period but I feel i gained a lot of experience as i was behind a till most days and handling cash and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Fun work place
Rewarding and friendly workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  SheffieldJune 6, 2016
Volunteering here was a lovely experience- it was very rewarding and has allowed me to improve my communication skills as well as learning how to use a till and organise stock efficiently.
Age uk
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  SouthamptonJune 3, 2016
When i was working as a volunteer at AGE UK i was doing customer service which i have excellent skills at,i was on till with good cash&customer services again,also i sorted stock department out
Cons
9-5
Friendly Environment
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  LeicesterMay 31, 2016
Great friendly place to work. Easy to communicate with colleagues. Always busy. I work my own hours - flexible. Busfares refunded.
Pros
Part Time
liked working meet a lot of new people
would work with older people (Current Employee) –  ChatterisMay 29, 2016
I love meeting new people love to talk to older people honest hardwork cleaning cookers in would clean and anything 4 other people
Pros
could have meal
Cons
haveing to clean cookers

2.9