AGAT Laboratories

AGAT Laboratories Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
AGAT
Environmental Chemistry Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: the work, tasks
Cons: salary
The company is good but has a little opportunities for advancement in the area am interested in.

I have learned to be efficient in a fast space laboratory work, I have earned more critical skills, problem solving/troubleshooting, and understand more the team work importance.
The team at AGAT is wonderful and we support each other daily to have quality – more... results and a good work environment.

the hardest part of the job is when a major problem, like instruments failure, it can be challenging at the time because the work flow falls back and miss the deadlines, but at the same time I enjoy brainstorming this problems to find a possible answer, and I always get a bigger reward of happiness when am able to solve the problem, it motivates me more. – less
Fast pace always learning
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSNovember 20, 2013
Learn new things every day.
Helping people and the environment to be safe and healthy.
Productive Lab environment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2013
I had to work in multiple post during my work term. I got to learn about the various testing processes for soil and water samples. I liked the work ethic of the employees in this company.
Re-active instead or pro active
Project Manager / Supervisor (Current Employee), calgarySeptember 22, 2013
Pros: opportunities to learn
Cons: micromanagment
gives you alot of opportunity to learn and develop. Enjoy working here every day there is a new challange
A growing company with little respect for its workers.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Company Headquarters Calgary, ABMay 24, 2013
Pros: good for new grads, immigrants and people new to the field.
Cons: absolutely no job security. pay is smallest in its field.
AGAT Laboratories is a rapidly growing company. It owes its success mainly to its shrewd and frugal labour management practices.

For salary it pays very little to its employees unless you work in sales, finance and upper management. All lab techs, logistic and middle management people make the minimum wage in their field. In the lab all workers except – more... team leads are on contract. The company takes full advantage of this and will cut hours to none or lay people off at a moments notice if there are not enough orders from clients. Everyone on contract does not get benefits. This is essentially 80% of the company's work force.

The work itself is not physically demanding but it is high pressure to get high volume of work orders done and there is a lot of responsibility being shared. You may be asked to stay overtime to get orders done.

Advancement is not even worth it. If you start out in the lab and make it to middle management you are still not making enough money and are just getting involved in a more stressful position. Advancement rarely happens unless management cannot hire someone from outside. There is a high turnover in middle management because it is high stress with little pay.

If on contract you cannot take more than 2 weeks off at a time. In those instances they encourage the worker to resign and there is no guarantee that the worker will be hired back.

Management was getting stricter by the time I left. They did not encourage talking among workers even during slow periods. While management did not go out of their way to make your experience horrible if you were suspected or caught doing something of minor significance your supervisor would be notified and give you a prompt warning.

In closing AGAT Laboratories is the worst in its field. No job security and the absolute worst pay.
On the bright side the work is not horrible and it is a modest start and stepping stone for those just graduating with a degree in science. Just pray that you find something better in the future. – less
oil company
oil production (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2013
im good worker i leave agat because i get ley off my contract was done
Do not have that much benifit for employees
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: not that much
Cons: have to handle chemicals
Good working environment. Good medical benifit. Good for laboratory jobs.
High turnover, low wages, poor management
Supervisor (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 29, 2012
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: low wages, poor management, high turnover
Highest turnover rate I have ever seen. You are expected to take on responsibilities of employees who quit with no training. Wages are a joke. Expect less than working at superstore or Tim Hortons to start, and many promises that are never kept.
Long working hours with low pay
Analyst/ Data Entry (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 29, 2012
Pros: unlimited overtime
Cons: overtime is mandatory
The people and managers are nice, but the management is substandard. The pay is really low for the amount of work that is needed to be done. They dont hire many people leaving us over booked with our jobs.
Not a good place to work.
Former Lab Analyst (Former Employee), edmonton,albertaSeptember 17, 2012
The manager especially Inorganic thinks she is out of the world,too many discrimmination is going on.The lab is not going to last 3-4 years .
friendly staff and good chances of advancement
Project Management Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 13, 2012
pros: Great people, lots of chances to learn and advance. friendly staff.

Cons: contract employment
Hardest and short limit time job
AQM & Logistic Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 17, 2012
This job was the hardest part of the job and short limit time job
Bad place
Lab (Former Employee), MississaugaMay 26, 2012
very low pay, not professional place over worked under paid dont recommend anyone to work there
Senior Prep Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, Ontario or Toronto, OntarioMay 22, 2012
- I always start to work morning and before I start to prep all my samples I make it sure my station is cleaned.

- Working in fast paced environment I learned the time management and multi-tasking.

- If I have problem with my co-workers I will talk to him/her.

- When I dumped all our waste chemicals because in our prep station I'm the only one has – more... a mask.

- If we are not too busy just steady and that only happened month of December. – less
I want to find a much better job.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Agat, Calgary, AB.April 29, 2012
Very fast work environment.
I learned ICP-OES in a Tribology laboratory.
I am satisfied with the managment, but the environment is very dirty.

I met with unfriendly co-workers and got a lots of stress.
The most enjoyable part of the work was to learn new technics to operate ICP-OES.
Review
Lab Tech. (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2012
Pros: full time
Atypical day at work

At the start of a day, it is important that I review what needs to be done.
There will be1.) urgent and important tasks, 2.) urgent but unimportant tasks, and 3.) non-urgent but important tasks. Tasks in category one need to be done first. Tasks in category two need to be addressed but should not overwhelm you. Make time in each – more... day to address tasks in category three.

What I learned

Contribute to continuous improvement of quality & reliability of test results.
I am welcoming and try to put candidates at ease.
Make positive working relationships with all members of the research group.

Working well in a fast pace team as well as alone, good planner and organizer, and problem solving.

My co-workers
working as a team, I have to be willing to go the extra mile with him.

The hardest part of the job
There are a lot of really great people at my level and the prospect of any professional growth was slim.
I became aware of an opportunity that better matched my skills and experience.

The most enjoyable part of the job
I enjoy the analysis and problem-solving skills that successful workforce planning requires.
New challenges which require creative solutions.
New challenges and requests for information that keep it interesting. – less
Loved the work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 16, 2012
Variety of Lab tests, gained a lot of experience, senior lab technician in a few areas
Terrible place to get stuck in.
Management (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 26, 2012
Pros: oil and gas entry level experiance
Cons: poor management, low compensation, and lack of training
The only thing good about AGAT is that it gives you some Oil and Gas experiance on your resume. The company is poorly managed with little regard for employees. The turn over rates are very high and the general moral is extremely low.
productive company
CHEMICAL ANALYST (CO-OP) (Former Employee), Agat, GUMarch 17, 2012
Agat is a friendly environment. I have learned a valuable experience over there
Temporary Position
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Water LabDecember 7, 2011
Pros: 1 hour luch breaks
Cons: had to punch in a time card
I did't work there very long as it was only a temporary position. The coworkers were nice and friendly.

About AGAT Laboratories

Planet Biopharmaceuticals (formerly Planet Technologies) wants to make it easier to avoid the irritating things in life. The company – Read more