AGAT Laboratories Employee Reviews

would not return for any amout of money
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 January 2017
Staff is treated as expendable, concerns are not addressed, promotions and upward movement dependent on if management is in your social group. No matter how hardworking or knowledgable an individual the raises and promotions only go to managements "friends".
A great place to get experience and a friendly workenviroment
Team Lead Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
I had a wonderful experience working with AGAT. The management was always helpful and my co-workers were amazing. They were always willing to give employees new opportunities.
Pros
Good Benifits
Horrendous company to work for
Marketing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
Look on glassdoor.com for a comprehensive review.

Poor management, poor HR, poor leadership, poor salary, overworked, the owners are bullies, and the list goes on.
Pros
Absolutely non.
Cons
The entire company!
Do not work at AGAT
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2016
This company is poorly ran. The ceo cannot run a company period. Wages are not just low they are pathetic. Other staff members are ok to work with. Foreign employees like myself are racially profiled day one and given tasks accordingly. Management tries to intimidate staff but just look silly trying to look important
Pros
Christmas party.
Cons
great fun place to work miss it! :)
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB9 February 2017
great place to work! fun, great people, gained lots of experience!
hardest part was learning the lab stuff
enjoyable part was the people and my boss
typical work day answer phones file, data entry
Good People and fair
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2017
I enjoyed my time there. I was in IT and the boss was excellent. He actually cared about his workers.
The work I did was interesting considering. Everyone I met was nice.
No Life Balance with Little Pay long hours with no Respect
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 November 2015
AGAT Laboratories is a rapidly growing company. It owes its success mainly to its shrewd and frugal labour management practices.

For salary it pays very little to its employees unless you work in sales, finance and upper management. All lab techs, logistic and middle management people make the minimum wage in their field. In the lab all workers are expected to work long unrealistic hours. If you are willing to break labour standards and work 13 hours a day 7 days a week during peak hours this is the job for you.

The work itself is not physically demanding but it is high pressure to get high volume of work orders done and there is a lot of responsibility being shared. You will have to stay over time and if you cant you will get bullied into it. However if you get any type of stressed out they get mad at you and tell you to get out and will fire you on the spot.

Advancement and raises rarely happens unless management cannot hire someone from outside. There is a high turnover in middle management because it is high stress with little pay.

In closing AGAT Laboratories is the worst in its field. No job security and the absolute worst pay.
On the bright side the work is not horrible and it is a modest start and stepping stone for those just graduating with a degree in science. Just pray that you find something better in the future.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, little pay, no respect, bullied daily, clearly plays favorites
Productive workplace, great people
Logistics Control Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 May 2016
I enjoyed my time at AGAT Laboratories, as I worked with a great boss and coworkers. I worked in the logistics department and I was responsible for creating work orders for samples, and organizing sample shipments.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
Work in Laboratories is team work and full of responsibilities, skills and knowledge about chemistry, microbiology and environment.
Chemical lab technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2016
Every day is challenging in laboratories. I learn about time management, because it is work of time and money. Every second is important in laboratories. It is about from sample you received till end how you analysis the sample and make reporting to supervisor. the most enjoyable part of this job is you don't realized time how fast its going while you do analysis of sample and other works.
Pros
it is really nice to work in team and we can build our skill and knowledge.
Cons
you have to work with hazardous reagent in laboratories.
Favour to worker
Laboratory technicin (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster23 June 2015
Management gives the favor to worker. Lab technician is getting much more pay than laboratory analyst. None of the lab technician have even science background and even don't have more than a year experience still they give promotion to them. Don't apply in Lloydminster location ever. They don't have a value of the worker who has knowledge.
Cons
Long hours without paying overtime
AGAT
Environmental Chemistry Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2014
The company is good but has a little opportunities for advancement in the area am interested in.

I have learned to be efficient in a fast space laboratory work, I have earned more critical skills, problem solving/troubleshooting, and understand more the team work importance.
The team at AGAT is wonderful and we support each other daily to have quality results and a good work environment.

the hardest part of the job is when a major problem, like instruments failure, it can be challenging at the time because the work flow falls back and miss the deadlines, but at the same time I enjoy brainstorming this problems to find a possible answer, and I always get a bigger reward of happiness when am able to solve the problem, it motivates me more.
Pros
The work, tasks
Cons
Salary
nice workplace
Laboratory Technician / Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2015
nice workplace but salary is low. job security is not good because they will fire you or lay-off their worker always. good workplace for newcomers here in Canada.
A hard working Determined and friendly place to work
QC TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK8 September 2015
A normal day at AGAT Environmental is receiving, preparing, and analysis of soil and Water samples. The Lab itself is relatively new so Management is often worried, yet more so determined to prove that the lab may be new but not inexperienced or lacking a strong work ethic. The hardest part of working there would be that samples can come any hour of the day and require immediate analysis. However this has taught me stronger time management skills and problem solving on the go. The best part of working there would be the friendly and social staff that are all to willing to give a helping hand.
Pros
friendly staff, free lunches
Cons
in Lloydminster
Great starter job, but not very much room for advacement
Client Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 June 2015
Great starter job if you're right out of college or university. Felt overworked and underpaid and under appreciated. Often worked long hours during the busy season and often ended up taking work stress home with me.
Benefits
Cons
Salary, Long hours, Stress
Learned a lot
Sample Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2016
I have got some practical experience and worked with team. Working with scientists provide me real time experience with easy learning tips.
Very fast paced environment to work in
Client Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 October 2014
Management and job culture is great but not that much Job Security/Advancement
Terrible place to get stuck in.
Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary26 October 2012
The only thing good about AGAT is that it gives you some Oil and Gas experiance on your resume. The company is poorly managed with little regard for employees. The turn over rates are very high and the general moral is extremely low.
Pros
oil and gas entry level experiance
Cons
poor management, low compensation, and lack of training
High turnover, low wages, poor management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary29 September 2012
Highest turnover rate I have ever seen. You are expected to take on responsibilities of employees who quit with no training. Wages are a joke. Expect less than working at superstore or Tim Hortons to start, and many promises that are never kept.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
low wages, poor management, high turnover
poor paying job and expect new staff on a regular basics
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2014
typical day is extracting soil, water, and oil samples from other companies and then transferring them into vials. Did learn anything cheimcally, just learned how much and how to do specific analysis. Co-workers are very nice and honest. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing and talking to the co-workers. There is nothing hard about this job, as you don't need any chemical knowledge. Any in high school can do this job. The wage is very poor and you see many people come and go as everyone in the company is searching for a better job with better wage and benefits.

Decent place for just a start, but cannot imagine staying for more than 2 years.
Pros
great staff
Cons
pay and hour cuts
Great Team
Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Missisauga15 March 2015
AGAT is a relatively small company so had a chance to learn multiple instruments, tests as well as about multiple products.
Management was great, they knew how to get the job done from fewer employees on timely priorities. Coworkers were great, easy-going and helped a lot on sometimes-monotonous jobs.
Most Enjoyable part of the job was that I got to learn a lot in very small time. I was trusted to new positions and I did not let my management down.
Pros
job rotations helped in learning multiple instruments
Cons
location was far

2.5