AGAT Laboratories Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Work in Laboratories is team work and full of responsibilities, skills and knowledge about chemistry, microbiology and environment.
Chemical lab technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: it is really nice to work in team and we can build our skill and knowledge.
Cons: you have to work with hazardous reagent in laboratories.
Every day is challenging in laboratories. I learn about time management, because it is work of time and money. Every second is important in laboratories. It is about from sample you received till end how you analysis the sample and make reporting to supervisor. the most enjoyable part of this job is you don't realized time how fast its going while you do analysis of sample and other works.
A hard working Determined and friendly place to work
QC TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Lloydminster, SKSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: friendly staff, free lunches
Cons: in Lloydminster
A normal day at AGAT Environmental is receiving, preparing, and analysis of soil and Water samples. The Lab itself is relatively new so Management is often worried, yet more so determined to prove that the lab may be new but not inexperienced or lacking a strong work ethic. The hardest part of working there would be that samples can come any hour of the day and require immediate analysis. However this has taught me stronger time management skills and problem solving on the go. The best part of working there would be the friendly and social staff that are all to willing to give a helping hand.
Learned a lot
Sample Preparation Technician (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 24, 2016
I have got some practical experience and worked with team. Working with scientists provide me real time experience with easy learning tips.
Will miss working there
GRAPHIC DESIGNER & MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Nice people to work with and interesting industry. Hired as part-time, but quickly moved to 34 hours a week on a permanent basis.
An okay workplace for a recent graduate
Environmental Lab Technician (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 26, 2015
AGAT hires many students during the summer for co-op. The amount of learning is great however the per hour rate is almost the same as minimum wage.
Good work environment but tasks can be repetitive
Project Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 15, 2015
Good work environment. Co-workers are friendly and knowledgeable. Company encourages creativity in problem solving. Tasks and projects can become tedious, routine, and repetitive.
it has got an amaizing work environment where manager and supervisor are really friendly
Gas lab technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 19, 2015
Pros: events
Cons: 12 hours shift
its really a friendly professional working place where i got to learn lot of different methods for analyzing gas samples as well as water samples. manager really looks forward to train all employees.
nice workplace
Laboratory Technician / Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 23, 2015
nice workplace but salary is low. job security is not good because they will fire you or lay-off their worker always. good workplace for newcomers here in Canada.
Favour to worker
Laboratory technicin (Former Employee), LloydminsterJune 23, 2015
Cons: Long hours without paying overtime
Management gives the favor to worker. Lab technician is getting much more pay than laboratory analyst. None of the lab technician have even science background and even don't have more than a year experience still they give promotion to them. Don't apply in Lloydminster location ever. They don't have a value of the worker who has knowledge.
Learning Experience
Logistics Technologist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Management
The overall job taught me to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Working with co-workers had a positive response allowing support with one another reducing work stress. Management could be better by allowing less pressure on the work site and better relations with one another.
Great starter job, but not very much room for advacement
Client Project Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Salary, Long hours, Stress
Great starter job if you're right out of college or university. Felt overworked and underpaid and under appreciated. Often worked long hours during the busy season and often ended up taking work stress home with me.
Great Team
Lab technician (Former Employee), MissisaugaMarch 15, 2015
Pros: job rotations helped in learning multiple instruments
Cons: location was far
AGAT is a relatively small company so had a chance to learn multiple instruments, tests as well as about multiple products.
Management was great, they knew how to get the job done from fewer employees on timely priorities. Coworkers were great, easy-going and helped a lot on sometimes-monotonous jobs.
Most Enjoyable part of the job was that I got to learn a lot in very small time. I was trusted to new positions and I did not let my management down.
No Life Balance with Little Pay long hours with no Respect
lab technician (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 24, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: long hours, little pay, no respect, bullied daily, clearly plays favorites
AGAT Laboratories is a rapidly growing company. It owes its success mainly to its shrewd and frugal labour management practices.

For salary it pays very little to its employees unless you work in sales, finance and upper management. All lab techs, logistic and middle management people make the minimum wage in their field. In the lab all workers are expected to work long unrealistic hours. If you are willing to break labour standards and work 13 hours a day 7 days a week during peak hours this is the job for you.

The work itself is not physically demanding but it is high pressure to get high volume of work orders done and there is a lot of responsibility being shared. You will have to stay over time and if you cant you will get bullied into it. However if you get any type of stressed out they get mad at you and tell you to get out and will fire you on the spot.

Advancement and raises rarely happens unless management cannot hire someone from outside. There is a high turnover in middle management because it is high stress with little pay.

In closing AGAT Laboratories is the worst in its field. No job security and the absolute worst pay.
On the bright side the work is not horrible and it is a modest start and stepping stone for those just graduating with a degree in science. Just pray that you find something better in the future.
poor paying job and expect new staff on a regular basics
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: pay and hour cuts
typical day is extracting soil, water, and oil samples from other companies and then transferring them into vials. Did learn anything cheimcally, just learned how much and how to do specific analysis. Co-workers are very nice and honest. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing and talking to the co-workers. There is nothing hard about this job, as you don't need any chemical knowledge. Any in high school can do this job. The wage is very poor and you see many people come and go as everyone in the company is searching for a better job with better wage and benefits.

Decent place for just a start, but cannot imagine staying for more than 2 years.
AGAT
Environmental Chemistry Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: the work, tasks
Cons: salary
The company is good but has a little opportunities for advancement in the area am interested in.

I have learned to be efficient in a fast space laboratory work, I have earned more critical skills, problem solving/troubleshooting, and understand more the team work importance.
The team at AGAT is wonderful and we support each other daily to have quality results and a good work environment.

the hardest part of the job is when a major problem, like instruments failure, it can be challenging at the time because the work flow falls back and miss the deadlines, but at the same time I enjoy brainstorming this problems to find a possible answer, and I always get a bigger reward of happiness when am able to solve the problem, it motivates me more.
Senior Prep Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Mississauga, Ontario or Toronto, OntarioMay 22, 2012
- I always start to work morning and before I start to prep all my samples I make it sure my station is cleaned.

- Working in fast paced environment I learned the time management and multi-tasking.

- If I have problem with my co-workers I will talk to him/her.

- When I dumped all our waste chemicals because in our prep station I'm the only one has a mask.

- If we are not too busy just steady and that only happened month of December.
Agat Review
Receptionist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 17, 2015
Agat Labs is very multicultural and open hearted place. A place of opportunity and choices. Great timing and good location.Cons I should say is less pay.
Fast and busy workspace
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 25, 2013
Cons: being a student you have to help everyone and can't say no if oyu are not comfortable with something
- Busy workplace with something to always
- Scheduled breaks
- Some good co-workers but some very rude and straight face
- Management was not excellent but average
- Overall, a great learning experience in every aspect from work to people.
Terrible place to get stuck in.
Management (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 26, 2012
Pros: oil and gas entry level experiance
Cons: poor management, low compensation, and lack of training
The only thing good about AGAT is that it gives you some Oil and Gas experiance on your resume. The company is poorly managed with little regard for employees. The turn over rates are very high and the general moral is extremely low.
High turnover, low wages, poor management
Supervisor (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 29, 2012
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: low wages, poor management, high turnover
Highest turnover rate I have ever seen. You are expected to take on responsibilities of employees who quit with no training. Wages are a joke. Expect less than working at superstore or Tim Hortons to start, and many promises that are never kept.