AGAT Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good Entry Level
Laboratory Technician- Oil Sands Department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2017
A good entry level job. Working with oil sands samples. Good Management. You can learn a lot with this company on how to process and extract oil from oil sands. You will feel like a scientist working on a lab.
Pros
great work experience
Cons
chemical fumes
Awesome place to work at, very relaxed
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2017
There is a rhythm to this job, and all you need to do is find it, and you will be fine. It pays well for the work that you do, $13/hr for preparing and squeezing water from rock, and taking measurements. It's not particularly difficult, and the bosses are very nice people.
Pros
Very relaxed workplace
Cons
A bump in pay wouldn't hurt
Stay away!!!
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2017
Upon first being hired you are told what a great and wonderful place it is to work and there is a lot of room for advancement with bonuses to be made.

You will soon realize that these are all lies! There are no bonuses, there is no room for advancement or any kind of raises to be had.

You will see the light and wonder what did you get yourself into.

Unless you are in an upper management position don't expect much from this company.

Extremely high turn over company and mismanaged.
Good place to build a career
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 April 2017
If somebody is willing to work hard, s/he will get many chances to learn. Nice coworkers and Friendly management. Good work place for the beginners. From spring to early winter is extremely busy.
Low wage job with enomourous work loads
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2017
Wages are low, workloads are high, employee concerns are usually ignored, at least until someone complains to the ministry of labor. Lots of pressure to work fast. When head office considers lab not to be busy, overtime is unpaid, even if one can not manage the work load on time. Resources required for work including glassware, instruments and even work space balance between barely enough and not enough, resulting in occasional conflicts between employees.
Pros
Experience for your resume
Cons
Low wage, high workloads
Field Technician
Air Quality Monitoring Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 April 2017
I was on the road for most of the year. The work and pay were great but social life at home took a hit. Great job for the workaholics but i like my personal life to be quite separate.
Awfull
Lab Technician A (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 April 2017
No good thing to say
Bad management
too much stress
too much work
lowest payment
not too much to learn
don't waste your time to apply for such company
Great experience in logistics and sample prep
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2017
The only reason I stayed in both logistics and sample prep position because our boss of both logistics and sample prep was great, approaching, accommodating. Otherwise there are many different jobs people can find in Mississauga. Our department was politics free no backstabbing, no talking behind people backs. Something I am proud to learn from our boss.
Pros
Outstanding boss
Cons
weekends work
Good People and fair
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2017
I enjoyed my time there. I was in IT and the boss was excellent. He actually cared about his workers.
The work I did was interesting considering. Everyone I met was nice.
great fun place to work miss it! :)
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB9 February 2017
great place to work! fun, great people, gained lots of experience!
hardest part was learning the lab stuff
enjoyable part was the people and my boss
typical work day answer phones file, data entry
A great place to get experience and a friendly workenviroment
Team Lead Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
I had a wonderful experience working with AGAT. The management was always helpful and my co-workers were amazing. They were always willing to give employees new opportunities.
Pros
Good Benifits
would not return for any amout of money
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 January 2017
Staff is treated as expendable, concerns are not addressed, promotions and upward movement dependent on if management is in your social group. No matter how hardworking or knowledgable an individual the raises and promotions only go to managements "friends".
Do not work at AGAT
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2016
This company is poorly ran. The ceo cannot run a company period. Wages are not just low they are pathetic. Other staff members are ok to work with. Foreign employees like myself are racially profiled day one and given tasks accordingly. Management tries to intimidate staff but just look silly trying to look important
Pros
Christmas party.
Cons
Horrendous company to work for
Marketing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
Look on glassdoor.com for a comprehensive review.

Poor management, poor HR, poor leadership, poor salary, overworked, the owners are bullies, and the list goes on.
Pros
Absolutely non.
Cons
The entire company!
Productive workplace, great people
Logistics Control Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 May 2016
I enjoyed my time at AGAT Laboratories, as I worked with a great boss and coworkers. I worked in the logistics department and I was responsible for creating work orders for samples, and organizing sample shipments.
Pros
Great boss
Learned a lot
Sample Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2016
I have got some practical experience and worked with team. Working with scientists provide me real time experience with easy learning tips.
Will miss working there
GRAPHIC DESIGNER & MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
Nice people to work with and interesting industry. Hired as part-time, but quickly moved to 34 hours a week on a permanent basis.
Work in Laboratories is team work and full of responsibilities, skills and knowledge about chemistry, microbiology and environment.
Chemical lab technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2016
Every day is challenging in laboratories. I learn about time management, because it is work of time and money. Every second is important in laboratories. It is about from sample you received till end how you analysis the sample and make reporting to supervisor. the most enjoyable part of this job is you don't realized time how fast its going while you do analysis of sample and other works.
Pros
it is really nice to work in team and we can build our skill and knowledge.
Cons
you have to work with hazardous reagent in laboratories.
An okay workplace for a recent graduate
Environmental Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2015
AGAT hires many students during the summer for co-op. The amount of learning is great however the per hour rate is almost the same as minimum wage.
No Life Balance with Little Pay long hours with no Respect
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 November 2015
AGAT Laboratories is a rapidly growing company. It owes its success mainly to its shrewd and frugal labour management practices.

For salary it pays very little to its employees unless you work in sales, finance and upper management. All lab techs, logistic and middle management people make the minimum wage in their field. In the lab all workers are expected to work long unrealistic hours. If you are willing to break labour standards and work 13 hours a day 7 days a week during peak hours this is the job for you.

The work itself is not physically demanding but it is high pressure to get high volume of work orders done and there is a lot of responsibility being shared. You will have to stay over time and if you cant you will get bullied into it. However if you get any type of stressed out they get mad at you and tell you to get out and will fire you on the spot.

Advancement and raises rarely happens unless management cannot hire someone from outside. There is a high turnover in middle management because it is high stress with little pay.

In closing AGAT Laboratories is the worst in its field. No job security and the absolute worst pay.
On the bright side the work is not horrible and it is a modest start and stepping stone for those just graduating with a degree in science. Just pray that you find something better in the future.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, little pay, no respect, bullied daily, clearly plays favorites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AGAT Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5