AFL

AFL Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
DON'T WORK HERE
sales rep (Former Employee), bcMay 17, 2014
Seems good to start, until you don't get paid. I have a complaint against them with Employment Standards as they owe me over $1000. It's been 10 weeks since I worked for them and still no money even though they admit they owe me.
Probably the worst place I have ever worked
installer (Former Employee), BCMarch 18, 2014
Cons: its all bad
Does not recognize some BC stat holidays.
Takes $ 50.00 per month from pay check for training.
Poor to little training or support from manager.
Lost personal information.
Cheap, pay sucks and they blame it on Telus.
Local management has no idea, employees are thrown under the bus in front of other employees.
Challenging, Rewarding
Location Manager (Former Employee), St.Thomas, Ontario CanadaApril 29, 2013
Pros: making the plant a success
I was the plant manager of our company plant and I really enjoyed this responsiblity. It was very challenging and very rewarding.
worst company ever stay away!!!
Tech II (Former Employee), charlotte, ncJune 29, 2014
Pros: nothing!
Cons: no work and lies
Please stay away! They will hire anybody and then send you emails saying that there is no work and it can a couple days or weeks with out pay. If you are in the charlotte area stay away They are liars! They only want money for themselves and do not care about anybody else and if you are looking for advancement...not a chance they have not given one – more... in years. – less
Terrible Place To Work, Please Avoid!
Technician II (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 20, 2014
Cons: lies, lies!!!!
AFL was behind on a major job, they were hiring experienced techs as fast as they could to get caught up and complete the project. At the time they were bidding on 3 other major jobs, in which they received none of the projects. When the job I was working was completed, everyone whom was hired at that time were all released.
Lies, lies and more lies – more... is all we got...

STAY AWAY!!!! – less
Horrible company.
staff accountant (Former Employee), norcross, gaJune 3, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: too much turnover in accounting
I worked as staff accountant and the four years I worked at Alta/Afl it was constantly changing managers. Very depressing. Low pay. I left and in a great job now with increase in salary 38% with great benefits, less stress and I get to see family and friends more often.

Keep looking. Very poor leadership at Sr. level and poor or no communications.
An interesting place to work
Engineer (Current Employee), Duncan, SCMay 14, 2014
AFL makes a number of very interesting products and is very focused on customer satisfaction. At times it might seem that internal policies are focused on customers first, safety second, and then the product.

All in all, the company culture is a good one but turnover is high within manufacturing and specialty products seem to be the rule rather than – more... the exception. – less
ALL BUSSINESS
INSTALLER - L4 AFL/CIENA (Current Employee), USAApril 16, 2014
Pros: good acommodations
Cons: very litle time to complete jobs.
LIKE OTHER PROJECTS, VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS WORKING TOGETHER TO COMPLETE THE JOB.
Great Perferred vendor for WFB
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 15, 2014
This company is a preferred vendor for Wells Fargo, Company name changed since I worked for them 15 years ago. Formerly Carolina Comtec for First Union
Good job with excellent benefits.
Radio Frequency Tech I (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GADecember 8, 2013
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: location
Good job with excellent benefits. Great pay. The location was not convenient. Learned a lot. Pleasant experience.
Productive work place
CEO (Former Employee), Ahmedabad GujaratNovember 13, 2013
It was a productive days work. Had to motivate the sales force in selling excavators and crushers in the state of gujarat.
Much consideration for employees
CIO (Former Employee), El Monte, CANovember 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch and dinner
Cons: too much walking
Team work was highly influential to other employees. The environment was motivating and we received much recognition for all our hard work.
Life Changer
System Administrator (Former Employee), Chennai, IndiaOctober 22, 2013
It gave me an opportunity to improve myself in my field (IT). Lot of good friends i got in this place
Enjoyable, great time,Influential,Eye-Opening
Cio Investment Trust Corporation (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 15, 2013
Pros: networking. friendly environment.
Cons: i had to return to high school for my senior year.
Working at the Afl-Cio was a high point in my life.I just recently came off a career ending injury from football. From networking with a few people I was presented an opportunity to try a different style of life as a young working man for a summer. The experience I received working and being there was an eye opener for me My thoughts on a 9-5 job changed, – more... and my perception of co-workers and management were still in tact. I learned how to be a team player and take criticism from football so the transition was not that bad. The hardest part of my job at 17 was staying fully focused on my computer task I had.The most enjoyable part of the job was sitting in on meetings and listening and watching how everyone conducted themselves. – less
AFL is a great company & I am enjoying the work in this wonderful company. The Management is fantastic & the work environment is also good.
National manager (Current Employee), Mumbai, MHOctober 4, 2013

Being a facility & procurement head, some time it is most challenging to procure the material on very short notice with best price as well as to provide uninterrupted services to facilitate the business.

In today's – more... competitive market, it is really challenging & exciting to prove yourselves & achieve target.

Really great !!! – less
Interestingly ...ok
Middle Management (Former Employee), USSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: poor internal communications amongst managers and down through direct reports.
Management focus to narrowly upon the wrong skill sets. You'll find continuous advertisements for techs on line. Due in part to a high turnover which means two things:

1. Inefficient selection of qualified employees

or

2. Use and toss out mentality. Projects complete...bye.

Other than that, not a great deal of care for the training and the lack – more... of salespeople at this company is astounding. One would think that some degree of marketing would help drive revenue... – less
easy going, respectful work place
Quality Control Inspector / Lab Clerk (Former Employee), Duncan, SCAugust 27, 2013
I have worked at AFL on 3 different occasions in 2 different positions and my fiance has also worked for them on 2 different occasions for one position. The environment is laid back and respectful, the work isn't really that hard, the different buildings are up to date and situated to accommodate every employee. There is always something going on whether – more... they're getting catered lunch or blood drives, SOMETHING to reward the employees and help the community is always going on. The HR department is very helpful and patient with employee requests, never while I was working there did I ever feel uncomfortable discouraged or threatened. The security measures and safety measures they take are all the newest fool proof technology. And every supervisor I've ever had has understood we're all human and always has said things to be uplifting and encouraging. All in All it was a great place to work, and I would go back again in a heart beat if I could! – less
A different kind of job
Organizing Apprentice/Organizer in Training (Former Employee), Topeka, KSJune 26, 2013
Pros: challenging, exciting, decent pay and benefits, wonderful if you're a true believer
Cons: office politics, work/life balance
Day in and day out, the labor movement marches forward. The workhorses of it are the Organizers. These are the men and women who work with the membership every day. It means long hours, hard conversations, a lot of travel, and sometimes very little rest. However, this is not a problem if it is something you believe in. When workers begin to realize – more... their own power, and it is you that empowered them, there is hardly a better feeling in the world. Also, most of these organizations practice what they preach (good wages, benefits, and job security)

Now for the rough stuff. There are a lot more politics involved than almost any other job. You can and will come across some unscrupulous people, both in and out of the union itself. This is not always the most stable way to make a living either, so if you are the type of person who prefers a regular 9-5 job, you won't make it for very long. Sometimes days off can be few and far between (think 2-3 weeks sometimes). Also, you must be able to fight off burnout.

Overall, a decent employer, one I would certainly recommend to someone looking for an exciting, challenging, and rewarding career. – less
Interesting and Creative
System Administrator (Former Employee), Chennai, IndiaJune 18, 2013
This job gave me an opportunity to work on my field which i like the most, I always want to work a job which is having a problem to troubleshoot and which is fulfill someones problems. I felt very happy to help others by using the skill which i learn and love the most.
Disorganised and lack of leadership from management
Field Tech (Current Employee), Duncan, SCMay 2, 2013
Pros: provided some money
Cons: lack of training, poor leadership of management, never afull week of work
I worked for this outfit a couple of years and I saw that the management of the people in the field where less than organized, A lot of times the material needed to do the jobs where not ordered correctly or where not ordered till the day before a job started. This cause missed hours for many of the Field Techs. A lot of time there was little to no – more... work and 40 hour work weeks where far and few.

They never really supplied any training except to the Techs that got cozy with the management and they where the ones that where never sent home or stayed home due to lack of work. If you did not become a part of the good old boys network then you where pretty well much hoping to have afew hours each week.

I would not recommend working in the field with this company if you are thinking about it since you will have no advancement or not much support from Management. – less

About AFL

AFL is an industry leader in providing fiber optic products, engineering expertise and integrated services to the many industries. – Read more