Location: Langley, B.C.
Operations: hours—to be determined
POSITION TITLE: Graphic Designer/Production Artist
This position provides ad creation and prepress support for a multi-media publishing client. Based on knowledge of graphics, the technical designer offers leadership by establishing and communicating high standards for our products, evaluating technology and contributing to product and service development.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Duties: (other duties may be assigned)
Ad and Page Creation
- Create advertisements in a CS5 production environment
- Scan photography, typeset advertisements
- Ensure the correct product template is used
- Create ad per product specifications
- Make corrections to ads after client release
- Preflight incoming client supplied ads
- Generate high-resolution PDFs
- Create page layout with the use of typography and graphics
- Create full section layouts such as guides, programs and retail features
- Prepress pagination of publications that include editorial and ad content
- Paginate using onsite pagination software
- Proofread and troubleshoot pages to send to press
- Upload digital page files to the press
- Provide technical support to the production team for difficult, and complex orders
- Provide guidance and testing support to Information Technology in the development and maintenance of the order management system(s) and graphic design hardware/software
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of client-specific documentation
- Handle customer calls and inquiries to meet or exceed support quality measurements.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with clients, fellow team members and the production team
Customer Interaction, Job Jacket Management
- Collect, organize and disseminate large amounts of client supplied inputs to the appropriate production artist and/or production team
- Address questions and concerns raised by our customer
- Collect and organize issues and concerns from our production team and present those issues and concerns to our customer. Retrieve answers from our customer and disseminate those answers to our production team using email, IM and phone
- Handle production inquiries and customer inquiries in an efficient and timely fashion
- Review all ads created by the onsite and offshore design teams to ensure specs are correct
- Proofread all ads
- Upload proofs and final files for approval by client
1. Associate of Arts or Bachelor of Arts in marketing or graphic design.
2. Knowledge and mastery of the Apple operating system and the Macintosh environment.
3. Knowledge of graphic design as it relates to newspaper workflow is a must.
4. Ability to communicate effectively in writing and by telephone.
5. Strong client relationship-building skills.
6. Organized and self-managed personality, with the ability to multi-task.
7. Strong knowledge and experience in design software, including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop required.
8. Background in the commercial print and/or ad creation industries would be an asset
9. High design standards and the skills to translate them to other employees.
10. Understanding of graphics and printing workflow and leadership to recommend improvements and solve problems.
11. Strong time management and prioritizing skills with the flexibility to recalibrate quickly according to changing requirements.
12. A team approach to completing projects and problem-solving.
Ability to communicate effectively one-on-one with clients and employees at all levels, present information to large and small groups, and analyze/interpret common business and technical journals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee must be able to travel for training classes and client meetings, although travel is not a significant part of this position.