AEON Corporation

AEON Corporation Employee Reviews

Great way to live abroad, not a career path
Copy Editor & Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  JapanSeptember 21, 2015
The salary is on par or better than most other private English schools in Japan.
The company also provides a lot of other benefits for teachers. Two big ones are: providing housing (plus a small subsidy) and handling your government and local tax deductions. The company also provides health insurance, compensation for commuting expenses and cold-weather reimbursements (some parts of Japan get pretty cold in winter).
A typical day is spent in the classroom, which means you'll be standing for six or seven hours.
The hardest part of the job is repetitive nature of the curriculum and course materials, but at the same time, that cuts down on your prep time tremendously after you've taught the material a few times. That means less time at the office!
The management style varies by school. Most of the schools I worked at had a pleasant office environment.
Students are almost always friendly, otherwise shy. They were definitely the best part of the job.
boring
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  東京都April 25, 2016
management created bad culture
the job is very stagnant
learned how to deal with all kinds of people. softskills improved.
descent coworkders
pay is low
Fun atmosphere, great work-ethic, wonderful staff and adult students
English Conversation Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kokubunji, JapanJanuary 10, 2013
A typical day would be teaching, preping for classes, and helping staff. I learned how to engage students and how to best inspire them so they could be successful. The managers were fantastic. They were fun and a joy to work with. My co-workers were also wonderful. We all got along without any problems at all. Just a joy. As for the hardest part of the job - I think leaving when my contact had ended was the hardest part. I loved it there.
The students and the staff made it wonderful.
Pros
great staff, great benefits, wonderful coworkers, fantastic students, healthcare, salary
Busy yet rewarding
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  NagoyaJuly 24, 2015
A typical day as an English teacher includes about 25 teaching hours, a 1 hour lunch, as well as cleaning and maintaining the school. There are student counselings and business meetings, as well as training sessions to keep teachers motivated and improve their skills. I really enjoyed teaching and getting to my students. Seeing them improve made the job rewarding and fun to go to. The politics from the main branch was hard to handle at times, especially since there are painfully obvious standard biases between the foreign English teachers and the native English teachers. Overall, I loved my team at my school branch and they made work fun and enjoyable.
Incredible experience to work in such a foreign culture
English Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  JPCFebruary 2, 2015
I learned the importance of international travel and adapting to new cultures. I am in awe of the Japanese work ethic and hope I am able implement those characteristics in my career.
Good pay, long hours.
English Conversation Instructor (Former Employee) –  TokyoJune 10, 2015
Your experience depends on your school.
You can have the easiest and most laid back school, or the most high strung stressful school and make the same amount of money.
Pros
Good pay, great students.
Cons
No upward mobility, no exit counseling.
If you like Japan and talking to random people this is something you may want to do.
Head/Teaching Staff (Former Employee) –  JAPANMay 24, 2012
A typical day starts around noon, and ends around 9 or little later.
Work experience differs based on the assigned school. Most of the co-workers are mainly either "really in love with Japan and it's culture" or "used to have the first statement but now depressed".
"Teaching" part is really easy, as long as you can follow the structure and be an entertainer. *Unless you have "one on one lessons" with a particular student, do not expect them to improve dramatically. Even with the lessons it is hit or miss.*
This job requires patients, a lot of patients.
It is like if you care about "teaching" you may suffer, if you can say this is not "education" it is a "business" you may survive.
Pros
self training for future stressful situation, meet new people, enjoy smallest joy in life, eat japanese food.
Cons
it is a business not education.
Travel and earn money!
English Instructor and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  JPCMay 1, 2013
My time at AEON was pretty satisfactory. I didn't have too many complaints. I took the work quite seriously, but I also had a lot of fun. Not for those who just want to party or travel around Japan or Asia. The management relies on you for a product, ie - teaching the courses well and giving into some of their demands that are typical of any corporate workplace.
Review
Branch Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kanie, JapanSeptember 27, 2014
This company was fun to work with and the projects were great.
Experience everything
Foreign English Teacher (Current Employee) –  EhimeJune 22, 2014
Easy transition into a foreign country as far as paperwork is concerned.

2.8