AEON Corporation Employee Reviews

Opportunity to work in a professional teaching environment without prior teaching experience
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tokyo, Japan28 August 2017
AEON Corporation is the best company when it comes to recruiting aspiring English teachers in their home countries, providing them with the work visa they need and also providing the training they will need to succeed as an English teacher, even if it is your first time teaching. AEON expects candidates to have strong professional manners and an enthusiastic personality, but besides that the company is willing to help teach the on-the-job skills teachers will need, including exercising patience as teachers learn and perfect these skills. Japanese language skills are not required for this position, but they are definitely an added bonus if you possess them. This position should be considered as a full-time work commitment, so people intending to come to Japan as a kind of "working holiday" need not apply.
Pros
Housing provided (with subsidized rent), work visa provided, on-the-job training provided
Cons
Much business is condicted in Japanese, English-only speakers have little room for upward movement in the company
A convenient way to move to Japan
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Shimizu, Japan27 July 2017
AEON will take care of a lot of the more stressful elements of moving abroad, like housing and commuter travel. Pay is always on time and the wage structure is transparent. Lessons are structured by the textbooks so as long as you pay attention in training, you should be able to teach with relatively little settling time. However, more difficult elements to the job, especially those around teaching children, are not handled as well and you may find yourself feeling underprepared and frustrated in these classes.
Pros
Support for transition to Japan
Cons
Poor preparation for kids classes
AEON was an extremely satisfying job, with ample room for advancement based on skill level and qualifications
Sales and Education Manager (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Japan22 July 2017
I began at AEON as a beginning level teacher, but after displaying considerable skill as a teacher and salesman, and by demonstrating my aptitude in small business management, I was given rapidly increasing responsibilities, as well as the maximum number of awards allowed a teacher.
Pros
Rewarding experience, and opportunities to advance skills and position
Cons
Long hours and frequent challenges in sales, skill development, and management
Friendly staff that helps you acclimate
Teaching Staff (Former Employee) –  群馬県 高崎市4 July 2017
It is an interesting job, teaching English to children as young as three, and adults as old as 83 in my experience. You learn a lot about the Japanese culture through your adult students and enjoy time with your co-workers. Working hours can be very busy with up to 7 lessons in a day being taught. Management does not always give you a large amount of time to prepare for new tasks.
Pros
Employer gets affordable housing near your job location.
Cons
Short breaks, often asked to do many things in a short amount of time.
Easy Job To Get, You'll Want to Get Out Pretty Quick
English Conversation Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Japan3 July 2017
I didn't like working for Aeon at all.
the biggest qualm I had with those people were the "self study campaign" season they'd have about twice a year; they would preach and preach in the off-season about how we needed to make sure our classes were the absolute best quality the students could get, but around campaign time they'd make us change the story to "well, our classes are OK.. but if you buy these extra excersize books and CDs your English will be so much better!"
compensation is best among eikaiwas
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  hiroshima28 May 2017
the compensation is highest amongst eikaiwas but every school has a completely different culture with some being more easy going and fun and others more strict and stressful
Pros
fixed schedule
Cons
work hours affect work life balance
Get ready for no money no life
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Matsusaka, Japan12 May 2017
It was just so expensive there and as soon as I fell ill there was no support. The option was either deal with it or leave. As soon as I chose to leave for my health they had kicked me out within four days, took most of my last paycheck because they said there was a stain on my carpet (a stain that was there when I moved in and cleaned it anyway but because the cleaning materials hadn't dried yet I was forced to pay) So I went home with $50.
Pros
live in Japan
Cons
no free time, no money
boring
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  東京都25 April 2016
management created bad culture
the job is very stagnant
learned how to deal with all kinds of people. softskills improved.
descent coworkders
pay is low
Hard Work
ASSISTANT TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Japan24 September 2015
The work culture is strict but you get to live in a foreign country and experience lots of new things. I recommend it to the right person.
Great way to live abroad, not a career path
Copy Editor & Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Japan21 September 2015
The salary is on par or better than most other private English schools in Japan.
The company also provides a lot of other benefits for teachers. Two big ones are: providing housing (plus a small subsidy) and handling your government and local tax deductions. The company also provides health insurance, compensation for commuting expenses and cold-weather reimbursements (some parts of Japan get pretty cold in winter).
A typical day is spent in the classroom, which means you'll be standing for six or seven hours.
The hardest part of the job is repetitive nature of the curriculum and course materials, but at the same time, that cuts down on your prep time tremendously after you've taught the material a few times. That means less time at the office!
The management style varies by school. Most of the schools I worked at had a pleasant office environment.
Students are almost always friendly, otherwise shy. They were definitely the best part of the job.
Busy yet rewarding
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nagoya24 July 2015
A typical day as an English teacher includes about 25 teaching hours, a 1 hour lunch, as well as cleaning and maintaining the school. There are student counselings and business meetings, as well as training sessions to keep teachers motivated and improve their skills. I really enjoyed teaching and getting to my students. Seeing them improve made the job rewarding and fun to go to. The politics from the main branch was hard to handle at times, especially since there are painfully obvious standard biases between the foreign English teachers and the native English teachers. Overall, I loved my team at my school branch and they made work fun and enjoyable.
Good pay, long hours.
English Conversation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tokyo10 June 2015
Your experience depends on your school.
You can have the easiest and most laid back school, or the most high strung stressful school and make the same amount of money.
Pros
Good pay, great students.
Cons
No upward mobility, no exit counseling.
Incredible experience to work in such a foreign culture
English Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  JPC2 February 2015
I learned the importance of international travel and adapting to new cultures. I am in awe of the Japanese work ethic and hope I am able implement those characteristics in my career.
Review
Branch Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kanie, Japan27 September 2014
This company was fun to work with and the projects were great.
Experience everything
Foreign English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ehime22 June 2014
Easy transition into a foreign country as far as paperwork is concerned.
Travel and earn money!
English Instructor and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  JPC1 May 2013
My time at AEON was pretty satisfactory. I didn't have too many complaints. I took the work quite seriously, but I also had a lot of fun. Not for those who just want to party or travel around Japan or Asia. The management relies on you for a product, ie - teaching the courses well and giving into some of their demands that are typical of any corporate workplace.
Fun atmosphere, great work-ethic, wonderful staff and adult students
English Conversation Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kokubunji, Japan10 January 2013
A typical day would be teaching, preping for classes, and helping staff. I learned how to engage students and how to best inspire them so they could be successful. The managers were fantastic. They were fun and a joy to work with. My co-workers were also wonderful. We all got along without any problems at all. Just a joy. As for the hardest part of the job - I think leaving when my contact had ended was the hardest part. I loved it there.
The students and the staff made it wonderful.
Pros
great staff, great benefits, wonderful coworkers, fantastic students, healthcare, salary
If you like Japan and talking to random people this is something you may want to do.
Head/Teaching Staff (Former Employee) –  JAPAN24 May 2012
A typical day starts around noon, and ends around 9 or little later.
Work experience differs based on the assigned school. Most of the co-workers are mainly either "really in love with Japan and it's culture" or "used to have the first statement but now depressed".
"Teaching" part is really easy, as long as you can follow the structure and be an entertainer. *Unless you have "one on one lessons" with a particular student, do not expect them to improve dramatically. Even with the lessons it is hit or miss.*
This job requires patients, a lot of patients.
It is like if you care about "teaching" you may suffer, if you can say this is not "education" it is a "business" you may survive.
Pros
self training for future stressful situation, meet new people, enjoy smallest joy in life, eat japanese food.
Cons
it is a business not education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AEON Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9