AECON Employee Reviews

no direction
un-organized chaos
unclear instructions
go go go hurry up
good group of guys to work with
management is unclear of next step
safety is number one unless they need you to do something
Pros
long hours/ good money
Cons
no organization
Awesome company to work for, the pay is great and lots of perks..:)
Labourer (Former Employee) –  long harbour processing plant newfoundlandAugust 25, 2016
Awesome atmosphere to work in, safety is their number one priority. They have a wonderful open office concept. I learnt safety is very important and number one thing to aim for everyday. Management is great to work for very kind and friendly. Co-Workers very easy to deal with. Nice place overall to work..
Pros
Great Benefits, Good Pay
Cons
Non
only was with them a short time
Fluid Transfer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  brooks abAugust 24, 2016
when they buy a company, they should get rid of the previous managers. the guy who was in charge of the fluid haul should not be in management. when i got hurt due to his not supplying sand for the ice in employees parking, he fought WCB and i lost almost every thing.so my views are a little bias.
Pros
Cons
having idiots in management
Great company
Concrete form worker / Maintenance Carpenter (Former Employee) –  northern saskFebruary 29, 2016
great company great crew fun job well organized nice camp lots to do good food all in all a really good experience. fly in fly out areva camp in northern sask
Pros
good crew good management
Cons
non
Professional working environment
Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 17, 2016
• Receiving material and entering the data into the computer.
• Working with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Integrated Construction Management.
• Use a printer on a daily bases for printing and scanning.
• Emailing clients and ensuring all material sent by them is received properly.
• File all paperwork
Very Professional
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  AlbertaSeptember 2, 2016
Great people
Great work
Great Pay
Professional , just overall a great place to work, would work for these guys any time. Hope they keep me busy due to the quality of work and people here.
Pros
Great people
overall good boss and nice place to work
Heavy Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Perth, ONMay 24, 2016
i learned alot and enjoyed my time with northkey. my first solar farm was with them and i appreciate all they taught me, unfortunately the company went under and could no longer afford to run the jobsite
Pros
good people
Cons
poorly managed company went under
Piping General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Bruce PowerJuly 15, 2016
Lots of meetings every night. Planning well thought out. Client was good. Workers and staff where fun to work with. Schedule was tight
Pros
the people
Cons
Pro active with an excellent safety record
Environmental Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 29, 2016
Each day was a challenge with a large scope of work. Many divisions allowing a person to evolve and pursue his or her desires. As a safety advisor your quesr was to maintain and improve the safety of workers.
Pros
Many types of construction in the various groups Aecon provides
Cons
High tempo with must deadlines to complete.
Good place to work.
HCM Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJuly 12, 2016
Complex payroll environment. Nice office environment Flexible schedule. Lots of union knowledge to be learned.
Dance Students
mod yard (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 23, 2016
If you are a dance student in Sherwood Park this place is for you!!!! If you are not, prepare for drama and 18 year old nappers that sometimes crawl on your desk meowing like a cat that never get in trouble and when you do nothing wrong never got in trouble always do your work and never miss a deadline when its layoff time they stay you will go the three month dance student beats the 2 years of service adult.
Pros
great pay
Cons
18 year old slackers
Project Supervision
Piping Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Atikokan, ON. CanadaSeptember 12, 2015
A typical day would start with an all Supervisor/Contractor daily scheduling meeting. I would then have an informal meeting with my project foremen, discussing scheduled work, progress and safety issues. I would then attend the foreman/worker job task review for the upcoming day. I learned once again that you take nothing for granted, and that all people including Supervisors must fully understand the tasks and how vital schedules effect all aspects of the project. Upper Management was excellent to work with as they left you to manage your aspect of the project yourself. Being a Union job co-workers were normally good but I found myself constantly having to bring up work productivity, smoke breaks and extended coffee breaks. The most enjoyable part of all projects I've supervised is the ability to plan schedule and implement projects. I enjoy being able to be out in the field observing productivity to be able to plan the next day/weeks upcoming tasks. For myself being too busy was by far better than having little to do.
Pros
Open work atmosphere
Cons
Being one of the few Holders for work protection there were extended work weeks
x
Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 20, 2015
no potential for growth. lowest possible rates offered for positions.
good working environment.
Not so politically correct, but that's some what expected in all construction companies.
Management is your best friend until stress levels are high than everyone seems to loose control. lack of experience maybe?
overall good experience
treat workers with respect you get the best from them
Electrician (Former Employee) –  kearl lakeFebruary 27, 2015
day work was writing a elect room learn new type switch gear and with type work I done and my co-worker the job when well management was not much help and they never had the tools or materials do the job so we have to find equitment and other materials to make the job. work well with my co - workers . it was not for the good trade workers there that job would never been done right or worked for them I like going to work everday with my co - workers
Pros
the job
Cons
the bus drive to work early hour have get up go for the hour plus drive to wrok and back
Safety Advisor
Aecon Construction Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SKSeptember 3, 2015
07:00 arrived at work.
07:15 Morning toolbox
08:00 Out in field the rest of the day large site.
17:30 Met with Superintendent About the days activities and the next day's look ahead.
18:00 start recording my day's activities in company diary.
18:30 Home time.
Pros
Folks I met in the Safety Department who still are freinds
Great
Edmonton Government Buildings (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCOctober 26, 2015
Wonderful company to work for. True teamwork spirit with a family based atmosphere. I would recommend this company to anybody who wants to feel valued, trusted and appreciated.
Very good company to work for.
Business Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2015
Good company to work for. Excellent culture and good opportunities in the construction field.
It is a big company looking to get into different markets.
A reputable, respected Engineering firm with far-reaching projects all across the world.
Project Coordinator (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Working at this firm was both rewarding and challenging, as my technical and behavioral skills were constantly being used and tested on the job. As I advanced and proved my abilities, my seniors rewarded me with additional responsibility, and I felt as if I made a significant different in the project I was assigned to.
My co-workers were always helpful and friendly, and the company does a great job in enhancing a communal feeling between employees.
This is experience was invaluable to my career, and showed me that my passion lies in this field.
awesome place to work because they treat you like family.
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONOctober 17, 2014
The job was good, the employees were good people, and management was open minded, and respected the thought's and ideas of others.
I became a Journeyman Fitter while working with this company. I expanded my welding skills, and fitting skills. I learned that I also love training/teaching others how to read blueprints, and expand their knowledge of the trade. I also learned how the fabrication side of things worked, as in getting drawing, and changes made.
All guys working there were willing to show/answer any questions co-workers had. Always there to help others, and each other.
the hardest part of the job was having to leave it. I had family problems at the time and left the province for a new start, which was a decision I regret because she never changed and my family split.
I looked forward to going to work because the company treated you like you were a somebody, and you are important to the company. I was treated like I was part of a family. the setting/environment was a family setting, and a safe environment.
Pros
treated fairly and like family
Cons
worked in the cold sometimes
Unorganized, i did however learn lots, there was no hard parts
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Medicine HatSeptember 23, 2015
they are very unorganized, they dont keep any of the crew in the loop
they act as if its a union but its not
theyre super intendants are way too young to be running crews of that size