AECON Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Project Supervision
Piping Superintendent (Former Employee), Atikokan, ON. CanadaSeptember 12, 2015
Pros: Open work atmosphere
Cons: Being one of the few Holders for work protection there were extended work weeks
A typical day would start with an all Supervisor/Contractor daily scheduling meeting. I would then have an informal meeting with my project foremen, discussing scheduled work, progress and safety issues. I would then attend the foreman/worker job task review for the upcoming day. I learned once again that you take nothing for granted, and that all people including Supervisors must fully understand the tasks and how vital schedules effect all aspects of the project. Upper Management was excellent to work with as they left you to manage your aspect of the project yourself. Being a Union job co-workers were normally good but I found myself constantly having to bring up work productivity, smoke breaks and extended coffee breaks. The most enjoyable part of all projects I've supervised is the ability to plan schedule and implement projects. I enjoy being able to be out in the field observing productivity to be able to plan the next day/weeks upcoming tasks. For myself being too busy was by far better than having little to do.
awesome place to work because they treat you like family.
Fitter (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONOctober 17, 2014
Pros: treated fairly and like family
Cons: worked in the cold sometimes
The job was good, the employees were good people, and management was open minded, and respected the thought's and ideas of others.
I became a Journeyman Fitter while working with this company. I expanded my welding skills, and fitting skills. I learned that I also love training/teaching others how to read blueprints, and expand their knowledge of the trade. I also learned how the fabrication side of things worked, as in getting drawing, and changes made.
All guys working there were willing to show/answer any questions co-workers had. Always there to help others, and each other.
the hardest part of the job was having to leave it. I had family problems at the time and left the province for a new start, which was a decision I regret because she never changed and my family split.
I looked forward to going to work because the company treated you like you were a somebody, and you are important to the company. I was treated like I was part of a family. the setting/environment was a family setting, and a safe environment.
A reputable, respected Engineering firm with far-reaching projects all across the world.
Project Coordinator (Co-op) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2014
Working at this firm was both rewarding and challenging, as my technical and behavioral skills were constantly being used and tested on the job. As I advanced and proved my abilities, my seniors rewarded me with additional responsibility, and I felt as if I made a significant different in the project I was assigned to.
My co-workers were always helpful and friendly, and the company does a great job in enhancing a communal feeling between employees.
This is experience was invaluable to my career, and showed me that my passion lies in this field.
I have complete control over my job and crew
production foreman /superintendant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2012
Pros: bus to and from camp
Cons: not doing what they say they will
I have been at aecon for a year on the 15 th of sept I have had no issues other that when hired I was promised transportation to and from the airport as were the workers this was cancelled by management which was a hard pill for the workers to swallow as wellas myself ,the company has a hard time doing what they say they will as in the example above. Money is fair for sask but 15 an hour lower than AB rates
treat workers with respect you get the best from them
Electrician (Former Employee), kearl lakeFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: the job
Cons: the bus drive to work early hour have get up go for the hour plus drive to wrok and back
day work was writing a elect room learn new type switch gear and with type work I done and my co-worker the job when well management was not much help and they never had the tools or materials do the job so we have to find equitment and other materials to make the job. work well with my co - workers . it was not for the good trade workers there that job would never been done right or worked for them I like going to work everday with my co - workers
Really good camp to work at, the company has great benifits and pay, It's a nice environment to work at, the nationalities and cultures are vast.
Labourer/Supervisor (Current Employee), McClean Lake Mine Site- Areva ResourcesAugust 19, 2014
Pros: i get to work with people of all trades and get to learn about the whole operation.
Cons: the shift is only 2 in / 2 out, i prefer longer shifts, the job is only contract so employment term is not known.
Overall this is a satisfactory job to work at. The shifts are 10 hours and possible overtime daily. My coworkers are awesome we get along good and we complete the tasks. The most satisfying part about the job is the challenge of meeting deadlines and meeting the quota.
Fair company to work for.
Excavator Operator (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: short travel time to job site.
Cons: didn't form any.
Unfortunately, I was called by the Union to go to work for an extended time, however this job received an extended time completion date and I was laid out because they were overstaffed.
Therefore, other than going to work each day - the weather was not good for digging / installing this pipeline on most days - I did my job as well as I could and would have liked to complete this job as the Union had told me.
Daily Hours: 6 Days per Week / 10 Hours per Day.
did not enjoy this job
scaffold foreman (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJuly 4, 2012
Pros: good on floor staff to work with
Cons: poor upper management/long drive to work
-get to work and get my work packages together
-go and sign on jobs at the control room
-assemble staff and do a prejob safety meeting with them and assigh tasks
-walkdown and estimate future jobs
-do time sheets and related paper work
-do postjob discussion with staff
-best part of the job was estimating
-the worst part was dealing with upper manegment that didn't understand your job
Safety Advisor
Aecon Construction Safety Advisor (Former Employee), Jansen, SKSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: Folks I met in the Safety Department who still are freinds
Cons: None
07:00 arrived at work.
07:15 Morning toolbox
08:00 Out in field the rest of the day large site.
17:30 Met with Superintendent About the days activities and the next day's look ahead.
18:00 start recording my day's activities in company diary.
18:30 Home time.
Learning how to Manage and organize crews
Superintendent (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 27, 2013
Pros: experience from trenching to management
Cons: none.
A typical day in Aecon was organizing work. I learned how to be a superintendent and organize crews. I was management and feel like I did a fair and great job. Co-workers were excellent to work with. The hardest part of the job was organizing jobs to be done properly. The most enjoyable part was knowing that our customers were satisfied and happy.
x
Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 20, 2015
no potential for growth. lowest possible rates offered for positions.
good working environment.
Not so politically correct, but that's some what expected in all construction companies.
Management is your best friend until stress levels are high than everyone seems to loose control. lack of experience maybe?
overall good experience
Great and Stable
Workforce/Commercial Coordinator (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 7, 2012
Pros: easy going environment -
Cons: no room to move up
Overall Aecon is a great place to work for however the ability to move is very minimal. My job is great I love the variety and the easy going environment . I enjoy the people I work with.
My days seems to go very fast because I am kept busy and everyday you are face with a new challenge.
Everything is planned with co workers before we start our job.
Labourer (Current Employee), Breslau, ONSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: learning
Cons: the long hours.
Working with the staff and working with the public and a safe environment.working at placing pipes and trenching to pull the bell cable,and fibre.the hardest part of the job is pulling the cable by hand.also accomplishing a job well done.Got along with all staff members.
Unorganized, i did however learn lots, there was no hard parts
Flagger (Former Employee), Medicine HatSeptember 23, 2015
they are very unorganized, they dont keep any of the crew in the loop
they act as if its a union but its not
theyre super intendants are way too young to be running crews of that size
A safe and enjoyable workplace
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2014
Pros: free pizza for no injuries
Cons: long work schedule with not enough time off
They promoted a safe environment to work in and allowed you to work independently.They treated their workers with respect.Management had the ability to communicate well with their employees and were concerned about their personal lives.
Professional working environment
Materials Clerk (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 17, 2016
• Receiving material and entering the data into the computer.
• Working with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Integrated Construction Management.
• Use a printer on a daily bases for printing and scanning.
• Emailing clients and ensuring all material sent by them is received properly.
• File all paperwork
Production orientated good safety culture
Heavey equipment operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 23, 2012
Pros: its work
Cons: not great work shifts
If you live in the area that they are contracted to work in it may be a great career however if you have to travil the work shifts do not afford for flights to other parts of the country.
good coworkers
6G welder (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 9, 2015
Pros: employees
Cons: pay rate
great place to work with good co workers , although the pay is terrible everyone that works there is a decent person. I would not have left if it wasn't for such terrible pay.
productive workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ON CanadaFebruary 28, 2012
Pros: free lunches, training
Cons: short breaks
I enjoy working as part of a construction team in coordinating and design of projects. i used variety of skils such as computer,engineering and design skills to get project completed on time.
Should be one of the top ten companies in Canada
Estimator (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 31, 2015
Aecon is a wonderful company to work for and exceeded my expectations with the interesting work I was assigned, training, team work and recognition.