AECON Employee Reviews

Basic construction job. Good crews nice camp. Normal hours for work. Camp had decent food and was comfortable
Electrican (Former Employee) –  Bethune15 September 2016
It was a good job with good workers. Did cable pull, built tray. Normal construction hours. Stayed in camp which was ok. Foreman were good guys and cared about doing a good job
Very Professional
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Alberta2 September 2016
Great people
Great work
Great Pay
Professional , just overall a great place to work, would work for these guys any time. Hope they keep me busy due to the quality of work and people here.
Pros
Great people
Awesome company to work for, the pay is great and lots of perks..:)
Labourer (Former Employee) –  long harbour processing plant newfoundland25 August 2016
Awesome atmosphere to work in, safety is their number one priority. They have a wonderful open office concept. I learnt safety is very important and number one thing to aim for everyday. Management is great to work for very kind and friendly. Co-Workers very easy to deal with. Nice place overall to work..
Pros
Great Benefits, Good Pay
Cons
Non
only was with them a short time
Fluid Transfer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  brooks ab24 August 2016
when they buy a company, they should get rid of the previous managers. the guy who was in charge of the fluid haul should not be in management. when i got hurt due to his not supplying sand for the ice in employees parking, he fought WCB and i lost almost every thing.so my views are a little bias.
Pros
Cons
having idiots in management
Piping General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Bruce Power15 July 2016
Lots of meetings every night. Planning well thought out. Client was good. Workers and staff where fun to work with. Schedule was tight
Pros
the people
Good place to work.
HCM Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON12 July 2016
Complex payroll environment. Nice office environment Flexible schedule. Lots of union knowledge to be learned.
overall good boss and nice place to work
Heavy Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON24 May 2016
i learned alot and enjoyed my time with northkey. my first solar farm was with them and i appreciate all they taught me, unfortunately the company went under and could no longer afford to run the jobsite
Pros
good people
Cons
poorly managed company went under
Pro active with an excellent safety record
Environmental Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Various29 March 2016
Each day was a challenge with a large scope of work. Many divisions allowing a person to evolve and pursue his or her desires. As a safety advisor your quesr was to maintain and improve the safety of workers.
Pros
Many types of construction in the various groups Aecon provides
Cons
High tempo with must deadlines to complete.
Great company
Concrete form worker / Maintenance Carpenter (Former Employee) –  northern sask29 February 2016
great company great crew fun job well organized nice camp lots to do good food all in all a really good experience. fly in fly out areva camp in northern sask
Pros
good crew good management
Cons
non
Dance Students
mod yard (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 February 2016
If you are a dance student in Sherwood Park this place is for you!!!! If you are not, prepare for drama and 18 year old nappers that sometimes crawl on your desk meowing like a cat that never get in trouble and when you do nothing wrong never got in trouble always do your work and never miss a deadline when its layoff time they stay you will go the three month dance student beats the 2 years of service adult.
Pros
great pay
Cons
18 year old slackers
Un-organized
Construction Skilled Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 January 2016
no direction
un-organized chaos
unclear instructions
go go go hurry up
good group of guys to work with
management is unclear of next step
safety is number one unless they need you to do something
Pros
long hours/ good money
Cons
no organization
Professional working environment
Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB17 January 2016
• Receiving material and entering the data into the computer.
• Working with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Integrated Construction Management.
• Use a printer on a daily bases for printing and scanning.
• Emailing clients and ensuring all material sent by them is received properly.
• File all paperwork
Great
Edmonton Government Buildings (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC26 October 2015
Wonderful company to work for. True teamwork spirit with a family based atmosphere. I would recommend this company to anybody who wants to feel valued, trusted and appreciated.
Unorganized, i did however learn lots, there was no hard parts
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat23 September 2015
they are very unorganized, they dont keep any of the crew in the loop
they act as if its a union but its not
theyre super intendants are way too young to be running crews of that size
Project Supervision
Piping Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Atikokan, ON. Canada12 September 2015
A typical day would start with an all Supervisor/Contractor daily scheduling meeting. I would then have an informal meeting with my project foremen, discussing scheduled work, progress and safety issues. I would then attend the foreman/worker job task review for the upcoming day. I learned once again that you take nothing for granted, and that all people including Supervisors must fully understand the tasks and how vital schedules effect all aspects of the project. Upper Management was excellent to work with as they left you to manage your aspect of the project yourself. Being a Union job co-workers were normally good but I found myself constantly having to bring up work productivity, smoke breaks and extended coffee breaks. The most enjoyable part of all projects I've supervised is the ability to plan schedule and implement projects. I enjoy being able to be out in the field observing productivity to be able to plan the next day/weeks upcoming tasks. For myself being too busy was by far better than having little to do.
Pros
Open work atmosphere
Cons
Being one of the few Holders for work protection there were extended work weeks
Safety Advisor
Aecon Construction Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SK3 September 2015
07:00 arrived at work.
07:15 Morning toolbox
08:00 Out in field the rest of the day large site.
17:30 Met with Superintendent About the days activities and the next day's look ahead.
18:00 start recording my day's activities in company diary.
18:30 Home time.
Pros
Folks I met in the Safety Department who still are freinds
x
Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 August 2015
no potential for growth. lowest possible rates offered for positions.
good working environment.
Not so politically correct, but that's some what expected in all construction companies.
Management is your best friend until stress levels are high than everyone seems to loose control. lack of experience maybe?
overall good experience
Should be one of the top ten companies in Canada
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 March 2015
Aecon is a wonderful company to work for and exceeded my expectations with the interesting work I was assigned, training, team work and recognition.
good coworkers
6G welder (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 March 2015
great place to work with good co workers , although the pay is terrible everyone that works there is a decent person. I would not have left if it wasn't for such terrible pay.
Pros
employees
Cons
pay rate
treat workers with respect you get the best from them
Electrician (Former Employee) –  kearl lake27 February 2015
day work was writing a elect room learn new type switch gear and with type work I done and my co-worker the job when well management was not much help and they never had the tools or materials do the job so we have to find equitment and other materials to make the job. work well with my co - workers . it was not for the good trade workers there that job would never been done right or worked for them I like going to work everday with my co - workers
Pros
the job
Cons
the bus drive to work early hour have get up go for the hour plus drive to wrok and back