Aecon Mining Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 October 2016
It was a great company to work with. While working with Aecon I always received a great support from our management team allowing me to perform my duties in a very professional way. As a result of the great Safety Culture Aecon has, we just finished a 2 years project at Suncor-Fort Hills Mine with an excellent Safety Record (more than 1 Million hours LTI Free after moving more than 23 Million of Cubic Metres of material)
Pros
Excellent environment to work with great Benefits for me and my family
Cons
Unfortunately, as a consequence of the actual economy situation, the company did not have enough work to keep all their employees.
Was a good place to worik
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 September 2016
My day would start with organizing my time between payroll and CDMS entires according to priority and deadlines. Deal with any issues that came up regarding these entries.

Most of my learning came at the beginning of payroll, now that I have done it for a year there are only the occasional changes.

Upper Management was average for any Company . There wasn't a lot of interaction with my position but with management at the lower levels.

My co-workers were great and always helpful. The only part of the job that was challenging was learning SAP payroll.

To sum it up I enjoyed most of my time at Aecon and was sad to leave.
Pros
Very Accomodating when it came to work and personal life
Cons
can't think of any
fun people to work with, strong production
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON5 January 2017
Typical day would be a tool box meeting followed by operation of the assigned gear, be it a truck or excavator
co-workers and management were always fun and positive to talk to and deal with
the hardest part of the job would have been the rotation schedule i was on, was a 21x7 and for being a short contract job ending at Christmas made the holidays stressful
the most enjoyable part was the day to day work with all the people i worked with
Good company
Heavy haul operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 May 2016
Enjoyed my time here crews excellent, management always available and actually had the answers.Would work for aecon anytime.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Aecon Mining offers competative wages , but unfortunately they dont provide job security for thier employees.
PARTS AND PURCHASING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 January 2014
Your day will start around 3.30 4 am and involves travel to site which you are not paid for. safety is a bit of a joke as long as HS advisors are not around anything goes. I did learn a lot about the industry but that was because of one great supervisor. Management is unorganized and a lot un skilled. Most of the team were great but there is a lot of under mining and back stabbing . the hardest part of the job was lack of trained individuals, the best part was the close friendships developed.
Pros
Site transportation, decent wages, benifits
Cons
poor management, unskilled workers, clicky work enviroment
Productive and exucations
Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 September 2015
Good comapny to work for. Good culture. Good benefits. Good management.

Lots of experience to a variety of situations and different types of work.

Lots of opportunity ro relocate.
Rated 2 out of 10
Truck and Coach Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 June 2016
Hard place to work for . Education needed in management . Leaders could not read and write and they are not from industry .
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low education level
Great work atmosphere and great wages.
Dozer Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 March 2016
Great place to work, they always keep you busy and Keep safety there number one goal, followed with production and efficiency.
Pros
Overtime
Aecon
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 May 2016
Great company to work for and the shift work is a good rotation. They give good training and the hours are rotation. They have good equipment to work on
Provides career development and advancement to have the necessary skills for today's modern world.
Survey Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 April 2016
Provides an opportunity to work with the latest survey hardware and software to stay up to date with leading edge technology.
good company to work for.
Quality Control/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 April 2013
long working day
learned a lot of different things
most co-workers are nice people
work in the field all the time and being away from home
LOA tax free money
benefits
Cons
poor pay scale for project coordinators
great people to work with
labourer (Former Employee) –  k+s bethune28 April 2014
easy going people, lots of variety, Great work schedule, Good benefits, up to date tools and equipment.
Quality and crew productivity
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 February 2016
A nice place to work with workers and other personnel on site.
the work done meets industry standards for quality and crew productivity !
Pros
Cons
nothing
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 December 2015
Aecon is a fast growing company with a excellent safety rating. Safety is the number one priority!! The only negative thing I would say is that there is a lot of favoritism which affects advancement.
Pros
7 days off
Cons
camp for 14 days
great work place
Team lead/Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 November 2015
great work place with good co workers theres always someone willing to help with any problem and lots of room to grow and management understands the importance of haveing a life out side of work
Fast paced work environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray19 September 2012
- Starts with site visit and meetings with foreman's and superintendent. Check work progress in the field, analyse issues, get into office in second half of the day and work on cost, schedule, project controls, safety issues, Change management, and other management documentation.
- Learns all the field process, areas to increase productivity, Equipment utilization and project management tools and techniques.
- Project Management, Construction management, Supervision and leadership.
- Interact with all kind of skills, trades, with different qualification. From a general Labor to MBA professionals.
- trying to be at many places at same time.
- Get to see all side of business, Involvement in complete process from Estimating to project completion.
Pros
good work exposure. gained good experience
Cons
trying to be at many places at same time.
work is great
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 November 2015
employees are great as the management. I have no complaints about this company. I had a really enjoyable stay with this company and would do it again.
Great Company ,Great Team Leads
Haulage Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Mcmurray , Alberta29 April 2013
Enjoy the bus rides into work with the coworkers , then we meet in the lunch room for coffee and tool box meeting and line-up for the day ,then we all head out to our equipment where we work safely and look out to each other and report all unsafe acts, potential hazards or near misses and get through each day safely and productively and look forward to the bus ride home were we unwind and joke about the day and make it home to our family safely everyday !
Pros
great friends good team work
Cons
Experience on large equipment. 700 link belt, 850 HItachi ex.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Jansen Mine BHP21 February 2013
We would get bussed out too BHP Jansen mine(local). By the end I moved up a few seat postions and had more work experience on larger equipment. Management improved over time! Co-workers werte mainly from the east. Overall good co-workers. Was seperating the good & bad material & flowing at a steady pace with one excavator.could use another excavator or less trucks.Trucks wouldn't pace themselves. Operating an 850 sized excavator.
Pros
large equipment
Cons
night shift vs day shift it seems
Fuel and Lube Technician
Fuel and Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 July 2013
A typical day at work is fueling, greasing and adding oils as needed to all equipment on site. This consists of Haul trucks, 793s, 789s, 777s and articulating rock trucks.Other equipment are excavators, shovels, dozers, graters, and packers. I learned what different oils that each equipment takes. My co-workers are well trained such as myself and do a great job day in and day out and safety is no. 1 with the crew. The hardest part of the job is going to service the 5500 shovel down in the mine in the tar sands as the ground is very soft and lots of congestion with haul trucks, you have to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different operators on different equipment throughout the mine.
Pros
Aecon gives out rewards monthly for jobs and safety well done
Cons
15 hour days with shift and driving to and from work