Aecon Mining Employee Reviews

Okay - Just Okay
Accountant, (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2018
Aecon used to be a fantastic place to work. Culture and management have changed dramatically recently. I would not encourage working with the group.
Great company
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 December 2017
I worked with this company for the past 6 years and I have no complaints
Excellent company excellent management. And excellent people steady work again great company
Terrible management, very low moral
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 December 2017
They treat employees Terrible, wages are slipping, no scheduling, no real maintenance program used just run to failure and blame the maintenance team for all the issues.
Pros
None, terrible place to work
Cons
Long hours for little reward, incompetent management
Loved working for Aecon
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 August 2017
I loved my job at Aecon. I really enjoyed the fact that training was offered which helped me improve my skills to help me more efficiently in my position.
Great place to work.
Foreman/HEO (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 July 2017
I have been a foreman and a heavy equipment operator. I have worked on many different sites and in camp. I do everything from road building to ditching. Aecon is a great company to work for.
fun place to work, interesting people
Safety Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2017
enjoyed learning about the oil sands and the people who make it work, the people i worked with were all very nice, if you do your job right you get more responsibilities and ability to work with the main supplier.
Pros
great learning experience, gained knowlege
Cons
long hours, taking the bus out to site
terrible pay
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON29 May 2017
i would not recommend anyone working for this company. they are corrupt. and will do anything in their power to make sure you wont earn a fair wage. example they would bribe the union so they can classify the contract as a road job
Awesome!!!
Maintenance/Planner Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 May 2017
No issues, great place to work especially in the maintenance department. Everyone is friendly and we enjoy working together
Management are also great to work for.
review
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
No issues with the company. Great management and work culture.Interesting projects to work on. Great training opportunities for employees. No issues...
Productive and challenging
Document Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON16 April 2017
I enjoyed working there. The work was challenging but always interesting.
The people were fun to work with.
The management were amazing they treat the people has people and not numbers. They cared about you personally.
On the whole the company offers a wonderful work experience.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Journeyman Welder/Red Seal/B-Pressure (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 February 2017
I enjoyed working at AECON very much, the camp was good and the management and supervisors were great. Downside was you had to catch a bus from the city to camp.
Pros
Good pay and employees
Cons
2 and 1 shift left little time for family
Great Company to work for. Many perks given for a job well done.
Proposal Manager - Electrical, Mechanical, Piping (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON23 February 2017
A well known contracting firm with a high success rate in obtaining new work. Very busy, fast paced and timeline driven (which I prefer!) Great support from management with an optimistic future and good overall workforce.
Pros
Management takes a keen interest in the staff's well being
Cons
Don't know of many.
Productive fun
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Rainy River, ON13 January 2017
They were productive and pretty understanding company to work for. However not always the most organized company. Treated me well would work for them again
fun people to work with, strong production
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON5 January 2017
Typical day would be a tool box meeting followed by operation of the assigned gear, be it a truck or excavator
co-workers and management were always fun and positive to talk to and deal with
the hardest part of the job would have been the rotation schedule i was on, was a 21x7 and for being a short contract job ending at Christmas made the holidays stressful
the most enjoyable part was the day to day work with all the people i worked with
Excellent company to work
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 October 2016
It was a great company to work with. While working with Aecon I always received a great support from our management team allowing me to perform my duties in a very professional way. As a result of the great Safety Culture Aecon has, we just finished a 2 years project at Suncor-Fort Hills Mine with an excellent Safety Record (more than 1 Million hours LTI Free after moving more than 23 Million of Cubic Metres of material)
Pros
Excellent environment to work with great Benefits for me and my family
Cons
Unfortunately, as a consequence of the actual economy situation, the company did not have enough work to keep all their employees.
Was a good place to worik
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 September 2016
My day would start with organizing my time between payroll and CDMS entires according to priority and deadlines. Deal with any issues that came up regarding these entries.

Most of my learning came at the beginning of payroll, now that I have done it for a year there are only the occasional changes.

Upper Management was average for any Company . There wasn't a lot of interaction with my position but with management at the lower levels.

My co-workers were great and always helpful. The only part of the job that was challenging was learning SAP payroll.

To sum it up I enjoyed most of my time at Aecon and was sad to leave.
Pros
Very Accomodating when it came to work and personal life
Cons
can't think of any
Rated 2 out of 10
Truck and Coach Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 June 2016
Hard place to work for . Education needed in management . Leaders could not read and write and they are not from industry .
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low education level
Good company
Heavy haul operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 May 2016
Enjoyed my time here crews excellent, management always available and actually had the answers.Would work for aecon anytime.
Pros
Good management
Aecon
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 May 2016
Great company to work for and the shift work is a good rotation. They give good training and the hours are rotation. They have good equipment to work on
Provides career development and advancement to have the necessary skills for today's modern world.
Survey Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 April 2016
Provides an opportunity to work with the latest survey hardware and software to stay up to date with leading edge technology.