We are looking for a PHP Programmer to join our team in Victoria B.C. We're seeking a developer who is passionate about producing quality web applications with a focus on usability, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems.
We are a small web application development company, in business for over 13 years. We develop and support custom web applications for a small group of great long-terms clients. We are moving away from our mostly-virtual team environment, and are starting to develop a stronger local team in Victoria.
You try to find improvements. The web applications you'd be working with have been developed over many years, and as technology changes we try to provide the best and most appropriate solutions for our clients.
You're a strong team player, and value being involved in important decision-making. You are comfortable taking ownership of your work, working directly with team leadership to not just perform tasks, but providing insight into solution development.
- are experienced with a MVC framework, ideally CakePHP
- have a solid understanding and appreciation of UI development, including experience with jQuery, AJAX, responsive CSS, browser compatibility issues etc.
- are comfortable performing basic tasks on a Unix command line, such as running PHP scripts, accessing MySQL, performing basic database operations with commands, moving files and data around between servers using SSH etc.
- have experience with the workflow of version control systems, preferably Git and GitHub.
- are passionate about learning and improving your skills
- have some experience working with open-source CMS platforms, ideally WordPress (theme and plugin development)
- are comfortable with basic website and database hosting configuration, using cPanel or Plesk
About the Position
This position is fulltime, mostly onsite, with some flexibility as required. It will start with an initial evaluation period to assess team dynamics, technical proficiency, and overall how we like working together.
Questions for you
1. What currently fills your days?
2. What are you compensation expectations?
3. Describe your coding style; what motivates you to write great code?
How to apply
Please reply to this posting with a resume and brief responses to the questions, and anything else you want to add including questions for us.