Advantage Communications Employee Reviews

If you like working at a CC then you will like it here!
Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PENovember 3, 2015
Training: Should be longer, more time spent on practising the applications,

Salary: If they wish to remain competitive and get people they will have to offer a much higher wage.

QA: Too picky and there is no need to be QA every week; twice a month is sufficient.

Overall I like the place. The program I work on has answers for pretty much all issues. There are flow charts and staff support when issues get tricky. Easy place to work and very quiet; the quietest Call Centre I have worked at.

The building is run professionally and the Janitors do great job keeping the building very, very clean.
Pros
Easy Going, Lay Back, Casual Wear, Can Wear Shorts (unlike other CC), Friendly Staff, Excellent Training, Very Flexible, Good Support
Cons
Shift Work, Lousy Pay, Expect too much for what they are paying for, To many QA's for my liking and too picky.
Wouldn't recommend
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEDecember 13, 2015
The only thing that gets you through your shift is your co-workers. When needing help, if you ask three different people in management the same question, you'll get three different answers. The training is generalized/poor/inadequate and has little bearing to what is encountered on the floor. Numerous QA audits are sent via email and you have no idea what call they are referring to. Marks lost are from performing your duties as taught in training, only to find that information is incorrect. Shift times are erratic making work/life balance very difficult and we won't even talk about the pay.
Pros
co-workers, desk job
Cons
low pay, no leadership, lazy mid management, incorrect training, not enough staff scheduled leading to long call times, ineffectual feedback, too many audits without discussion
Productive and family like environment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  KingstonApril 15, 2016
Working with Advantage is fulfilling, meaningful and productive. The administrative group is positive and supportive. which makes the long hours bearable. Our CEO is welcoming and tries his hardest to be familiar with each employee knowing them by name. And he tries very hard to make everyone as comfortable as possible.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Would not refer anyone else here
Technical Support - Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Souris, PEFebruary 25, 2015
Aside from my co-workers, this job isn't worth the headaches. Management treat their staff quite poorly, and the pay wage compared to other centres is ridiculous. The benefits package is mediocre at best. If it wasn't for the fact I needed the job, I would never of applied there in the first place. Theye cancelled numerous staff events in the last year because their staff is so disgruntled they refuse to attend.
Productive and Fun Workplace; Everyone knows your name
Tech Support Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PENovember 20, 2015
With over 10 years of customer service experience, I found Advantage Communications to be a great workplace! Especially in the contact center field. The management always calls you by name, and they treat you like an actual person, not just a number.
Great people to work with
BILLING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEDecember 10, 2015
Varies depending on work day
Working together
Management/coworker is what makes the day go by
Hardest part is working with the people that call in
Again coworkers make the day go by
This was a good company with great management.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PESeptember 8, 2015
I really enjoyed Advantage as a company. They were great to their employees ( provided lots of activities and ways to interact with the staff).

I learned lots of technical support and electronics. A typical day consisted of providing customers with assistance on their phone, internet, and cable via telephone.

My co-workers were fun and very helpful when I needed them.

The hardest part of the job was the people who were upset and/or unable to follow the directions we provided; although, I liked the challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the job was continuous learning. Every day there was something new to learn and achieve.
Pros
Working at a desk all day.
Cons
People not understanding what you need them to.
A fun and flexible workplace.
Technical Support Representative (Bilingual) (Current Employee) –  Summerside, PESeptember 24, 2015
We were very busy, always on the phone talking to irate customers, but had a lot of fun in the workplace. The employees were always smiling and met a lot of interesting people. Very great to work around family and home life. The downfall was there was not much room for movement within the company and no way to "climb the ladder".

A big challenge was keeping up with changes to technology and social media.
I learned skills everyone should have: basic technical support for cable, telephone and internet.
I Can't Speak For All Centers, But the One I Worked For... PLEASE READ ENTIRELY!
Senior Level One Agent (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB – October 2, 2012February 20, 2013
Here goes...
PROS :
Great co-workers : As with any call center, the other reps you work with are great, friendly people. Yes, supervisors and management (for the most part) included. HR were particularly nice... too bad they're 100 miles away.
Casual dress code : Not all that important, and actually detracts from productivity, but it's nice to be able to dress in your normal clothes.
Laid back : In and of itself, the job was actually a good job, you were helping people out all day every day... not like you were doing surveys or forced to try to sell anything (even though they say you are supposed to, it didn't count against us).

CONS : Poor scheduling : Schedules printed a month in advance could change immediately without consent. If you didn't check it (which they disabled the ability to do from home) it was your fault. I have never been late for work in my LIFE before they started this nonsense, well there goes that.
Non - Secure site : Strangers were walking in off the street to use our bathroom... Very unsafe.
No recognition : In my time with Advantage, I brought up the fact that there was VERY low morale and suggested an "employee of the month" program no less than 4 times. I was ignored completely. All that would have been necessary was a piece of paper and 20 seconds to print it off.
No chance for promotion : All higher level jobs are in different centers, you have NO chance of promotion despite job performance and knowledge about the job itself. Enjoy the bottom rung.
Training issues : Weekly reviews happened about once every 3 months, mandatory weekly training sessions
  more... were completely ignored leading to reps confused or unaware of new promotions and processes. If you missed a day with a special AM training or something, it was rarely made up, so you never got that training... don't ever get sick, I guess... this especially sucks for students and part-timers. I WAS a trainer at prior jobs... this disregard for basic training is amateurish at best and completely inexcusable at worst.
Raises handled poorly : You get a raise at increments of time (1000 hours, then 2000 and so on). If you passed the threshold for a raise, it was ignored until they felt like giving it to you... could be MONTHS. You will get the money they owe in the end, but you MAY have to do all that work yourself. New hires off the street were making more than I was after 2 months.
No seniority : Not a student? Hope you like night shifts. There is no shift bid and they will schedule you whenever they want to. Looking at a past schedule here... Mon/Tues/Fri 13:00 - 22:00,
Thurs 12:00 - 20:00, Sat 09:00 - 17:00. This was not uncommon and could change at any time. Also, after working a week of all closing shifts, a lot of the time you were scheduled first thing in the AM the following week (sometimes the very next day). Days off were frequently spaced out as follows SUN-MON off, work all week, with the FRI-SAT of the NEXT week off. People would get the appropriate number of days off, but it wasn't uncommon to have to work for up to 10 days straight between them.
Poorly handled complaints : This one will get wordy, so I apologize, but this is the MOST IMPORTANT PART. There is no in house QA (there is a reason why, but I won't say... rest assured it's ridiculous though, and hearsay as I wasn't there personally) or HR dept. One of the more "questionable" co workers at my center was sexually harassing a temp for about 2 weeks before he quit of his own accord. This issue was raised but nothing was done to resolve the issue as the rep had already put in his notice. Should have been fired ON THE SPOT, but no on-site HR, remember? Disputing QA scores was next to impossible as the supervisor (not a QA) who would go over the issue had no idea what the issue was (didn't know our job), and usually defaulted back to "well, the QA is probably right." I have horror stories about getting in trouble for doing my job properly, but I'll spare you the details... by the way, your QA scores directly affect your raise amount.

In The End : Above, you have read what I loved and hated about this job... not very balanced is it? In truth, I did like the job and would probably still be working there if not for a mishandled situation they threw me into that I had no control over. I sincerely hope that this gets to the top of the food chain, as it were. I don't feel that anyone there should be fired for the way my situation was handled, but I feel it will be beneficial if someone is dispatched to investigate these claims. Based on my writing style, and my specific complaints I have no doubt they know who this is and can probably think of a few ways to get a hold of me if they should so desire. I would be more than happy to discuss this with someone HIGHER UP in the company and try to explain what went wrong and why I had to quit this job.
I'll leave you with this as a clue.
From Wikipedia, RE : Constructive Dismissal
"In employment law, constructive dismissal, also called constructive discharge, occurs when employees resign because their employer's behaviour has become so intolerable or heinous or made life so difficult that the employee has no choice but to resign. Since the resignation was not truly voluntary, it is in effect a termination. For example, when an employer makes life extremely difficult for an employee to attempt to have the employee resign rather than outright firing the employee, the employer is trying to effect a constructive discharge."
And that's all I have to say about that. Good day.
Pros
great co-workers, casual dress code, laid back workplace
Cons
poor scheduling, non-secure site, no recognition, no chance for promotion, poor training issues, issue with raises, no seniority, and extremely poor complaint resolution
Great company to work for!
EASTLINK TECHNICAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMarch 6, 2013
This company is very efficient and understanding to employee needs. The smaller company size allow for personal relationships with supervisor and management to ensure assistance can be obtained when needed. Training is very thorough so you are prepared to start handling client calls.

Shift work is to be expected, however can interfere with daily routine. Not recommended for a single parent. Call volume can become stressful. Must be able to handle irate clients from time to time.
job was unsatisfactory
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  PeiDecember 21, 2014
employee job security was low
technical support for customers was satisfactory
management poor treatment towards employee can be avoided
Good place to work Best of them all
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEJune 23, 2015
I love working here they treat me Very well i have nothing bad to say i even get to work at home i have been treated fair and get the time i need off.
A good working place
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEApril 20, 2015
This was a good place to work when I needed it. It further developed my technical and soft skills as I had to resolve technical issues and keep customers satisfied on calls. I also enjoyed taking tourism calls in English and French.
Non-productive - Fuse ball table had no ball
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBApril 30, 2014
* Typical day at work, performing inbound calls
* I learned there was negative favoritism in the workplace, and better training for employees was needed
* Management was unproductive and not helpful
* The hardest part of the job was going to work everyday
* Most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers
The company has many great benefits!
Customer Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEJune 19, 2014
I only did a short contract there myself but my husband works full time and they do all kinds of things like bbqs for employees and give aways etc. A typical day while i was there was logging into the system and taking phone calls, my co-workers were great and very nice and helpful.
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown PEJanuary 29, 2014
Taking phone call for Eastlink Tecnical Support...hardest part of the job was dealing with frustrated customers on a consistent basis
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
repetitive
Not a great place to work.
Web Hosting Agent (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEI, CanadaAugust 2, 2013
They always had neg. comments, never tried to improve you. It was like pulling teeth to get any time off. Also bosses have swelled head.
Wonderful place
Senior Level One Agent (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBOctober 2, 2012
I loved all my co-workers and what i did. I love how helpful everyone was.
Pros
the people
Cons
had to move