Aditya Birla Minacs

Aditya Birla Minacs Employee Reviews

Great start to work in a call centre environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 1, 2015
Great start to work in a call centre environment, everyday you will learn something new, product changes..i loved meeting my co workers
Cons
Not being acknowledge for Good Work and Schedules
CSR
Canada Post Rep (Former Employee) –  hamiltonMay 29, 2015
My time at Minacs was a good experience and the people there were great. The training sessions were very in depth and provided you with everything you needed.
Fast paced environment
OnStar Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 28, 2015
Good support from supervisors and managers as you begin your work there. Very fast paced environment and mentally exhausting though.
Good Job with Room for Advancement.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 27, 2015
This job is stable and you can always go back to it if you would like since they are always hiring. It is a constantly changing environment that will keep you on your toes, but this allows for personal and professional growth in the customer service industry.
Pros
Free Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings Tickets, Dress Down Fridays, Room for advancement after 6 months or potentially less.
Cons
During an 8-hour shift, you only make 7.75 hrs worth of pay.
a stepping stone opposed to a career
Customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OnMay 27, 2015
The workplace at Minacs is very mentally draining with a high volume of calls for 9 hours, you have 3 breaks; two of them 15 minutes and one lunch break of a half hour, the management is quite difficult to deal with, if you want to have sundays off for faith, consider it imposible this a life decision 100% neither understood or appreciated. The training modules are out of date which cause set backs while learning but the handouts are helpful, training is heavily based off of mere completion of tests so regardless of understanding you'll get through it answers are read out to the training room in a checklist fashion, many people in your class will quite the first week out of training and slowly but surely your personal life will take a toll from exhaustion, the people are great though, job just has little to no support for personal life balance
Pros
the jobs there and you'll get hired
Cons
long hours, short breaks, bad schedules
Great community vibe
Technical Phone Support (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 26, 2015
This job provides a sense of community, as the teams work together, and against one another, in the spirit of providing the best customer service possible
Pros
Cake on birthdays
Cons
Differing expectations of performance
Opportunity for advancement
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 20, 2015
An average day would consist of checking emails immediately to see if any new policies had come out or if there was any other important issues that needed my attention. I would then review my team members phone call recordings to assess where they were excelling and where there was room for improvement. Some days were spent in meetings either being taught new policies or teaching new policies. I would also have to handle escalated calls on a regular basis. When working with Minacs I started as a customer care representative, then started to help train the new hired people on the floor. as the company grew so did I when they offered me a position working with customers that were in what was described as an escalated situation. Within months of that I was offered a position to lead a team of about 15 people. I enjoyed working for Minacs greatly and appreciate the skills I learned there.
stay away awful job
iTunes account and billing (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls OntarioMay 12, 2015
This job doesn't even get a one star in my opinion , first of all training is 3 weeks and you get trained on things you learn in grade 2 not enough time listening to calls or taking calls , so stressful pay is awful should be getting at least 13$ an hour you have to deal with so much stress and trouble shooting , can only book 4 days off a year and u get the same shift for a month with no choice mine was 3 to 1130 Monday Tuesday off , your senior advisors hang up on you when you need help , I walked out one day couldn't handle it !! stay far away turn over rate is CRAZY !!!! No one stays
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
A typical week at work.
Customer Services Representative & Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBMay 11, 2015
A typical day at work was inbound calls from customers wanting to activate their credit cards and then I had 5 minutes, 2 rebuttals and alot of pressure to sell the insurance on the card.

It was the balance protector and I really loved my team leader and the staff at my work so it made the job that much better and easier as I worked day in and day out with the same script and inbound calls.

We also won prizes and money for being a top performer which I was top 10 in the Maritimes in my department.
Pros
incentives, bonus, great staff, fastpaced, job security, and room to advance.
Cons
not flexible and horrible hours, minimum wage, overworked & underpayed
Work environment is easy going
Tier 2 Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 10, 2015
Enjoy the experience that I am receiving with the job and this helps to advance towards my career and the more that I can receive from within the job, the better my skills become

Want to know more about Aditya Birla Minacs?

Ask a question
Fun place to work with great management
Technical support and customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 4, 2015
-Training lasted a month
-Typical shifts were 8 hours
-Had to have an extensive knowledge of Apple products which were developed through training and articles that are available to the employees online.
-Managers were very friendly and helpful
Pros
Fulfilling experience to help out customers
Cons
Handling irate customers and long hours sitting
Intense atmosphere, for little pay.
Csr (Former Employee) –  HamiltonApril 30, 2015
Not enough pay for the job. Stressful. Need to be with good computers, and navigating many different screens. almost all calls are complaints so if you like listening to people complain and solve their problems then this is the job for u.
The people there are the best part. Everyone is super nice.
Pros
People
Cons
Stress and pay
Nice work enviroment
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 29, 2015
Going in & sitting at a computer & taking in calls & helping subscribers with issues they are having with they're vehicles as well as routing them to destinations that they want to go to
Pros
Paid for last break
Cons
Bad hours
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONApril 27, 2015
Honestly, the co-workers are the best thing about working at Minacs. The job itself is stressful and most times you end up telling the "no". If it weren't for my co-workers I would have probably quit a long time ago.
A company in India bought this call center, and it shows.
Email Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 23, 2015
Let's start with the pros - they'll hire anyone. They are desperate for employees. After your first phone interview, you will be called in, and they'll tell you to bring your SIN card and a void check. They'll do walk-in interviews too, and I imagine if you bring those things with you, you'll walk out with a job. They'll take ANYONE, and they provide guaranteed full time work, in a time and region where such work is very hard to come by. Just walk in and get 40 hours a week of minimum wage + a few nickels. Not great, but it beats the park bench.

But you may ask, if it's so easy to get hired, why are they desperate for employees? If it's so easy to get hired, shouldn't they have a surplus of applicants? Well, here are the cons.

First, they expect you to show up 20 minutes before your shift starts, and no, you are not paid for this time. You need this time to find a working computer station with a working keyboard and mouse (most people bring their own), sign in, open the plethora of programs and websites you need, and be prepped and ready to take a call/email the second your shift starts. In any other job I've ever worked at, you are PAID for this setup time. Setup starts when your shift starts, and if it takes half an hour to get set up because their computer stations are garbage and there's not enough keyboards to go around, that's on the EMPLOYER, not you. But that's not how it works at Minacs. You can just come in when your shift starts, sure, but that 20 minutes it takes to get fully signed in and start taking customers is taken off your pay, and you will be disciplined
  more... and eventually fired for repeat "offenses". Being at work without expecting pay is mandatory.

Which brings us to the computer stations themselves. Most of the mice are broken, as are quite a few keyboards. The computers themselves are incredibly slow and buggy. They're all Macs, because our client is Apple and I guess they demanded that, and a week of working here will show you exactly why the business world runs on PCs. It's hilarious how often the software and the computers themselves crash. The programs you use for the job is INCREDIBLY glitchy. You absolutely can expect it to crash in some manner every single day, sometimes two or three times. When this happens, you need to track the time your computer is down, and notify the scheduling team about it so they don't take those minutes you're not signed on from your pay. Notifying the team is itself a convoluted process of emailing and website inputs that will take five minutes from your day. That's five minutes of hurt to your metrics.

Speaking of minutes, that's how hard you are micromanaged. I work in the email support department, and if you go even one minute between emails, the system flags you as inactive and you are not paid until you go back to active mode. You just spent an hour rapid firing off emails, you just need a couple minutes to lean back and stretch? Too bad. So most people take a little longer than they need to while actually IN an email, but if you're caught doing anything like this, you'll be written up for work avoidance. At Minacs, you're not a person, you're a cog. It's as simple as that.

Scheduling is done on a shift bid that doesn't seem to have any basis in anything. They say it goes on a combination of work performance and seniority, with the former trumping the latter, but I've seen a guy with an average of 4 emails an hour getting priority over a guy averaging 8. It's meaningless, it goes by favoritism, nothing else. But what's worst is that most of the schedules are right in the middle of the day. 11-7:30, say. Good luck having anything else going on in your life. And they'll throw on an extra hour whenever they feel like, to make up for absenteeism or poor work performance by your coworkers. Not you. You've never missed a day? Too bad, other people have, and you need to pick up their slack, so here's an hour. Can't work it? There's the door.

Any real management is invisible. They're never at the site. Your only real 'management' comes from team leaders and the next tier in customer support, and if you have a question about how to proceed with a case, every single one of them will give you a different answer. You're actually encouraged in training to note everything everyone tells you to do, so if you are told to do the wrong thing and you then proceed to do the wrong thing, you can point the finger at someone else. Rather than REALLY train people how to do the job , the company just employs a policy of throwing people under the bus. It's amazing, really. Training is lengthy, but largely useless. It focuses more on how to talk to people and identifying meaningless 'personality types', and not enough on actually teaching you what to DO to solve the customer's problem. They'll send you to the floor without knowing something as basic as where to redeem an OS X code in the Mac App Store, but oh, at least you've got some pseudo-psychiatry memorized!

Bathroom breaks ARE paid... but you have to write down how many minutes you took, and email the scheduling department so they will pay you for the time the system had you in unpaid mode. And if you take too MANY bathroom breaks (I think it's 8 minutes max in a day), you'll be written up for schedule adherence. This 8 minutes also includes time you can be late when returning from a break. So that 30 minute lunch time, with the lunch room upstairs on the far end of the building? It includes travel time. A 30 minute lunch is more like 25, and your butt had better be in your seat at the 30 minute mark, prepped and ready to take another email. You can be a minute or two late, sure, it gets taken off your 8 minutes of grace a day. But that's time taken off from the time you're allowed to go to the bathroom. Like I said, you're not a person, you're a cog. Of course, most people again just use email time to sneak to the bathroom if they need to go, but make sure you're not caught.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is respect, human decency, and the lack of it that Minacs provides. It blows my mind how our managers sometimes ask us why morale is so low and why there's so much absenteeism, when they take half an hour of your life without pay to get set up on their broken computers (the program will likely crash the first time you try to sign in), and stand behind you with a stopwatch if god forbid you have to use the bathroom. We're expected to keep ridiculous numbers of customer satisfaction considering half of our emails are denying requests for refunds, and the response template we're expected to follow for every email just makes us sound robotic and annoys the customers to no end.

My advice to management? This isn't India. I know Aditya Birla bought you, but this is North America. If you want absenteeism to go down, if you want productivity and morale to go up, if you want to retain good employees, you need to start treating your employees like human beings. No half decent employee is going to stick around when they have to show up half an hour early without pay and email permission to use the bathroom. In this economy, most employees here are college educated - one person in my training class had a MASTERS, for god's sake - and we know we're worth more than this. I don't care how much productivity you think you'll lose by letting employees go to the bathroom as they please, or letting them take a couple minutes between emails every so often as long as their emails per hour don't suffer, or letting them have a full 30 minutes of relaxing in the lunch room. You're losing far more productivity in employees just plain not giving an expletive due to how they're treated.

The employees know that even the lowest levels of management don't have to adhere to all this garbage. The employees know that virtually no other job has these kinds of demands, even entry levels in burger flipping or retail. The employees of today are skilled and educated, and are only working for you because there's really nowhere else to go in this economy. And if you're going to treat your employees like dirt, you have no one to blame for employee metrics being so low but yourselves.
Pros
Full time work in a region where there is basically none, They'll hire you after the first phone interview, they'll take anyone.
Cons
Hours ensure no work/life balance, Impossible to work around a second job, No job security, No consistency in what you're told, Micromanaged to the minute, Impossible to reach customer satisfaction metrics, Heaps of rules that seemingly exist solely to be defied, No visible management, Expected to show up 20 minutes before your shift unpaid, the first break is unpaid.
review
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 22, 2015
its a good company to work for . But you don't get paid enough for what you so. They demand a lot. The pay should be equal along with all other call centers
The management is wonderful. The trainer are above and beyond excellent. They know how to train
The most enjoyable part of my day is my co-workers. The hardest part is having people yelling in your ears all day.
Pros
good tl
Cons
longs hours and under paid
My first call centre job. Educational and a pleasant change.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBApril 21, 2015
I enjoyed my time with Aditya Birla Minacs and I always had very good performance reviews. Senior management was aloof and seldom had any contact with people on the floor. Training was adequate. We were told not to be concerned about work being done off shore and three months later forty jobs were lost.
There weren't any particularly difficult parts of the job except with new assignments,where they should have provided better training'
Co-workers were great and provided some enjoyable new friendships.
Pros
Learning to be a better team worker.
Cons
Low salary.
productive and supportive co-workers and as well upper management very approachable
customer service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OntarioApril 17, 2015
Great work environment. Very supportive co-workers and upper management and floor managers are very supportive in the success of its staff.
Pros
Great Support
meh
Call centre agent (Former Employee) –  niagara fallsApril 16, 2015
management is silly, the is a group of friends, all management and if your not in that group then you will advance nowhere, but your next job, cheers
A BPO
Team Leader / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 16, 2015
Call Centre environment

When busy, overtime offered
When slow workers were sent home

The company lost some contracts and jobs were lost.