Aditya Birla Minacs

Aditya Birla Minacs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A company in India bought this call center, and it shows.
Email Support Representative (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: Full time work in a region where there is basically none, They'll hire you after the first phone interview, they'll take anyone.
Cons: Hours ensure no work/life balance, Impossible to work around a second job, No job security, No consistency in what you're told, Micromanaged to the minute, Impossible to reach customer satisfaction metrics, Heaps of rules that seemingly exist solely to be defied, No visible management, Expected to show up 20 minutes before your shift unpaid, the first break is unpaid.
Let's start with the pros - they'll hire anyone. They are desperate for employees. After your first phone interview, you will be called in, and they'll tell you to bring your SIN card and a void check. They'll do walk-in interviews too, and I imagine if you bring those things with you, you'll walk out with a job. They'll take ANYONE, and they provide guaranteed full time work, in a time and region where such work is very hard to come by. Just walk in and get 40 hours a week of minimum wage + a few nickels. Not great, but it beats the park bench.

But you may ask, if it's so easy to get hired, why are they desperate for employees? If it's so easy to get hired, shouldn't they have a surplus of applicants? Well, here are the cons.

First, they expect you to show up 20 minutes before your shift starts, and no, you are not paid for this time. You need this time to find a working computer station with a working keyboard and mouse (most people bring their own), sign in, open the plethora of programs and websites you need, and be prepped and ready to take a call/email the second your shift starts. In any other job I've ever worked at, you are PAID for this setup time. Setup starts when your shift starts, and if it takes half an hour to get set up because their computer stations are garbage and there's not enough keyboards to go around, that's on the EMPLOYER, not you. But that's not how it works at Minacs. You can just come in when your shift starts, sure, but that 20 minutes it takes to get fully signed in and start taking customers is taken off your pay, and you will be disciplined – more... and eventually fired for repeat "offenses". Being at work without expecting pay is mandatory.

Which brings us to the computer stations themselves. Most of the mice are broken, as are quite a few keyboards. The computers themselves are incredibly slow and buggy. They're all Macs, because our client is Apple and I guess they demanded that, and a week of working here will show you exactly why the business world runs on PCs. It's hilarious how often the software and the computers themselves crash. The programs you use for the job is INCREDIBLY glitchy. You absolutely can expect it to crash in some manner every single day, sometimes two or three times. When this happens, you need to track the time your computer is down, and notify the scheduling team about it so they don't take those minutes you're not signed on from your pay. Notifying the team is itself a convoluted process of emailing and website inputs that will take five minutes from your day. That's five minutes of hurt to your metrics.

Speaking of minutes, that's how hard you are micromanaged. I work in the email support department, and if you go even one minute between emails, the system flags you as inactive and you are not paid until you go back to active mode. You just spent an hour rapid firing off emails, you just need a couple minutes to lean back and stretch? Too bad. So most people take a little longer than they need to while actually IN an email, but if you're caught doing anything like this, you'll be written up for work avoidance. At Minacs, you're not a person, you're a cog. It's as simple as that.

Scheduling is done on a shift bid that doesn't seem to have any basis in anything. They say it goes on a combination of work performance and seniority, with the former trumping the latter, but I've seen a guy with an average of 4 emails an hour getting priority over a guy averaging 8. It's meaningless, it goes by favoritism, nothing else. But what's worst is that most of the schedules are right in the middle of the day. 11-7:30, say. Good luck having anything else going on in your life. And they'll throw on an extra hour whenever they feel like, to make up for absenteeism or poor work performance by your coworkers. Not you. You've never missed a day? Too bad, other people have, and you need to pick up their slack, so here's an hour. Can't work it? There's the door.

Any real management is invisible. They're never at the site. Your only real 'management' comes from team leaders and the next tier in customer support, and if you have a question about how to proceed with a case, every single one of them will give you a different answer. You're actually encouraged in training to note everything everyone tells you to do, so if you are told to do the wrong thing and you then proceed to do the wrong thing, you can point the finger at someone else. Rather than REALLY train people how to do the job , the company just employs a policy of throwing people under the bus. It's amazing, really. Training is lengthy, but largely useless. It focuses more on how to talk to people and identifying meaningless 'personality types', and not enough on actually teaching you what to DO to solve the customer's problem. They'll send you to the floor without knowing something as basic as where to redeem an OS X code in the Mac App Store, but oh, at least you've got some pseudo-psychiatry memorized!

Bathroom breaks ARE paid... but you have to write down how many minutes you took, and email the scheduling department so they will pay you for the time the system had you in unpaid mode. And if you take too MANY bathroom breaks (I think it's 8 minutes max in a day), you'll be written up for schedule adherence. This 8 minutes also includes time you can be late when returning from a break. So that 30 minute lunch time, with the lunch room upstairs on the far end of the building? It includes travel time. A 30 minute lunch is more like 25, and your butt had better be in your seat at the 30 minute mark, prepped and ready to take another email. You can be a minute or two late, sure, it gets taken off your 8 minutes of grace a day. But that's time taken off from the time you're allowed to go to the bathroom. Like I said, you're not a person, you're a cog. Of course, most people again just use email time to sneak to the bathroom if they need to go, but make sure you're not caught.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is respect, human decency, and the lack of it that Minacs provides. It blows my mind how our managers sometimes ask us why morale is so low and why there's so much absenteeism, when they take half an hour of your life without pay to get set up on their broken computers (the program will likely crash the first time you try to sign in), and stand behind you with a stopwatch if god forbid you have to use the bathroom. We're expected to keep ridiculous numbers of customer satisfaction considering half of our emails are denying requests for refunds, and the response template we're expected to follow for every email just makes us sound robotic and annoys the customers to no end.

My advice to management? This isn't India. I know Aditya Birla bought you, but this is North America. If you want absenteeism to go down, if you want productivity and morale to go up, if you want to retain good employees, you need to start treating your employees like human beings. No half decent employee is going to stick around when they have to show up half an hour early without pay and email permission to use the bathroom. In this economy, most employees here are college educated - one person in my training class had a MASTERS, for god's sake - and we know we're worth more than this. I don't care how much productivity you think you'll lose by letting employees go to the bathroom as they please, or letting them take a couple minutes between emails every so often as long as their emails per hour don't suffer, or letting them have a full 30 minutes of relaxing in the lunch room. You're losing far more productivity in employees just plain not giving an expletive due to how they're treated.

The employees know that even the lowest levels of management don't have to adhere to all this garbage. The employees know that virtually no other job has these kinds of demands, even entry levels in burger flipping or retail. The employees of today are skilled and educated, and are only working for you because there's really nowhere else to go in this economy. And if you're going to treat your employees like dirt, you have no one to blame for employee metrics being so low but yourselves. – less
Feels like being in high school again.
Bell Aliant Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBMay 7, 2014
Pros: great team leads, incentives, tons of hours
Cons: extreme difficulty at being an organized company
I worked for Minacs for about 6 months before finding a profession in my field. During these six months , I can not say that I was overly impressed with any part of Minacs.
To start off , they are constantly hiring (2-3 classes of 20 or so people per month at my centre alone) because they can not keep the customer representative they have. After discussing this issue with management , I found out that in a months time it is possible to lose around 40 employees (A good example is that from the training class after mine , they hired 18, there are 4 left and all of them have put in their two weeks notice). When I was hired , they didn't have the space to accommodate a new training class as there were already 2 in effect so we were put in a dark corner in the back of the centre where we didn't have any hands on training until the class before us "graduated". We did not have a formal trainer so they had two reps from the sales team teach us (I am in no way complaining about the trainers I had at the start as they were wonderful but still did not have the appropriate training to be a Minacs trainer). Halfway through , they decide to switch trainers to a formal one so in the span of six weeks , I was trained by three different employees.
For bilingual people ; if you are expecting to have your regular bilingual wage as soon as you start working for Minacs , think again ! You are not allowed to have your premium until you hit the floor (six weeks after you are hired) even though you are expected to learn all the terminology and promotions for francophones without the assistance of any – more... trainers (as of course , there are none who speak French).
After graduating , I was put on a team with a wonderful manager who really cared about her team. She had been promoted before , then demoted as Minacs had decided they didn't need her in management and then was upgraded to manager once more when my team graduated as there were more reps on the floor. Two weeks into being with this team , she is demoted again due to the fact that a manager who was on paternal came back so clearly no management job is secure. Two weeks after being on his team , he quits and I am transferred teams once more and then a week later transferred teams again. After only being on the floor for 3 months , I was changed 4 teams. There was no consistency.
As for the hours , they do usually give you full time hours. There are usually two shifts you could work - 830 am to 5 pm or 12 pm to 9 pm except on Mondays where you are REQUIRED to work 11 hour days. However , except your shifts to change with NO warning (especially over the weekend , it's your responsibility to check your schedule every night to make sure it hasn't changed) and to be given forced vacation. In April, they decided to force vacation time on every representative even the ones who had put requests in for later/earlier (those people lost their vacation time). Then , the rest of April they cut everyone's hours lower than what was on the contract we signed when we started out which is not exactly supposed to happen. Many people complained but nothing was done about it. THEY ALSO DON'T DO SICK LEAVE AND WILL NOT ACCOMMODATE YOU IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN/PREVIOUS ENGAGEMENTS. I was out for two weeks due to an illness (all documented) and instead of counting it as sick leave , they just used all of my sick days , meaning that in February, I already had none left. There were also two instances where mothers requested that for two weeks their schedule be changed to days (only for those two weeks) as they did not have any way to have the child supervised (and on this salary there is no way you can pay for child care and a babysitter) and they were denied. Unless you can find someone to trade with you , don't expect anyone to help you with your schedule (they aren't big on time off).
The dress code is excessively strict (more than when you were in school which I find ridiculous) and they do tend to pick on some people more than others for it.
The information is constantly changing so it is very hard to provide customers with accurate information because what was right last week may not be this week. They do provide training on it ... Often 2 weeks after this has been put in effect.
The systems are absolutely horrible. They have not been updated in around a decade so they do stop working often. It takes around 15 -20 minutes (if your system is working well) to log in every day (out of your own time or course). They are trying to develop a new one but so far you can only so minimal orders on I and it takes much more time than doing I manually.
The last thing is that if you are French , this is probably not where you want to be. You will be constantly taking calls (back to back all day) , there are barely any sales opportunities for French people if you are in the customer service queue and there are no French management to assist you. You are not allowed to trade with anyone other than bilinguals that are in your queue - the problem is that there are at most 10 francophones , and only 3-4 per queue meaning you can only ask 3 people to switch and usually it's a no.
Now for the positives , the Team Leads were absolutely phenomenal and constantly worked with you for you to better your sales/targets. They would cheer you on if you got sales and there are a TON of incentives if you are good at selling. Most of the representatives were nice (albeit a lot of drama and gossip so it was a lot like high school). You did get full hours and commission (although hard to attain until you move up from the customer care queue to
Sales) .
It can be fun, can be rewarding and you do sometimes get days where it is slow so you can have time to chat with friends. There are a ton of incentives (gift cards , prizes, money) to be won if youre a good seller. The people from HR are supportive and try their best to be understanding. They also have committees that set up fun lunches/games/prizes.
However,If you are looking for an organized company, this is not the job for you. – less
What you see is never what you get
iTunes Store Senior Advisor (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJune 1, 2013
Pros: if you are outgoing you can make some decent friends, fairly relaxed office environment that is decently maintained, online schedule management and trade board, most of the year you get full time hours, itunes side is much more relaxed, metrics are attainable.
Cons: management, enforcement of rules is based entirely on your popularity, things such as metrics schedule hours change constantly, don't expect that what you have is set for any longer than a few months, not the greatest schedule for those with children
Unfortunately, it is a contact center. Therefore, you must be prepared for the constant changes associated with such an environment. As far as contact centers go, this is probably one of the better ones, as typical work days are relaxed, in a fairly well kept office environment. There are some times you would wonder if they even hired a cleaning staff, but I don't think that has to do with the company itself, more so the management choices (hiring a proper cleaning company) - which leads to the biggest downfall of this organization (at least, the Niagara Falls site). Having been an employee of this company who was well liked by both coworkers and management, I can honestly say I've never worked among a bigger bunch of high school minded clowns in my entire life. They are constantly tweaking, and making changes / starting initiatives that only serve to save face, and paint a pretty picture of the management, when in reality, (and this comes from direct experience interacting with management) - they think everyone on the floor are the bottom feeders of this society. It's quite shameful the amount of bashing, and negative speak of fellow employees that flows around the management of this organization. Needless to say, they recently had some of their worst employee satisfaction results in history. Until this company overhauls the management, and replaces the existing folks with competent individuals, the company will continue to be the attrition machine that it currently is.

My co-workers were very enjoyable, but all suffered from the same condition - severe disappointment with – more... their job. The pay is terrible (barely over minimum wage to start) - and the hours are dreadful (6 am - 11:30 pm operation). If you are friendly and kiss enough *you know what* , managers are generally decent about accommodating your requests for changes to schedule. They have a decent online schedule management system that can be used (at the office or at home) to set up trades and request schedule changes without direct manager contact required. If you are someone who is a little more introverted, and likes to keep to themselves, prepare to feel like you are working in hell.

Like all call centers, this office engages in the practice of making the job very attractive to newcomers (great benefits, flexible hours, etc) - until a solid core of individuals are in place and happy / willing to assist new hires. Over time (I spent 4 years here and saw all of this unfold with an almost predictable precision) - they hire new people at lower rates / less perks, and begin making life difficult for those original (more expensive) employees. By Year 2, I wondered what it was about this job / company that initially attracted me, because all of the perks/ benefits had been scaled back with exception to a nice condensed 4 day work week (10 hour shifts). Eventually, this, and my full time hours were taken from me, and when I voiced concern about it to upper management, their response was very simply "If you don't like it, leave"

All in all, if you are looking for an easy job (basic computer skills and phone skills required) - that has decent security (they do work for Apple, and have a long standing good relationship with them) - this place is for you (But make sure you are applying for the iTunes side of the operation - the technical support side is far far worse, and you'll be surrounded by a group of very miserable people - nitpicky managers, and horrible hours).

If you can do without a management staff that has no idea how to balance business needs with employee satisfaction - as well as an environment where everything you say spreads like the T-virus... you may wish to look elsewhere. – less
Psychologically a very difficult place to work
Customer Contact Representative (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: Cafeteria on site, friendly team leaders, benefits after probation
Cons: Long hours, irregular days off, made to feel disposable, broken equipment, etc
There are hundreds of workers on the floor at a time, but no structured seating. So, every day you're working beside someone that you've never seen before. Team Leaders change weekly, and notifications are sent out by email which let you know their name. You cannot email out, so issues with your Team Leader must be done in person (only an issue if you haven't met them yet and don't know what they look like). Most chairs and desks are broken, so it's difficult to find a place to work before your shift. It can take about 20 minutes, and usually you end up settling for something that's close enough. The hours can be very long and your days off could be at opposite ends of the week. So, you could end up working 11 hour shifts for almost 2 weeks before seeing a day off. The time between calls is about 3 seconds, so there's no time to take a sip of coffee, for example, and the average call is about 45 seconds. Employees are expected to keep up to date on emails and forums between calls (again, about 3 seconds between calls). There is a substantial amount of information to read, and forum articles have a quiz at the end of each to make sure that you're absorbing the information. There is always a possibility that you're going to get an emergency call, even if you're not in that department. The turn over rate is very high, which can be depressing. Not 1 person from my training class of about 25 was still there a month after training finished. Emails were sent out from time to time saying it was too busy, so bathroom breaks wouldn't be permitted for the next x amount of time. The possibility – more... of something close to a Monday-Friday, 9 - 5 is about 0, even for employees that have been there for years and years. We were also told once that in the event of an emergency, we were not allowed to leave until we were given a go ahead and calls had been routed to another location first. The specific example of a bomb threat and tornado was given. In the event of a bomb threat, we were expected to continue to take calls while police/police dogs searched the building. There was a cafeteria downstairs, which was nice, but the service was really slow and the breaks weren't very long, so you wouldn't have time to finish your meal before heading back to the phones. And lastly, when I started, we were given the sick line number, but was not told that you also had to call a second number to speak to your team leader. During training, the class was reminded almost daily that we might be "asked not to come back". As a bottom line, it's run as a well oiled machine, but you as a person are disposable and they will remind you of that on a regular basis (as a class, or team, etc), and you are very anonymous. – less
A depressing place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), ChathamSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: learning new systems, when you actually get to help a customer
Cons: cannot make future plans, not a lot of help, bad attitudes, unorganized, crowded, stressful
I went in to this job knowing it would be stressful and that the turnover rate is really high. I thought I would be able to stick it out for at least a year or so.. I was wrong. The training for the job was great and very thorough but nothing can really prepare you for once you hit the floor. It was so difficult at first because it was often very tough to find a supervisor/TL for questions or assistance. I felt like I was guessing most of the time.

Many TLs clearly could not care less about helping anyone (employees nor customers). I came across many situations that TLs often did not know the answer to either and would just guess to give you an answer and shut you up. I avoided my TL specifically because when I would walk up to her to ask a question when I first came out of training she was clearly very annoyed.

There are nice people that work there and that are willing to help out, but for the most part the atmosphere of the place is very depressing. No one wants to be there. No one wants to really help a customer. I was shocked during training when I would hear agents put customers on mute and mock them while they were still talking on the line.

Making any future plans is near impossible since you cannot book days off. You can only trade shifts which only successfully happens once in a blue moon (I only successfully traded a shift once in my 6 months there).

While I was employed at Minacs they were expanding a lot, running tons of training classes and basically just dumping people onto the floor wherever they could fit them. There was not enough support or room for all – more... of the people that they were hiring (although the amount of people they were hiring was necessary since calls were POURING in). Any coaching or team meetings that were ever scheduled got cancelled because there was not enough support. In my six months there I was probably coached 3 times and had never been to a team meeting. Another thing that added a lot of stress to the job was that they never allowed you the time that you need to call customer's back to follow up (yet you would get in trouble if you did not do so). This was also because they did not have the necessary amount of staff to handle the call volume.

At the end of my six months employed at Minacs I was more stressed out, drained, and desperate to leave than I had ever been. The day I quit was a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.

The job itself is not what I found horrible, it was the surroundings, attitudes, lack of support/help, and unorganization that made the job unbearable for myself.

P.S: the bathrooms are disgusting. – less
Do Not Work Here
Onstar Agent (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: good people to meet
Cons: cleanliness of entire call centre, constantly changing scripting, favoritism, location
Aditya Birla Minacs in Oshawa, ON. Lets start with the good. You will meet some great people. People that you can definitely call "friend". After this, there are only negatives. I had the great displeasure of working for Onstar, General Motors' in-vehicle navigation and assistance system. If you work in the Subscriber department, get ready to spend 9 1/2 hours talking to idiotic drivers on refurbished headsets, broken chairs, and filthy workstations. Forget about sitting with people you know or even your team leader. There are no assigned desks so you could be across the room from anyone you may know. If you happen to work for the sales team setting up the Onstar service for new and returning customers, get ready to be sabotaged on a daily basis by dealer sales reps looking to make themselves look better in front of the customers by revealing company sales scripting. The result: the dealer rep looks good by revealing inside information to the customer and you miss out on sales, commission, and your stats suffer as a whole. Then there's the management. Consider yourself lucky if you are assigned to a team leader that genuinely wants you to do better and will help you to accomplish your service and sales goals. These good team leaders are few and far between. You will see first hand favoritism towards some agents and laziness from team leaders as they pass the buck to team leaders that actually do the work. You will see first hand agents that barely spend time on the phone and are walking around and never get in trouble. Only because they have high sales numbers. If you are thinking – more... of applying at Minacs, please dont do it. The place is a black hole and nobody is happy to be there, unless of course you're part of the management and you pretty much get paid for nothing. There's a reason they are always hiring. It is because after finishing training, people see the reality of what that place is really like. You are nothing more than a warm body that could never take enough calls and are doing more and more without any raise in pay. And if you do end up working there and don't have a car, buses stop running at 11pm and don't run at all on Sundays. So get ready to spend most of your daily wages getting to and leaving work if you're stuck on some insane schedule, and yes you will be put on a ridiculous schedule. Stay away from this place at all costs. – less
Really poor management
Customer Care Agent- CCA (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: opportunities for advancement
Cons: obstacles to advancement
At Minacs I find it difficult to keep an positive attitude. They stress that the customer is number one parodied , however the customers are at the mercie of poor floor management. There are three computer programs for provisioning customers accounts. Only one of the programs can provisioning from A to Z (CSM), which is the most difficult program to learn. Instead of up training the employee's that are there, they just keep hiring new people and train them with the latest program. This creates frustration and low manorial with those still forced to work with inadequate programs that limits their abilities to make commission on sales, even if they have taking the in to learn the system on there owe, they are forbidden to use it. There is a sales team, however all employee's are under pressure to make four sales a shift. Thou I am in customer care que, which means all other department will transfer there customer to customer care que for all corrections of billing, service issues, install and changes to their appointments, lowering their bill by changing their services, TSS (temporary season suspension) etc. When a customer wants to add or began service they are prompt to the sales department not CCA (customer care agent). As well if you don't tack the sales you have made they will be stolen. Mainly cause of the system, if a sales person on the floor or in the store makes an error in provisioning the customers order, the agent who corrects the order has now been placed as the agent who made the sale. Simply because to upgrade the system has been deem to costly. Thou the company – more... is owned by the leading Indian multinational conglomerate valued at $40 billion, the Dartmouth location turned a 6 million dollar profit in there first quarter of 2013. They have cut your hours with no notice calling it MVTO (Mandatory voluntary time off) and you can not refuse. Overall this is counter productive for the goals of the company and their employee's. – less
wished i could have stayed if the circumstances were different.
customer service representative (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONDecember 20, 2015
Pros: three weeks of paid training
Cons: not enough training for backdoor and for not having help .
I worked there for 5 weeks in the chatham branch . The management was all over the place. When you had a question you were talked down to like you were stupid and like you should already know the answer to . You had to guess what to do . You had to spend almost an hour unpaid looking for a place to sit and if there wasnt any places then your pay was docked and you were advised you were not being efficient atnyour station. They didnt train us enough to know what to do in complicated situations with customers and dealerships. Most of the young employees made it feel like school talking about their intimate lives while your trying to be professional on the line with customers and discuss their matters. When they were not working they were congregating around people who werent and the one sided headphones made it very difficult to hear . Individuals who worked there if they had medical concerns they were perceived as not worthy of being able to use the washroom unless it was in the alloted time frame . The worst part was not having adequate work stations that had a computer that worked and didnt freeze all the time and having to run around trying to find a supervisor to correct the problems. Then the head office in india would dock your pay because their computers in chatham office quit working and would render you helpless while trying to complete your call with no programs or windows open. Not being able to leave your desk for break cause your on a call and when you go to take your break time that is allotted when you do get off the phone and they tell you you were late when you – more... took the exact time you would be allotted. I quit because of my health reasons declining, the stress of the job and just being overly frustrated by the conditions in which i was placed with no help. – less
this is a nightmare on a beautiful lakeside setting
subscriber advisor (Current Employee), OntarioFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: nice view during lunchbreak
Cons: the list is relatively endless
I have read several of the reviews for this workplace and all of them were very kind. I too was working for the OnStar division, subscriber segment to be precise, and it was worse than anything I could have imagined. While in training you were mislead from the interview on. You were told raises would come at a 3 month period when they came a 6 months, you were forced to pay for criminal reference checks and credit reports that you never got a copy of, forced to work with sub-standard equipment in the form of headsets and the workstations are filthy and the chairs are stained with everything from food to blood. You are constantly reassured that there will be plenty of professional support once you are out of the various stages of training, but once you are on your own help is hard to find, and management is always looking to thin the heard, the truly good supervisors, the ones who care about staff are often targeted as not being team players because they care about the welfare of the people working there, and not just generating profits for management, and meeting quotas and making sales projections. I can say with some confidence Elaine Minacs would be rolling over in her grave if she knew what the present owners had done to her beloved company!
The most you can earn salary wise here is $12.80, its not a hard job to by-pass, unless you are a glutton for punishment, don't apply ton Minacs.
Nice place to start of in customer service.
OnStar Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 10, 2015
Pros: benefits, overtime, quick career paths, you'll feel great helping others
Cons: management above advisers, atmosphere, wage
The job is a mixed bag. Comes with benefits and you are almost guaranteed to move through the company to different departments. Pay is bi-weekly. Hours are all over the place, so don't get too comfortable what times you work.

Management needs to be moved around a bit, some are not really self motivated and need to be reminded to do a certain request. What you realize is you'll be best off figuring out most of everything for yourself and relying on your co-workers. This will help keep you a float.

You'll make friends for sure, but job atmosphere is quite depressing. Definitely many different factors that play into this. However, they are working on getting some sort of social club going to assist this. I'm not sure if that's the most effective way to address it.

Pay as adviser is nothing worth bating an eye at. Overtime is abundant, so take advantage of it since it's always available.

Was fun on the phones helping customers with OnStar, of course there was the odd grumpy customer, every now and again. Nothing too out of the ordinary however.

The turnover rate here is the biggest I've ever seen. Always new people coming in, job fairs etc. Company expanding? Not really, just a lot of people coming and going. This could be addressed if they treated those they have a little better etc.

On a good note however, it really feels great helping people through OnStar.
Deceitful, unorganized, and no value for employees.
Email representative. (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, OntarioDecember 20, 2013
Pros: some benefits, good coworkers, not overly gritty
Cons: deceitful, no value for employees, horrible company.
I would highly discourage applying at this company. It started off nice. Decent training and a good transition into the working environment. Every person is assigned to a team with a team leader. Teams leaders for the most part seemed helpful, professional, and caring. We were told coaching would always be provided if quotas were not being met, and we should always first focus on quality over numbers. I was achieving very high quality rating from customer reviews and turned countless frustrated customers into satisfied ones. My numbers were also increasing daily. One day my computer experienced an error and I lost a tool vital to my work performance. My productivity that day went significantly down. I informed my team leader of this and she said that sometime's that happens and not to worry, and to take some time to correct the issue. The next day I was fired on the spot. No warning given whatsoever. This was 2 weeks before Christmas. I was disgusted at the lack of value this company has for its employees. A company which I was rather pleased to work for, and one that I was excelling in customer service for had fired me because of one small issue which was entirely their fault. This company has a history of such dishonest and questionable behaviour. I would avoid working here at all costs. This company doesn't deserve your employment. It has a high turnover rate for a reason. If you're desperate for a job, work at Mcdonalds, not here.
Sucks the life out of you
Customer Service (Subscriber) (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: as many hours as you want
Cons: abusive customers, pressure from management, low pay
In a regular day you sit at a desk with a computer and phone. You aren't allowed to use books or cellphones. You take calls back to back with realistically 1-3 seconds between calls. You can expect to take around 250-300 calls per shift.

Customers are generally impatient and will often abuse you, insult you or sometimes threaten you. 9/10 of the calls are from the US.

Procedures and scripting are constantly changing. You do weekly quizzes. You are always learning as OnStar uses you as lab rats with different scripting.

There is an extremely high turn over rate. New people are coming in all the time. Example: Minacs recently hired a training class of 27 people and after 1 month, 3 people were left. Minacs rarely fires, the majority of people leave once they get on the phones.

After a regular 9.5 hour shift, you feel sore from the seats and mentally drained and depleted from all the insults and pressure provided from customers.

Management is always tell you how to be better and do your job better.

In the customer service department (where 9/10 people are hired to), new tasks and responsibilities are added for the same low pay.

Minacs always has a shortage of staff and works the ones they have like dogs for slightly over minimum wage.

Ask pretty much any employee from here, this company will suck the life out of you and make you very miserable.
Worst Place Ever
Subscriber (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 19, 2015
Pros: non
Cons: everything
This is the worst place ever to work. After training, you are thrown to the wolves. You learn as you go. There is favouritism with those on the phones as well as management. There are people that constantly get away with not being on the phones and you are left to pick up the slack. Its noisy,smells and the equipment is dreadful. Broken chairs,headsets,desks and computers. You are also on a job bid. This means that you bid on the hours you would like to work and the days off..good luck getting what you want because they do not show you how to do it and its one of the rare opportunities where your senority counts. Its depressing and dark in there and if you are in the subscriber department then your calls will be from rude Americans who cant find their way out of a parking lot. They are impatient and dont care that you are trying to help them. Also be prepared for taking up to 2000 calls a week and receive no thanks. management does not support you and when you have questions you have to put your caller on hold and hunt down someone to answer that question for you. it is very stressful and they constantly threaten you with the loss of your job. Unless you are on valium you wont last. Also, the buses do not run after 7pm so be prepared to cab it or go for a long walk to Simcoe St. Minacs has a high turnover rate because they cant keep the good people there with the current working conditions.
Minacs in a few words.
CSR (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: great people, willing to some times work around personal needs.
Cons: lack of open door policy, hard to talk to management about things ( personal or work related), too much he said she said business.
Minacs is a place that is easy to get in to but its not all they show it up to be. Things are not always as they seem.
Things get very chaotic as no one seems to know what any one else is doing. The " information " that is given to us for my project is lacking. There is always something that is missing or hasn't been told or just found out.There is no organizational skills with in management.
The people, other CSR's, are great to work with. Upbeat and energetic.
I have learned how to manage multiple systems as well as time management when it comes to needing things done in a timely manner.
The hardest part of my job is knowing how the place ticks. I find that management and client relationships are not up to par and this causes problems for the CRS's.
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to met all of the new people, learning about the ones you have worked with for a long time. Having a good working relationship with the people you spend most of your time with. Minacs has a lot of good people and a lot of potential.
Fantastic Place to Work
Technical Support Service Representative (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: great environment, great pay, excellent and easy to handle work
Cons: hard to get to without own vehicle, hours were all over the place
My experience working at Aditya Birla Minacs, in the Niagara Falls branch was a highly positive one. I was only employed there for three months due to some issues that came up, however when my Fiance's grandmother passed they didn't even hesitate to give me the week I needed off, as well as giving me some paid bereavement days to boot.

My team lead was an exceptionally nice person, and so were most of the team leads there, I was not able to meet them all.

Co-workers had an overall positive attitude towards the work, and the company itself. They were all very likeable as well.

The hardest part about the job honestly was solely getting there without owning your own vehicle. However, they did attempt to make it easier for us to get there by offering free cab rides from the Niagara Square if we had a bus transfer ticket.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers, they were all so very nice and easy to talk to. There were some stubborn ones, but there always are.
challenging job, isn't for everyone
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Minacs, OshawaApril 26, 2014
Pros: good pay compared to any other call center, they really try with the benefits, some customers are really good
Cons: no personal life, 44 hours work week, software, sometimes very snubbish rude customers
Like any job, sometimes you have good and sometimes bad days

I've read the other reviews, Oshawa is really good at times, pay is OK,

some days you feel you're not being paid enough when you're working on a weekend or having a customer screaming at you because of a mistake someone else did before you

Other days you have lots of good people you've helped and sincerely appreciate your effort

Work times are hectic, bit of a challenge keeping up with personal life, some days you work just below the allowed numbers of what would be over time 44 hours

You get lots of overtime opportunities

Very high turnover rate, there's always a new group of people being trained, your upper management seem to be really trying to make things work, the lower management who are your direct bosses are sometimes bit non responsive or distracted when you need them the most

Not saying that this is a bad job, if anything I have times where I appreciate or enjoy it, just isn't for everyone
Overall good for short-term employment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Chatham, ONOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Dress down days, recruitement incentives
Cons: long hours, bad scheduling, inability to return phone calls/emails in timely manner
Overall experience with this company has been average. They have wonderful employees to work with, and offer great benefits and incentives for job referrals, however they do not have the best time management for working with staff in regards to home life, emergencies, and other responsibilities.

Currently been working with them for an ongoing issue and have yet to receive an answer from management. This discourages myself, my family, and other employees who are aware of the situation. In my case they have shown no empathy towards this situation and are more focused on making money than ensuring employee safety.

They also have issues with scheduling. Many employees receive incorrect schedules and must make emergency/last minute arrangements to ensure their family is taken care of, rather than the scheduling department resolving the issue as it should have been.

I will state that they are fantastic people in general, however there is lots of room for improvement.
Good Salary , Awesome Co-Workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Riverview, NBJuly 30, 2013
Pros: good salary, awesome co-workers
Calling Center
I was an account supervisor for Capital One (Credit Cards)
They didn't care if you had a life outside of work .. Work was now you're life.
Shift Bids is how the schedule was made !! Weather it worked for you or not.
+ extended hours ,was not a choice , if there were shown on your schedule.. YOU HAD to start earlier ! Regular shift .. 11-7 with extended .. 9h30-7 .. in front of a computer ! You had to love your job LOL , witch was basically handling customers account & complaints & making things right !

Most enjoyable part of the job , was the breaks & lunch & your co-workers ! You meet AWESOME people who often times have the same opinion of the job as you do , so they could relate to your frustration.

Management was falling apart . They were all about team work when neither of them could stand each other. Bad mouthing one an other from a department to another .

What I actually learned from that place , is how a calling center works.How to talk to different types of personalities on the phone.
Giving the right friendly service over the phone !
a stepping stone opposed to a career
Customer service advisor (Former Employee), Oshawa, OnMay 27, 2015
Pros: the jobs there and you'll get hired
Cons: long hours, short breaks, bad schedules
The workplace at Minacs is very mentally draining with a high volume of calls for 9 hours, you have 3 breaks; two of them 15 minutes and one lunch break of a half hour, the management is quite difficult to deal with, if you want to have sundays off for faith, consider it imposible this a life decision 100% neither understood or appreciated. The training modules are out of date which cause set backs while learning but the handouts are helpful, training is heavily based off of mere completion of tests so regardless of understanding you'll get through it answers are read out to the training room in a checklist fashion, many people in your class will quite the first week out of training and slowly but surely your personal life will take a toll from exhaustion, the people are great though, job just has little to no support for personal life balance
Takes what WAS a great paying job, strips it of value, and tricks naive students into doing it for peanuts
OnStar Customer Service (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: evil, bribe you with cupcakes to make you forget how little you make, spiteful vengeful management, takes advantage of people who are desperate
An unethical company, through and through.

**DO NOT** **DO NOT sign up for their "training program" through Niagara College. Doing so makes you, legally, a student and exempts you from any rights you might have had under the Employment Standards Act. They can literally mistreat you however they want, fire you on a whim, and you have no legal basis for complaint.

Working for Minacs, you are doing a gruelling call centre job that somebody else is making $30 per hour to do, because they work directly for the client. However, you work for third-party con-artists, so you only get paid $12 per hour for the same job.

The only way you can make decent money at Minacs is if you are willing to spend every waking moment in a call-centre.
Employees