Counsellor Assistant Job Description:
Addiction Canada is committed to providing withdrawal management, assessment, group work, and counselling treatment to persons who have been impacted by substance use in our fully private residential treatment setting. Addiction Canada is also committed to education for the families and recognizes the dignity and self-worth of individuals and adopts an individualized approach to treatment.
We pride ourselves on providing both contemporary and holistic cures for our clients. As part of our comprehensive package, we have a wide range of accommodations ranging from a more traditional medical setting found at our Caledon Center to a more luxurious resort style setting found at our Pickerel Lake Center. Our two main treatment facilities employ a full medical staff made up of Addiction Doctors, RN, RPN and PSW. As well a Clinical Staff of Psychotherapists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists Addiction Therapists and Counselors.
The main focus of this position is to provide the opportunity for those entering into the field to gain knowledge and experience working in a residential treatment setting. The counsellor assistant helps clients to understand and address substance abuse and related problems, including family dynamics, and lifestyle changes.
The counsellor assistant is expected to work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of professionals within the organization and to establish and maintain partnerships with Doctors, Psychiatrists and others that would be productive for the client’s recovery.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Monitoring clients daily activities
- Facilitating and monitoring groups and activities
- Assist in the delivery of services which include intake and assessment, orienting clients with the agency expectations, depending on whether the client has been through withdrawal and can understand. This will need to be addressed again when the client has been with us for a couple of days.
- Conducting a brief assessment within the first 24 hours again depending on the stability of the client.
- Providing to the client what the next steps are.
- Providing all information to reception for room placement and client/counsellor lists.
To assist in providing treatment services by and case management:
- Assisting clients in developing skills to achieve and maintain treatment goals through activities such as relapse prevention strategies, guided self-change, FAMILY INTERVENTION, and aftercare activities.
- Adhering to a client-centered, counselling approach using the Recovery workbook, Big Book, best practice, stages of change, motivational interviewing. The Recovery Workbook is to be used as directed by the policy of the centre. With the supervisor counsellor, program Director and other staff clearly identify a primary counsellor and a secondary, remembering that all clients are the responsibility of every staff.
- Linking to and working co-operatively with outside specialists if necessary.
- Ensuring comprehensive documentation is completed for each client. This must be inputted to e-charting; it also must be copied and put in the client’s files. This eliminates power outages and losing e-charts.
- Conducting internal consultations and case conferences as required.
- Closing client files and giving the information to reception.
- To monitor meals
- To do scheduled checks of client rooms
Professional Development and Program development:
- Attending staff meetings
- Monitoring and maintaining established agency procedures for health, safety, and fire codes.
- Participating in all training that is provides and continuing professional development through upgrading, networking, courses on line workshops and seminars that will enhance skills and knowledge of substance abuse and related issues.
- Participating in program development and assessment.
- Participating and contributing to Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
Job Specification Addiction Counsellor:
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in Addiction,
- Previous work in the field of Addiction
- A sound clinical understanding of substance abuse and a strong knowledge of motivational interviewing, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), stages of change, best practices and proven treatment modalities.
- Basic understanding of concurrent disorders, youth, sexual diversity and family dynamics.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, observation and counselling skills. Excellent documentation, presentation, organization and time management skills.
- Basic computer and keyboard skills.
We pride ourselves on providing both contemporary and holistic cures for our clients. As part of our comprehensive package, we have a wide...