Here’s the corporate dribble HR made us put at the top of this ad listing: Acro Media is looking for a Developer to help build out solutions to drive our dynamic & interactive client Web sites.
That’s done. Now here’s what we really want. Some cool individual who loves but is not owned by the code. Someone who can drop lines of code like it’s their native tongue but still talk to our crew comfortably and sometimes even the odd client.
We consider ourselves a laid back bunch, but driven to do good for our customers. We’re looking for low egos, and high skills. We don’t expect you to have 10 years experience, we expect you to have clean coding ability, and the willingness to learn. We love a young, fresh genius looking to get some top level work experience under his or her belt.
We aren’t looking to stick you in a corner (no one puts Baby in a corner) with headphones on and call you “the IT department”. Developers own this joint; we get it. If you’re desperate to break free from that office life where you co-workers have never even heard of Minecraft, and want to come on board to build kick-ass eCom sites, apps, games, corporate gems, and some Acro driven ventures, keep reading.
Here’s some things we pride ourselves on being able to offer our staff:
- A relaxed atmosphere: If you like wearing a tie to work, this place may be too ‘different’ for you. Then again, that would be your uniqueness.
- 7 hour days: We ask for 7 hours of dedication each day. Don’t worry, if you work more, no one will chastise you.
- Flex start times: Do you prefer to start at 8:00? 9:00? We’ll work with you.
- Boating, skiing/boarding, hiking, wining & dining, mountain biking and more: Smack dab in the middle of the Okanagan in BC. Live an epic lifestyle.
- Free stuff: Juice, pop, and coffee; choose your pleasure and enjoy – a fully stocked beverage fridge to hit up any time you’d like.
- Slappies: Tougher to explain but once a month we get together and have a little ceremony, no altars or corporate chants involved; but there is cake, beer and prizes.
- Fun day: We aim to have fun every day, however, every year for a day we cram a bunch of fun on ourselves. Golfing, go carting, pubing…. Weee!
- SPARC Events: Sometimes we have an in-house breakfast, team building event (less corny than it sounds) or just a plain little reward for no reason. It’s a little spark in our usually normal days.
- Culture: We’re a certain type of people. We’re all a little different and unique in our own way but we seem to work well together. No one’s perfect and we embrace that. We take our work seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. Come and meet us. Feel free to dissect what and how we do what we do.
All careers come with a 30 day no-questions asked money-back-guarantee. If you are in any way unsatisfied with your career, we will return you to the workforce at absolutely NO COST to you (minus shipping and handling).
Below is some important stuff. These are some of the things you’d be doing and the skills you possess. If you’re not an exact match, but what you see throughout entices you, send us your resume.
The Developer is responsible for:
- Producing high quality work adhering to Acro Media standards and following the Acro Media production process
- Working independently on multiple smaller tasks or larger builds with shifting priorities and tight deadlines
- Adhering to and providing accurate estimates for the amount of time required to repair a defect, a build, or to add additional functionality to an existing application
- Providing efficient solutions in a timely manner for work requests, issues, and defects
- Communicating well with Account Managers, Supervisors, and Clients in regards to work requests, problems and defects
- Acting as both a peer / mentor to other Developers as well as be comfortable asking for help from team members
- Implementing updates & revisions to Web applications
The successful applicant will have:
- Ability to find and fix problems in code, this might not be your code and your only hint might be a cryptic complaint from a client.
- A good mix of web development skills, you should be able to build out site template and then code all the gears and pulleys behind the scenes as well, we try not to have people who do all HTML/CSS and people who do all backend coding, we like people who can multi-class. You’re not going to work on the same thing for 8 months. If you only have experience on embedded systems or just design sexy layouts, maybe try to brush up on your weaker areas, we are open minded though so don’t let this scare you away.
- Our designers use Photoshop, so when you’re building out the templates, it’s good to know how to navigate around this application. Basic knowledge of how layers work, and the use of some the more important tools that are required for taking apart the design and deriving all the images for web-use is a plus.
- We're open to good programers who know other languages and technologies and are will to learn, but below is a list of a bunch of stuff we normally work with:
o Objective C
If you know other languages don’t forget to mention them, if you are a badass Lisp hacker type, mention that.
- Comfortable working in a Linux shell to do day-to-day tasks. Hopefully you have installed Linux on something at least once, even if it was just your Xbox, phone, vacuum etc. (For real though, you can get Linux installed on a Roomba)
- At least some understanding of linux hosting. Have you configured your own server? Did you setup a web server for your house or friends, even if no one else really cared?
- Prior experience with a source control system (ex, SVN, Git, GitHub, etc.)
- Formal education or prior experience is NOT required, we just want to know that you can code, so hopefully you have some code you can show us.
When you submit your resume, please submit some samples of work you’ve done, the first step of our hiring process is always to get some code samples so might as well speed the whole process along.
Are you still reading? We have a test project for you to complete and send our way so we can check out your skills. If we bring you in for an interview, we’ll pay you $200 for the test project, even if we don’t end up hiring you. Yeah, you read that right, if we invite you for an interview we’ll pay you for having completed the test project. Flex your skills.
This project will be developed using Drupal and feel free to use the default template.
Need a content type to hold Store Location information
Stores have the following set of details
A page dedicated to listing all the stores as pin points on a map (hint, use google maps api or a google maps module for this)
A search tool which will allow a visitors to search for stores 5, 10,25, 50 and 100 KM's away from their postal code
Stores are located only in Canada
Each store has their own details page which has their information listed as outlined above, store detail page should include a map with their location as a pin point
We are going to give you free range to come up with the solution how ever you see fit. You can use any modules you want, if someone else has already done it no point in redoing the work. When you're done, just send us a zip of the files and a dump of the database and we can load it up and review it.
If you need any test data just make it up yourself, this is how we usually do it, we are rarely provided with sample data ahead of time by the client.
Acro Media is a professional, privately-held design firm dedicated to building industry-leading Web sites and marketing material. Our firm...