Assignment: Full-time salaried (minimum 37.5 hours per week)
Pay Rate: $34,000 – 40,000 per annum, based on education and experience
Start Date: September 15, 2014
If you are ready to take your career to the next level and work for an organization that contributes to the Durham community, then this is the opportunity for you.
Abilities Centre is a 125,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility that delivers sports, fitness, arts, research, education and life skills opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. Located in Whitby, just east of Toronto off Hwy 401 and next to the Whitby GO Station, we are fully accessible and easy to reach by car or public transit.
Since opening its doors in June 2012, Abilities Centre has fused barrier-free navigation and access with inclusive and innovative programs to become an International Centre of Excellence serving local, national, and international communities.
Reporting to the Manager, Sports Programs & Development, the Supervisor, Child/Youth & Sports Programs is responsible for development and delivery of all adapted sport and recreational programming while managing Sports Associates and volunteers.
- Lead the ongoing development of an adapted sport and arts outreach program for delivery to schools
- Schedule, supervise and coach part-time Fieldhouse staff and ensure sports/fitness programs offer members a positive experience
- Support the development, marketing and instruction of parasport programs
- Liaise with external groups to plan, organize and coordinate incoming fieldtrips
- Provide direct leadership to the recruitment, coordination, and delivery of Camp programs (PA day, Winter break, March break, Summer)
- Provides direct leadership to the recruiting, development and training of a team of volunteers, working to develop positive relationships with members
- Provide support to member retention initiatives cultivating a member-centred environment through exceptional customer service and encourage participation in other programs
- Cultivate a member-centred environment through exceptional customer service
- Establish rapport and maintain effective relationships with members, staff, volunteers and community partners
- Foster a work environment that values and encourages teamwork and empowerment
- University degree or college diploma in recreation and leisure, physical education, therapeutic recreation, or education
- 3 years experience supervising staff and volunteers
- Personal Training or Group Fitness Instructor certification an asset
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, particularly evenings, as well as early mornings, and weekends when required
- First Aid and CPR
- Knowledge of accessibility and accommodation issues an asset
- Professional business English skills, verbal and written
- Able to manage multiple demands through well-developed organizational and time management skills
- Keen attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective team player with positive attitude, interacting well with clients and employees
- Results oriented, shows great initiative, and able to work independently without close supervision
Deadline: September 10, 2014
The Abilities Centre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For immediate and confidential consideration, please email your cover letter and resume citing job title in the subject line of your response.
We thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.