Abercrombie & Fitch Employee Reviews

Horrible Place with no outlook
FULL TIME STOCK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2016
Abercrombie is not a company that you want to spend a long time with. It has few incentives to do well and it creates a culture of laziness and high turnover. Its operations are too centralized and it leaves no room for employees or lower management to deal with situations in its own stores.
Fun workplace and enthusiastic coworkers. Minimal growth potential
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2016
It's a fun company to work for but employees make very little. Employees also aren't given the opportunity to earn raises unless they come from a management position.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
Minimal Pay
Exciting workplace and encouragement of expressing oneself
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 April 2016
We have four managers in total and each manager is responsible for floor supervising for certain time frame within a day. Floor supervising includes zoning associates to designated area to cover the floor with great customer service, making sure every customer is being greeted and assisted, and lastly making sure the salesfloor is shoppable and visual merchandising is in good shape. As an assistant manager at the store, I needed to respond quickly to incidents that happened and solved them in a calm and professional manner. I needed to leave sign-offs to my District Manager every time I opened/closed the store, notifying him on how we did for business and how we have managed hours and what we could have done to increase sales. The hardest part of the job was to ensure part-times associates are constantly showing up for their shifts as they were only high school students with exams and assignments to work on. I enjoyed working at Abercombie overall as I have learnt a lot not only when I was a Manager in Training, but also my leadership and management skills have greatly improved throughout. Also, our senior would write out a career development plan with me every 6 months to ensure our hard work was being appreciated and what we could improve on.
A little behind the times
Manager - Store Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 March 2016
The job is way different for someone who lives in the US but Canada has very limited opportunity for advancement with very high turnover of staff. The two are definitely linked. Schedule can be flexible depending on store but they don't really back up their store front employees.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Little room for growth
Change mangers too often
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Really tired to work there. And they change the managers too often, which makes me feel uncomfortable to work since we have to change the way to work there to match the style of different managers.
A hard to say environment
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 March 2016
I was firstly wanna apply MIT in this company and the management team are not really care about their employee and their needs. So I've been told to wait for the district manager and have further conversation with him. And I am still waiting.
Really chill place with flexible schedules and a good management.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2015
Strong costumer service culture which the employee needs to be talkative and willing to help the costumer as much as possible.
The management is really helpful and easy to deal with.
A really nice environment to work on.
Great workplace and friendly crew members
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2016
In A&F, the crew members are one family, we have good working relationship. Every day is a new day in the store, I don't know who will be my next customer, but I feel excited about this. Try my best to serve people and let them leave with a contented smile is my goal.
Pros
Employee discount
Great workplace with fair management. Good as a part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2016
This was a great place to work as the management was always fair and would work with your schedule. Co-workers were respectful and we would have fun in and out of work. I wouldn't recommend working here if you can't deal with randoms influxes of customers created high pressure situations. If you can pull together under stress though, you will be fine and enjoy your job. Not a job to join if you want to grow or move up, unless you are hired as a manager.
Unstable
Model/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2013
In abercrombie, there is NO raises. You cannot move up the ladder. By that I mean, you start as a sales associate and you stay as one. In order for you to move up into management, you must complete a University degree. College diplomas will only allow you to get an overnight manger position. It is a very unstable job. They hire every week and do not have enough hours to give to the old employees. Working there is mostly for socializing because majority of the time that is what you do. Besides the unstableness, no raises, and bad managerial position, it is a good workplace for those who want flexible hours. You can give away shifts, trade shifts, and pick up shifts very easily through the Facebook group they set up. They are very lenient as well.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
no hours
Great interactive environment
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON16 May 2016
It is a great place to interact with people. You also get to move around the store a lot to help customers with all their needs.
Pros
You can choose your availability
Cons
You may get a lot of call-in shifts
high intense fast pace retailer
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2013
Was in charge of the human resources for the store. Every week I wrote a schedule for the 300 managers and employees that we had. I ensured that all weekly updates were scheduled adequately and that payroll was controlled. I created weekly recruiting schedules and followed up with all recruits. I conducted 2 weekly group interviews as well as one weekly group orientation. I ensured all new hire paper work and training were 100% up to date. The hardest part of the job was the short turnovers from shift to shift (working till 3am and then being back to work for 8am). The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with such a large staff.
Pros
co-workers, recruiting, 1 hour lunch breaks, district management meetings
Cons
Friendly but still gets the job done
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2015
A surprisingly well-oiled machine. Perhaps that was mostly attributed to the solid team of managers that worked very well together. The associates were friendly and welcoming; easy to be integrated into the culture and community.

Hard part of the job was getting good at it. It was easy to pick up the theory behind the training, but learning to multi-task while acknowledging customer needs was certainly a difficult challenge to overcome.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the first pick/peek of new products and seeing corporate decisions trickle down to the retail level.
Pros
friendly work environment, tightly knit community
Cons
short hours
Good place to socialize
impact (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2013
One of the best things about Abercrombie is the fact that you get to meet and work with a lot of cool people who share the same hobbies and interests as you. But other than that, I would say this isn't one of the best jobs you can get as a student (and thats me putting it in a nice way). I didnt learn anything new here but I would say I enhanced my customer service skills while working here due to large volume of complaints you have to deal with everyday while working. Management can be good and can be bad, because of the fact that many managers are always using the company as a stepping stone into their careers and as soon as they find something better they're gone. But generally the management is okay at its best. Co-workers are great and im sure any person can fit right in as soon as they're hired. There isn't anything hard about the job but I would say the hardest thing would be to not get bored of the job within a month of being hired. Most enjoyable part of the job would be the socializing with customers and co-workers.
Pros
30% off most items in the store
Cons
No hours, short shifts, forced to buy their clothing
Productive, fun work environment that emphasizes teamwork and diversity
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2015
A typical day at work consists of providing exceptional customer service by ensuring to greet every single customer and assisting them when needed, as well as continuously maintaining my work area to make the store look appealing at all times. I learned that having interpersonal skills and being able to work with others is very important for this job as it is all about engaging others and providing hospitality. The management team is extremely effective in a way that they build relationships with their employees making it a comfortable work environment.
Good People, needs work on the culture
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2014
Fun Place to work with great people. Not a great deal of room for advancement quickly.
Pros
Great people, who are young
Cons
strict company culture, alot of wasted time keeping things up to standard.
fun place to work. always meeting new people.
Stockroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 April 2014
they're aren't really any typical days because everyday is different. the management team is really fun to be around & they actually care about your opinions.
Pros
long breaks
benefits
They expect you to work like you get $50 per hour
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2015
" Get something to do". You can't just greet customers, it is not enough. You have to FOLD clothes and clean the floor help the customers every single minute. That means they want to multitask with only minimum wage.
Pros
nothing
Cons
minimum wage, busy, mean managers
Work culture and experience
Sales Representative/Model (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 March 2014
The work culture at A&F is diverse and I experienced welcoming arms when it came to learning and working with customers. It is a friendly environment and a place to really feel at home.
I learned recruitment procedures, how to effectively deal with cash, interpersonal skills and patience.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to talk to each and every customer as much as I would like to.
The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to as many customers and co-workers as possible.
a very fun place to be at. nice people nice music. but it doesnt pay muuch
model (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2012
a typical day at work for me would be. me walking into the store clock -in and start maintaining the sales floor. watching over cash and fitting rooms and just fold cloth all day help customers find the sizes they need. take a break come back do the same thing over again. close at 9 and start folding down the store room by room until everything is folded down help with the go-backs. clock out go home and do the same thing the next day

2.8