AbeBooks.com, an Amazon company, is looking for a User Experience (UX) Designer to join our Customer Experience team. This position is based at our headquarters in Victoria, BC, Canada. We also have a European office in Dusseldorf, Germany and from these two locations we run seven international web sites: AbeBooks.com, AbeBooks.co.uk, AbeBooks.de, AbeBooks.fr, AbeBooks.it, IberLibro.com, and ZVAB.com.
The ideal candidate will manage tasks ranging from small design jobs to medium-sized projects that will influence how thousands of customers and booksellers interact with our sites on a daily basis. Working alongside marketers, a senior UX designer, software developers and product managers, the candidate will be committed to improving the AbeBooks’ on-site experience through design and visual elements. An understanding of ecommerce is fundamental.
This role is diverse and also includes insisting on the best design practices in email, social media and mobile. The candidate will be comfortable documenting their work and justifying their decisions. He or she will have an understanding of the metrics used to measure the success of their designs. The UX designer will seek out feedback on their designs and contribute to usability sessions, A/B testing, and other forms of bar-raising.
- Create designs that address business, brand and user requirements
- Solve problems from a user-centered and merchandising perspective, always stepping back to understand the customer needs and desires, and champion the customer at all times.
- Create process flows, templates, wireframes, mock-ups and prototypes.
- Use analysis and research to develop ideas and solutions.
- Insist on the highest standards via design specifications, templates, style guides and rules.
- Collaborate with a wide variety of co-workers.
- 3+ years of web design experience
- Education/experience in Design and User Interaction
- Impeccable modern visual design aesthetic
- Strong web/visual design portfolio
- Experience using leading-edge design software, such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator, and the ability to create eye-catching and effective promotional designs for ecommerce websites, email, online advertising, social media and related collateral.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and be solution-oriented
- Solid understanding of design needs that support SEM and SEO
- Proven experience in usability analysis and research
- Solid working knowledge of common, current web technologies, including mobile
- Knowledge of social media and blogging platforms
- Sound knowledge of the fundamentals of typography, composition and color
- Proven ability to work both independently and cross-functionally in a very busy environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Offline design/production experience is desirable
- Fluency in any other AbeBooks language (Spanish, French, Italian, German) is desirable.
- Passion for books and book collecting
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. If you enjoy constantly broadening your technical skills, building software that affects users around the world, and working in an environment that thrives on creativity and product innovation, please apply online at www.abebooks.com/careers/#apply.
We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!