Abbott Laboratories

Abbott Laboratories Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Business System Analyst - Abbott Corporate IT
Business System Analyst (Former Employee), North Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2014
Pros: event management
Cons: it terminology
1) Event Mangement, Sharepoint Redesing and Communications Mangement
2) I've learned so much here in IT: Sharepoint Web Work Design, StarCite for Event Management, and editing and writing email communications that is released to the different groups of the entire company.
3) Excellent manager and colleagues.
4) Hardeset thing about my job: IT terminology
5) – more... Most enjoyable thing about my job is Event Management and Event Planning – less
Company with a long history struggling in the present
Snr Project Manager (Current Employee), Waukegan, ILJuly 13, 2014
Pros: benefits/salary
Cons: risk averse, low career growth, low job security, unclear value system
I have been with this company for many years and though you get interesting and sometimes enjoyable work to do, career growth is limited in general. Grade promotion came with a job change to another division. There are people who have been in the same role and same grade level for a decade or more. Basically, little to no emphasis on career growth or – more... people development. Management are generally good at managing the work but not really with people skills/development. The career growth path is not clear for many positions. Those who progress up typically have connections or play the political game very well or hop from division to division. Very few progress on meritocracy. Those who are frustrated with no growth after many years either bury it in silence just to have a constant. predictable paycheck or leave.
Co-workers are fairly competent. Minorities in leadership positions are very rare so the facade of a diverse workforce only extends to the lower grade workers and even the representation at that level looks relatively low for a company headquartered in the general Chicago area.
There is a lot of demand on one's time and the stress can be immense. However, it is possible to learn a lot if you push the boundaries of your day-to-day role. The hardest thing now is the environment - the general feeling of instability. Lay-offs are becoming the order of the day and the degrading job security, compared to prior years, is resulting in a tense somewhat fearful atmosphere. The former impression that it is a company that values its people is fading also given how people are being let go.
It is a company with a good and long history which has done things in a specific way for many years and thus any change is not easily embraced. Questioning the status quo could be career limiting. If one is a shaker, you have to tread carefully. Very hierarchical environment and politically charged. Management is generally not accessible though of course variations may exist from from individual to individual. Job culture is very risk averse and conservative.
Overall a company with a successful history, with some really good people trying to do their jobs well to keep it successful for the future. – less
Excellent
Senior Purchasing Agent (Current Employee), San JuanJuly 11, 2014
Orchestrated project teams in improving business processes and ensuring optimum performance.
Provided ongoing operational process analysis, mitigated “scope creep,” communicated project status,
and identified and resolved operational issues and constraints.
Managed project resources, progress, completion timeframes, and budget while exceeding key
operational – more... performance target. – less
A great company to work for.
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCJuly 9, 2014
Pros: profit sharing check that we received at the end of each year.
Cons: long work hours some weeks.
I worked on assigned engineering projects. Most projects required weeks or months to complete. Each day consisted of tasks that were a part of the overall project. Each project had something new and interesting to learn.
I loved the new and interesting things that each project brought because they kept me from getting bored. Management and co-workers – more... were very professional in their jobs and duties. The hardest part of my job was when I had to work long hours, weekends and holidays to implement a project. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see a successful completion. I knew that each completed project would help make the company successful in meeting our goals. – less
Productive and great place to work
Product Inspector (Former Employee), Altavista, VAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: good pay, great co-workers
Cons: repetitive work, no benefits for temp workers/contractors
A typical day at Abbott begins with putting on your uniform and punching your time card at the beginning of the shift. Usually, there is a mandatory meeting between co-workers and management before work starts. There's a lot of repetitive work but sometimes you get a chance to work in other parts of the plant. While at Abbott, I learned a great deal – more... about manufacturing. My co-workers were easy going and very experienced. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive nature of the work sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in other parts of the plant. – less
productive place to work training is excellent
Senior Production Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Altavista, VAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: compensation/benefits
Cons: job work/life balance on some jobs
great people to work with and like always management can be improved.hardest part to the job is working 8 days a week [on some lines].but the pay is only thing good thing.
Fast paced, high profile
Sr. Purchasing Assist (Former Employee), Abbott Park, ILJuly 7, 2014
Purchasing for high dollar capital projects.
Learned many skills for finding the best possible prices.
Management was will to work with you to get the jobs done.
Co-workers were excellent to work with and very helpful.
Healthcare company that delivers financial growth goals
General Manager, US Market Access (Former Employee), CaliforniaJune 27, 2014
Pros: compensation package
Company that rewards high performance and that is committed to it's people, customers, and shareholders
Great place with good working environment
R&D Lab Supervisor/Technician (Former Employee), Santa ClaraJune 19, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: n/a
In my almost twenty years, had managers that were great mentors, and learned a lot from them as well from Abbott.
A wonderful job
Assembler 3 (Former Employee), Temecula caJune 19, 2014
My job provided many benifits from wonderful insurance down to having day care for other employees and they also had a fitness program to monitor health and wellness
A great company with a history of success.
Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee), Visalia, CAJune 15, 2014
Pros: building relationships, trust, confidence, respect, excellent pay and benefits, company car with gas card, personal growth, excellent training.
Cons: uncertain future, constant rumors of buyouts or layoffs.
After 12 years with Solvay Pharmaceuticals, we were acquired by Abbott Labs in 2010. Most companies would immediately lay off most of the acquired sales force, but Abbott did not. Everyone at Solvay had been resigned to the fact that we would be let go. Instead, Abbott had seen our sales success over the years and decided to keep us on to continue marketing – more... our products. We returned their faith in us by turning AndroGel into a 1 billion dollar product. I will forever be grateful to Abbott and AbbVie pharmaceuticals for allowing me to continue my career. If the market situation were different, I would choose to be a loyal AbbVie sales representative for years to come. Unfortunately, we have all been on a year to year basis due to the constant changes in the marketplace. I would like to stay in the healthcare industry and the future is with companies like Dignity Health.
A typical day is planning my calls the day before. Knowing where I'm going and what my message or goal is for each individual physician. I communicate weekly with my territory partner to review physician data in order to game plan what our next move should be.
Top level management has done a great job of keeping us up to date on changes in the marketplace and in providing sales incentives to reach budget goals. I have been very lucky in that I have had excellent District Managers over the years who treat us like professionals and give us the freedom to run our territories while keeping an eye on the companies goals.
Other than becoming more tech friendly, there have been few parts of this job that are difficult. Pharmaceutical sales are so natural for me, it has never seemed like a job. But I take great pride in my career.
Every day that I can go out and interact with everyone in an office, from the receptionist to the physician, it's an enjoyable day. I remind myself every day how lucky I have been to have this job for as long as I have. – less
Production Supervisor
Production Supervisor----Quality Engineer. (Former Employee), San José, SJJune 14, 2014
Pros: annual bonusses, free lunches, piad vacations, holidays.
Lead Production Lines controlling efficiency, quality, operations standarization, planning, organizing, and executing all aspects related with production processes. In charge of quality investigations and rework execution. Performs excellent communication, leadership and coaching and teamwork skills.
Project Manager - DW
Project Manager (Former Employee), Waukegan, ILJune 10, 2014
Worked on a ERP migration project as PM. Built a 10 member team to transform existing mainframe finance application into SAP BI.
Abbott is a 5 star place to work for and a great place to learn the drug development process.
Sr. CRA/Clinical Research Management Associate (Former Employee), Abbott Park, ILJune 8, 2014
Abbott is a great company to work for number of reasons.
I received great training and had a diverse work experience. My manager was fair and supportive.
The only thing that was difficult to deal with was the commute.
Working in Legal Operations is very busy, for my group supports the Legal Division.
Legal Operations Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Abbott Park, ILJune 6, 2014
My workday is not typical, for it can and does change quite often. I am the, "go to person" within Legal, so if people have questions about anything, I am the contact person.

When I first began working in Legal, I was very timid and bashful. Legal has helped me out of my shell and to become more communicative, energetic and a trustworthy person. I – more... am one that people can depend on.

Management is supportive with the goals you want to want to achieve and very easy to tallk with.

My co-workers are great, I feel like we are family.

The hardest part for me is prioritizing. Since everyone would like for their concern to take priority, it's difficult for me to say no.

Being who I am with acceptance from the people. It makes my job enjoyable. – less
fun place nice people
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZJune 6, 2014
vary fun people energetic surroundings fast pace and definitely a learning experience
Would recommend working here to anyone
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee), Abbott Park, ILJune 4, 2014
Pros: the personable people are like extended family.
Coming in to work on a daily basis is great. I enjoy my Abbott family, I am loyal to them and they are VERY appreciative to me. My boss is the best and the most supportive you can ask for and my co-workers are personable and we get a long well.
Excellent working area
Quality Control (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAMay 27, 2014
I have learnt a lot of experiences while I worked in this company
Productive life saving devices
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee), Temecula, CAMay 23, 2014
Pros: annual bonus, great benefits
Cons: not much room for advancement
Very fast paced job, quite stressful, very repetitive, there was very little line rotation. I did like the fact that I was building a product that was saving many lives and I did take great pride in that. My Supervisors were great people and I really enjoyed my co-workers. I just felt that they pushed quantity more so than quality. It really became – more... stressful when we found out the company was moving the product out of country. – less
A great R&D place to work and learn how to discover a new drug.
Investigator (Former Employee), Lake County, ILMay 22, 2014
Pros: great place to learn the inner works of the pharmaceutical industry
Cons: change is the only stable thing!
Excellent place! Very nicely located in the north side of Chicago where you can work hard and play hard. The company changes on a daily basis and you have to show adaptability.

About Abbott Laboratories

Filling baby bottles and treating disease... these are the habits of Abbott. Abbott Laboratories is a top health care products – Read more

Abbott Laboratories Photos