Abbott Laboratories Employee Reviews

Decline over the last 2 years
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2017
Over the last 2 years, the common theme around the the office is "you never thought it could get worse but it does". Bringing in people from other Abbott sites to manage departments, yet they have no idea how to manage, lead or let alone understand the topic (example:production planning). The management that remains (not from other Abbott sites) have no back bone to stand up to do what is right for the employees.

They all lead by fear of perpetual layoffs. They lay off all of the experienced resources to bring in younger cheaper resources, that take years to come up to the same level as the people they laid off.

If you are not a "yes" person to everything, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Pay is competitive, benefits are decent (not great)
Cons
Management (Plant Manager, Slt, Managers)
Worse job ever.
IT Site Support (Network, Voice, Workstation) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
They laid off their IT department just to hire us, contractors for half the money.
They expected us to be on call, without being paid and without telling us up front.
We, contractors were treated like second hand (not to say third hand employees)

I will return there only if I starve (and even than I will give a second thought)
Cons
Great company if you have no life
SOLUTIONS SALES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Canada3 April 2017
It is a big company, and it has some amazing directors and managers. On the other side, it lacks teamwork and requires improvement in team communication.
This produces one of the highest turnovers I have ever seen. I saw people leaving after just one week of work.
Cons
No work life balance
professional evironment and a wide scope of learning new things with supporting management.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 March 2017
one of the best places to work. Hard work is the secret of this company's success. very supportive co-workers and management is up to date. there is nothing hard about this job because the staff believes in working as a team.
Great Workplace
Quebec - Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC12 February 2017
The position was very interesting and I learned so much about hospital contracts and paying out of extra feature if customer met their quotas.
Also, I worked closely with the V.P. of Marketing who taught me how to run statistics in order for him to make decisions on prices.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Was let go as company cut 15% of employees by time served.
Life Balance
Sales and Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2017
Comfortable place to work.
Limited in careers opportunities because of size.
Paid above average but the demand quality.
Productive and enjoyable working scenario.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2016
My passion of being a pharmaceutical sales representative. Talking about the benefits and features of my products to health professional for me is an art. Applying my skills in communication.
Steady work, great envoironment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON28 October 2016
Very structured day, always something to do. Always working on continuous improvement to better working environment and cost savings.
Long term employees, most over 20 year service.
Pros
good pay
Cons
sometimes under appreciated
Great company
Documentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wolseley, SK24 October 2016
Was able to utilize my education and skills. Was able to advance. It was a very team oriented company. I would probably still be there if they hadn't closed the Wolseley Plant.
Pros
Very dynamic company
Cons
Closed the plant in Wolseley
Bad Work life balance - mgmt takes advantage
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
In Field Service, ideally someone ought to balance home and work life. At Abbott Labs, the mentality is that your work is your family. Although the company annual retreats were fun and rewarding, the constant phone calls from MGMT and their minions made the experience very stressful.

Management takes advantage of naive immigrants in Toronto who aren't aware of their rights not to be harrassed, not to be named-called, and not to have overtime removed from their pay.

Worst of all, these internal failures within the company are apparent to the clients and they see this through the high turnover rate, continuous change in policies, and general complacency among the "team".
Pros
Work from home during standby
Cons
Harrassment from management
I worked with minimal supervision. Productive in my area. Good learning experience.
Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philippines9 June 2016
I usually work 8 hours a day but got service calls during wee hours. I learned the value of hard-work and patience in my job . The management is accommodating and have an open communication. My co-workers are friendly and open. The hardest part of my job is when I cannot fix the instrument on time. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I fix the instrument the quickest time possible.
management not well organized
Operator, Seams Inspector, (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON8 April 2016
time is money and money is time..... production line were always down due to a major lack of training and incompetent individuals .. ended by closing shop..
Pros
the odd bbq
Cons
not organized
Productive driven high energy
Senior Hospital Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC2 February 2016
Abbott provided a constantly changing environment in which to work and grow professionally. Quality work was recognized and rewarded and there was always support in seeking improvement.
I learned how to focus my energy in ways that yielded successful outcomes. I learned to work closely with others to bring talents together and create an environment where everyone gave their best.
I learned how to lead and how to follow and when to do either, for the sake of the project or task at hand.
I truly grew up at Abbott and can't thank them enough for the lessons that I learned there.
Pros
Superior benefits, compensation and advancement opportunities
Cons
Large corporate culture that is less personal.
Environnement de travail rigoureux mais laissant place à l'adaptabilité
Spécialiste des ventes hospitalières (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 January 2016
Environnement de travail rigoureux mais laissant place à l'adaptabilité selon la demande
Pros
salaire compétitif
Cons
restructuration
Company has really changed in the last 5 years.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  National Capital Region, ON9 November 2015
The company has great people working there, to much time putting out fires, not enough time spent on developing long term strategies.
co-workers and enjoyable part of the day
Primary Care Representative/maternity replacement (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 November 2015
Supportive management and great team work along with the realization that what I do on a daily bases improves the quality of life of a patient.
This was a period of great change. Abbott EPD had been purchased by Mylan. There was great concern about the future outcomes.We maintained a continuity, of "business as usual" and our focus on what needed to be done to achieve sales targets at the same focus on the needs of our customers ( all HCPs and patients ) All this is a time when morale was low.
Best part of my day- when a KOL or patient says your drug or the information you provided improved my life. Very powerful!
Pros
Ablity to be creative in the sale process, automomy, while at the same time having the support of management and team-mate
Cons
Due to merging of two systems created technology glitches
Territory/Area Manager
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec2 September 2015
As Territory Manager, a typical day was to visit pharmacists and detail them on key products for Abbott.
Needed a good sense of organisation to exceed in sales for the given territory
Always focused on targets and business development. Learned to tightly manage every aspect of the business to enable develop as many opportunities as possible in a given territory.
Succeeded very well and very well rewarded.
Pros
Being on the road, organising my own schedule and meeting pharmacists and deliver new information all the time.
Cons
Restructuring all the time with management
fun and interesting
Analyste Programmeur sénior(consultation) (Former Employee) –  montreal30 March 2015
Great place to work, Great IT team, Great users. Very good location and good work flexibility. projects and opportunities with very high standards
Quality control (Former Employee) –  Assembly26 March 2015
Arrived at work station, cleaned tables to ensure product quality. Leardned to inspect parts for defects. Managment was kind aswell as all the co-workers. Job was very repetitive which I learned to adapt to.
Great working environment
Professional Medical Representative (Former Employee) –  Philippines4 November 2014
Management are very accommodating and supportive.
Fun parties and great career growth opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abbott Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2