ABB Employee Reviews in Canada

Continuous learning path.
Senior Purchaser-Supply Chain Management (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 28, 2015
Productive and good working place to learn new things, face new challenges every day. Good working environment with flexible hours.
Management is very supportive.
Generally a good company but significant rebuilding in progress
consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 28, 2015
The Enterprise Software group is in the process of rebuilding (integrating with ABB) and economic restructuring. It may take a couple of years for any R&D investment and ABB marketing attention to pay off after several years of erosion. (Both had been neglected for some time).
Pros
Flexible hours. Able to work from home
Cons
Often overtime is required
Nice environment for young people to develop
project scheduler (Current Employee) –  montrealAugust 31, 2015
Professioal work place for young people to develop, offically english speaking environment and lots of opportunity to go oversea.
Pros
amazing cafetia
Great Start
Junior Hardware Automation Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2015
Working at ABB started my career. I learned alot from the people around me. My coworkers helped everyone out with their vast knowledge.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Lack of Training
Great company to work for!
Buyer / Planner / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 18, 2015
ABB is a great company with many benefits, room for advancement, dealing with many different countries and cultures! Outstanding training and travel opportunities within in the company!
Pros
Advancement opportunites!
The right place to work in
Service Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 26, 2015
Great benefits and Open environment to express yourself
Flexible working from home option
Great team and co-workers
Supportive managers
High investment on training and development
OIL and Gas Engineering work, Involved in PRE-HAT (Pre – Hardware Acceptance Test, Wellhead Modules
INSTRUMENTATION specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
- Involved in PRE-HAT (Pre – Hardware Acceptance Test) activities for projects of (SAGD) Steam-Assisted Gravity Drainage Project.
- MRB’s reviews, Vendor documents approvals.
- Wellhead modules and Test Separators inspections and functional tests.
- Instrument troubleshooting and Calibrations.
Pros
Good Coordination, Team work attitude, respectful working environment
Cons
Travelling out of town, Short notice for urgent jobs
I have proffesional Electrical Design and drafting experience
Intermediate Electrical Designer & Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2015
Reviewed P&ID’s of Electrical Drawings & Specifications
Design fiber optic architecture termination diagram under supervisor.
Calculate voltage drops, size conductors, cable trays and lighting requirements
Performed detailed drafting of plant layout drawings (power, grounding, lighting and electric heat tracing) and associated single lines and schematics/wiring diagrams
Preparation of lighting calculation, distribution system for EHT.
Prepare 3D model layout drafting.
Modify As-Built drawings according to Red lines.
Assisted Senior Engineers to review vendor documents.
Very well structured organization
Mechanical engineering intern and part-time worker (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCMarch 28, 2015
This company has good management, good facilities and a good work atmosphere. I learned how to work within a multi-disciplinary team, how to follow various projects at the same time and improved my CAD skills.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Good company to work for
Local Business Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QCJanuary 26, 2015
Good company with very high work ethics. Some overlap in their different divisions,. Open to reallocate people when necessary. Good & successful addition of the Thomas & Betts group in the Low Voltage division. ABB is very strong in the High voltage arena.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
overlap in different business units causing some frustration.
workplace environment
install panels
terminate panels
upgrades in the plant
follow direction of foreman
work well as a team or individually
enthusiastic, always willing to learn more
work well under pressure to meet deadlines
Great guys to work with, nice bosses, decent pay currently a great 7/7 shift
Red Seal Electrician (Current Employee) –  Cristina Lake AlbertaDecember 18, 2013
This specific job site required a lot of slow paced work which could get very boring at times.

I learnt some knew industrial parts and how to use a little more finesse with my work "take the time to do it a 110% proper"

management was fairly organized for the most part

hardest part is being away from home.

Most enjoyable part of the job is pay day.
Pros
nice camp, good guys, good shift 7/7, good tools and material.
Cons
pay could be a bit more
Great company
Proposal Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 16, 2015
I learned a lot at ABB. For example I learned time-management skills, multi-tasking skills, and technical knowledge the industry. All my co-workers were very nice people and are very good at their jobs.
Pros
flexible hours, free coffee
Productive in short term contract
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 18, 2013
Typical day at work would involve a lot of data entry and running of reports. Whatever the project team required for their live projects I was able to assist with.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the organization duties and working with a smaller team to a common goal.
The hardest part of the job was feeling helpless when something unforeseen would happen during the course of the project that we were unable to predict and we would have to act in the best interest of the client on the fly. Being reactive instead of proactive can cause stress.
A great company to work for
REGIONAL TECHNICAL SALES SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 18, 2013
ABB has a large portfolio of Electrical products that are well engineered, that are benchmarked in the industry.

In most positions your day is autonomous with little management interventiom. Positions generally provide job fulfillment and technical challenges, with a decent corporate work environment. Co-workers provide mutual support to develope business plans
Pros
free coffee, company golf tournament, achievable bonus plan
Fun and Fair place to work
QC Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 1, 2015
They are just like any other company, fair, saftey orientated, team atmosphere, offers benefits, family balance and you dont feel like just a number
will not work foe them in the future
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2013
the work wasn't difficult, vary slow pace so the days dragged on.
didn't get much opportunity to further your knowledge.
the management was under qualified and rarely were prepared.
the guys were good to work with vary low stress work environment
job security and loyalty were some of there biggest problems.
Pros
good pay close to home
Cons
bad management made to many mistakes with regards to pay check
Productive and fun workplace with friendly people
Renewable Energy Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 20, 2013
I gained a good understanding of the workings of hydro plants, solar plants, combined cycle plants and microgrids.

I developed skills such as ownership of problems and produce effective and timely solutions and enhanced my oral and written communications skills with the ability to write technical reports and make presentations with ease.

Learned how to deal effectively with clients, vendors and contractors and have had site experience pertaining to QA and commissioning.

Very friendly environment and people are very helpful indeed.

The hardest part of the job is driving from home to my workplace and the most enjoyable part is when I have a challenge and able to solve it as per management expectations.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
nil
well disciplined and structured manufacturing facility
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 23, 2012
typical day was to meet with employees and detail the work objectives for the day as well as dciscuss lessons learned from previous days activities. I learned that every employee contributes in their function at different levels and matching the individual contribution abilities with the needed task was a challenge. I was always suported by upper managment but the goal was to make everyone accountable for their part of the given tasks.Some co workers were independant and others needed coaching to finish the tasks at hand.the hardest part was to sometimes remove empoloyees that were not stepping up to task requirments.I truely enjoyed when we finished ahead of schedule and under budget.
Pros
training was well documented and followed up.
Excellent support with knowledgable team
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta, Northern SaskatchewanJanuary 23, 2015
ABB work ethics are top grade with excellent support it has been a pleasure to be a part of their team
Pros
good communication
Cons
need more weekly conference calls with clients