ABB Employee Reviews

was a very good place to work
Lead Desktop Support Technician for Western Canada (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta Canada14 May 2016
ABB was a good place to work coworkers very easy to get along with.Fixing on-site and off-site problems and Imac work.Management
was very supportive of the workers.
Pros
flexible work time
Cons
clients very demanding
Excellent place to work
Robotics Spare Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 March 2016
-9-5 business environment. Professional yet Friendly
-Customers are key to all businesses success. What ever it takes, try your best to keep the customer satisfied. Follow-up Follow-up.
-Management is A1. Thank you
-All co-workers were very kind and helpful.
-The hardest part of the job was definitely time management and attention to detail. However the Team Environment helped with these issues. It definitely was a fast paced environment at times.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the Robotics Team which included many other departments world wide.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Workload at times. Stress
work hard and keep your head down
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 March 2016
show up do your job go home. management tens to take advantage of its workers here. foremen and lead hands are the life blood of this organization, they are responsible for large amount of the project with heavy pressure from upper management
Pros
great bennfits
Cons
hard to get ahhead here
Good place to start
Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2016
Great place to learn how to work in a corporate environment coming from an academic background. Good balance of technical, commercial and legal.
fun atmosphere
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2016
the hardest part of the job was commuting to company every day.it was not accessible by public transport and it was in the far south east of the town.
Pros
free good quality coffee
Cons
difficult to reach the company
Terrible management, Terrible Pay.
QC Inspector / Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2015
No room for advancement unless you're friends with someone high up. The pay was terrible, they treated their apprentices like garbage, and the working culture was very clique. you never felt secure here, as people who weren't in the "cool" crowd were constantly picked on and belittled. they promoted people with no industrial experience just because they were friends with the construction manager, that made for a lovely time, having someone boss you around and micromanage, that knew absolutely nothing about industrial electrical work.
ABB was a very good company to work for. Skills were reckognized and advancement was awarded.
Liaison for the Western Region/Bid Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2015
I helped run a Mega Transformer repair facility.
I took all incoming calls and directed them accordingly.
Responsible for all inside sales.
ABB has an extensive network, I met some very good people globally.
ABB gets 5 stars in my book.
Productive and Cool environment
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2016
Typically my day starts at 7:30am. Daily meeting with my Lead Designer about ongoing projects progress. Drawing updates, special reviews, design meetings etc. Take special assignment if any or continue with ongoing project drawings. Drawings were related to Electrical Engg. for Oil & Gas SAGD projects.
I was totally new to this kind of concept compared to my previous experience. But the team or co-workers were awesome in all aspects. I was able access any support regarding design, drafting and engineering. Most of the co-workers were very senior but very down to earth kind of nature and with helping mentality.
Initially it was very hard for me to co-ordinate the system working. I only knew about the project was Control system drawings, as I had some previous hands-on experience in that field. But managed to understand the project and co-ordinate it within two months.
Most enjoyable part of job was at the lunch time where we used to get together at kitchen and take our lunch and followed by an afternoon walk for 15 minutes outside the office.
Management was awesome, easy to approach, mentoring and helpful.
Pros
Free lesson and lunch once in a month
Good group of guys to work with
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2015
It was a really good group of guys to work with, and the foreman was very easy to get along with. They were very organized. typical day included cable pull, or termination.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Short term work
Do not work for this company !
Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2015
Be very careful with this company, in particular which business unit
you apply to.
In general, I was incredibly surprised at the complete lack of integrity displayed by management and the company in general. They covered just about every type of management transgression I can think of (lying, bullying, berating, manipulation). At some point you have to think that this behaviour is driven from the top down.

Having said the above, there are some good people that work here so obviously everyones experience is not the same. But again, I am a 20 + year professional who has worked for several big corporations and I have never seen or witnessed the type of behaviour displayed by the management of this company.
Pros
Cons
Lack of integrity throughout management
A good company to work for but the management left alot to be desired
RAP Program Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Various, AB25 November 2015
The job itself was very fast-paced, coworkers were relatively good but the personnel in management were not approachable.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
unapproachable management
Productive company
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 October 2015
I enjoyed my 19 years service with ABB. Very generous company. I missed my co-workers. Fair management. I enjoyed interacting with the clients. I learned so much about i.e. automation, robotics, water treatment facility etc.
Pros
Bonuses, good performance review
Cons
Long commute
Very friendly environment
Senior Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2015
Supportive management and stakeholders and co-workers
Good environment when I worked on site during commissioning and construction
Lunch together with client, management and co-workers
Generally a good company but significant rebuilding in progress
consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 June 2015
The Enterprise Software group is in the process of rebuilding (integrating with ABB) and economic restructuring. It may take a couple of years for any R&D investment and ABB marketing attention to pay off after several years of erosion. (Both had been neglected for some time).
Pros
Flexible hours. Able to work from home
Cons
Often overtime is required
Very good
Electrical Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2016
ABB is a very good company to work for.
The management is excellent, the colleagues are friendly.
The schedule is flexible.
Excellent first foray into the world of Electrical Engineering
ELECTRICAL EIT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2015
The people and their respective personalities, skill sets, knowledge and experience was fantastic. Everyone was willing to share and help you learn and improve and I couldn't have asked for more as an entry level engineer.
Pros
Crib, fruit basket
Cons
unorganized
OIL and Gas Engineering work, Involved in PRE-HAT (Pre – Hardware Acceptance Test, Wellhead Modules
INSTRUMENTATION specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2015
- Involved in PRE-HAT (Pre – Hardware Acceptance Test) activities for projects of (SAGD) Steam-Assisted Gravity Drainage Project.
- MRB’s reviews, Vendor documents approvals.
- Wellhead modules and Test Separators inspections and functional tests.
- Instrument troubleshooting and Calibrations.
Pros
Good Coordination, Team work attitude, respectful working environment
Cons
Travelling out of town, Short notice for urgent jobs
I have proffesional Electrical Design and drafting experience
Intermediate Electrical Designer & Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2015
Reviewed P&ID’s of Electrical Drawings & Specifications
Design fiber optic architecture termination diagram under supervisor.
Calculate voltage drops, size conductors, cable trays and lighting requirements
Performed detailed drafting of plant layout drawings (power, grounding, lighting and electric heat tracing) and associated single lines and schematics/wiring diagrams
Preparation of lighting calculation, distribution system for EHT.
Prepare 3D model layout drafting.
Modify As-Built drawings according to Red lines.
Assisted Senior Engineers to review vendor documents.
Not too bad
electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2015
ABB was good to work for as far as employees go. The electrical engineering and building design team has their issues, though.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Bad spot to get to
A great company to work for
REGIONAL TECHNICAL SALES SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton18 January 2013
ABB has a large portfolio of Electrical products that are well engineered, that are benchmarked in the industry.

In most positions your day is autonomous with little management interventiom. Positions generally provide job fulfillment and technical challenges, with a decent corporate work environment. Co-workers provide mutual support to develope business plans
Pros
free coffee, company golf tournament, achievable bonus plan