ABB Employee Reviews

Not too bad
electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2015
ABB was good to work for as far as employees go. The electrical engineering and building design team has their issues, though.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Bad spot to get to
Innovative work place and life long lerning experience. Company organized parties are fun filled.
Power Systems Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 December 2015
I have worked hydro, thermal and solar power plant projects with substations.
The power projects of complex nature demands innovative solution. Engineering of the systems, design, layout, procurement, time schedule require team work with regular interface, coordination and attending many types of issues on daily basis.
It is important and a must to assimilate the specifications, contractual scope, owner and consultant expectations in the design, procurement and execution. Not to forget the contract changes for additional cost and time for additional work.
Job stress and multi tasking cooperation results in a project which becomes a mile stone and brings smile to all parties working for the project.
Job in ABB is challenging as well as interesting and helpful for personal growth of technical knowledge.
Pros
In-house and external training, and regular reviews of projects, and lessons learn meetings on project completion are eye opener for team members.
Cons
Higher expectations, loss of focus on project management
Very friendly environment
Senior Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2015
Supportive management and stakeholders and co-workers
Good environment when I worked on site during commissioning and construction
Lunch together with client, management and co-workers
A good company to work for but the management left alot to be desired
RAP Program Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Various, AB25 November 2015
The job itself was very fast-paced, coworkers were relatively good but the personnel in management were not approachable.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
unapproachable management
Terrible management, Terrible Pay.
QC Inspector / Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2015
No room for advancement unless you're friends with someone high up. The pay was terrible, they treated their apprentices like garbage, and the working culture was very clique. you never felt secure here, as people who weren't in the "cool" crowd were constantly picked on and belittled. they promoted people with no industrial experience just because they were friends with the construction manager, that made for a lovely time, having someone boss you around and micromanage, that knew absolutely nothing about industrial electrical work.
ABB was a very good company to work for. Skills were reckognized and advancement was awarded.
Liaison for the Western Region/Bid Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2015
I helped run a Mega Transformer repair facility.
I took all incoming calls and directed them accordingly.
Responsible for all inside sales.
ABB has an extensive network, I met some very good people globally.
ABB gets 5 stars in my book.
Productive company
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 October 2015
I enjoyed my 19 years service with ABB. Very generous company. I missed my co-workers. Fair management. I enjoyed interacting with the clients. I learned so much about i.e. automation, robotics, water treatment facility etc.
Pros
Bonuses, good performance review
Cons
Long commute
Good People to work with
EPC Instrumentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2015
Honest and fair company to work for, above average benefits. Managers and Supervisors are easy to talk to and have an open door policy. Employees are treated with the utmost respect.
Continuous learning path.
Senior Purchaser-Supply Chain Management (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2015
Productive and good working place to learn new things, face new challenges every day. Good working environment with flexible hours.
Management is very supportive.
Nice environment for young people to develop
project scheduler (Current Employee) –  montreal31 August 2015
Professioal work place for young people to develop, offically english speaking environment and lots of opportunity to go oversea.
Pros
amazing cafetia
Great Start
Junior Hardware Automation Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2015
Working at ABB started my career. I learned alot from the people around me. My coworkers helped everyone out with their vast knowledge.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Lack of Training
Excellent first foray into the world of Electrical Engineering
ELECTRICAL EIT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2015
The people and their respective personalities, skill sets, knowledge and experience was fantastic. Everyone was willing to share and help you learn and improve and I couldn't have asked for more as an entry level engineer.
Pros
Crib, fruit basket
Cons
unorganized
Do not work for this company !
Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2015
Be very careful with this company, in particular which business unit
you apply to.
In general, I was incredibly surprised at the complete lack of integrity displayed by management and the company in general. They covered just about every type of management transgression I can think of (lying, bullying, berating, manipulation). At some point you have to think that this behaviour is driven from the top down.

Having said the above, there are some good people that work here so obviously everyones experience is not the same. But again, I am a 20 + year professional who has worked for several big corporations and I have never seen or witnessed the type of behaviour displayed by the management of this company.
Pros
Cons
Lack of integrity throughout management
The right place to work in
Service Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 July 2015
Great benefits and Open environment to express yourself
Flexible working from home option
Great team and co-workers
Supportive managers
High investment on training and development
Great company to work for!
Buyer / Planner / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 July 2015
ABB is a great company with many benefits, room for advancement, dealing with many different countries and cultures! Outstanding training and travel opportunities within in the company!
Pros
Advancement opportunites!
Generally a good company but significant rebuilding in progress
consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 June 2015
The Enterprise Software group is in the process of rebuilding (integrating with ABB) and economic restructuring. It may take a couple of years for any R&D investment and ABB marketing attention to pay off after several years of erosion. (Both had been neglected for some time).
Pros
Flexible hours. Able to work from home
Cons
Often overtime is required
Fun and Fair place to work
QC Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 April 2015
They are just like any other company, fair, saftey orientated, team atmosphere, offers benefits, family balance and you dont feel like just a number
Very well structured organization
Mechanical engineering intern and part-time worker (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC28 March 2015
This company has good management, good facilities and a good work atmosphere. I learned how to work within a multi-disciplinary team, how to follow various projects at the same time and improved my CAD skills.
Pros
Great cafeteria
workplace environment
install panels
terminate panels
upgrades in the plant
follow direction of foreman
work well as a team or individually
enthusiastic, always willing to learn more
work well under pressure to meet deadlines
OIL and Gas Engineering work, Involved in PRE-HAT (Pre – Hardware Acceptance Test, Wellhead Modules
INSTRUMENTATION specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2015
- Involved in PRE-HAT (Pre – Hardware Acceptance Test) activities for projects of (SAGD) Steam-Assisted Gravity Drainage Project.
- MRB’s reviews, Vendor documents approvals.
- Wellhead modules and Test Separators inspections and functional tests.
- Instrument troubleshooting and Calibrations.
Pros
Good Coordination, Team work attitude, respectful working environment
Cons
Travelling out of town, Short notice for urgent jobs