ABB Employee Reviews

Good
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2017
Average Good company, nothing special just work for while and it the promotion and salary is increased then stick to it other wise you make the decision on hanging out
Review
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON21 September 2017
Although I was only contracted for a short term ABB was a great company to work for. I preformed Quality Assurance tasks with them and they were a very well managed group.
assembler operator
Shear operator assembler crane operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 September 2017
KkLearned a lot from core steel cutting crane operating course Philip M assembly assembler it was a very good place until they closed the doors in Guelph I was a place I wish I could have worked for her for the rest of my life
Provided a challenging workplace with great people.
VP Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 September 2017
Global employer, my office was +500, my department Power Generation was +100. My position provided support to internal and external personnel. Enjoyed all areas of the job.
Great Place to work
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS11 September 2017
Team work is a policy from top management to lowest tier. Great company to work for.Everybody is supportive of each other and feels like second home. Would love to work for ABB again any time.
ABB is a good company to work for - not a great one!
Director - Electrification and Automation Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2017
ABB is a large engineering and technical services company with world headquarters based in Zurich, Switzerland. ABB operates in most countries on Earth and employees about 150,000 employees. Even though ABB has significant operations in North America, there is a heavy European flavour to their corporate culture, so please be aware of this. When I worked in Canada, there was a marked downside to the Canadian leadership and it was because of this, I resigned. Most of that leadership ladder has since been fired or has resigned (mostly fired), so things have improved so I am told.

ABB had a matrix management structure which is typical of European companies, which means, in simple terms, that you can have two or more bosses, who can have conflicting agendas putting you in the middle to try to figure out who you want to please the most (you can never win with this deal, believe me). In my case, I had 14 Division Managers to report to across the top of the grid and a national executive on the vertical. Writing a strategic plan and trying to get buy-in from all stakeholders will try your patience to the max because most of these Divisional people will be a complete stranger to you when you start and will be an almost-complete stranger to you when you leave because you probably will never meet them in person (other than through electronic media). It can be a very lonely professional existence.

Because of poor decisions in the 1980's and 90's, ABB almost became insolvent. As such, ABB's appetite for risk is low, if not almost zero. So, if you have a big project costing any money,
  more... say even a million to put a low number out there, you have to apply for the money as if you were applying for a bank loan for that amount. In previous lives, I could make a million dollar decision based on the facts presented by PowerPoint in a single meeting. Having to deal with this concentration of power in Zurich was frustrating and ridiculous.

All said, I would rate ABB as a 3.5/5 based on the company I knew at the end of the last decade. Do more research on today's ABB to make an informed decision.
Pros
Prestigious reputation for quality service
Cons
No free lunches
Review
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 September 2017
An interesting and challenging place to work, with the opportunity to learn a lot given it's global presence and many business units.

Snr Managements allow you to think and make strategic decions based on your experience.
One of the best company.
Shop/Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
Close encounter in all aspect of transformer, from maintenance to a brand new installation, repair and reconditioning of the transformer will give you a lot of important and useful information that makes you a highly qualified and experience individual.
Pros
Excellent Medical experience
Cons
Corporate card company policy
Productive workplace
Project Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 September 2017
ABB is a very professional company that offers its employees career opportunities. Its multicultural culture makes it a very interesting place to work.
Extremely demanding
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 August 2017
Certain jobs in the company is very demanding , the work is not distributed evenly. 247 work environment culture in the division I was working for. Great environment and facility. Good experience is begin earned for the Senior Management

Want to know more about ABB?

Ask a question
Sexist employer
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QC14 August 2017
Marketing positions are not valued in this company. Was a victim of sexism many times. Often left by myself with no objectives to look forward to. Bad management was leaving employees by themselves not knowing what was going on in the company.
Pros
flexibility and travel opp
Cons
sexism, bad management, no teamwork
Great
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 June 2017
It was a great learning experience! Spent my whole apprenticeship there and learned a lot from some good people. Good people to work with, varied experiences all around.
A productive fun place to work in
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
I interact with a lot of senior desigers, engineers, and project managers on a daily basis. It is a team environment.
I learn mostly in MCC electrical building design involving 3D modelling for my 4 years of work. Also did piperack design and grounding. The work was quite interesting to me. Work palce culture was great as it was diversified.
I really enjoyed working there especially with the people I see on a daily basis. They are friendly and willing to teach me and to grow.
Pros
I really like the paid stats holidays and company paid holidays
established company
Engineering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 May 2017
typical day starts early, with communications to various offices around the world, following up on team activities both completed and to be completed. Office time includes many meetings and problem solving, both technical and schedule related. Late day includes more communications with team personnel located in other offices around the world.
Pros
bonus
Cons
Good, supportive and friendly superiors and fellow workers.
Wiring Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
Working with ABB is challenging. Building panels is not an easy job but with my skills and efficiency, the outcome of my job always resulted with the good quality and completed on time. Soft sound of music in the workplace also help us work relaxed but efficient. It was also fan having our stampede meals during the stampede season, Ice cream on summertime. Hardest part of the job is doing bunch of projects at the same time and under time pressure...but still can accomplish with good quality and on time.
Directeur qualité et superviseur d'usine
Directeur qualité et superviseur d'usine (Former Employee) –  Montreal6 May 2017
Beaucoup aimé le milieu de travail.

2 remplacements.
Flexible place to work with.
Business Developer-Sales (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 May 2017
Good company to work with high paying salaries for a large territorial sales coverage. Once hired no actual classroom technical training provided...you will end up doing product self study while starting doing sales calls with major customers. Training are provided at a later date.
Pros
Good team collaboration and integrative stype working environment.
Cons
Too much pressures from national sales manager. Micro-management style.
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QC29 April 2017
ABB gives a great work/life balance, with a very nice work environment and nice attitude from management.

As an engineer I find it to be a great place to work.
Pros
Great environment and learning opportunities.
Cons
Not much career mobility or salary improvement.
A little slow moving but a good place to work.
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 April 2017
ABB has a fairly relaxed culture. It was a good place to work that payed fairly well. However, it was fairly Bureacratic which sometimes resulted in things not getting done as efficiently as possible.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 March 2017
Good place to work , result oriented culture. professional environment . competitive products.
pro: Above average pay
con: career advancement limitation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABB. Our community is ready to answer.