ABB Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to work at, European mentality
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Lachine, QCJune 30, 2016
ABB is a very big company without a rigid structure for every job. This means that you can pretty much mold the job to your expectations.

The financial controls are very strict which is great since you can't wander off for long before someone steps in.

I actually really like working at ABB, overall I think it's the best company I worked at. The only issue I see at this time is the advancement. It's really complicated to move up or in my case to move to a different location in the company.
Pros
Gym, table tennis, social club
Cons
Advancement is very difficult
ABB Employer As per Contract work
Site Administrator Series Capacitor Power Station (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJune 20, 2016
Overall I enjoyed my work as a contracted office administrator.

As there were 2 divisions ABB Power Systems/ABB Power Automations. The only issues I found was the sometime lack of communication between divisions when job requirements required it.

Individually I had no problems working individually with management of either division. My preference was for working under the ABB Power Systems Division.

Of Note: ABB was also responsible for the robotic arm in the movie Ironman 3.
Excellent professional working environment, . A lot of smart people who became my mentors, I learned a lot from them.
ELECTRICAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2016
Excellent place to work in if you are a rookie designer, I like the fact that nobody in the office will belittle or humiliate you if you ask questions to technical stuff that you don't know about yet, even stupid questions because asking questions are actually encouraged, there is a saying in the office that "there are no stupid questions". This working environment really helped me learn, grow and acquire knowledge fast.

Everyone is a professional and anyone who violates the code of ethics are immediately weeded out.
Pros
free fruit basket every week. relatively flexible working hours.
Cons
long commute, at least for me.
Company that changes for change sake
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 27, 2016
Management driven by global group with single minded focus on profitability. True 'large' company mentality.
Reinvents its business model every three years and returns to where it started every six to nine years. Endless cycles of hiring / firing.
Focus on your job but don't be surprised when they are done with you.
Pros
compensation good
Cons
little value given to its largest asset... people.
Very professional working environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 6, 2016
Working at ABB helps me to obtain a very thorough understanding of finance control and planning, accounting reporting and SOX control. Working with the management team and other co-team members has been a wonderful learning experience for me in such fields as managing process improvement projects, developing KPIs, risk managements as well as developing a strong communication skills.
Pros
Creative and challenging working environment
Cons
Extended long working hours
Excellent place to work
Robotics Spare Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 2, 2016
-9-5 business environment. Professional yet Friendly
-Customers are key to all businesses success. What ever it takes, try your best to keep the customer satisfied. Follow-up Follow-up.
-Management is A1. Thank you
-All co-workers were very kind and helpful.
-The hardest part of the job was definitely time management and attention to detail. However the Team Environment helped with these issues. It definitely was a fast paced environment at times.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the Robotics Team which included many other departments world wide.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Workload at times. Stress
work hard and keep your head down
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
show up do your job go home. management tens to take advantage of its workers here. foremen and lead hands are the life blood of this organization, they are responsible for large amount of the project with heavy pressure from upper management
Pros
great bennfits
Cons
hard to get ahhead here
was a very good place to work
Lead Desktop Support Technician for Western Canada (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta CanadaMay 14, 2016
ABB was a good place to work coworkers very easy to get along with.Fixing on-site and off-site problems and Imac work.Management
was very supportive of the workers.
Pros
flexible work time
Cons
clients very demanding
Professional
Contract Electrical Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 5, 2016
Starts with a meeting in the morning and ends with the meeting. I believed those meeting are every helpful on every task. It makes the project become accurate and efficient. Workers are also helpful.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Fine
Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 11, 2016
It was a good place to work. ABB gave me the opportunity to learn more than I could otherwise. My most enjoyable feeling was when a project was finally completed and I saw it operate properly.
Pros
Some Good
Cons
Some Bad
Productive and fun workplace
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 10, 2016
Its a great place to work. The management is very flexible who invest in Employee training and personal development. The co workers are very nice and cooperative.
fun atmosphere
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
the hardest part of the job was commuting to company every day.it was not accessible by public transport and it was in the far south east of the town.
Pros
free good quality coffee
Cons
difficult to reach the company
Terrible management, Terrible Pay.
QC Inspector / Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
No room for advancement unless you're friends with someone high up. The pay was terrible, they treated their apprentices like garbage, and the working culture was very clique. you never felt secure here, as people who weren't in the "cool" crowd were constantly picked on and belittled. they promoted people with no industrial experience just because they were friends with the construction manager, that made for a lovely time, having someone boss you around and micromanage, that knew absolutely nothing about industrial electrical work.
Good place to start
Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 12, 2016
Great place to learn how to work in a corporate environment coming from an academic background. Good balance of technical, commercial and legal.
ABB was a very good company to work for. Skills were reckognized and advancement was awarded.
Liaison for the Western Region/Bid Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 12, 2015
I helped run a Mega Transformer repair facility.
I took all incoming calls and directed them accordingly.
Responsible for all inside sales.
ABB has an extensive network, I met some very good people globally.
ABB gets 5 stars in my book.
Good group of guys to work with
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 18, 2015
It was a really good group of guys to work with, and the foreman was very easy to get along with. They were very organized. typical day included cable pull, or termination.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Short term work
Productive and Cool environment
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Typically my day starts at 7:30am. Daily meeting with my Lead Designer about ongoing projects progress. Drawing updates, special reviews, design meetings etc. Take special assignment if any or continue with ongoing project drawings. Drawings were related to Electrical Engg. for Oil & Gas SAGD projects.
I was totally new to this kind of concept compared to my previous experience. But the team or co-workers were awesome in all aspects. I was able access any support regarding design, drafting and engineering. Most of the co-workers were very senior but very down to earth kind of nature and with helping mentality.
Initially it was very hard for me to co-ordinate the system working. I only knew about the project was Control system drawings, as I had some previous hands-on experience in that field. But managed to understand the project and co-ordinate it within two months.
Most enjoyable part of job was at the lunch time where we used to get together at kitchen and take our lunch and followed by an afternoon walk for 15 minutes outside the office.
Management was awesome, easy to approach, mentoring and helpful.
Pros
Free lesson and lunch once in a month
A good company to work for but the management left alot to be desired
RAP Program Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Various, ABNovember 25, 2015
The job itself was very fast-paced, coworkers were relatively good but the personnel in management were not approachable.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
unapproachable management
Very friendly environment
Senior Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
Supportive management and stakeholders and co-workers
Good environment when I worked on site during commissioning and construction
Lunch together with client, management and co-workers
Very good
Electrical Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
ABB is a very good company to work for.
The management is excellent, the colleagues are friendly.
The schedule is flexible.