ABB Employee Reviews in Canada

ABB Employer As per Contract work
Site Administrator Series Capacitor Power Station (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJune 20, 2016
Overall I enjoyed my work as a contracted office administrator.

As there were 2 divisions ABB Power Systems/ABB Power Automations. The only issues I found was the sometime lack of communication between divisions when job requirements required it.

Individually I had no problems working individually with management of either division. My preference was for working under the ABB Power Systems Division.

Of Note: ABB was also responsible for the robotic arm in the movie Ironman 3.
Company that changes for change sake
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 27, 2016
Management driven by global group with single minded focus on profitability. True 'large' company mentality.
Reinvents its business model every three years and returns to where it started every six to nine years. Endless cycles of hiring / firing.
Focus on your job but don't be surprised when they are done with you.
Pros
compensation good
Cons
little value given to its largest asset... people.
Very professional working environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 6, 2016
Working at ABB helps me to obtain a very thorough understanding of finance control and planning, accounting reporting and SOX control. Working with the management team and other co-team members has been a wonderful learning experience for me in such fields as managing process improvement projects, developing KPIs, risk managements as well as developing a strong communication skills.
Pros
Creative and challenging working environment
Cons
Extended long working hours
Excellent place to work
Robotics Spare Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 2, 2016
-9-5 business environment. Professional yet Friendly
-Customers are key to all businesses success. What ever it takes, try your best to keep the customer satisfied. Follow-up Follow-up.
-Management is A1. Thank you
-All co-workers were very kind and helpful.
-The hardest part of the job was definitely time management and attention to detail. However the Team Environment helped with these issues. It definitely was a fast paced environment at times.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the Robotics Team which included many other departments world wide.
Pros
Team Environment
Cons
Workload at times. Stress
work hard and keep your head down
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
show up do your job go home. management tens to take advantage of its workers here. foremen and lead hands are the life blood of this organization, they are responsible for large amount of the project with heavy pressure from upper management
Pros
great bennfits
Cons
hard to get ahhead here
Terrible management, Terrible Pay.
QC Inspector / Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
No room for advancement unless you're friends with someone high up. The pay was terrible, they treated their apprentices like garbage, and the working culture was very clique. you never felt secure here, as people who weren't in the "cool" crowd were constantly picked on and belittled. they promoted people with no industrial experience just because they were friends with the construction manager, that made for a lovely time, having someone boss you around and micromanage, that knew absolutely nothing about industrial electrical work.
fun atmosphere
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
the hardest part of the job was commuting to company every day.it was not accessible by public transport and it was in the far south east of the town.
Pros
free good quality coffee
Cons
difficult to reach the company
ABB was a very good company to work for. Skills were reckognized and advancement was awarded.
Liaison for the Western Region/Bid Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 12, 2015
I helped run a Mega Transformer repair facility.
I took all incoming calls and directed them accordingly.
Responsible for all inside sales.
ABB has an extensive network, I met some very good people globally.
ABB gets 5 stars in my book.
Good place to start
Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 12, 2016
Great place to learn how to work in a corporate environment coming from an academic background. Good balance of technical, commercial and legal.
Good group of guys to work with
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 18, 2015
It was a really good group of guys to work with, and the foreman was very easy to get along with. They were very organized. typical day included cable pull, or termination.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Short term work
A good company to work for but the management left alot to be desired
RAP Program Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Various, ABNovember 25, 2015
The job itself was very fast-paced, coworkers were relatively good but the personnel in management were not approachable.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
unapproachable management
Productive and Cool environment
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Typically my day starts at 7:30am. Daily meeting with my Lead Designer about ongoing projects progress. Drawing updates, special reviews, design meetings etc. Take special assignment if any or continue with ongoing project drawings. Drawings were related to Electrical Engg. for Oil & Gas SAGD projects.
I was totally new to this kind of concept compared to my previous experience. But the team or co-workers were awesome in all aspects. I was able access any support regarding design, drafting and engineering. Most of the co-workers were very senior but very down to earth kind of nature and with helping mentality.
Initially it was very hard for me to co-ordinate the system working. I only knew about the project was Control system drawings, as I had some previous hands-on experience in that field. But managed to understand the project and co-ordinate it within two months.
Most enjoyable part of job was at the lunch time where we used to get together at kitchen and take our lunch and followed by an afternoon walk for 15 minutes outside the office.
Management was awesome, easy to approach, mentoring and helpful.
Pros
Free lesson and lunch once in a month
Very friendly environment
Senior Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
Supportive management and stakeholders and co-workers
Good environment when I worked on site during commissioning and construction
Lunch together with client, management and co-workers
Very good
Electrical Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
ABB is a very good company to work for.
The management is excellent, the colleagues are friendly.
The schedule is flexible.
Productive company
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 6, 2015
I enjoyed my 19 years service with ABB. Very generous company. I missed my co-workers. Fair management. I enjoyed interacting with the clients. I learned so much about i.e. automation, robotics, water treatment facility etc.
Pros
Bonuses, good performance review
Cons
Long commute
Do not work for this company !
Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2015
Be very careful with this company, in particular which business unit
you apply to.
In general, I was incredibly surprised at the complete lack of integrity displayed by management and the company in general. They covered just about every type of management transgression I can think of (lying, bullying, berating, manipulation). At some point you have to think that this behaviour is driven from the top down.

Having said the above, there are some good people that work here so obviously everyones experience is not the same. But again, I am a 20 + year professional who has worked for several big corporations and I have never seen or witnessed the type of behaviour displayed by the management of this company.
Pros
Cons
Lack of integrity throughout management
Not too bad
electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 18, 2015
ABB was good to work for as far as employees go. The electrical engineering and building design team has their issues, though.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Bad spot to get to
Innovative work place and life long lerning experience. Company organized parties are fun filled.
Power Systems Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 10, 2015
I have worked hydro, thermal and solar power plant projects with substations.
The power projects of complex nature demands innovative solution. Engineering of the systems, design, layout, procurement, time schedule require team work with regular interface, coordination and attending many types of issues on daily basis.
It is important and a must to assimilate the specifications, contractual scope, owner and consultant expectations in the design, procurement and execution. Not to forget the contract changes for additional cost and time for additional work.
Job stress and multi tasking cooperation results in a project which becomes a mile stone and brings smile to all parties working for the project.
Job in ABB is challenging as well as interesting and helpful for personal growth of technical knowledge.
Pros
In-house and external training, and regular reviews of projects, and lessons learn meetings on project completion are eye opener for team members.
Cons
Higher expectations, loss of focus on project management
Excellent first foray into the world of Electrical Engineering
ELECTRICAL EIT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 14, 2015
The people and their respective personalities, skill sets, knowledge and experience was fantastic. Everyone was willing to share and help you learn and improve and I couldn't have asked for more as an entry level engineer.
Pros
Crib, fruit basket
Cons
unorganized
Good People to work with
EPC Instrumentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
Honest and fair company to work for, above average benefits. Managers and Supervisors are easy to talk to and have an open door policy. Employees are treated with the utmost respect.