ABB Employee Reviews

Innovative company
Practical Training (Former Employee) –  Bezirk Zürich, ZH15 December 2017
Great company to work for in research in the Aeronautical field. The location is wonderful, close to Zurich and a few hours from the Alps. The colleagues are great and the work ethic is well balanced.
Pros
Interesting work
great work, good management
Shop assembler (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 December 2017
ABB has a reputation for excellence and ABB Whitby is no exception.

The engineering staff is well equipped and being a home business it has that feel of caring from management.
Pros
indoor work
Cons
small staff
bon
Concepteur mécanique (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC4 December 2017
bon simple efficace. L'entreprise est en plein développement avec les qualités et les défaut qui s'y rattachent
Pros
motivant
Cons
localisation
Very interesting place to work in
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Karlskrona kommun27 November 2017
Very nice work atmosphere and staff. I learnt better Swedish language from my colleagues, and how to organize and read the documents in detail. For me the working place was ideal as it is very varied in people from different places.
Small crew, great to work with
Fourth Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2017
The crew was a small one compared to what Im used to but was easy to get along with and everyone was a good worker. The lead hands and foremen were easy to communicate with and they gave clear instructions
Great company
Electrical Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Various locations15 November 2017
A typical work day for me was: Get to work in the morning, have my coffee, meet up with the crew for our morning tool box meeting, get my job, do FLHA, go to work for the day.
new in construction business
Permit Co-ordinator / Lockout Authority HVDC Bldg (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia3 November 2017
Communication between groups is non-existent , it is a look out for yourself environment . People working in the wrong positions or simply not qualified to have the position
Pros
close to home
Cons
no communication
environnement de travail productif et agréable
Charge D'affaire (Current Employee) –  Annaba26 October 2017
environnement de travail productif et agréable avec Equipe de ABB.
management ABB agréable.
Pros
Repas gratuit, Transport gratuit
Good
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2017
Average Good company, nothing special just work for while and it the promotion and salary is increased then stick to it other wise you make the decision on hanging out
Review
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON21 September 2017
Although I was only contracted for a short term ABB was a great company to work for. I preformed Quality Assurance tasks with them and they were a very well managed group.
assembler operator
Shear operator assembler crane operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 September 2017
KkLearned a lot from core steel cutting crane operating course Philip M assembly assembler it was a very good place until they closed the doors in Guelph I was a place I wish I could have worked for her for the rest of my life
Provided a challenging workplace with great people.
VP Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 September 2017
Global employer, my office was +500, my department Power Generation was +100. My position provided support to internal and external personnel. Enjoyed all areas of the job.
Great Place to work
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS11 September 2017
Team work is a policy from top management to lowest tier. Great company to work for.Everybody is supportive of each other and feels like second home. Would love to work for ABB again any time.
ABB is a good company to work for - not a great one!
Director - Electrification and Automation Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2017
ABB is a large engineering and technical services company with world headquarters based in Zurich, Switzerland. ABB operates in most countries on Earth and employees about 150,000 employees. Even though ABB has significant operations in North America, there is a heavy European flavour to their corporate culture, so please be aware of this. When I worked in Canada, there was a marked downside to the Canadian leadership and it was because of this, I resigned. Most of that leadership ladder has since been fired or has resigned (mostly fired), so things have improved so I am told.

ABB had a matrix management structure which is typical of European companies, which means, in simple terms, that you can have two or more bosses, who can have conflicting agendas putting you in the middle to try to figure out who you want to please the most (you can never win with this deal, believe me). In my case, I had 14 Division Managers to report to across the top of the grid and a national executive on the vertical. Writing a strategic plan and trying to get buy-in from all stakeholders will try your patience to the max because most of these Divisional people will be a complete stranger to you when you start and will be an almost-complete stranger to you when you leave because you probably will never meet them in person (other than through electronic media). It can be a very lonely professional existence.

Because of poor decisions in the 1980's and 90's, ABB almost became insolvent. As such, ABB's appetite for risk is low, if not almost zero. So, if you have a big project costing any money,
  more... say even a million to put a low number out there, you have to apply for the money as if you were applying for a bank loan for that amount. In previous lives, I could make a million dollar decision based on the facts presented by PowerPoint in a single meeting. Having to deal with this concentration of power in Zurich was frustrating and ridiculous.

All said, I would rate ABB as a 3.5/5 based on the company I knew at the end of the last decade. Do more research on today's ABB to make an informed decision.
Pros
Prestigious reputation for quality service
Cons
No free lunches
Review
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 September 2017
An interesting and challenging place to work, with the opportunity to learn a lot given it's global presence and many business units.

Snr Managements allow you to think and make strategic decions based on your experience.
One of the best company.
Shop/Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
Close encounter in all aspect of transformer, from maintenance to a brand new installation, repair and reconditioning of the transformer will give you a lot of important and useful information that makes you a highly qualified and experience individual.
Pros
Excellent Medical experience
Cons
Corporate card company policy
Productive workplace
Project Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 September 2017
ABB is a very professional company that offers its employees career opportunities. Its multicultural culture makes it a very interesting place to work.
Extremely demanding
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 August 2017
Certain jobs in the company is very demanding , the work is not distributed evenly. 247 work environment culture in the division I was working for. Great environment and facility. Good experience is begin earned for the Senior Management
Sexist employer
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QC14 August 2017
Marketing positions are not valued in this company. Was a victim of sexism many times. Often left by myself with no objectives to look forward to. Bad management was leaving employees by themselves not knowing what was going on in the company.
Pros
flexibility and travel opp
Cons
sexism, bad management, no teamwork
Great
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 June 2017
It was a great learning experience! Spent my whole apprenticeship there and learned a lot from some good people. Good people to work with, varied experiences all around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABB. Our community is ready to answer.