AAR Corp.

AAR Corp. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Extremely busy and always something to do
Lead A&P mechanic - A&P mechanic on heavy checks (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: paycheck
Cons: not much time with family, lay offs, work hours
Get a job assigned and complete it. Spend a lot of time at work. Learned a whole lot about aircraft. Most of the management was good. Co-workers are great people. Great paychecks and good people to work with.
Material Handler
Material Handler (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 26, 2015
Women are a minority and the department I was in didn't respect the women that worked there. Constant write ups for no reason, and I couldn't wait to clock out of there because I felt like I was being watched, and disrespected
Great Company
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Wood Dale, ILJanuary 23, 2015
Great Company however there is no job security.
Typical 8:30-5:30 job.
AAR
Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Lake Charles, LAJanuary 15, 2015
I enjoyed the work, and the pace of the work environment. Because this was a contract position, I was lacking job security.
best and worst part of this job
a&p (Former Employee), indianapolis inJanuary 9, 2015
worst clocking in
best clocking out.
I was a helicopter mechanic and have learned everything about it from leadership and superiors who cared and took their work seriously. Not at AAR. everyone hated being there as did I.
Just horrible
Floor worker (Current Employee), Goldsboro NCDecember 12, 2014
Pros: benefits are good if you can afford them
Cons: while everyone hopes this new project will take off, . you can seriously tell everyone doubts it. so i have my doubts this plant will take off again.
This has to be one of the worst companies I ever worked for.

This plant is on their last leg.

The management actually insults the people on the floor, and talks about how they use to do drugs on the job.

The management has no real hopes that this company will be around in the area in 6 months to a year. (They lost ONE contract, and went from 750+ people to 36 a few months ago.)

The company virtually has no systems in place to actually move forward with their current project, other than try and see what happens.

The company uses a remote connection for all their systems. This means you get log out of their systems all the time, the info is only goes down a line, there is a lot of lag, and it takes 4 hours (not joking) to do a 20 minute job.

The company has a horrible problem with just leaving things out, and having metal shavings all over the place on FOD free zones.

You only get a 15 min break

You will be counted late if you are 4 min late, and you will get a point against you if you come in 10 min before your shift.
(You can get 1 point per hour, and you will lose your job after 25 points)
The worst part about this is the clock in/out things don't work half the time.

The pay vs work is not there (so you may not be able to afford the benefits)

Both the people on the floor and the management will lie to your face. Even more so when there is no way to fact check what they are talking about.

You will get be punish for using your vacation days.

There is a complete segregation between the blue-collar and white-collar workers. To the point where many of these rules ONLY apply to the blue-collar workers.
White-collar workers can leave the building when they eat, come and go, keep their mobile devices with them, and dress however they want.
Do not do it.
Employee (Former Employee), Cadillac, miDecember 2, 2014
Cons: everything.
This place is a joke. If you are not in with the boys you will be out on your butt. Company refuses to compensate based on merit but will compensate for those (many) who sit around and lead the company down the wrong path. Other than a terrible work environment, terrible management and terrible compensation this would be a great place to work. Also H.R leads this company and directs Sr. Management, completely backwards people there.
Poor Management. Below average pay.
Senior MRO Sales Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 30, 2014
Pros: none.
Poor Supervisors. Very political. Lower than average pay.
great place to work
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Goldsboro, NCOctober 16, 2014
great place to work but defense contract expired and had a mass lay off
Good Company
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Garden City, NYOctober 10, 2014
Overall good atmosphere and good environment to work in. Learned how to manage multiple projects and the fabrication process for machining parts and tools.
Wonderful job field to apply mechanical skills.
Structures Mechanic/ Machinist II (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 3, 2014
Pros: company funded events for family and friends
Cons: management
A typical day at work will vary every day, from the possibility of simply painting a project to fabricating whole parts utilized in fixing aircraft. While in the job field i have learned to become a structural mechanic with sheet metal and a machinist capable of precision parts. Co-workers are usually the best to work in a team in this environment. There is always a hard part to any job every day considering all jobs vary in skill level and change daily, but everything is not impossible. The most enjoyable part of my job is allowing myself to further my skills in my field of expertise.
Exciting and great job experience to gain from emplotment in the world of aviation maintenance.
A&P Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: excellent healthcare benifits and generous number of vacation days and sick pay.
Cons: short lunches and breaks, as well as constant unneccessary meddling by upper managment.
Ive learned a lot of valuable information and had many hours of critical hands on experience with many systems and components at AAR Corp, which I hope will springboard me to my next job. The current management at AAR in Hot Springs however is weak and shaky at best, but with a little encouragement and a push toward intruding less into the daily work environment that floor mechanics share I believe that this could all be turned around for good.
The fellow employees that I have had the privilidge to work side by side with really made it an enjoyable experience for me. They are a great bunch of hard working guys that never let the difficulties of a job defeat their ability to overcome these obstacles and even despite the lack of faith in a solid management team they maintain a high level of morale that goes without saying.
Physically demanding
CNC Operator (Current Employee), Goldsboro, NCSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: hours that are easy for a parent.
Cons: mondane
I had been with this company for approximately 4 1/2 years and they have messed up my pay on three different occasions. Over the past two months they have neglected to pay me on two different occasions for work I had completed. Instead of making right there on the spot they made me wait until the next pay period which caused me to fall into higher tax brackets which took more money out of my pocket.
QC Inspector - Miami
QC Inspector (Former Employee), MiamiAugust 18, 2014
Cons: you put your license on the line every day!
Tough place to work. Low pay considering you need to be qualifed on every type of large commercial aircraft and every different company GMM. Very few A and Ps so the Inspector is working with mostly unqualified people.
fast paced aviation program deployment to contracters serving in Afghanistan
Travel Coordinator (Former Employee), Palm Bay, FLAugust 12, 2014
Pros: self gratification for serving our employees
Cons: employees who liked to complain about everything instead of making their job a success
As a Program Coordinator, my responsibilites were to maintain and order new passports, CAT cards for employees to have access on base for eating,etc in Afghanistan. There were fixed wing as well as rotor wing pilots, logistics clerks, flight ops and mechanics who required the proper paperwork for deployment, as well as purchasing the international tickets along with charter flights after arriving in Dubai for their rotation. I also was responsible for purchasing all tacticle clothing as well as ensuring the clothing had proper logo's to seperate AAR from other contractors working in Afghan. My co-workers were easy to work with as the job requirements were stressful at times. We worked as a team to assist each other during times when airline tickets needed to be changed. This was frequent.The hardest part of my job was attempting to maintain the work that was necessary to deploy our employees, as well as order and maintain all tactical gear for over 500 employees. I loved the challenge. It was a great job. I left the company in Nov of 2012 to be a full time care giver for my Mother who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or I would have remained with AAR.
Terrible company, great good old boys club!
Sheet Metal Mechanic (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2014
Pros: great city and a few good leads.
Cons: terrible management, good old boy club.
This company does not have it act together. Most of the supervisors are yes men. Managers will hire far too many people and the budgets are blown and people are laid off. Second shift would always take the brunt of the call offs. Day crew is mostly the good old boys in the sheet metal crew. No one above lead would have your back. I sent emails to the head corporate office and to the managers at the Indianapolis hanger about the extremely blown work cards and how this can't continue. One month later call offs four out of five nights. Another month later massive layoffs. I tell the manager in my hanager that escorted me out that I lost my job because of their incompetence and I get mark in my file that I have a bad attitude.
beware a&p licensed mechanics
aircraft mechanic (Former Employee), Indianapolis inJune 2, 2014
Pros: nice facility
Cons: cut corners, no integrity
Started aar as a contractor. All was great for a while then new d.o.m. took over. You could see things go downhill (lost contracts, lay offs etc.). Last straw was when sheetmetal crew was called into office and told to blend corrosion and sign off in limits so plane wont go late. Luckily I was on another job at the time. Cutting corners and pencil whipping are commonplace at aar. Please beware.
Not much Diversity. True Good ole boys system there.
Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee), Hot Springs, ARMay 25, 2014
Pros: no pros at all
Cons: leads are lazy and clueless.
typical day at work starts with entering in the main hanger and navigating thru the hoard of day workers standing around the time clock waiting to clock out while the hanger floor is engulfed with debris and trash.

i learned how to survive inside a good ole boy system.

no comment on management.

Co- workers were ok, kinda like a union but not a union.

no hard part of the job, you just stay on the same thing for however long you are there.

The christmas and thanksgivig parties.
Very productive place
AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), MiamiApril 17, 2014
There is much opportunity to learn while working there, but there is also a great deal of frustration.
A very oppressive environment
Engineering Services Manager (Current Employee), Goldsboro, NCMarch 19, 2014
Pros: the people.
Cons: lack of culture.
A typical day at this company has not been about the work but about who would be leaving next. I have learned that the culture within a company is the most important thing that should be fostered and have taken that for granted after many years of working at companies who worked hard to show they cared about their employees. Upper management here have been very oppressive. There is no opportunity for teleworking, but consultants are hired and they all work from home; their is no trust of the employees that they have hired; policies are written when they are needed; it is a very backwards environment. This has been the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part have been my co-workers. Everyone wants to do the right thing, but get frustrated trying because of the lack of support from management.

1 2 3

About AAR Corp.

AAR CORP. (AAR) is a diversified provider of products and services to the worldwide aviation and defense industries. The Company – Read more

AAR Corp. Photos