ALS Group is a diversified international analytical laboratory and testing services group which first established its operations in Queensland, Australia in 1975. The company processes more than 10 million samples per annum and is one of the largest analytical laboratory groups in the world. Its staff of over 12,000 operates out of over 300 locations in 50-plus countries throughout Australia, North America, South America, Africa, Europe and Asia. The ALS Environmental Business Unit provides high quality and dependable analytical testing data to assist consulting and engineering firms, industry, and government agencies around the world in making informed decisions for environmental projects. For more information please visit www.alsglobal.com.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
We are currently recruiting for a:
LABORATORY ANALYST (AN1)
Trace Metals (2 positions)
Location: ALS Environmental, Edmonton Inorganics (Metals)
Reports to: Inorganic Supervisor
Shift: Sunday to Thursday: Sunday 8am-4pm, Monday to Thursday 7am-3pm
Sunday to Thursday: Sunday 8am-4pm, Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm
Overtime as required depending on sample volumes.
Working as part of the Trace Metals Team, the Laboratory Analyst is responsible for all aspects of laboratory analysis including production, time management, quality control and turnaround time.
- Prepare samples of different matrices for analysis by CVAA, ICP and /or ICPMS;
- Responsible for instrument operation following documented specific methods and/or procedures;
- Perform instrument/equipment calibration, maintenance and repair as required;
- Carry out all required work scheduling and planning activities;
- Prepare all required reagents, standards, reference materials, etc.
- Carry out all required data processing (i.e. calculations, data review, data entry, archival, etc.),
- Carry out all required record-keeping & documentation;
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) requirements and adhere to strict QA/QC requirements;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Deliver accurate results to our clients in a timely manner,
- Technical decision making for non-routine, complex analyses or matrices,
- Monitor inventory of spare parts and consumables;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Intermediate user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical and process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
- Completion of a degree/diploma in Chemistry, or related discipline is required;
- Trace Metals analysis experience is an asset.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for a full shift;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
To apply please submit your resume no later than November 9, 2012. Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter via email or apply online at www.alsglobal.com.
Due to a high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – AN1 Trace Metals | Job ID 2012ED62” in the subject line will be considered.
We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For the employee referral bonus program this position is eligible for a Level B bonus award.