ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Technical Specialist (TS2)
Location: ALS Environmental – Burnaby, BC
Reports to: Inorganics Manager
Shift: Tuesday to Saturday or Sunday to Thursday 6:00am start on weekdays
About the Position
The Technical Specialist works as part of the departmental technical team to provide technical knowledge supporting various analytical functions – instrumentation, performance data, quality control and software administration.
The Technical Specialist works as a member of the Inorganics technical team to:
- Troubleshoot and repair departmental instrument systems (ICP, IC, Aquakem, etc.);
- Assist the Inorganics TS3 in advanced departmental instrument system troubleshooting and repair (HRICPMS, etc);
- Co-ordinate servicing of departmental equipment by outside providers;
- Assist the Inorganics TS1 in support equipment repair and trouble-shooting (balances, digestion blocks, ovens, etc);
- Order appropriate parts and supplies for above activities;
- Work with and troubleshoot departmental instrument software systems;
- Gas supply system trouble-shooting and maintenance (other than changing cylinders);
- Assist the Inorganics TS3 with implementation of new equipment, technology and methodologies;
- Assist the Inorganics TS1 with departmental volumetric and gravimetric calibrations;
- Summarize method performance and use info for Measurement Uncertainty, revalidation, etc.;
- Provide technical support for complex quality issues including batch data, rechecks, and CARs;
- Act as a technical resource for other ALSE staff and locations, etc.;
- May participate in National Technical team initiatives;
- May conduct or respond to Technical method audits as part of Quality Department initiatives;
- Accurately keep records in the appropriate document system for the above activities;
- Act as a trainer and mentor for other staff in Inorganics on items above;
- Self-directed Method Validation/Development/Troubleshooting and administration (Techsys, document write-up);
- SOP preparation and editing;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by Laboratory Supervisor or Manager.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks.
The ideal candidate would have:
- BSc. or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or related discipline;
- 3 years’ experience in Environmental Chemistry preferred.
You would also be:
- Strong logical problem solving and troubleshooting skills;
- Organized, highly motivated and detailed oriented individual;
- Proven time management and prioritization skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal);
- Familiarity with Seedpak, Excel and other MS Office applications.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than November 18, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – EV104 – TS2” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Geochemistry but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.