Quality and Safety Systems Coordinator (QA1)
Location: ALS Environmental – Grande Prairie, AB
Reports to: National Quality Manager and Grand Prairie Laboratory Supervisor
Shift: Monday to Friday, Day Shift
Some overtime coverage may occasionally be required.
About the Position:
Working as part of the National Quality Department under direct supervision of the National Quality Manager, the entry level Quality Systems Coordinator is responsible for organizing, implementing, maintaining, and monitoring the nationally defined Quality program objectives, policies and procedures for the Grande Prairie, Fort St John and Fort McMurray locations.
Working with the ALS regional and national safety managers, the Safety Coordinator oversees all aspects of the existing ALS Health and Safety Policy, and ensures a safe and secure work environment for all employees and visitors to the ALS Grande Prairie location.
Specific Quality Responsibilities:
- Communicate with the Lab Manager, Supervisors and Team Leaders to effectively implement harmonized policies and procedures;
- Organize and maintain the Proficiency Testing (PT) sample program;
- Update documents and maintain the document control and distribution systems;
- Ensure that LIMS QC acceptance criteria are in place for all local product codes, in accordance with national Data Quality Objectives;
- Create, maintain and monitor LIMS control charts;
- Maintain appropriate reference standards for performing traceable calibrations;
- Maintain an internal audit schedule and perform technical internal audits of test methods;
- Respond to Quality System audit reports;
- Track, review and approve method validation and revalidation;
- Review and monitor non-conformance, corrective action and needed improvements in the various reporting systems (e.g. bench-level records, CAR and Internal Audit and Assessment reports and the Technical Issues List);
- Assist with solving quality issues by helping lab staff to develop corrective action plans;
- Provide a monthly report on quality system performance regarding the implementation, suitability, successes and risks in the laboratory;
- Prepare on-site activities and responses to external audits;
- Provide quality-related training for new and existing employees and maintain records;
- Provide updated and projected PT sample and accreditation costs as requested;
- Participate in Quality Department meetings;
- Schedule, organize reports, and record minutes for Management Reviews;
- Maintain records of subcontract lab test qualifications and may perform qualifications;
- Schedule work and plan activities effectively to meet due dates;
- Provide up-to-date accreditation and recognition documentation for the ALS website;
- May track, approve, and/or perform volume and temperature calibrations;
- Conduct work following all required safety protocols;
- Other duties as assigned.
Specific Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Coordinate all Health and Safety, and workplace safety improvement objectives;
- Organize and chair monthly joint occupational health and safety committee meetings, as well as provide training to all meeting participants;
- Train new employees in Health and Safety Policies;
- Carry out and/or oversee all incident investigations, reports, and follow-ups;
- Organize and maintain the first aid team, first aid supplies, and first aid injuries;
- Maintain and update MSDS records stored on site;
- Co-ordinate and conduct semi-annual fire/evacuation drills;
- Assist in writing procedures, policies and educational material for the local safety program;
- Assist with exposure monitoring protocols and equipment checks;
- Coordinate with the lab staff, safety team members, and contractors to classify and dispose of hazardous waste;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to lift up to 40lbs/18kg.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or a related discipline (required);
- Minimum of two years laboratory experience (required);
- Previous Quality and/or safety experience (asset).
You would also have:
- Ability to convey a positive and professional image;
- Strong organizational, communication and leadership skills;
- Strong technical problem solving and troubleshooting skills;
- Proven time management skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to stay current in an ever-changing environment;
- Careful and meticulous work skills;
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills;
- Ability to speak in public and provided effective training;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs;
- Working knowledge of ALS LIMS (asset).
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should send apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than August 30, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “2013GP09” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 12 months ago