ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Assistant (LA2)
Location: ALS Environmental – Calgary, AB
Reports to: Organics Supervisor
Shift: Shift work will be required with possible afternoon and weekend coverage
About the Position
This position will be responsible for preparing client samples for extraction and analysis, and maintaining a clean and safe work environment.
- Generate work lists;
- Retrieve samples from storage (includes some lifting and carrying of soil and water samples);
- Measure sample mass/volume, add surrogates, perform extractions using common laboratory solvents;
- Addition of quality control standards such as matrix spike and surrogate solutions;
- Fill out bench sheets completely and accurately;
- Operate simple lab equipment: pipettes, shakers, soxhlets, centrifuges, analytical balances;
- Perform Flash Point analysis, % Moisture, Oil and Grease determination;
- Report and approve results for the above analysis;
- Set up TCLP extractions, Spontaneous Combustion testing;
- Prepare analytical standards, lab reagents;
- Organise workload to meet Turn Around Times (TAT’s) and hold times;
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) requirements, deviations must be approved by Supervisor or Manager;
- Adhere to strict QA/QC requirements;
- Must be available for overtime and shift work;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Able to climb stairs;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
- [If applicable] Non-smoker as the position requires preparation of bottles used for low level trace analyses.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but not required;
- Full training will be provided.
You would also be:
- Must be well organized, and able to work independently as well as a part of a team;
- Must be capable of working with minimal supervision;
- Must be able to multitask;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment;
- Strong communication skills written and verbal;
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, MS Excel.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 15, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENVR – LA2 Organics – Job ID 2013CL09 - CL” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 11 months ago