Laboratory Assistant/Office Support (LA3)
Location: ALS Environmental – Fort McMurray, AB
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Shift: Monday to Friday from 9:00am – 5:00pm, with some weekends required
About the Position:
The successful incumbent will be responsible for all sample login activities at the laboratory. The priority for this position will be to receive and organize samples, verify client information and enter the pertinent information into the laboratory data systems.
- Receive work orders as they arrive in the laboratory;
- Open and layout samples and paperwork to confirm all required samples have been received;
- Prepare client bottle orders for shipment;
- Enter all pertinent information into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) for login during peak times and to cover vacations etc.;
- Maintain close liaison with Login Staff, Account Managers and other lab staff to ensure the smooth delivery of our services to clients;
- Shipping and receiving duties as required;
- Transport samples into lab, some heavy lifting required (up to 20 kg);
- Liaise between Quality staff and Lab Manager & Analysts;
- Maintain Quality record keeping;
- Assist with Safety record keeping & meetings;
- Office Administrative Tasks, such as answering phones, prepare mailings, prepare schedules, and assist clients with ordering bottles;
- Invoice coding for receivables;
- Familiarity with all operations in the laboratory with strict adherence to SOPs and QA/QC program;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent (required);
- Some previous experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment (asset);
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety (asset);
- Previous experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (asset).
You would also have:
- Good English communication skills (auditory, verbal, written, and reading) as required;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) at a basic level;
- Basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
- Capability to perform repetitive tasks correctly in a fast-paced environment;
- Good organizational skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines such as Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Analytical and process oriented skills with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- A commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than July 15, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – Laboratory Assistant (LA3) – Job ID 2013FM04 - FM” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 13 months ago