ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Assistant (LA2)
Location: ALS Laboratory Group, Environmental Division – Edmonton, AB
Reports to: Trace Organics Supervisor
Shift: Day Shift (Tuesday to Friday 9-5, Saturdays 8-4)
About the Position
Responsible for organizing computer generated work lists and preparing client samples for extraction and analysis.
- Generate work lists from internal LIMS software (training is provided);
- Retrieve samples from storage;
- Measure sample mass/volume, add surrogates, perform extractions using common laboratory solvents;
- Addition of quality control standards such as matrix spike and surrogate solutions;
- Fill out bench sheets completely and accurately;
- Operate simple lab equipment such as pipettes, shakers, centrifuges, balances, etc.;
- Prepare analytical standards, lab reagents;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but not required.
You would also be:
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical and process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 26, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENV – Organics (LA2) | Job ID 2013ED07 - ED” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.