ALS Environmental provides an extensive range of environmental analytical testing services, including soil, water, air, biota, radiochemistry and industrial hygiene. We work closely with our clients to ensure their needs are met now and in the future.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued.
Laboratory Assistant (LA2)
Location: ALS Environmental – Calgary, AB
Reports to: Inorganics Supervisor
Shift: Shift work will be required with possible afternoon and weekend coverage
About the Position
This position is responsible for performing preparations, extractions and analysis on soil and water samples.
- Generate worklists;
- Retrieve samples from storage (includes some lifting and carrying of soils and water samples);
- Operate simple lab instrument/equipment such as pipettes, shakers, centrifuges, pH meters etc;
- Assist in performing microbiological analyses: membrane filtration, SRB/IRB testing, Collilert method testing, microtox and any other specific microbiological cultures preparation, verification;
- Perform instrument/equipment calibration, maintenance and repair as required;
- Calibration and use of pipettes;
- Perform sample preparation – filtration, screening, grinding, extraction and digestion;
- Prepare all required reagents, standards, reference materials, etc;
- Carry out all required data processing (i.e. calculations, data review, data entry, archival, etc.);
- Carry out all required record-keeping & documentation;
- General laboratory clean-up and maintenance;
- Clean and maintain glassware and lab ware;
- Assist in sample flow and archiving as well as data archiving;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- Perform all required quality control procedures;
- Produce all of the above within specific turnaround times;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Able to climb stairs;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but not required;
- Full training will be provided.
You would also be:
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical and process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than April 15, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “ENVR – LA2 Inorganics – Job ID 2013CL08 - Calgary” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 23 months ago