Laboratory Assistant (LA2)
Location: ALS Environmental – Edmonton, AB
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor or Team Leader
Shift: Graveyard Shift
About the Position:
This position will assist with routine laboratory functions, such as preparing client samples for analysis and routine lab maintenance. You will be working independently and in a team environment, with an emphasis on providing quality and efficient service to clients.
- Process samples in a timely manner, to meet client Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Prepare (drying, grinding, pasting, homogenizing), subsample, and extract samples of different matrices (ex. water, tissue, and soil) for analysis;
- Responsible for all required sample processing and analysis procedures;
- Clean glassware and laboratory equipment;
- Monitor and restock laboratory consumables/chemicals;
- Sample shelving, archiving, and disposal;
- Prepare reagents, standards, and reference materials;
- Perform all required record-keeping and documentation;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- Operate and maintain simple laboratory equipment;
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and adhere to strict QA/QC requirements;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent (required);
- Some previous experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment (asset);
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety (asset);
- Previous experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (asset).
You would also have:
- Good English communication skills (auditory, verbal, written, and reading) as required;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) at a basic level;
- Basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
- Capability to perform repetitive tasks correctly in a fast-paced environment;
- Good organizational skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines such as Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding requirements;
- Analytical and process oriented skills with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- A commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
Looking for further details?
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply online at www.alsglobal.com no later than August 22, 2013.
- Due to the high volume of resumes only candidates that state “2013ED31” in the subject line will be considered.
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS Environmental but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 18 months ago